Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/879763701385048064

literal fake news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

No Butt Stuff posted:

Dem fundraising efforts are so bad.

First I have Jason Kander begging me for money for his let America vote poo poo every loving day.

Next I have generic democratic poo poo from the old OFA list. Just got an obviously scheduled email from Debra Messing about the Senate's bill that will be voted on this week. Guys, you don't have to have an email begging for money go out every 10 minutes.

I'm pretty sure the GOP does the same thing. Its probably more effective for them though, because old people use email and are more likely to be frightened into donating every time they get another scary email. The rest of us are like "come on, gently caress off its not even an election year. Maybe ask me next March".

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

evilweasel posted:

you're giving trump too much credit

what happened is that trump just agrees with people when they talk to him, it's a constant problem for the white house that he believes whoever talked to him last

Trump's brain: I want some people to praise me and my name in headlines. Signing health care does both of those. Get me health care bill to sign. Don't care what it is. It bad? Make it better then! Get me to bill to sign!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Gonna be an awkward meeting at 4PM at the White House.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Rigel posted:

I'm pretty sure the GOP does the same thing. Its probably more effective for them though, because old people use email and are more likely to be frightened into donating every time they get another scary email. The rest of us are like "come on, gently caress off its not even an election year. Maybe ask me next March".

"oh no we won't meet out opaque goal for funding before this fec deadline, the Republicans will be emboldened!"

gently caress off with that poo poo.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M02bAWDFkI

e: also shoutout to the great local Scottish colour in that piece

quote:

“But it was just a guess. I don’t actually have a Scooby,” the employee added, using an expression that means, “I don’t have a clue.”

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 27, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pander posted:

Trump's brain: I want some people to praise me and my name in headlines. Signing health care does both of those. Get me health care bill to sign. Don't care what it is. It bad? Make it better then! Get me to bill to sign!

In the back of his head during this stream of consciousness is an image of Obama openly weeping as he stares at the bill signing on his TV.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

yes, but with snail mail

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Demon Of The Fall posted:

drat they really screwed up this healthcare thing. What a shitshow.
The most inspiring part is that the Republicans have effectively all the power, nobody else's say really matters, and nobody can really stop them from doing what they want... Yet they still managed to turn this into a clusterfuck entirely on their own.

Given free reign, this was the best they could do.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rigel posted:

In the back of his head during this stream of consciousness is an image of Obama openly weeping as he stares at the bill signing on his TV.

He wants them Barack Tears real bad.

I wonder if the X-Presidents are gonna let him into their fun club when all this is over.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Robot Hobo posted:

The most inspiring part is that the Republicans have effectively all the power, nobody else's say really matters, and nobody can really stop them from doing what they want... Yet they still managed to turn this into a clusterfuck entirely on their own.

It's ironic that this forum focuses so much on the dysfunction of the Democratic Party when the GOP is so much worse.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

We still getting Spice Time today?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

We still getting Spice Time today?

They're pushing it back as long as possible to avoid having to answer any questions. Or alternatively the "troll" is that they just won't show up.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

He wants them Barack Tears real bad.

I wonder if the X-Presidents are gonna let him into their fun club when all this is over.

His lifestyle is so unhealthy that he could legitimately not make it through his term.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Almost 30 minutes late now. It's almost like they purposely start late to limit the number of questions asked!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

"Yes, but times has multiple versions covering various regions of the world, could this be one of them?"

Don't worry, person with oddly specific knowledge of Time magazine covers, it is not.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/pacific/0,9263,503090302,00.html

farraday fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 27, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

:wow:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What are the rules on snail mail donation request? Can I register a group and ask for donations and say it'll be used to spread the groups agenda? Which will remain vague and undefined in the letters but make it sound scary and pro-Trump. Then I can just shitpost on /r/td and say the money went to spreading my groups agenda.

Seems like a good way to dry up resources and make a neat profit.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
2 minute warning on Spicer

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

*borat voice* This man is blacknot

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

No Butt Stuff posted:

"oh no we won't meet out opaque goal for funding before this fec deadline, the Republicans will be emboldened!"

gently caress off with that poo poo.

I loving hate this battered wife syndrome poo poo the Democrats have going on right now. Like the GOP is a sleeping lion that we have to tiptoe around lest we anger the beast. I don't care if the GOP is "emboldened", I don't care about the GOP at all, they're not the ones trying to represent me...

