Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
smdh that there are people out there who have not played doom, wolfenstein, batman, dead spaces, metal gear:r, sleeping dogs, and witcher 3, and whom would need the recommendation to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have company coming over on Friday. Which is the best Jackbox?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Xaris posted:

smdh that there are people out there who have not played doom, wolfenstein, batman, dead spaces, metal gear:r, sleeping dogs, and witcher 3, and whom would need the recommendation to do so

It's a big world we live in and let's not forget new people are born into it every day. Let's not shame the newcomers for not being on the bandwagon when we were. We should welcome our new brothers and sisters.

Shard fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 27, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Standalone Drawful 2

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
Looking for suggestions on a single player base building, crafting, whatever it's call now game released in the last couple of years that I can sink some time into. Have my eye on Northgard and 7 Days to Die. For reference I really liked the original Dawn of War and enjoyed farming mats and crafting in WoW.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

mdh1975 posted:

Looking for suggestions on a single player base building, crafting, whatever it's call now game released in the last couple of years that I can sink some time into. Have my eye on Northgard and 7 Days to Die. For reference I really liked the original Dawn of War and enjoyed farming mats and crafting in WoW.

The games you mentioned are more survival oriented but based on the ones you liked I'd suggest the Anno series.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Xaris posted:

I played and loved all of those but not wolfenstein! Sometimes there are lots of games coming out!

Also it's not on sale but Vanquish on PC made me love Vanquish again

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I would argue the first. It has Fibbage, Drawful, Quiplash, and YDKJ. The first two are the only games people really care about, and most every other game people like are derivatives of those two. There are solid games in the other packs, but Drawful 2 became its own thing, so you would want to pick that up in addition to 2 or 3 if you go that route.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Spikeguy posted:

It's a big world we live in and let's not forget new people are born into it every day. Let's now shame the newcomers for not being on the bandwagon when we were. We should welcome our new brothers and sisters.

If anything the people who haven't played those yet are the truly blessed, for all that is still ahead of them. The rest of us meanwhile have to contend with scraps and the hope that Cyberpunk 2077 will be awesome.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Any good roguelikes with controller support? Rogue Legacy was great for mindless runs while watching Netflix, and I'd like something similar. Thanks!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, recent reviews on the Pillars of Eternity page are raging about a price hike prior to the sale. Isthereanydeal.com showed the standard $45 price for months (sans a random sale here and there) for months leading up to the Steam summer sale. Was it raised in other countries and not the US?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ragequit posted:

Wow, recent reviews on the Pillars of Eternity page are raging about a price hike prior to the sale. Isthereanydeal.com showed the standard $45 price for months (sans a random sale here and there) for months leading up to the Steam summer sale. Was it raised in other countries and not the US?

Paradox raised DLC prices in a lot of countries besides the US a month or so before the sale. They walked it back but aren't reducing the prices until after the sale is over.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

loopsheloop posted:

Any good roguelikes with controller support? Rogue Legacy was great for mindless runs while watching Netflix, and I'd like something similar. Thanks!

Dead Cells, Binding of Isaac, Flint Hook

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Now that I've had the chance to play Immortal Redneck a little, it feels as if Ziggurat, Doom and Rouge Legacy had a baby without any of the warts. I'll have to play more to get a more solid opinion, but first impressions are positive - the game has charm and the mechanics to go along with it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ragequit posted:

correct, there was no price change in the us. it was in garbage money territories and then everyone (understandably) got really mad they cant buy the games for the equivalent of $2 anymore

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

correct, there was no price change in the us. it was in garbage money territories and then everyone (understandably) got really mad they cant buy the games for the equivalent of $2 anymore

Makes sense - I know some countries had insanely low base prices. Appreciate the info.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I was going to make a small effort post on one of my favorite games, Gunpoint, but I'm too sick.

Instead, I'm just going to tell you to buy Gunpoint. It's a great, charming 2D stealth game with a fantastic jazzy noir soundtrack. You can afford 2.49.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Anyone have an opinion on way or the other on Ultimate General: Civil War and/or Ultimate General: Gettysburg? I'm a civil war nerd and like single player tactical and RTS games, but as always am wary of anything early access. How's the single player, or coop? Do I get to pillage the yanks as Stonewall Jackson or blow up some secessionists as Joshua Chamberlain?

