Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I would have loved to known what the Showtime president was thinking when he got to this episode.

Apparently it isn't doing too great in the ratings so i can't imagine they are overjoyed but they'll finish showing it because they already threw a bunch of money at it.

It's for Lynch purists anyway and they are so broke-brained about him that they would watch and enjoy 18 hours of footage of an obese 64 year old taking a poo poo in real time if David Lynch said he directed it. They'd even come up with convoluted theories about how it all related to the wider Lynch-o-verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

Apparently it isn't doing too great in the ratings so i can't imagine they are overjoyed but they'll finish showing it because they already threw a bunch of money at it.
the rating system only accounts for premiere nights, and if I remember correctly, the numbers show twin peaks is doing quite well between streaming and people catching up on the show during the weekday. showtime is getting record breaking numbers for streaming subs thanks to twin peaks. so for now, twin peaks s3 is a success, especially for a 25 year gap in seasons, and letting david lynch having total creative control. it's pretty bold and impressive.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If people didn't tune into this episode, that probably speaks more to the quality of the last couple eps. It's not like everyone knew this one would be weird going in.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Showtime should be getting their money's worth just from the buzz generated alone. What's the last time anyone gave a poo poo either way about any of their shows, maybe the first season of Homeland?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

The Dennis System posted:

For the first 20 minutes or half hour of the episode, when lynch was showing us the nuke explosion from the outside and then showing us all kinds of crazy stuff happening inside of it on a tiny or even microscopic scale, and then showing stuff happening somewhere else in the universe on a very macroscopic scale, you got the idea of an interconnectedness of everything in the universe from the smallest scale to the largest and also to some sort of metaphysical or supernatural plane where something unimaginably complicated is triggered that will affect all of reality. It was pretty cool. But this supernatural plane of existence should be something we can't even begin to imagine because it's so far beyond us. But then lynch shows you this supernatural plane...and it's a woman and man, wearing a dress and a suit sitting on couches and listening to records, in a room with some comically big alarm thing and a big TV. These are the people and this is the supernatural place where all of reality comes together and events on Earth are being directed? What? The first half hour really triggered the imagination. But then the second half hour completely ruined everything. Although I guess lynch showed us this metaphysical plane before, in the episode with the blind woman and Cooper in space. What a terrible supernatural higher reality.

It's a running thing in Lynch's work that the most incomprehensible supernatural or surreal elements are always tied to the most mundane ones.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i remember orb lookin like a goatse at one point, gotta screen cap it when i get a chance

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
didn't the pilot of this dumb show back in 1990 have like 20 minutes in a room made of curtains where a random strobe light went off and people talked backwards about birds and their cousins, and a dwarf named "The Arm" randomly danced to jazz?

I wish this show could get back to that, the exciting memorable stuff that made sense.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
If lynch really wants to be a bad rear end and confound viewer expectations, then he shouldn't bring back normal Cooper. Not for a second.

Lord Krangdar posted:

It's a running thing in Lynch's work that the most incomprehensible supernatural or surreal elements are always tied to the most mundane ones.

Maybe you're right.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

He's got to go to a diner and utter his famous catchphrase "yeah, Pepsi is fine"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Pretty cool that Lynch fit his sequel to Eraserhead inside a single episode of Twin Peaks, imo.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Holy skull-crushing hobo-demons, that was awesome!

This was also the first piece of media in a very long time that gave me nightmares, haha!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

The Dennis System posted:

If lynch really wants to be a bad rear end and confound viewer expectations, then he shouldn't bring back normal Cooper. Not for a second.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this is the only way. You either don't bring back Cooper, or you bring him back and then you kind of have to deal with the emotional fallout of the fact that he's lost 25 years of his life. And he's still in love with Annie. Nah, just keep him Dougiefied, gently caress the casuals that just showed up for coffee and pie catchphrases (as always).

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol, an un-ironic use of the word "casuals"

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

lol, an un-ironic use of the word "casuals"

What would you call them? "Oh what's all this interesting stuff, I just like to ship Audrey and Cooper hurrrrr"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

You sound like a loser

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

The theoretical Twin Peaks fan who loves the original show but is just in it for coffee and pie memes and is totally alienated by the Showtime show doesn't exist, it's just another creation by goons who love the idea of someone being offended by the things they enjoy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

What would you call them? "Oh what's all this interesting stuff, I just like to ship Audrey and Cooper hurrrrr"

I call them my friends that loved the original series, but gave up on this show so now I'm the only one watching it week to week. I wouldn't say it was a bait and switch, but I can understand getting turned off the new show if you're not interested in whats going on, or if you're interested in a plot that was introduced in the first two episodes, but hasn't been touched since.

Veshpo posted:

The theoretical Twin Peaks fan who loves the original show but is just in it for coffee and pie memes and is totally alienated by the Showtime show doesn't exist, it's just another creation by goons who love the idea of someone being offended by the things they enjoy.