That whole GA08 election from a few months ago where the democrats were like, "well we didn't want to put any money into the race because that might arouse the suspicion of the GOP" and I'm just 🤦‍♂️... Grow some loving balls.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Its behind a paywall, but the NY Times is reporting that McConnell and Pence have been working on the Senators for weeks without much success. Collins may be a bit firmer on the no side than we expected. Also, there are a lot more quiet no's that haven't spoken up in addition to the 5 we already knew about.

The White House also is conflicted on what to do if the health care bill dies. Trump wants to cut off subsidy payments to the federally-run exchanges under the idiotic theory that a collapse in those exchanges will force the Democrats to cave in and bargain with him. Others in the white house, probably recognizing that the Dems would just gleefully use this as a campaign issue, are trying to convince Trump to keep paying the subsidies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/...&smtyp=cur&_r=0

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

KickerOfMice posted:

I know I'm probably going to regret this, but 'floor making GBS threads'? I'm not sure I should google that.

Some young wonderboy regressive twitter warrior (that looks like a fat redhead neckbeard) was rumored to have shat on a floor during a college party for lulz, he then threaten to sue people but then dropped the suit due to discovery likely confirming that it happened.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rigel posted:

Its behind a paywall, but the NY Times is reporting that McConnell and Pence have been working on the Senators for weeks without much success. Collins may be a bit firmer on the no side than we expected. Also, there are a lot more quiet no's that haven't spoken up in addition to the 5 we already knew about.

The White House also is conflicted on what to do if the health care bill dies. Trump wants to cut off subsidy payments to the federally-run exchanges under the idiotic theory that a collapse in those exchanges will force the Democrats to cave in and bargain with him. Others in the white house, probably recognizing that the Dems would just gleefully use this as a campaign issue, are trying to convince Trump to keep paying the subsidies.

I honestly believe Trump would do that just out of spite

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

Some young wonderboy regressive twitter warrior (that looks like a fat redhead neckbeard) was rumored to have shat on a floor during a college party for lulz, he then threaten to sue people but then dropped the suit due to discovery likely confirming that it happened.

That would be Chuck Johnson, of right-wing gofundme WeSearchr fame.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Speaking first: The competent evil guy.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Boo just Huck time and Rick Perry in an ill-fitting jacket

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Lol where's Sean?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
If the ACA survives an entire Trump term in office, Obama will go down as one of the top 3 presidents in American history for passing legislation against huge opposition, and crafting it cleverly enough that repealing it became politically radioactive.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Save the world with the power of COAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Javes posted:

Lol where's Sean?

Off crying somewhere, as usual, I expect

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Theory posted:

First cops recognized him. Arriving cop didn't and just saw black man moving of his own free will. So his training took over and he fired as fast as possible.

Miracle the black officer isn't dead.

Can you just imagine the story they'd be spinning if he had been killed? "Off duty police officer attacks on duty police!!! Apparently 'Was no angel'"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rigel posted:

Another funny thing;

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/us/health-care-bill-trump-pence.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

quote:

WASHINGTON — President Trump personally lobbied House Republicans to pass health care legislation this year, but the Trump team’s heavy-handed tactics have been ineffective in the Senate, leaving Vice President Mike Pence to lead the effort to salvage the foundering bill.

After a “super PAC” aligned with Mr. Trump started an ad campaign against Senator Dean Heller of Nevada when he said he opposed the bill, Senator Mitch McConnell, the majority leader, called the White House chief of staff, Reince Priebus, to complain that the attacks were “beyond stupid,” according to two Republicans with knowledge of the tense exchange.

Mr. McConnell, who has been toiling for weeks, mostly in private, to put together a measure that would satisfy hard-liners and moderates, told Mr. Priebus in his call on Saturday that the assault by the group, America First, not only jeopardized the bill’s prospects but also imperiled Mr. Heller’s already difficult path to re-election.

America First was founded by a group of Mr. Trump’s loyalists — many of them with deep connections to Mr. Pence, including Nick Ayers, a Republican consultant who is regarded as the vice president’s top political adviser. The PAC compared Mr. Heller to Representative Nancy Pelosi, the House Democratic leader, and vowed a seven-figure advertising campaignagainst him.

Continue reading the main story
Josh Holmes, Mr. McConnell’s former chief of staff, said, “That the White House is asking people to take a tough vote and then running ads against members while we’re still in negotiations is so dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

Mr. Priebus did not respond to numerous messages seeking comment.

A broad range of Republican senators across the ideological spectrum have indicated their unease with the compromise health bill, which was largely drafted in secret over the last month. But Mr. Trump has few ties with the group, and several Republicans who remain on the fence have tangled with Mr. Trump, either during the presidential campaign or since. As a result, the Republican Senate leadership has made it known that they would much rather negotiate with Mr. Pence than the president himself, according to several White House and congressional officials.

