Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Saladin Rising posted:

I'm okay with this outcome.

Honestly, they DID try to stop him from gaining power. Not because they couldn't get their hooks in him but because he's so obviously unhinged he will eventually just go out and murder their bills wholesale by sheer incompetence.

Edit: Dogs gotta eat too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Wtf is wrong with huckabee sanders face

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Why is it that the only glimpses of humanity against this bill are the female senate Republicans?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wouldn't surprise me if he gave vladdy the information about the hole.

empty whippet box posted:

None of them are looking to Trump for advice. It's just a bizarre pantomime of the real version of what he's trying to do, and he's a doddering old man they're propping up and pretending isn't a barely-there senile old retard. They're sitting there watching him play pretend and hoping he makes it through each public appearance without saying something absolutely indefensible or utterly asinine or both. The only negotiating that is happening is happening with Mitch McConnell.

pretty much, they are going their to listen and pretend they care what he thinks and go to sleep while he mumbles about much of littlefinger he is. then they go back to loving the poor/old/sick.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TyrantWD posted:

Trumpcare is not nearly in as much peril as its being made out to be. Obviously some tweaks will need to be made, and it was never going to be possible to get it done in 2 days, but its going to be fairly easy getting this to 50 votes. Heller and Collins will be allowed to vote no, Portman, Capito, Murkowski will be bought off with Medicaid money and opioid treatment funds. The "not evil enough crowd" will be easy to win over by cutting further regulations. Everyone McConnell needs to vote yes will vote yes, no matter how much they dislike the bill. It's worse to get this far and fail, than end up voting for a bill that no one really likes.

Is it really?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Cru Jones posted:

I don't know what's going on, but sometimes Sanders looks normal and sometimes she looks like she had a stroke. Do the photos catch her mid-stress tic?

What's up with that?

That's the human side and the Huckabee side trying to break free from each other. One see's sweet feeedom, the other see's a dog near a tree.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
That cover is hilarious because it's not even a GOOD fake. It seriously looks like the kind of thing you'd waste your money on at a boardwalk or state fair or something. He's too cheap to even hire a decent counterfeiter

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Why is it that the only glimpses of humanity against this bill are the female senate Republicans?

uh only one of them is a no, murkowski is still on the fence even after the cowards are going "oh i was always a no" after the bill was pulled

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

this. if they make it more to the tea parties liking, it will be too awful for the moderates, if its for the moderates the tea party will say gently caress off. either way the CBO score will say its loving awful because they keep trying the same poo poo over and over again.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

It was the best of timelines, it was the worst of timelines. it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I hate Donnie, but Times doesn't sound like they have an legal legs here.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

The thing I find most surprising about this is that the legitimate cover has the Time logo almost entirely obscured by Kate's head, but the logo covers up Donald's head.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It was the best of timelines, it was the worst of timelines. it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Hey, answer your PMs!

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Crow Jane posted:

That cover is hilarious because it's not even a GOOD fake. It seriously looks like the kind of thing you'd waste your money on at a boardwalk or state fair or something. He's too cheap to even hire a decent counterfeiter
And he's actually been on the cover of TIME magazine something like eleven separate times. But no, he made his own.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEIihMtXOns&t=213s

Hey found Karem going off finally. Should start at the point when he starts. He's up to 28K followers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

I hate Donnie, but Times doesn't sound like they have an legal legs here.

It seems like a pretty open and shut case of a trademark violation.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/scottwongdc/status/879746204955004928

https://twitter.com/scottwongdc/status/879746588108881921

The system works

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

If looks could kill, a Secret Service agent would have already tackled her to the ground.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Oxxidation posted:

the insurance companies are screaming for action

Are they? I haven't seen it. Not doubting you, I'm just curious what they've been saying. I'd assumed they were ok with the bill because they hadn't seemed to weigh in much.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

evilweasel posted:

My grandpa had one of those framed in his basement, with a picture of him in the back of a boat with a beer and a fishing pole. Donnie should find the store that made that one and get it that way.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

evilweasel posted:

They aren't looking to Trump for advice, but Trump has the loudest megaphone to defend them through at a minimum 2020. They're being asked to take a hard vote and he's making clear they're on their own.

It's like if the Democrats in 2009 who were being asked to risk their seats were also told by Obama that, by the way, he might campaign against them if it was in his benefit.

That's my point, really. If Trump wants this to pass, he needs to make politicians feel like the political risk is worth it. And the main way to do that is to say stuff along the lines of what I said in an attempt to build unity and make people think outside themselves. That's how Clinton got tax raises through congress. It isn't easy, but that's the trick. Trump doesn't even get that. Worse, he takes it to the opposite extreme and threatens to campaign against them. That won't work on politicians. They're all narcissists and they don't like being belittled.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mustached Demon posted:

Don't want the thing not cleanly slicing through entirely. We got a lot of heads to roll here we can't have misfires.

Yes I work in a manufacturing environment.

Then you also know that with enough force even the dullest edge will sever limbs without issue.

