Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kimbo305 posted:

In the ring with Mayweather, Conor will be extremely tentative as soon as Floyd lands a counter. Floyd will be able to land at will after that. He won't fight like a boxer mostly because he won't be able to generate offense that Floyd needs to care about.

I mean, who knows, maybe? But if that's the case then it sure won't look like the Hatton fight because Hatton was anything but tentative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok so I have never seen Conner fight, only vaguely knew he was thought to be a big puncher, and assumed he would be aggressive. I...don't know poo poo about boxing?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Conor is exactly like Ricky Hatton in that he eats 4 breakfasts

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Conor's way better than Ricky "hat on" at boxing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

Conor's way better than Ricky "hat on" at boxing.

It's Fatton, how do you gently caress up giving Ricky Hatton an insulting nickname?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Lol yea I wonder why I don't know the physical charterisrics of a boxer

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok so I have never seen Conner fight, only vaguely knew he was thought to be a big puncher, and assumed he would be aggressive. I...don't know poo poo about boxing?

He has really long arms in his weight class in MMA, so he half steps towards you, throws a lot of distraction kicks and feints, darts out, hand fights at punching range, generally gets you frustrated and looking to land. He starts throwing straight punches when you're just inside his range but you might not be able to land clean.
He's pretty accurate (in MMA), so once he gets his rhythm, he can really put on damage.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

kimbo305 posted:

He has really long arms in his weight class in MMA, so he half steps towards you, throws a lot of distraction kicks and feints, darts out, hand fights at punching range, generally gets you frustrated and looking to land. He starts throwing straight punches when you're just inside his range but you might not be able to land clean.
He's pretty accurate (in MMA), so once he gets his rhythm, he can really put on damage.

All of that is true and none of that tells us anything about how he will look in boxing rules.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Christ the speed of the punches Floyd is able to dodge in that video on the last page is just insane

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

All of that is true and none of that tells us anything about how he will look in boxing rules.

He's had enormous top-level success in sports that have significant overlap with his new sport. He's been preparing for this opportunity for three years at least. He's an elite athlete, and he has an elite athlete's drive and focus. On top of that he's significantly younger than his opponent, who in recent years hasn't been fighting the best competition anyway. All of this will easily balance out the 0-0 professional record and the experience disparity.

But enough about Aaron Pico.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Agreed, and maybe I should have peppered "in MMA" more in my post.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Conor's setups depend a lot on MMA's rulesets - he kicks a lot to set a particular kind of range and then zaps dudes with a counter as they close that gap with his freakishly long reach. He's not going to be able to do that against Floyd.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Work Friend Keven posted:

Lol yea I wonder why I don't know the physical charterisrics of a boxer

boxing makes an insane amount of money so i do not understand why you don't know

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Christ the speed of the punches Floyd is able to dodge in that video on the last page is just insane

I agree. Conor is gonna get hosed up.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

its simple really, nobody has ever hit floyd before, so when conor hits him he wont be ready

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The only chance for McGregor boils down to hoping that Floyd has aged a decade in the last 2 years.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

its simple really, nobody has ever hit floyd before, so when conor hits him he wont be ready

punchers_chance.txt

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

He's had enormous top-level success in sports that have significant overlap with his new sport. He's been preparing for this opportunity for three years at least. He's an elite athlete, and he has an elite athlete's drive and focus. On top of that he's significantly younger than his opponent, who in recent years hasn't been fighting the best competition anyway. All of this will easily balance out the 0-0 professional record and the experience disparity.

But enough about Aaron Pico.

I have seen people unironically say that Conor training full time for a boxing match for (at this point) less than a year is enough to make this fight interesting.

I keep expecting there to be another announcement, like 'Sorry, don't know what we were thinking, this is stupid as poo poo.'

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

I have seen people unironically say that Conor training full time for a boxing match for (at this point) less than a year is enough to make this fight interesting.

