Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Now, go thou forth and clean that Part :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Since this has become the de facto Polygon Videos Thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqX1wxaB7I4

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The Moneyzone is some choice stuff this week

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Waffleman_ posted:

Since this has become the de facto Polygon Videos Thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqX1wxaB7I4

This made me hate Russ a little less.

Also I love how many demons have been summoned in recent Polygon videos, someone must have found an ancient tome of forgotten magicks at E3 this year

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Whats the chance people would care about a general Polygon thread? Maybe once The Polygon Show has more than 2 eps

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Is there really too much overlap in this thread? I don't think we're stepping over eachother to post the once-a-day uploads between the McElroy's and polygon.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Nick's stream right now... is something https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o0prnTy1RU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Whats the chance people would care about a general Polygon thread? Maybe once The Polygon Show has more than 2 eps

We may as well just roll it in to this thread, McElroys are indivisible from Polygon right now. I personally love what they're doing over on Polygon. It's neat there's a gaming news site that's actually funny and kinda hip. There's a lot of good comedic taste on their crew - no 'random' humour, meanness or edginess, just generally good fun.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CainsDescendant posted:

This made me hate Russ a little less.

Also I love how many demons have been summoned in recent Polygon videos, someone must have found an ancient tome of forgotten magicks at E3 this year

Simone disappeared into a hell dimension in her E3 SEO Play video, so it's probably her fault.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Moatman posted:

Nick's stream right now... is something https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o0prnTy1RU

It's gone now, what was it?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

well why not posted:

We may as well just roll it in to this thread, McElroys are indivisible from Polygon right now. I personally love what they're doing over on Polygon. It's neat there's a gaming news site that's actually funny and kinda hip. There's a lot of good comedic taste on their crew - no 'random' humour, meanness or edginess, just generally good fun.

And Russ!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ALFbrot posted:

And Russ!

And then there's Russ...Russ is trying his best...

(I like Russ)

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Watching Fold Yeller warmed me up to Russ a lot, but he's still frustrating because he waits until Simone is knee-deep in lava before slowly telling her "you're gonna want to go... to the... left"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I've been trying to get back into Sawbones, and I guess I stopped listening to it before TAZ started because I never made the connection that Clint was the disclaimer.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Waffleman_ posted:

So I've been trying to get back into Sawbones, and I guess I stopped listening to it before TAZ started because I never made the connection that Clint was the disclaimer.

Uh... he's not. It's the same voice actor that does the MBMBaM intro. But Sawbones is still good and you should listen to it!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Uh... he's not. It's the same voice actor that does the MBMBaM intro. But Sawbones is still good and you should listen to it!

i'm like 1000% sure that clint mcelroy's radio voice is the intro/disclaimer to sawbones

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Prof. Spaceman posted:

I've been considering grabbing another McElroy joint and Sawbones seems like the best choice, got a good ep recommendation to start?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Poque posted:

I've been considering grabbing another McElroy joint and Sawbones seems like the best choice, got a good ep recommendation to start?

I've been listening through it from the beginning and that's been good for me. First episode is on trepanation which is probably the king of "wtf were they thinking" medical procedures. Alternately, just pick an episode about something you're interested in and go from there

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Prof. Spaceman posted:

It's Clint, ya dingus.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Prof. Spaceman posted:

They sound nothing alike.

Unless you meant the into to the MBMBaM TV show.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Have you ever read any of the giant bomb thread? It'd be like that but worse because a good quarter or more of nerds irrationally hate polygon

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Poque posted:

Honestly they're all pretty good. I agree with CainsDescendant, start from the beginning or just scroll through the archives and pick up a subject that interests you. They've done episodes on patent medicine, radiation, all kinds of illnesses, weird sex stuff, self surgery, etc.

It's pretty different compared to the other eps, but if you're invested in the McElroys themselves, they did a special episode on the birth of their daughter.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sankis posted:

Have you ever read any of the giant bomb thread? It'd be like that but worse because a good quarter or more of nerds irrationally hate polygon

Why do people hate Polygon, anyway?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Who What Now posted:

There are women on the staff, and they sometimes don't like when games are demeaning to women and say so.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also they didn't have optimal gameplay on a Doom preview video or something.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
gies, kuchera, who are thankfully absent from most of their video content

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

A while back there was someone there who did a glowing review of the latest SimCity game, in contrast to public opinion which was quite harsh due to the game requiring an internet connection as a form of DRM. The person who did the review (I don't remember who it was) defended this practice by repeating the developer's claim that the always online thing is integral to the game's infrastructure and cannot be removed. This was almost immediately (I think within the next couple of days) proven wrong when someone hacked the game to not be online and it worked perfectly fine.

