Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

That dude might be dumber than any of the other backers you;ve highlighted except maybe redchris. but redchris is just much more malicious about everything.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

his nibs posted:

Meanwhile, in a space game that exists...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PP5M2mcoco

Is that what the update this morning was? That looks awesome :D

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Also, in 2942 there are no females except for one. Pusher.

The darkest timeline

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Exinos posted:

I liked the idea of .25% interest the best.

CHRIS ROBERTS DISCOVERED THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK THAT BANKS HATE! Take a loan at .25% interest and put all the money in a free checking account at .5% interest for infinite money!

Oh, it's hilarious. And they're still parroting it everywhere, believe it or not.

Ponzi posted:

After reading about the loan thing, I was looking at the filing history for F42, and I came across something I don't understand:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/charges/AHMo7d0tVN50wGM-FC6tbyhYlss

The CH webpage says there's a negative pledge, but when I look at the pdf, section 7 has this:

which seems contradictory. So what am I missing here?

It's correct. The 1st image, is of the loan, which has a negative pledge*

quote:

Question remains why they need such a small loan now (tax rebate is estimate below $5 million) and why they had to give the bank a floating charge and negative pledge. It’s not currency exchange rate, that is the biggest bullshit i ever heard because neither CIG nor the Bank knows how the pound will develop and it might even cost CIG more if the pound recovers.

Floating Charge means that from now on everything F42 UK does is covered as collateral even if it does not exist yet. They create a new ship, it’s automatically part of the collateral. Which extends to Star Citizen. The exclusion of Star Citizen is in name only (the IP).

Negative Pledge means that F42UK and parent company can not get any other loans. If for example CIG US would try to get a loan in the US and send money to CIG UK they would be in breach of contract and default on the loan.

This is typically only done for bailout loans. Never for a simple advance on tax were you typically only put up the tax credit as security and maybe a savings account.

The Bank obviously thought that there is a good chance CIG will not make it to the end of the fiscal year to get the tax rebate and therefor asked them to put up everything. This is a private Bank that knows when to make profit and it is pretty obvious that they have attached a very high interest rate on this and hope CIG will default“

The 2nd image, is just saying that nothing is preventing them from taking out another loan. e.g. a loan with another party in order to pay off this loan. The bank doesn't care if that other loan creates a negative pledge, as they're getting paid anyway. Why? Because it's a "floating charge" (see above).

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Mikojan posted:

While this game is supposed to be fidelitious, I can't help but shake the idea that within the next 50 years computers and AI will outperform dogfighting humans. Let alone 1000 years into the future?

just some random worthless thought, carry on

The future is now

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

Xaerael posted:

Like I said, Interactions that will never happen.

It's hard to value CIG. The problem is what they're doing has no real future value, other than to keep milking idiots, because anyone likely to buy the game already has, so no future profits there. If that came crashing down, what are a bunch of overdesigned and useless art assets, hammy mocap data, and generic music worth? The music is probably the highest value, but it's not likely to be worth more than a few hundred thousand to a trailer music library. Beyond that, all that has value is tangible items like hardware and airplane wing desks.

Don't forget about crobbers beautifully written squadron 42 script

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

his nibs posted:

More like this please

I might have something brewing for you...citizencon is in germany this year, and Derek still owes us a visit to it...

complete thing coming in two weeks (I actually have to get finished as long as CIG still exists...)

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
The level of stupidity you must possess to believe that anyone anywhere in the world can give you a loan (in the millions!) for 0.25% IN TOTAL INTEREST A YEAR is unprecedented. I mean if you've ever had a single financial interaction in your life you would know that there's gotta be more to it.

CIG after all their walking back still hasn't disclosed the actual interest rate to the backers who OWN the company and finance it. And they're ok with that. If it's just a routine loan, no biggie, why not release the actual interest they're paying? Backers are retards for accepting no information from CIG as ok. It will be funny if it's like 30%.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

his nibs posted:

Meanwhile, in a space game that exists...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PP5M2mcoco

No mopping.
No cargo.
NO FIDELITY!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Has anyone said mocrap yet?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thoatse posted:

Has anyone said mocrap yet?

