Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

I'm basically a know-nothing, but it seems like the Zero W would have been better served by an edge connector like what you see on PCI cards or whatever. Then you could just slide headers or whatever module right on the thing.

Am I wrong?

Its probably not a benefit. having the same pinouts means better compatibility with anything that the normal Pi interacts with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Edge connector needs a socket, and then you attach wires to... What exactly? Another header set of vertical pins on the motherboard? Header pins are great because they're the smallest object a human can hand soldier a wire to, they're the universal interface for home projects for a reason.

They do sell a compute module with edge connectors for an so-dimn socket but they're designed for industrial customers which is a different market.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hadlock posted:

Edge connector needs a socket, and then you attach wires to... What exactly? Another header set of vertical pins on the motherboard? Header pins are great because they're the smallest object a human can hand soldier a wire to, they're the universal interface for home projects for a reason.

They do sell a compute module with edge connectors for an so-dimn socket but they're designed for industrial customers which is a different market.

The point was that if you wanted to attach wires you could use a header with a socket, and then modules wouldn't need any soldering. Just seems like it'd open new markets for them.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Thermopyle posted:

I'm basically a know-nothing, but it seems like the Zero W would have been better served by an edge connector like what you see on PCI cards or whatever. Then you could just slide headers or whatever module right on the thing.

Am I wrong?

Those card edge connectors are kinda rare and expensive now so it would probably cost more. You have more flexibility by soldering in your own headers too, like you can pick a right angle header, straight through header, female header, etc.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Solder nothing, jumper wires 4 life

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mod sassinator posted:

Those card edge connectors are kinda rare and expensive now so it would probably cost more. You have more flexibility by soldering in your own headers too, like you can pick a right angle header, straight through header, female header, etc.

For home projects, header pins are definitely the way to go. Similarly, if you are engineering a massive product run then you can just design the SOC right onto the board in the first place, no need for a daughterboard.

There is a middle-ground of short-run/bespoke products for the industrial/commercial markets, and advanced hobby projects, but it is definitely small. Again, you will either need to do SMT or have a breakout board (eg for prototyping) but the actual SODIMM socket is not expensive. Here's DigiKey's selection of 200-pin SODIMM sockets, which fit the RPi compute module.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'd prefer the socket side of header pins, since those can have a wire jammed in easily for testing and prototyping, but the pins are good enough.

I have one of those Zero cases with a breadboard attached and I just stick the wires right in the holes on my Zero W.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Though, I did just realize you can get a hammer header that you literally hit(!) into the holes on the zero...

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/gpio-hammer-header

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Thermopyle posted:

Though, I did just realize you can get a hammer header that you literally hit(!) into the holes on the zero...

So basically headers that mount by rivet-formed heads? Assuming it works reliably that's a super loving cool idea.

But, it's not like it's that much of a pain to just solder a quick row of through-hole headers. I am guessing those rivet headers are not really the best for mechanical reliability particularly under any sort of demanding physical condition (vibration, etc).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Thermopyle posted:

These are dope but they're always sold out in the states and getting them shipped direct from Pimoroni is $$$$$

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

So basically headers that mount by rivet-formed heads? Assuming it works reliably that's a super loving cool idea.

But, it's not like it's that much of a pain to just solder a quick row of through-hole headers. I am guessing those rivet headers are not really the best for mechanical reliability particularly under any sort of demanding physical condition (vibration, etc).
It's not hard but not everyone has a soldering station. Everyone has a hammer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I have the tools and the ability to solder it on, but I've done about 30 minutes of soldering work over the past 20 years...I'm super slow, messy, and not confident in the results.

In other words there's a huge required-skill-level difference between a hammer and soldering.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Soldering headers onto a pi zero or even a hat is also a long and boring slog and the pads are tiny and it sucks

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

By the time you get to pin 40 you generally know what you're doing and can go back and clean up pins 0-15.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It honestly takes less than two minutes if you know what you're doing and get into a rhythm. If you don't, then grab a practice board, but on some chill tunes, and :getin:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I have the tools and the ability to solder it on, but I've done about 30 minutes of soldering work over the past 20 years...I'm super slow, messy, and not confident in the results.