Actually, they're my friends. We even had a big viewing parties and everything for the first 6 episodes. They're all just waiting to binge it now.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Veshpo posted:

Nah. Pretty much every boomer I know is way disappointed that the new show isn't "fun" like the old show.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Veshpo posted:

this is like all of my friends lol

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You guys really need better friends.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

yeah the idea of someone liking watered down network tv lynch but being put off by eraserhead lynch is just lol and def doesn't describe the majority of ppl who were fans of the original show

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Gotta light?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gatekeeper posted:

yeah the idea of someone liking watered down network tv lynch but being put off by eraserhead lynch is just lol and def doesn't describe the majority of ppl who were fans of the original show

That's what I'm saying, they weren't fans of the original show. They caught most of season one, have some fond half-memories, thought some of the cast was hot, but they weren't actually fan.

They were more "casual" viewers, if you will.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

I have a hard time believing someone who was just lukewarm on the original show would go to the trouble of seeking it out on Showtime, a network no one has watched since like 2010.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man, this started off strong. The first two episodes were good poo poo.

But six episodes of Cooper repeating lines and stumbling around is tiring. When something finally happens, we'll be able to skip all these middle episodes.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

The new twin peaks is funny, cool and badass.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

That's what I'm saying, they weren't fans of the original show. They caught most of season one, have some fond half-memories, thought some of the cast was hot, but they weren't actually fan.

They were more "casual" viewers, if you will.

:smug: "People who enjoyed the first two seasons didn't actually really enjoy them even though they thought they did."

Old TP was good and watchable, new TP is utter bollocks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Maya Fey posted:

:agreed:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

spudsbuckley posted:

:smug: "People who enjoyed the first two seasons didn't actually really enjoy them even though they thought they did."

Old TP was good and watchable, new TP is utter bollocks.

Then why are you in the Twin Peaks Season 3 thread?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's the GBS Twin Peaks thread. If you want people discussing the deeper meanings of a Nine Inch Nail video being put in an episode there is the TVIV thread. GBS hasn't liked anything new since 2002.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Maya Fey posted:

It's

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The autistic worship-thread is in TVIV.

This is the thread where people give actual opinions on the show without Lynch superfans trying to justify why the show is deliberately awful.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

spudsbuckley posted:

The autistic worship-thread is in TVIV.

This is the thread where people give actual opinions on the show without Lynch superfans trying to justify why the show is deliberately awful.

Why do you care if people are enjoying a show you don't? Why don't you want to explain why you don't like it? Why are you still watching a show you don't like?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Why do you care if people are enjoying a show you don't? Why don't you want to explain why you don't like it? Why are you still watching a show you don't like?

"Why are you forming and sharing opinions about something you had an interest in in the past by experiencing the newest released material based on it?"

Every discussion about a particular piece of media doesn't have to turn into a circle jerk of competing fanfics just because the fandom wants to shout everyone else down.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

No one has explained what they are dissatisfied with beyond "boring." Seems weird.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

spudsbuckley posted:

"Why are you forming and sharing opinions about something you had an interest in in the past by experiencing the newest released material based on it?"

Every discussion about a particular piece of media doesn't have to turn into a circle jerk of competing fanfics just because the fandom wants to shout everyone else down.

You've wasted almost eight hours of your life on a show you hated since minute one.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mordja posted:

You've wasted almost eight hours of your life on a show you hated since minute one.

More like 3 and a bit.

I sat through the initial 3 episodes that got released and i've just been skim watching the rest by skipping through them.

Nothing really happens in the show so it's very do-able.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No one has explained what they are dissatisfied with beyond "boring." Seems weird.

There's too many plates spinning and he's wasting too much time on introducing hundreds of new characters all of which have done next to nothing. There's a murder mystery in South Dakota that has moved exactly one scene in 6 hours. There's a young girl and her drug addled boyfriend that have been seen for exactly one shot in 8 hours. A child was hit by a car and killed and that has had three scenes dedicated to it total.

None of the original characters from the first series have done anything of note, nothing of import has happened in the overall narrative, and none of the new characters are engaging or entertaining in any way. Besides Lynch himself, none of the cast has had the strength of writing or screen time to grow their characters. Compare these 8 episodes to the first season of Twin Peaks.

That's just some of the problems I have with it, and I actually enjoy the new show.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Now that's some interesting and valid feedback! Do you think you'll still feel the same way if all those stories progress to some kind of conclusion (given, yknow, lynch) by the end?

One of the things I really liked about the original two seasons was that it left us with a lot to chew over and piece together. It took the rise of the internet and a couple decades to figure out some of the weirder connections. If all season 3 does is give us another 25 years of material to figure out I'll be happy as a pig in poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh I'm sure the last two episodes are going to be amazing, but this season may be another season 2 kind of situation where I can watch the first 4 episodes, skip a big chunk, and then watch the last 4 episodes. We'll see where he goes with it, I have faith in Lynch to make me feel uncomfortable watching a TV show if nothing else. And that's worth tuning into each week.

• Locked thread