BigHead fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 27, 2017

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 2, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

go write a review about it

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've finally played and completed Portal 2 (I know I know) and now I'm sad that Valve don't actually make games anymore.

Also Poly Bridge is great fun and not easy at all, it's a fun physics puzzler that gets pretty frustrating.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

I was going to make a small effort post on one of my favorite games, Gunpoint, but I'm too sick.

Instead, I'm just going to tell you to buy Gunpoint. It's a great, charming 2D stealth game with a fantastic jazzy noir soundtrack. You can afford 2.49.

It is seriously great. You should all buy gunpoint.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Props to Hopper and X_ThePerfect for giving me Steam keys for a couple of my wishlisted games!

I'm about to pull the trigger on Dishonored, is any of the DLC worth it and is any of it the kind of DLC where I would benefit from starting a new game with it already installed?

Shadow225 posted:

Gunpoint is extremely good but also real drat short. That said, $2.50 for a few hours of entertainment is pretty great especially with the quality of entertainment you'd be getting.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Can I get an a opinion on Earthlock: festival of magic? Its been out for like a year and I've been curious.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Holy moly, I just finished episode 3 of Life is Strange and feel like a major idiot for one of my choices ... that game is seriously emotional storytelling, I don't think I have ever played a game with such consequences to choices.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BigHead posted:

Anyone have an opinion on way or the other on Ultimate General: Civil War and/or Ultimate General: Gettysburg? I'm a civil war nerd and like single player tactical and RTS games, but as always am wary of anything early access. How's the single player, or coop? Do I get to pillage the yanks as Stonewall Jackson or blow up some secessionists as Joshua Chamberlain?

Gettysburg is great. I've always had some issue with the mechanics, but it's fun. The campaign (using the military/historical term here) is told well and is broken up into about 5 separate battles. That said, each battle (save for the opening one) has a number of scenarios based on how you preformed in the previous ones. Successfully take Cemetery Ridge on Day 1? Congratulations! The Confederacy's plans have shifted, and you're next scenario won't be the historical one.

I have Civil War on my list to keep up to date on it, because, even though I'm sure I'd like it, I'm not much for EA games. From the sounds of it, there's a lot of quality of life improvements plus a full strategy layer on top.

I'd suggest trying out Gettyburg. It's a really interesting take on RTS's and is a very fresh setting. Plus, I just love the game's whole ascetic.

On a similar note, anyone have any opinions about HexWar Games? I'm mainly eyeing one of their Civil War games, because the Tank Battle ones don't look as good.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So what exactly is Samurai Warriors 4-II ? Is it like some kind of weird half-sequel game, or is it a full-on warriors game just with a weird title?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

C-Euro posted:

Props to Hopper and X_ThePerfect for giving me Steam keys for a couple of my wishlisted games!

I'm about to pull the trigger on Dishonored, is any of the DLC worth it and is any of it the kind of DLC where I would benefit from starting a new game with it already installed?

Gunpoint is extremely good but also real drat short. That said, $2.50 for a few hours of entertainment is pretty great especially with the quality of entertainment you'd be getting.

Dishonored dlc is just as good if not somehwat better than the original story. But no, it's their own separate mini campaigns so no benefit. (Don't get the trials of Dunwall dlc tho unless you want timed challenge stuff)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Too Shy Guy posted:

It's not strictly Cthulhu but for my money The Last Door really gets the whole cosmic horror vibe way better than any other game. For something more actiony, I also enjoy Eldritch a whole lot.

I think you would really like The Room and its sequel if you haven't experienced them yet. For hidden object games, you want anything made by Artifex Mundi. I can personally vouch for Grim Legends, Nightmares from the Deep, 9 Clues, and Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden.

Xander77 posted:

I've reviewed a bunch earlier. HOG stories are... not necessarily their best feature, but Engimatis 2-3 is pretty good.

Yeah, I'm really interested in Lovecraftian/Psychological horror games, especially First-person ones.

Thanks for these recommendations. I added Adam Wolfe, The Last Door, is this bundle with The Room a good choice? I'm gonna see if I can find some HOG bundles for the others.

Speaking of which what are the good bundles going on right now? I haven't checked Indie Gala, Humble Store yet.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks to everyone for the posts about Sherlock Holmes. Guess I'll buy it and give it a try as someone suggested and just refund if I hate it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, I'm really interested in Lovecraftian/Psychological horror games, especially First-person ones.

