Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BarbarianElephant posted:

No they didn't. They lived to about 60. We live until our 80s or 90s.

No "we" don't, because "we" are not all wealthy white people. You're also going to need to define who "they" is because that 60 is pulled out of your rear end.

ranbo das posted:

Isn't that a fake fact as well? Even if you reached your teens, most people in pre-modern societies only had a life expectancy of 50ish years.

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/NOTES/as120/images/LD_fig3b.html

These data show that life expectancy at age 65 has increased 5 years for women and 7 years for men just in this last century.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/NOTES/as120/images/LD_fig3b.html

These data show that life expectancy at age 65 has increased 5 years for women and 7 years for men just in this last century.

And? I guess you think I'm arguing life expectancy has never increased? No. I'm just trying to dispense the bullshit myth that cavemen or whoever all died in middle age. Also be very careful with generalized statistics like that because there are still massive differences for race and income. Sick of hearing white people wax rhapsodic about our inevitable deathless future when my people are lucky to make it to 70.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

And? I guess you think I'm arguing life expectancy has never increased? No. I'm just trying to dispense the bullshit myth that cavemen or whoever all died in middle age. Also be very careful with generalized statistics like that because there are still massive differences for race and income. Sick of hearing white people wax rhapsodic about our inevitable deathless future when my people are lucky to make it to 70.

http://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...22:%22asc%22%7D

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Oooh great we've found a new way to be offended.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Please post about people being bad with money in the Bad With Money thread

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

But really there's only one race: the human race.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This derail is probably bad with several things, but I don't think money is one of them.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

canyoneer posted:

From a gbs thread about weird customers

I literally can't imagine being rich enough where donating $250/day to the city's parking enforcement or spending $25 on orange juice wouldn't bother me.

Good x-post. This is one of those per se bad with money things, imo. I don't care if you're a billionaire.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ohgodwhat posted:

Oooh great we've found a new way to be offended.

Just don't repeat dumb myths, it's not hard. Kennedy didn't have a secretary named Lincoln and Eskimos don't have 1000 words for snow.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pig slut lisa posted:

Good x-post. This is one of those per se bad with money things, imo. I don't care if you're a billionaire.

Yeah, I'm normally solidly in the relativist camp, but this is too much for me.

E: though as I think of it, I bet that it cost one of my friends (' company) $250 to get him to work.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Want to be a fly on the wall when he says the wrong thing to a cop and they put a boot on his lambo the next time he does this.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

No "we" don't, because "we" are not all wealthy white people. You're also going to need to define who "they" is because that 60 is pulled out of your rear end.

Nope.

Well poo poo I was gonna present sources like this (http://www.unm.edu/~hkaplan/KaplanHillLancasterHurtado_2000_LHEvolution.pdf) but clearly you know better.

(Oh who am I kidding its TB they just want to start poo poo).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

Want to be a fly on the wall when he says the wrong thing to a cop and they put a boot on his lambo the next time he does this.

Eh, people usually only do that when trying to get out of the ticket. Doesn't sound like he even tried, he just considered it the cost of parking there.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

NancyPants posted:

Eh, people usually only do that when trying to get out of the ticket. Doesn't sound like he even tried, he just considered it the cost of parking there.

I'd guess the police department is happy to be GWM by letting him park there for a large fee!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

NancyPants posted:

I'm more imagining him just chatting with the cop and being "funny" about his parking tickets in a completely out of touch way and the cop being like "gently caress this guy" the next day.

Edit: I'm just saying sometimes "all cops are bastards" meets "rich bros are out of touch" and it's funny when this happens.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 27, 2017

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

I'm more imagining him just chatting with the cop and being "funny" about his parking tickets in a completely out of touch way and the cop being like "gently caress this guy" the next day.

They could do a rotation, have a cop sit there every morning, ticket him and go on their way. Honestly it might make sense to charge the kid for 365 tickets in one go amd leave him alone for the year. Or just a direct billing to the family office.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

crazypeltast52 posted:

They could do a rotation, have a cop sit there every morning, ticket him and go on their way. Honestly it might make sense to charge the kid for 365 tickets in one go amd leave him alone for the year. Or just a direct billing to the family office.

At that price wouldn't it be cheaper for him to just hire a driver and have him circle the block?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FYI to clarify my probation decision up thread:

When I ask people to stop a derail, I like to give a five minute grace period to account for anyone who hasn't had reasonable time to see my request. That's why ranbo das is in timeout and Tiny Brontosaurus isn't. I didn't see anything worth a probation in the derail itself. If anyone has questions please PM. Thanks and hug your local derail bird today.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

Edit: I'm just saying sometimes "all cops are bastards" meets "rich bros are out of touch" and it's funny when this happens.