That was pretty bad, and it soured a lot of people on Polygon, including myself. I'm back on the train now though.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

They had a fairly embarrassing Doom preview around the same time as a really quite embarrassing VR gun range review, and have had a few pretty bad clickbait videos. They've been getting a lot better, though, especially since they've leaned their shoulder into being the Weird Twitter of videogame sites.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Ben Kuchera also wrote a prediction article about Mario Kart 8 sales that was impressively terrible.
I think people hated Justin at one point too because he played Nier wrong

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

on the more lovely side: they're filthy SJWs who while saying a game like Witcher is objectively a great game they also say 'but it'd be nice if everyone I met wasn't the same generic white european type like every other fantasy game'.

On the still really petty but at least more based in games journalism side: they sometimes have dumb moments like doing a Doom gameplay where they suck poo poo for the entire runtime and go 'haha well Doom is complicated huh' or that time they spent a review talking about how impossible some Souls clone was when they refused to lower difficulty because it felt 'insulting' or something like that. Those are kinda valid dings but also really dumb to cling to past a quick joke.

Also there was the Microsoft money drama at the very start of them when because they didn't stomp an Xbone on camera while shouting "gently caress THIS poo poo, gently caress THIS poo poo, gently caress THIS poo poo" that clearly meant they were in Big Microsoft's pocket despite constantly having similar reviews as everyone else did.

Oh and there was some weirdness when they were just starting where Arthur was kinda a wad and did stuff like change the Sim City score to represent a more 'fluid situation' and talked a bunch of poo poo about how everyone was just making up the online only concerns right before the game launched and all those concerns were validated.

Basically like everyone they've done some dumb stuff and nerds have clung to those examples as proof that they're all terrible forever while being much more charitable to other outlets which totally isn't because of the whole 'ug more like poly-SJWs am I right guys' thing

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Things I remember people think were bad about polygon:

When they started up they were given like a ton of money (it was like a half million or something) by Microsoft to make a documentary about how independent and revolutionary they were. So people thought they were pompous dicks

They were at the heart of the most recent SimCity review debacle

Arthur Gies in general

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 27, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Polygon's adapted nicely to letting weird video game dorks be weird on the internet.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The SimCity review was a shitshow, and the score went 9.5 -> 8.0 -> 4.0 -> finally 6.5, which is probably a good score for the game. But "a while back" in this case is over four years ago, which would be a very long time to hold a grudge for a website, and also the guy who wrote said review left the site in 2014.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ImPureAwesome posted:

Things I remember bad about polygon:
When they started up they were given like a ton of money by Microsoft to make a documentary about how independent and revolutionary they were. So people thought they were pompous dicks

Related: their extensive XBox One launch day livestream where they did not acknowledge the myriad of issues they were obviously running into with buggy software, unresponsive Kinect commands, having to play LocoCycle, etc.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zeeman posted:

Ben Kuchera also wrote a prediction article about Mario Kart 8 sales that was impressively terrible.

That Nier review was hilarious and convinced me to buy the game. It wasn't until many episodes into MBMBAM that I realized Justin was that guy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kidcoelacanth posted:

Polygon's adapted nicely to letting weird video game dorks be weird on the internet.

yea note all the issues aside from I think the Souls-clone thing were from early days. Now they've clearly found their groove in 'ok maybe we let Gamespot and poo poo do Serious Game Journalism, let's send some funny people to E3 to do some day end review videos and also talk about Game Milk'

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Considering how tight lipped games companies are with information taking the piss out of the whole thing is easily as instructive as taking it seriously and a lot more watchable.

The boys got me back into even caring about games news rather than picking them up only at the prompting of friends.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They did some kinda dumb stuff at the start, but honestly nothing too terrible. Doom video was some bad gameplay, but it's probably how I'd look playing with a non-familiar controller at an event. Sim City having it's score lowered over time seems pretty reasonable. They're at least fairly upfront about how they run the company (publish ethics standards, have a rubric for scores etc).

The internet backlash was a hundred times greater than what was reasonable. I'm pretty sure there's a site out there with each staffer listed with potential "ethics violations" listed against them.

It's creepy as poo poo.

well why not fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 27, 2017

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Neir is a bad game though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zeeman posted:

Wait, is he the one that couldn't do the fishing side quest?