I keep expecting there to be another announcement, like 'Sorry, don't know what we were thinking, this is stupid as poo poo.'

oh, there's not a chance in hell of that happening. At this point, even if in a moment of extreme self-awareness Conor realizes he has almost no chance and there's a good chance he'll get knocked out, he'll start working on his defense, ask his trainers to put together a game plan to make it through all 12 rounds, and then cash his 9-figure check to get beaten up.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjvXRcnPvw

Since we're posting cool vids, here's Andre Berto, who I'm lead to believe is a pretty good boxer, talking about how Floyd made him feel like an idiot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

The only chance for McGregor boils down to hoping that Floyd has aged a decade in the last 2 years.

I would put Floyd in the Bhop school of defensive genius, and going by that yardstick, would need to age him 2 decades.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The most entertaining possibility for this fight is that McGregor can't touch Mayweather and Mayweather won't touch McGregor beyond what he needs to win each round. How many rounds is the match going to be?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

One 13 Second Round

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Dave posted:

One 13 Second Round

All in on McGregor huh?

Edit: Bringing a gun I mean?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 28, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I would put Floyd in the Bhop school of defensive genius, and going by that yardstick, would need to age him 2 decades.

I just spent a full minute googling for a boxer with the surname ''Bhop" before I realised who you meant.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

remusclaw posted:

The most entertaining possibility for this fight is that McGregor can't touch Mayweather and Mayweather won't touch McGregor beyond what he needs to win each round. How many rounds is the match going to be?

It's a 12 round fight, which is a big advantage for Mayweather. Most professional boxers spend years working their way up with 4-round, 6-round, 8-round and eventually 10-round fights and it's really only world title level fights that go all 12 rounds. Even then there are plenty of fighters that can't maintain pace across all 12 rounds and need to "take a round off" here and there. I think the question here isn't whether McGregor will gas out but what happens when he does.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's a 12 round fight, which is a big advantage for Mayweather. Most professional boxers spend years working their way up with 4-round, 6-round, 8-round and eventually 10-round fights and it's really only world title level fights that go all 12 rounds. Even then there are plenty of fighters that can't maintain pace across all 12 rounds and need to "take a round off" here and there. I think the question here isn't whether McGregor will gas out but what happens when he does.

Remember that noted power puncher Nate Diaz turned him into a desperate wrestler.

Is there an equivalent in boxing to 'failure to stand from butt scoot?' I remember somebody getting DQ'd against Tyson because they would not stop clinching him. Then again, the alternative was getting punched by Mike Tyson.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

I mean, the entire thing is an advantage for Mayweather. McGregor is banking on a freak heart attack or something. Winning? It will be a victory for McGregor if he can get Mayweather to breath hard.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The ref will stop a fight if it looks like a fighter is obviously collapsing from exhaustion. That also sorta falls under the "defend yourself at all times" rule. If you're too tired to defend yourself, let alone throw a punch, the ref will step in and wave the match off even if you don't get dropped.

Most boxers don't last long enough to get there because usually if they're that fatigued they'll be lowering their hands anyway and if their opponent is any good they'll exploit that.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

remusclaw posted:

. McGregor.....bank........

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Truth.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

The Ninth Layer posted:

Wow 12 whole boxing rounds, thats almost nine minutes

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

A round in boxing is whatever the timekeeper wants it to be. The time keeper holds a stopwatch and rings the bell whenever. The first professional fight i saw live the timekeeper range the bell a minute early in the first round. boxing.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Conor getting the fight signed was his victory.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Snowman_McK posted:

Remember that noted power puncher Nate Diaz turned him into a desperate wrestler.

Is there an equivalent in boxing to 'failure to stand from butt scoot?' I remember somebody getting DQ'd against Tyson because they would not stop clinching him. Then again, the alternative was getting punched by Mike Tyson.

Tyson's punching power was severely overrated.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I don't have the patience to wait for that to pay off. Puppetmaster Grem out!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grem posted:

Tyson's punching power was severely overrated.

My understanding was that he wasn't known for power, but for speed.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

He's mostly known for being a thuggish cheating rapist with mental health issues.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I like Mike Tyson's Mysteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Maybe ducking and intentionally getting tangled under the ropes. Or if your John Ruiz, clinching forever.

• Locked thread