In other words there's a huge required-skill-level difference between a hammer and soldering.
I've seen a lot of fast soldering videos and its obviously a skill acquired via the exchange of your soul.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
It's all practice and the right tools. A good soldering station that actually keeps a constant temperature is also important. Many cheap/lovely ones, even in the age of digital temperature displays, are at the tip only somewhere in the ballpark of what they're displaying and this turns soldering into a guesswork which it should not be. A good way to practice is to get PCBs out of old electronics (not necessarily old computers, they could actually be worth money) and just practice soldering on them until you get it right. Even if you are good at soldering it's a good idea to have such PCBs lying around to freshen up if you haven't soldered in a while. I've soldered and desoldered 179-pin CPUs with nothing but a manual desoldering pump, a ~$100 soldering station and some roses metal. All practice.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The TS100 has been getting rave reviews and is like $60 on AliExpress. It's been favourably compared to way more expensive Wellers and the like.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I've noticed Raspbian does not have python3.6 in their stable repository. Does anyone know how the raspbian repository list works? I'm running the Jessie release (on an rpi1 model b), is there something like an unstable/experimental respository I can add to my apt sources.list?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

I've noticed Raspbian does not have python3.6 in their stable repository. Does anyone know how the raspbian repository list works? I'm running the Jessie release (on an rpi1 model b), is there something like an unstable/experimental respository I can add to my apt sources.list?

You'll have to compile it yourself, dunno how well it'll work on a Pi1 though.

https://gist.github.com/dschep/24aa61672a2092246eaca2824400d37f

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Daztek posted:

You'll have to compile it yourself, dunno how well it'll work on a Pi1 though.

https://gist.github.com/dschep/24aa61672a2092246eaca2824400d37f

I'll stick with 3.4 then, cheers.

As for webservers, is nginx still the go to lightweight http server or is it as bloated as apache httpd these days?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

LochNessMonster posted:

As for webservers, is nginx still the go to lightweight http server or is it as bloated as apache httpd these days?
Nginx is fine, HAProxy is another option if you're going to be doing a lot of reverse-proxying to a service running on your Pi.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I might in the future, so I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

edit: I noticed the raspbian repo currently uses nginx 1.6 which is a 3-4 year old release. I never really ran into problems of wanting to run more recent releases than my repos provided. What do I do, run a complete different distro with more up to date repositories? Are there distro's for the raspi that are more up to date, or should I just start compiling stuff I want myself (been ages since I did any of that and I vaguely remember lots of issues with make, make install and ./configure...)

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 26, 2017

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

LochNessMonster posted:

I might in the future, so I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

edit: I noticed the raspbian repo currently uses nginx 1.6 which is a 3-4 year old release. I never really ran into problems of wanting to run more recent releases than my repos provided. What do I do, run a complete different distro with more up to date repositories? Are there distro's for the raspi that are more up to date, or should I just start compiling stuff I want myself (been ages since I did any of that and I vaguely remember lots of issues with make, make install and ./configure...)
No way man, just add their APT sources or PPAs to your system and you'll be able to pull down the latest Nginx with minimal fuss: https://www.nginx.com/resources/wiki/start/topics/tutorials/install/#official-debian-ubuntu-packages

Just FYI this goes for most software packages. Ones available in the default, official Ubuntu repos are locked to a specific version that changes every major release of the OS. Instead of compiling from source (lol), look for a source or PPA that that package's maintainer offers, add it to your system, and then you'll be able to use APT to get more up-to-date software.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 26, 2017

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I was under the impression that normal repositories won't work on the raspi due to it having the armhf architecture instead of x86.