Mr. Trump jumped in only when it became clear Republican leaders were postponing the vote until after the recess, announcing Tuesday afternoon that he was summoning all 52 Republican senators to the White House for some last-ditch diplomacy later in the day.

Top Trump lieutenants like Stephen K. Bannon, his chief strategist, who lobbied members on the House bill, have been all but sidelined. Mr. Priebus has also played a much diminished role.

While Mr. Trump has spoken with several members of the Senate, he has no plans to visit the Capitol, according to an administration official. He spoke with Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, his main rival for the 2016 nomination, over the weekend, as well as Senator Mike Lee of Utah and one or two others, but the pace was nothing like the dozens of calls he made to help pass the House’s health bill, aides said.

Mr. Pence was scheduled to attend the weekly lunch held by the Senate Republicans on Tuesday and planned to engage in conversations with undecided Republicans like Senator Rob Portman of Ohio. The vice president is likely to add other senators to his must-see list, and he plans to host a health-care-related dinner at his house Tuesday night, with Mr. Lee and Senators Tom Cotton of Arkansas, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and James Lankford of Oklahoma, according to a senior administration official. Mr. Sasse has been an understated but strong opponent of the bill as written.

Seema Verma, Mr. Pence’s former adviser in the Indiana statehouse and now a top administration health care official, has been trying to reassure senators that their states will have flexibility on Medicaid under the bill while Mr. Pence’s former chief of staff, Marc Short, now the White House legislative affairs director, has been quarterbacking the effort from his hideaway in the Capitol.

Mr. Heller, the only Senate Republican who will face voters next year in a state carried by Hillary Clinton in 2016, is the top target for Democrats facing a Senate map with few opportunities in 2018. And there were already seven groups — a mix of health care advocacy organizations and more partisan Democratic efforts — on the air in Nevada assailing the Republican health care overhaul, according to a Republican ad buyer tracking the ad traffic.

That an ostensibly pro-Republican group would respond to Mr. Heller’s criticism of the legislation — he flayed the proposal in harsh terms on Friday but did not rule out eventually backing it — by swiftly accusing him of siding “with Nancy Pelosi” was a shock to Mr. McConnell, who has made no secret of his impatience with Mr. Trump’s impulsive style.

It is also caught him off-guard. Neither Mr. McConnell’s office nor his top outside political advisers were warned about an impending attack on one of their most endangered incumbents. “They didn’t check in with anybody,” Mr. Holmes said. “There was no clearing of channels, no heads up, nothing.”

The anti-Heller assault began with a digital buy over the weekend, but it was unclear whether the pro-Trump group would follow through with its threat to spend over $1 million attacking the senator. As of Tuesday, the group had reserved just over $250,000 for ads in Las Vegas and Reno, the two largest media markets in the state, according to the ad buyer.

The move against Mr. Heller had the blessing of the White House, according to an official with America First. Mr. Trump’s allies were furious that the senator would join Gov. Brian Sandoval, who accepted the Medicaid expansion under the health law and opposes the Republican overhaul, to blast the bill.

But the frustration on Capitol Hill with Mr. Trump and his allies runs far deeper than the ads aimed at the Nevada senator.

While Mr. Trump has taken to Twitter and made phone calls in an effort to lobby his party to pass the health overhaul, he has also provided Democrats with potential weapons, namely his description of the House bill he worked to pass as “mean.”

that's right fuckers eat yourselves

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

If the ACA survives an entire Trump term in office, Obama will go down as one of the top 3 presidents in American history for passing legislation against huge opposition, and crafting it cleverly enough that repealing it became politically radioactive.

Forcing the Republicans to go insane by passing a Republican healthcare plan was definitely something.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Rigel posted:

The good ol "shoot the hostage" tactic. It worked in Speed.

There's no way to bargain with the Democrats unless you pick up the moderate Republicans thereby negating the need for the Democrats in the first place.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Rick Perry, a wise man "America leads the worlds in emissions standards"

:lol:

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Lote posted:

Gonna be an awkward meeting at 4PM at the White House.

I wonder if Trump is going to install a desk that he can actually flip.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Is Perry back on the painkillers? He sounds ... mellow

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Rigel posted:

I can totally understand senators like Cassidy hedging, calling the bill out while not exactly clarifying how he'll vote. Politically it makes sense, craven though it is.

What I don't understand is McCain's position. "This bill sucks but gently caress yeah I'm voting for it."

It's like the worst possible stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So great to see Trump doing what he wants which is probably killing the bill

• Locked thread