Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rigel posted:

Reminder that Obamacare was originally the Heritage Foundation's "Conservative Alternative to Clintoncare".

The ACA WAS THEIR loving IDEA! If they get torched in 2018 for trying to destroy their own idea, that would be hilarious.

No more hilarious than them winning control of the entire government running against their own idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Rigel posted:

Reminder that Obamacare was originally the Heritage Foundation's "Conservative Alternative to Clintoncare".

The ACA WAS THEIR loving IDEA! If they get torched in 2018 for trying to destroy their own idea, that would be hilarious.

It wasn't really. It had some of the basics of the ACA but a lot of the demands that the wing nuts have. Definitely no Medicaid expansion or anything like that and IIRC they wanted to block grant it, effectively eliminating it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

nachos posted:

Imagine being a republican and realizing your dream of a billion dollar tax cut is dead because orange man bored

Trump might be the only person in that room who thinks that this bill is actually about healthcare.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Rigel posted:

No it wasn't. The only major thing they share was the individual mandate, which Heritage was certainly not the first to think of it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I can't look at that picture and think anything other than "GET YOUR PAW OFF MY LEG YOU ORANGE rear end in a top hat".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Also, I came up with some names. I'm sure at least half are taken and haven't been hosed to google them but, FOCUS TEST THESE NAMES FOR ME GOONS

Americans for America
Americans for Democracy
Americans First
Americans for America First
Put America First
West Virginians Against Foreign Intervention
West Virginians for America

:glomp:

I've helped set up two insincere PACs and one sincere one, it's good to see more of the former working against the forces of evil. :v:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 27, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

Pork Barrel Bribes

If earmarks were still a thing, congress would be in much better shape than it is right now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Sen. Lee Comments on Delayed Healthcare Vote
Jun 27 2017

WASHINGTON – Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) released the following statement Wednesday after a procedural vote on the Better Care Reconciliation Act was delayed:

The first draft of the bill included hundreds of billions of dollars in tax cuts for the affluent, bailouts for insurance companies, and subsidies for lower-income Americans. But it ignored the middle-class families who have borne the brunt of Obamacare, and who have been left behind by both parties in Washington for too long. That’s why I opposed it. And it’s why I’m happy we postponed the vote today.”

“Republicans have an opportunity now to remember those forgotten Americans. We can rewrite our bill to bring down the price working families pay for health insurance - while still protecting Americans with pre-existing conditions. I look forward to working with my colleagues, and President Trump, to finally stand up and deliver for the middle class.”

...is the bolded supposed to be good things or bad things?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

At this point tomorrow I am assuming Sara Sanders will just be asking reporters to agree that there are five lights.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Things I hate:

- tax cuts for the wealthy
- bailouts for big insurance
- provisions to make the program affordable for the working class

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

evilweasel posted:

The implication here seems to be that it helped everyone except the middle class, with no outright value judgments on the other forms of spending.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

evilweasel posted:

Two goods and a bad. In that order.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

America First is taken, Americans First isn't! gently caress yes. I'm gonna be rich ya'll.

Wait no put me down as a board member

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There is literally no way that a phrase of "Americans First" wouldn't be immediately co-opted by xenophobes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rigel posted:

No one calls the Affordable Care Act by its name. People call it Obamacare, and it will never matter who made all the amendments to the law to be what it is today, because it has been called Obamacare since it was a bill. Anything about the ACA will be pinned on Obama because the name everyone calls it by is his.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

evilweasel posted:

"The rich and the poor -- literally the same thing"

From the memoirs of the gentleman Mike Lee

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Edit: Someone already asked to grab it, thanks for playing!

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 27, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/879798939637223424

trump really putting on the sell job here

"you don't have to pass it, and if you do, i will call it mean and attack you for it. vote yes!"

This...this is just bad negotiating. This is basically saying its okay not to do it. You should be saying poo poo like "I understand this puts many of you in difficult political situations. This is a gamble. However, to further our party's agenda, we need to get over this hump. We can't go into 2018 without something to our name. All the bad press from this bill is a sunk cost: everyone already associates us with it. But, if we pass it, and immediately pass permanent tax cuts, we can win back voters and donors and turn this whole thing into a win with minimal losses, mostly in the house which we have a strangehold on anyway. Think of your party and its values, not just your seat."

But, ya know, that'd require a good negotiator to do.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Star Man posted:

No one calls the Affordable Care Act by its name. People call it Obamacare, and it will never matter who made all the amendments to the law to be what it is today, because it has been called Obamacare since it was a bill.

Every time NPR has mentioned it in the last 6 months they've called it 'The Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare."

I'm not sure if any other media organizations have started doing the same since NPR comprises 90% of non-print media I consume.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"Now we're just waiting for Mr. Mueller, my...most special guest. When he arrives we will...begin the feast."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

twice burned ice posted:

Every time NPR has mentioned it in the last 6 months they've called it 'The Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare."

I'm not sure if any other media organizations have started doing the same since NPR is the only non-print media I consume.