The loan was to buy more mocrap studios.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

For more examples of obsession (1, 2, 3, and 4).

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 27, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Rad Russian posted:

The level of stupidity you must possess to believe that anyone anywhere in the world can give you a loan (in the millions!) for 0.25% IN TOTAL INTEREST A YEAR is unprecedented. I mean if you've ever had a single financial interaction in your life you would know that there's gotta be more to it.

CIG after all their walking back still hasn't disclosed the actual interest rate to the backers who OWN the company and finance it. And they're ok with that. If it's just a routine loan, no biggie, why not release the actual interest they're paying? Backers are retards for accepting no information from CIG as ok. It will be funny if it's like 30%.

Backers don't own the company, that's the genius of crowdfunding. Idiots give you money with absolutely no strings attached and no recourse.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One of the better things about this stupid shitpile finally bursting into flames is a few thousand more people will stop expecting their perfect space dream fantasy and might actually go play Elite Dangerous instead of seeing it as THE ENEMY and violently hating it because it is the competition.

big nipples big life posted:

Backers don't own the company, that's the genius of crowdfunding. Idiots give you money with absolutely no strings attached and no recourse.

Well there was that heartfelt pledge at the start that CIG would tell backers where every single dollar went, because they valued their supporters, and the TOS stated if they were a year and a half late they will release a full financial accounting.

We don't talk about that though. LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
star citizen : Mo' money mo'cap

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord
Star Citizen: putting the mop in mocap

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Space Crabs posted:

Well there was that heartfelt pledge at the start that CIG would tell backers where every single dollar went, because they valued their supporters, and the TOS stated if they were a year and a half late they will release a full financial accounting.

:lol: good one CIG, tell us another.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Virtual Captain posted:

I hope the post-mortem documentary can track down a couple of LA producers or editors that can explain exactly how much effort when into the youtube videos. I dunno about 8-12 million, but I certainly get the impression a professional production studio is involved.

To my knowledge Chris said every dollar goes towards making Star Citizen the BDSSE, not towards development.

I mixed up value and cost a lot in my July blog.

The YouTube videos themselves are worth nothing, but I think it cost them 8-12 million to make. There's tons of them, tons of faked demos, just a lot of work went into faking game development.

It's funny but I think they spent more money making it look like they were making a video game than actually just making the game.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

star citizen : Mo' money mo'cap

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I mixed up value and cost a lot in my July blog.

The CIG liquidation will be amazing for how much things cost (backers) and how much they are valued (at auction, in bulk)

Chairs and couches with saggy cushions and bad springs, impractically unusable tables, and a filthy and tarnished espresso machine. I would probably pay you to keep this stuff away from me.

I will however be there to make insulting lowball bids on garbage like the Turings Stop sign in order to ensure its destruction beyond salvage :twisted:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

I might have something brewing for you...citizencon is in germany this year, and Derek still owes us a visit to it...

complete thing coming in two weeks (I actually have to get finished as long as CIG still exists...)

Yesss

:suspense:

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
According to Ortwin:

1. The more they spend, the bigger the tax credit is.
2. The loan is based on the size of the tax credit.
3. The bigger the tax credit, the bigger the loan, the more they can spend.
4. Goto step 1.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

cool new Polack jokes posted:

The CIG liquidation will be amazing for how much things cost (backers) and how much they are valued (at auction, in bulk)

Chairs and couches with saggy cushions and bad springs, impractically unusable tables, and a filthy and tarnished espresso machine. I would probably pay you to keep this stuff away from me.

I will however be there to make insulting lowball bids on garbage like the Turings Stop sign in order to ensure its destruction beyond salvage :twisted:

I got dibs on Toast's office chair.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Whether the loan is a minor one for low interest or not (it's impossible to know the size, interest, etc. - and it's silly to speculate really), Ortwin should know better than to state this: "Foundry 42 and its parent company Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. have elected to partner with Coutts".