But that might be me mixing up docker container requirements for raspberry pi.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Debian/Ubuntu repositories aren't tied to a specific architecture​, they can have x86 and ARM and MIPS etc

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

xtal posted:

Debian/Ubuntu repositories aren't tied to a specific architecture​, they can have x86 and ARM and MIPS etc

drat, I was making it way to complicated for myself. I already looked into software specific repos but couldn't find any architecture references. Problem solved.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xtal posted:

I would imagine that nginx is probably in the Raspbian repos but I doubt nginx themselves maintain an armhf build (looking through their deb repository it appears they do not).

Porting to different architectures is a pain in general, and ARM can be a real rabbithole because there's a huge variety of instruction sets (v6, v7a, etc) and many of the chips have their own special-snowflake characteristics like hardfloat.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 27, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The like, six times I needed something on arm 7 (only the original pi is truly v6) and it wasn't precompilled for the arch, I was able to compile it myself. And this was 2 years ago. I'm sure once you really get out into the weeds you can find examples, but it's largely not an issue.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
How come it's apparently impossible to disable screensaver/powersaving mode on an RPI? We've tried with a Gen1 B, and an RPI 3 B, and regardless of where we disable or edit a config file, the goddamn thing keeps going into some sort of screen blanking/powersaving mode.

send help, because i'm about ready to throw this thing out the window.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Can someone point me in the right direction for a 2.4GHz radio receiver capable of 3 MBit speed? I found the rapidradio but it is only 2MBit. I want to make a thing that can receive my baby monitor's signal without using the receiver that came with the monitor. I know the monitor uses FHSS, is it a fool's errand to even try this or might I have some luck by activating the camera's sync mode then trying to track the signal as it hops? I'm guessing they aren't using a military grade prng to do their signal hopping, the algorithm might be simple enough to easily figure out.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just use WiFi, 802.11b/g/n/ac etc. will be way faster, more reliable, and cheaper than any weird custom 2.4ghz radio board. Setup a Pi on one end to grab the video signal with a USB video encoder and pipe it to another Pi or computer on your network.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Frobbe posted:

How come it's apparently impossible to disable screensaver/powersaving mode on an RPI? We've tried with a Gen1 B, and an RPI 3 B, and regardless of where we disable or edit a config file, the goddamn thing keeps going into some sort of screen blanking/powersaving mode.

send help, because i'm about ready to throw this thing out the window.

It's not a raspberry config thing, it's a kernel thing (at least if you're firing something off from cli, I don't know about lightdm/x). There's a command we used to shove into /etc/rc.local for it for our 'mount a share and run a video in and endless loop' pis. I'll see if I can dig up an image that had it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cool I'll need this in a bit, currently working on a project to use a display attached with a ribbon cable to the pi and run a digital photo frame.

While I'm thinking of it,
Is there a way to shut the pi down with a button via Python using gipo and a button?

I'll have them use a switch for the power supply to turn on.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
Unfortunately I nuked the image along with a good chunk of our fileshare last year when we sold the company. I'm not sure what would control video over the ribbon cable.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Don't want to control it, you can set it as a display, and use a touch screen I'd you wanted.. I'm just going to use it as a display. BUt wouldn't mind an elegant shut down button instead just unplug it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

mod sassinator posted:

Just use WiFi, 802.11b/g/n/ac etc. will be way faster, more reliable, and cheaper than any weird custom 2.4ghz radio board. Setup a Pi on one end to grab the video signal with a USB video encoder and pipe it to another Pi or computer on your network.

You're saying just set up a cheap USB webcam w/ the pi? Yeah, that's probably easier.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Or get the pi camera, they make cases that will take both, and they're really low profile (especially hooked to a zero)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

Or get the pi camera, they make cases that will take both, and they're really low profile (especially hooked to a zero)

Any recommendations for a microphone? I have a model B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

tater_salad posted:

While I'm thinking of it,
Is there a way to shut the pi down with a button via Python using gipo and a button?
There sure is, and it's easy as...OK, nope, not gonna do that.

I have one of these in a box somewhere that I had set up at one point, and it was stupid simple because the guy who makes them has a nice little prefab script for it right on the site. You can also just search for "Raspberry Pi power switch" and find a whole bunch of DIY versions.