Thanks for these recommendations. I added Adam Wolfe, The Last Door, is this bundle with The Room a good choice? I'm gonna see if I can find some HOG bundles for the others.

Speaking of which what are the good bundles going on right now? I haven't checked Indie Gala, Humble Store yet.

Bundles are listed here at IsThereAnyDeal along with all sales and discounts anywhere.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

/\/\/\ poo poo Lovecraftian stuff! Hell yeah I love this genre too and sometimes combined with point and click. I'm looking at what you guys recommended to this other dude!

Thanks to this thread and a goon video talking about gold nuggets you can easily miss during big sales, I purchased Gray Matter (point and click adventure) and I like it after just finishing Chapter 1. I have a bunch of point and click adventure games already but I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend decently discounted games during this sale? I grew up with those games so I usually know most classics but I never had friends into them so it's a genre that I can easily have missed gems.

I usually don't like the hard as balls puzzles like the games of old that didn't even make sense (I'm looking at you Gabriel's Knight 3 and the loving cat mustache or early King Quests games!) but feel free to recommend anything you guys like and maybe add a little warning for bad cases of that.

The better the story, the more I want to hear about them.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 28, 2017

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

company coming over on Friday

Never heard of this - is it on sale?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Hemish posted:

/\/\/\ poo poo Lovecraftian stuff! Hell yeah I love this genre too and sometimes combined with point and click. I'm looking at what you guys recommended to this other dude!

Thanks to this thread and a goon video talking about gold nuggets you can easily miss during big sales, I purchased Gray Matter (point and click adventure) and I like it after just finishing Chapter 1. I have a bunch of point and click adventure games already but I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend decently discounted games during this sale? I grew up with those games so I usually know most classics but I never had friends into them so it's a genre that I can easily have missed gems.

I usually don't like the hard as balls puzzles like the games of old that didn't even make sense (I'm looking at you Gabriel's Knight 3 and the loving cat mustache or early King Quests games!) but feel free to recommend anything you guys like and maybe add a little warning for bad cases of that.

The better the story, the more I want to hear about them.

Good poster Too Shy Guy got you covered

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Good poster Too Shy Guy got you covered

Good start! Thanks to bring this to my attention and Too Shy Guy for taking the time of doing that. Added a few to my wishlist and will pull the trigger later on what looks the most promising to me!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

Never heard of this - is it on sale?

I wish. poo poo's gonna cost me money.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

-Blackadder- posted:

That's a real good bundle! I don't know Tiny Bang, Tetrobot, or Sokobond but the rest range from good to excellent. Machinarium is one of my favorite point-and-clicks, and both Spacechem and Gateways will tax the hell out of your brain in very different ways.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Lakbay posted:

How's Bastard Bonds? The only thing I know about it is "strategy RPG with sexy dudes"

The fights are fast but shallow; you generally won't need much actual strategy. You get four characters to work with, and a pretty limited set of actions they can take, so your tactics are basically decided by their stat builds and what they've got equipped. I think it feels pretty good to actually play, and had fun with it.

There are tons of characters to recruit, so if you're looking for a kind of Suikoden-but-with-Bara-orcs, and don't need a castle, Bastard Bonds might scratch that itch a little. There's a bit of a base building aspect, where you level up character's stats in certain ways to build Manpower for your whole crew, which lets you set up camp in bigger areas, which lets you recruit more people.
Also, you can recruit almost literally every enemy in the game, excepting bosses and such, provided a character can talk to it. You could ditch every named character for conscripted boner demons if you wanted.

Also there's a demo, so you can just try it out for a bit.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Roshambo posted:

Is there a way to filter the steam store so I don't keep seeing games I already own?

Also, Hollow Knight, Death Road to Canada, or Darkest Dungeon?

Steam Edit Your Preferences posted:

EXCLUDED PRODUCTS
You can exclude specific products from most views of your Steam store by selecting 'not interested' on that product's store page or from the corner of the product's artwork in lists.

If it's a non-steam game you own, this'll do. If you're seeing stuff you already own on steam, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I wish. poo poo's gonna cost me money.

Best to wait for the Holiday sale, then. I'm sure this "company" will still be available. Or wait for a bundle.

• Locked thread