Banks generally don't allow you to use the word "partner" about your business arrangement, and I'm pretty sure whatever contract(s) govern the loan explicitly forbid this. In practice, they probably won't care about this, but in principle making a public statement about partnership could be used as legal ammunition to void an agreement, demand compensation and/or public retraction of the statement. It's a standard clause in most business contracts, so I'm baffled that an experienced financial officer would use this phrasing.

As mentioned above, it's silly to speculate about this loan. Even very minor business arrangements with banks can have legal conditions that are basically "we own you and everything you produce until you pay us". But the partnership claim used in the rebuttal? No-go. He's basically claiming a much more intimate and interdependent business relationship than actually exists, and Coutts could (but almost certainly won't bother to) give him legal hell for it.

(I am a game developer working in a bank as an entry-level director, but not a lawyer though)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Are you trying to tell us that Ortwin might not be the worlds greatest counsel for the worlds greatest game?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

PederP posted:

Whether the loan is a minor one for low interest or not (it's impossible to know the size, interest, etc. - and it's silly to speculate really), Ortwin should know better than to state this: "Foundry 42 and its parent company Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. have elected to partner with Coutts".

Banks generally don't allow you to use the word "partner" about your business arrangement, and I'm pretty sure whatever contract(s) govern the loan explicitly forbid this. In practice, they probably won't care about this, but in principle making a public statement about partnership could be used as legal ammunition to void an agreement, demand compensation and/or public retraction of the statement. It's a standard clause in most business contracts, so I'm baffled that an experienced financial officer would use this phrasing.

As mentioned above, it's silly to speculate about this loan. Even very minor business arrangements with banks can have legal conditions that are basically "we own you and everything you produce until you pay us". But the partnership claim used in the rebuttal? No-go. He's basically claiming a much more intimate and interdependent business relationship than actually exists, and Coutts could (but almost certainly won't bother to) give him legal hell for it.

(I am a game developer working in a bank as an entry-level director, but not a lawyer though)

And he has to know that about 1000 people have his post bookmarked and thousands more have the screen cap so any changes to the phrasing of "partner" will be noticed, shared, and discussed at length.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

ManofManyAliases posted:

I got dibs on Toast's office chair.

:golfclap:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

hot balls man no homo posted:

And he has to know that about 1000 people have his post bookmarked and thousands more have the screen cap so any changes to the phrasing of "partner" will be noticed, shared, and discussed at length.

Maybe he just never bothered reading the loan contact & its terms. Just a thought.

DiscoLando: "Boss! I'm phoning on my other job, but those dastardly goons discovered the bailout loan you sorted when in Europe last month, and the poo poo's hit the fan!"
Crobbers: "How? Did the nosy fuckers dox us?"
DiscoLando: "They found it on the UK Government's website"
Crobbers: "The UK Gov't doxxed us? Bring me some coke so I can spend 8hr writing a letter to them blaming Derek Smart and that TheEscapist bitch"
DiscoLando: "The UK Gov't publishes it by law"
Crobbers: "Oh, it's a law thing? Get Ortwin on it. Sandi's visiting him for the weekend but I'm sure he's not busy"

Quavers fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 27, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Saw this on gamespot

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-dev-denies-that-its-facing-financial-/1100-6451194/

quote:

Anxiety grew among Star Citizen fans when it was noticed that developer Cloud Imperium Games appeared to have taken out a massive loan from Coutts, a UK banking institution, with the entire company given as collateral. This sparked fears that the studio was facing financial problems. Today, however, Cloud Imperium assuaged these concerns by stating that what appeared to be a loan was really an advance on a tax rebate.

hmmm lets check the comments

quote:

groowagon - 2 hours ago

It's amazing how many people failed to understand the article.

quote:

Tincup - 1 hour ago

SO many ignorant AF comments here who so blatantly have no freaking idea what they are spouting as well as OBVIOUSLY not even reading the article in full. Good Lord! if you only realised how stupid you sounded BEFORE you posted. LOL

quote:

sellingthings - 1 hour ago

@vackillers2017: no simpleton......they are getting around taxes in the UK by doing this.....can you read???
You don't understand tax rebate development

quote:

MaxZ26 - 2 hours ago

@dostunuz: Did you even read the article? CIG isn't in any financial trouble

quote:

ccgod - 5 hours ago

@skipper847: If it was really in trouble they'd be selling capital ships like crazy and they're not so they're fine.

quote:

MJ-X - 7 hours ago

Haters gona hate, the company is fine along with their project.

People need to stop trailing the ignorant bandwagon and start following development.

Gamespot articles are not pure journalism and mostly sensationalist with every attempt at click baits.
EVERYTHING IS FINE

quote:

ccgod - 5 hours ago

@livedreamplay: The reason it never got picked up by a publisher is because it was too ambitious and would take a long time to develop and they didn't want to shell out the money for it. They also didn't believe he could do what he said, and he's proving them all wrong so far. There's a lot of great content coming out soon with hopefully announcing when sq42 will be released.

Too ambitious for a normal publisher. Luckily Chris Roberts is proving everyone wrong by

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Krycek posted:

So you're saying they're in full on "gently caress-it" mode?

It's CIG we're talking about here. They are probably more in a full on "tickle it" mode

Edit: Tax evasion

Bofast fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 27, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Has SC done anything X Rebirth hasn't?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bankruptcy

Oh wait, that's still pending.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Goons should buy the door, donate it to a museum to place in some kind of Hall of Shame. Put up a large sign behind the door that says "Derek Smart was right" every time the door opens.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

grey soccer mom in a grey room :colbert:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

She doesn't even have a boob window

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Spatial posted:

Isn't this the dream of every commando, just in the wrong game? Finding alien artifacts, calling down buddies to check it out, getting into a smaller vehicle and exploring etc.
I'm afraid David Braben is an idiot who's never completed a project in his life. Seriously, the chances of that game being made are zero, it'll crash and burn before alpha.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Elite Dangerous (what a stupid name) turned out to be some kind of pay to win scam even if it did get finished.

No mate, much better off putting your money in Star Citizen. At least you can trust Chris Roberts to actually get poo poo done, unlike that fool Davshit Brabcrap.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

PederP posted:

It's a standard clause in most business contracts, so I'm baffled that an experienced financial officer would use this phrasing.

It's easy to wave off a blog. In fact, it might not even exist within a couple of weeks. It's more 'marketing speak' than 'passing off', and is still a bad move considering you have to have a minimum amount of cash for them to handle before they'll talk to you.

"Coutts services have been designed to meet the needs of high net worth individuals." is not a joke. They're the tippy tip of moving around cash for people who don't like to move their cash around under the scrutiny of the hoi-polloi.

quote:

It is not illegal to create or use offshore companies – and the Panama Papers show some banks were doing it on an industrial scale.

HSBC used Mossack Fonseca to create about 2,000 offshore companies. So did Coutts (500 companies) and Barclays (300). Many of these were created in 2005, when the EU savings directive came into force.

The directive was meant to prevent cross-border tax evasion. If you were a UK citizen who got interest from a Swiss bank account, the Swiss government automatically had to inform the UK tax office.

A good idea – except it could be easily dodged. How? By setting up an anonymous offshore company. And that’s exactly what some people did, funnelling even more money through structures set up and registered by firms such as Mossack Fonseca.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/08/mossack-fonseca-law-firm-hide-money-panama-papers

The simple meta of them picking Coutts over normal banking smacks entirely of Hollywood accounting and means that they have an interesting back channel to :airquote:funding sources:airquote:.

Not faced the harsh criticism of the gaming public on release and promised to not only to make good, but to listen to them on the direction forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Does not have boob window

butthurtspaceshipdweller.jpg

Would not bang