Even tagging on that the law is also called Obamacare after calling the law by its name still pins the entire thing on Obama. Don't even mention or acknowledge that the law has a common nickname.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Watching Sanders be like "fake news is abhorrent, you should watch this video that I don't know if it is fake or not" is pretty funny/frustrating

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Kekekela posted:

This is apparently our hero from the briefing, under 700 followers so ground floor :

https://twitter.com/BrianKarem

Did anyone else notice this?

Brian Karem's bio posted:

Columnist for Playboy

Was the mainstream media upstaged by... Playboy's WH correspondent?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Star Man posted:

Even tagging on that the law is also called Obamacare after calling the law by its name still pins the entire thing on Obama. Don't even mention or acknowledge that the law has a common nickname.
That's how you end up with idiots saying "Don't get rid of the ACA, just get rid of Obamacare! I like my ACA coverage."

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

This...this is just bad negotiating. This is basically saying its okay not to do it. You should be saying poo poo like "I understand this puts many of you in difficult political situations. This is a gamble. However, to further our party's agenda, we need to get over this hump. We can't go into 2018 without something to our name. All the bad press from this bill is a sunk cost: everyone already associates us with it. But, if we pass it, and immediately pass permanent tax cuts, we can win back voters and donors and turn this whole thing into a win with minimal losses, mostly in the house which we have a strangehold on anyway. Think of your party and its values, not just your seat."

But, ya know, that'd require a good negotiator to do.

None of them are looking to Trump for advice. It's just a bizarre pantomime of the real version of what he's trying to do, and he's a doddering old man they're propping up and pretending isn't a barely-there senile old retard. They're sitting there watching him play pretend and hoping he makes it through each public appearance without saying something absolutely indefensible or utterly asinine or both. The only negotiating that is happening is happening with Mitch McConnell.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

canepazzo posted:

Did anyone else notice this?

Was the mainstream media upstaged by... Playboy's WH correspondent?
Playboy has a legacy of surprisingly good journalism mixed in with pictures of titties. When people say they read it for the articles, some of them aren't joking.

twice burned ice posted:

That's how you end up with idiots saying "Don't get rid of the ACA, just get rid of Obamacare! I like my ACA coverage."
Which I assume is why the replacement for the "Affordable Care Act" is the "Affordable Health Care Act," to be as confusing as possible and trick people into associating it with the good ACA that they've personally seen improving their own lives, and not the nasty Obamacare that they've been told is absolutely awful.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 27, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

None of them are looking to Trump for advice. It's just a bizarre pantomime of the real version of what he's trying to do, and he's a doddering old man they're propping up and pretending isn't a barely-there senile old retard. They're sitting there watching him play pretend and hoping he makes it through each public appearance without saying something absolutely indefensible or utterly asinine or both. The only negotiating that is happening is happening with Mitch McConnell.

They aren't looking to Trump for advice, but Trump has the loudest megaphone to defend them through at a minimum 2020. They're being asked to take a hard vote and he's making clear they're on their own.

It's like if the Democrats in 2009 who were being asked to risk their seats were also told by Obama that, by the way, he might campaign against them if it was in his benefit.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

Isn't there a gelfling somewhere she can give her piece of the Dark Crystal to ?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

My god. :allears:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/timjhogan/status/879810158691483649

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Also Brian karem was there in his capacity as correspondent for the Sentinel, a newspaper.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

They aren't looking to Trump for advice, but Trump has the loudest megaphone to defend them through at a minimum 2020. They're being asked to take a hard vote and he's making clear they're on their own.

It's like if the Democrats in 2009 who were being asked to risk their seats were also told by Obama that, by the way, he might campaign against them if it was in his benefit.

He absolutely will campaign against them the second he thinks it will benefit them and they all know it.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

She's enraptured by those enormous manly hands.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

In other news:

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/879812512442699776

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

He absolutely will campaign against them the second he thinks it will benefit them and they all know it.

i think they figured he wouldn't realize it would benefit him that fast

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

nachos posted:

Imagine being a republican and realizing your dream of a billion dollar tax cut is dead because orange man bored
I'm okay with this outcome.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Trumpcare is not nearly in as much peril as its being made out to be. Obviously some tweaks will need to be made, and it was never going to be possible to get it done in 2 days, but its going to be fairly easy getting this to 50 votes. Heller and Collins will be allowed to vote no, Portman, Capito, Murkowski will be bought off with Medicaid money and opioid treatment funds. The "not evil enough crowd" will be easy to win over by cutting further regulations. Everyone McConnell needs to vote yes will vote yes, no matter how much they dislike the bill. It's worse to get this far and fail, than end up voting for a bill that no one really likes.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

"Can you loving believe this idiot?"

"Unfortunately, the voters did."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
I don't know what's going on, but sometimes Sanders looks normal and sometimes she looks like she had a stroke. Do the photos catch her mid-stress tic?

What's up with that?

• Locked thread