Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dude McAwesome posted:

No sunlight, lovely conditions, have to live in Rockingham, limited opportunities to smoke, sharing sleep spaces, working with weirdos etc.

Sounds like the bloody public service to me, ay mate.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
*television ads for the Australian Navy replaced with footage from Das Boot*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dude McAwesome posted:

No sunlight, lovely conditions, have to live in Rockingham, limited opportunities to smoke, sharing sleep spaces, working with weirdos etc.

Not to mention vanishing for unknown amounts of time with potentially no notice, extended no family contact and that just being routine.

Hmm work in a mine or work in a sub? Hmmmmmmm

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

DancingShade posted:

Not to mention vanishing for unknown amounts of time with potentially no notice, extended no family contact and that just being routine.

Hmm work in a mine or work in a sub? Hmmmmmmm

I can't imagine this is much different from being posted on a blue water surface vessel to be fair.

The living in Rocko thing though; well I'm in the area, and it sure as poo poo isn't for everyone. Still, I'd kill for that commute. Wonder if they need any ITIL techbros on the island...

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

thinking about submarines just makes me wonder how the gently caress they got people to become submariners in ww1/2 when it was even worse and you were much more likely to die a horrible death

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

thinking about submarines just makes me wonder how the gently caress they got people to become submariners in ww1/2 when it was even worse and you were much more likely to die a horrible death

Back then people thought it was all an adventure. It wasn't until ships full of thousands of maimed troops started coming back and sweethearts started abandoning their former fiances at the dock with horrified looks en masse that people took mortality into consideration.

Remember back then the propaganda was all about volunteering for danger to show how much of a man you were.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Because some people were born to be ballers

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

DancingShade posted:

Back then people thought it was all an adventure. It wasn't until ships full of thousands of maimed troops started coming back and sweethearts started abandoning their former fiances at the dock with horrified looks en masse that people took mortality into consideration.

Remember back then the propaganda was all about volunteering for danger to show how much of a man you were.

Yeah and it's not like you got to see how nasty war is on the TV

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

I dunno, drowning seems like a mercy compared to the western front.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

hooman posted:

I dunno, drowning seems like a mercy compared to the western front.

i'd rather be on the western front than be in the pacific basin

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah, I think I'll go for hotbunking, bad teeth and Davey Jones over trench foot, mustard gas and shrapnel.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Lid posted:

a lot of people dont want to be on sub crews because its so claustrophobic.

that, and the fact that at least on a surface vessel or a plane you can jump out and have a reasonable chance of survival if something goes wrong but in a sub you're pretty much hosed

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

is conservatism in some/most people the consequence of some kind of mental illness or impairment?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

As a rule of thumb the size of the Submarine Arm is driven by the number of qualified crew at sea, for every person at sea the Arm should contain another 1.6 – 1.8 people. So the crew size of the chosen SSN is a key determinant. For a fleet of ten of the larger British or American SSNs, an Australian submarine arm of about 3,400 would be required. The smaller French SSN would require half this number.

Australia currently has a submarine arm of about 600—there’s no credible way to grow the additional qualified manpower while overcoming the technical challenges of a transition to nuclear propulsion in time to replace the Collins class.

The Collins class has a finite life and if we embark on an under-resourced transition we stand the risk of having no operational submarine capability in the 2030s and 2040s.

The lower risk starting point is to build up to 9 conventional submarines, which would require about 1,500 in the submarine arm, bulked up with additional marine engineering officers and technicians to provide the manpower base to undertake the transition to SSN.

Modern conventional submarines, with air independent propulsion, carrying similar combat system and weapons can prevail against an SSN—the key factor is training and crew preparation.

The manpower lead-time of 15 years for nuclear propulsion would require us to start now on the process to train/recruit the nuclear expertise and plan for the transition to facilitate a final decision in 2030.

At that point the lead-time injected by the technical and logistic issues would entail a further 15 years before commissioning Australia’s first SSN, about 2046, in lieu of our tenth new conventional.

I don't think anyone (other than Tones perhaps) thinks its as simple as walking up to the US with a suitcase of case and going "10 SSNs thanks" but in the long run the unlimited range of a nuclear warship would probably be pretty useful potentially to the point of making all the effort and lead time worthwhile

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*over 25 years

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Oh yeah, just keep beating up on foreigners News Corpse :discourse:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't know why I bother having a reaction to this poo poo, but I can't help it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

NSW is really poo poo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

:dogbutton:

http://www.mamamia.com.au/how-to-pay-off-debt-2/

"People say, “I’ve got bills to pay! How can I put away 10 per cent of my income? I have to pay the bills first.” But, here’s the thing: if you pay your bills first, you will always have more bills. When you pay the bills first, the universe says, “Oh, okay. This person wishes to honour their bills. Let’s give them some more bills.” If you honour yourself by setting aside 10 per cent first, the universe says, “Oh, they are willing to honour themselves. They are willing to have more,” and it responds to that. It gives you more.

Setting aside 10 per cent is gifting to you. It’s about you being grateful for yourself. When I first did my 10 per cent account, I was doing it grudgingly because Gary had suggested to do it. The 10 per cent account will not work if you do it from the point of view of, “This book or person said to do it.” You have to do it for you. You have to do it to change the energy you have around finances and the energy you have around money. Not just because I said so and you read it here in this book. Start making the demand to create a different reality."

"How different would you feel about your life if you saw a big wad of cash every time you opened your wallet or purse instead of a lot of blank space and some scrunched up receipts? What if you enjoyed having money in there? Carry around the amount of cash that you think a wealthy person would carry."

"Buying items of intrinsic value (that means that by the nature of their material they have monetary value) is a way to enjoy having money, and to also have liquid items (liquid means easily sell-able for cash) in your life that will maintain or increase their value over time. Things like gold, silver or platinum can be bought in ounces, kilos or coins."

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
as a money man, :yossame:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

"Buying items of intrinsic value (that means that by the nature of their material they have monetary value) is a way to enjoy having money, and to also have liquid items (liquid means easily sell-able for cash) in your life that will maintain or increase their value over time. Things like gold, silver or platinum can be bought in ounces, kilos or coins."

this is one of the best paragraphs i've ever read

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My favourite part of that article is the bit where she openly tells the world that she has a safe at home stuffed full of gold and silver. That seems sensible.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Just start acting like you're rich, the universe will provide!

W.T.F.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Melbourne ups the shittest place ante with a dude killing a doctor for telling him not to smoke at the hospital entrance [ABC]

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The rich act rich and they're rich so acting rich makes you rich QED

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Pity he didn't do it on a footy field. Would have only got 2 weeks.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What does the Chinese text say?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

open24hours posted:

:10bux: it's Vietnamese and means bakery.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

open24hours posted:

The second last character is "ren" which means "man" but the character for China isn't there and that's the extent of my ability to read Chinese.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Not as damning as I'd hoped.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

open24hours posted:

https://twitter.com/redrabbleroz/status/879827683504300032

https://twitter.com/redrabbleroz/status/879828179342336001

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

If you go by Google Translate it is "Welcome to the Chinese people".

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I can't be mad about anything displacing white people.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

gay picnic defence posted:

that, and the fact that at least on a surface vessel or a plane you can jump out and have a reasonable chance of survival if something goes wrong but in a sub you're pretty much hosed

You're pretty hosed on a surface vessel if you jump off usually. The sea is big, drowns you very effectively and it's very very hard to find a single person on it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Abby says it's saying Welcome to the home of the Chinese People

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Of course she would, that Communist Spy. Don't believe her lies!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Taiwan number one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It says "Protect your car from Rat".

• Locked thread