Yes, I could see that happening. Seems silly, all that parking ticket revenue though.

pig slut lisa posted:

When I ask people to stop a derail, I like to give a five minute grace period to account for anyone who hasn't had reasonable time to see my request. That's why ranbo das is in timeout and Tiny Brontosaurus isn't. I didn't see anything worth a probation in the derail itself. If anyone has questions please PM. Thanks and hug your local derail bird today.

Just so you know, I will gently kiss the bird instead. I did appreciate the note on my last timeout though.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

In a lot of places you will get a boot for 4 tickets and $1000 owed. It is easy to fall behind on that if you are driving like an rear end in a top hat all the time. If the cops were smart about it they wouldn't even deal with the boot, just catch him with the tow truck to get this menace off the road.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

lampey posted:

In a lot of places you will get a boot for 4 tickets and $1000 owed. It is easy to fall behind on that if you are driving like an rear end in a top hat all the time. If the cops were smart about it they wouldn't even deal with the boot, just catch him with the tow truck to get this menace off the road.

I naively assumed he was paying them as they came.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NancyPants posted:

I naively assumed he was paying them as they came.

I'm sure his FO is, as above.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I would also accept a scenario where there is a fire nearby and the firetruck has to ram the car out of the way. :allears:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

Lol why would they ever boot someone like that who gladly donates the cost of a ticket to the city on a regular basis? Don't kill your golden goose and all

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

At that price wouldn't it be cheaper for him to just hire a driver and have him circle the block?

Nobody who drives a Lamborghini wants to have a driver drive him or her around. That's completely missing the point of a Lamborghini!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Lol why would they ever boot someone like that who gladly donates the cost of a ticket to the city on a regular basis? Don't kill your golden goose and all

Yeah I know, it's rare but,

Cold on a Cob posted:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cold on a Cob posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lKwkn6JT74

How right you are.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Nobody who drives a Lamborghini wants to have a driver drive him or her around. That's completely missing the point of a Lamborghini!

Ha, I forgot it was a Lambo. Maybe he could hire a driver to follow him in a motorcycle and valet his car wherever he goes.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I'd be okay with this if there were a series of jumps and a water obstacle down the aisle.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he should just take a horse to get his juice. Would they ticket a horse? BWM/GWM paradigm is questioned. :smug:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Higgy posted:

Maybe he should just take a horse to get his juice. Would they ticket a horse? BWM/GWM paradigm is questioned. :smug:

You would need an awful lot of them to match the horsepower of the lambo.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Why buy a horse when you can buy a train car and have it towed around the state? :smug:

Fake edit: and also forbid people from passing through the car, thus the legaladvice thread

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I would watch someone getting pulled in a carriage by 400 horses.

I would watch someone get hundreds of tickets because horses poo poo constantly.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Ha, I forgot it was a Lambo. Maybe he could hire a driver to follow him in a motorcycle and valet his car wherever he goes.

I mean the Lambo must be fun, but the family probably sent Winston up with the Rolls in case junior has too much to drink while out and about.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

monster on a stick posted:

Why buy a horse when you can buy a train car and have it towed around the state? :smug:

Fake edit: and also forbid people from passing through the car, thus the legaladvice thread

A private train car is GWM if you are a robber baron and need a place to plan your dastardly schemes.

And being a robber baron is always GWM.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

This is actually a really thoughtful policy and I am genuinely not saying that to suck up to a mod or whatever

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The best part about the comments is that someone dug up Amtrak's price sheet if you want to attach your own private rail car to an Amtrak train. There's a fairly hefty minimum charge, but at under $3/mile it's not as expensive as I would have imagined.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

You know, you spend enough time on the interwebs, you see enough poo poo to completely numb you to even offbeat, unusual or just plain bizzare dumbfuckery.... years go by and you think yeah, you've seen it all, you are jaded as gently caress, and then you read a story like this and realize that the surface isn't even scratched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Known Lecher posted:

The best part about the comments is that someone dug up Amtrak's price sheet if you want to attach your own private rail car to an Amtrak train. There's a fairly hefty minimum charge, but at under $3/mile it's not as expensive as I would have imagined.

I had no idea that you could do this, and the idea that you can just pay Amtrak to tow your personal car around the country is awesome. You could get an old one and furnish it as some sort of crazy luxury cabin/sleeper and cruise around the country. I mean it's not cheap, but it would be rad.