HappyHippo posted:

The government might have to subsidize energy production in order to use low carbon sources, including nuclear. This isn't really some insurmountable problem. I see this argument come up so much in this discussion. Why do nominally left wing people suddenly care about reigning in government spending when it comes to nuclear?

The amount of willful ignorance about nuclear energy on the left is staggering. Understanding nuclear power is to leftists what understanding progressive taxation is to conservatives, and that might be unfair to conservatives since lots of them understand progressive taxation they just have a FYGM mindset.

RiggenBlaque posted:

Ha, he's already up to 1100 and climbing

Over 25k followers now.

enraged_camel posted:

Nothing on TD about the healthcare bill, but they are going apeshit about the CNN thing.

What CNN thing? There's too much crazy poo poo to know what specific thing you mean.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Petr posted:

Are they? I haven't seen it. Not doubting you, I'm just curious what they've been saying. I'd assumed they were ok with the bill because they hadn't seemed to weigh in much.

There's been a lot of scuttlebutt that they're pressuring the GOP hard because they need to lock in premium increases for the year and they can't do so with this constant wishy-washiness from Congress destabilizing their markets.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Wtf is wrong with huckabee sanders face

I don't know but it's so off-putting. Plus she looks so much older than she actually is. She's only 34 but I honestly thought she was pushing 50.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Collins has made a LOT of horrible votes for someone who knows better. She's no hero.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TyrantWD posted:

Trumpcare is not nearly in as much peril as its being made out to be. Obviously some tweaks will need to be made, and it was never going to be possible to get it done in 2 days, but its going to be fairly easy getting this to 50 votes. Heller and Collins will be allowed to vote no, Portman, Capito, Murkowski will be bought off with Medicaid money and opioid treatment funds. The "not evil enough crowd" will be easy to win over by cutting further regulations. Everyone McConnell needs to vote yes will vote yes, no matter how much they dislike the bill. It's worse to get this far and fail, than end up voting for a bill that no one really likes.

I fear you may be right. I really really hope you aren't, but I learned the folly of such thinking after they blitzkreiged this past the house when all of our pants were down.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hanales posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEIihMtXOns&t=213s

Hey found Karem going off finally. Should start at the point when he starts. He's up to 28K followers.

god drat. there is no fate too awful for these people.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Then you also know that with enough force even the dullest edge will sever limbs without issue.

The amount of willful ignorance about nuclear energy on the left is staggering. Understanding nuclear power is to leftists what understanding progressive taxation is to conservatives, and that might be unfair to conservatives since lots of them understand progressive taxation they just have a FYGM mindset.

Over 25k followers now.

What CNN thing? There's too much crazy poo poo to know what specific thing you mean.

The usual suspects (Project Veritas, confirmed scumbags) have obtained what they think is video proof of CNN pushing a fake Russia story from the get-go. Unfortunately for them Veritas has been proven to be good at one thing only, which is manipulating video evidence, plus what they seem to have obtained if I understand this correctly didn't actually show what they purport it to. As far as I can tell it just says "We should focus on Russia right now because that's the bigger story."

Which is... how reporting works?

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Evil Fluffy posted:

Probably the bit where they pulled a hastily-published article and had the journalists involved resign because it violated their procedures and wasn't fully fact-checked. You know, exhibiting journalistic integrity and all that. That's a sure sign of FAKE NEWS.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

god drat. there is no fate too awful for these people.

Avoid the comments. They are beyond redemption.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grater posted:

I don't know but it's so off-putting. Plus she looks so much older than she actually is. She's only 34 but I honestly thought she was pushing 50.

she has the huckabee family morbid obesity but it's not visible when she's looking directly at the camera

i don't like to get into criticizing her appearance but it baffled me for a little while until i realized why it's so situational

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Dem fundraising efforts are so bad.

First I have Jason Kander begging me for money for his let America vote poo poo every loving day.

Next I have generic democratic poo poo from the old OFA list. Just got an obviously scheduled email from Debra Messing about the Senate's bill that will be voted on this week. Guys, you don't have to have an email begging for money go out every 10 minutes.

This is partially why I remain registered as an independent. Granted, that has its downsides but those do not include getting constant haranguing phone calls, mailers and spam begging me for money I don't have. The DNC has to know its base is broke as gently caress in spite of most of them being worked to loving death in jobs they positively loathe (the GOP base too for that matter).

EDIT: Didn;t Trump once advocate for single payer not that terribly long ago?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Petr posted:

Oh dear Lord they are not ok with this. They just can't move fast enough to squash this. Their cognitive dissonance is holding them back too. The executives want the tax cuts personally, the industry will take a massive hit.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

doubt it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Petr posted:

They're screaming for some kind of resolution, They hate being stuck in limbo between the ACA and BCRA, they just want something in place and they'll figure out how to gouge everyone from there. Being stuck in the middle is causing a shitload of uncertainty, especially with all of the threats to subsidy pool even if this fails.

And as much as they hate the regulations built into ACA, they really enjoy the huge stream of money that it sends their way through the individual mandate and the government subsidized exchanges

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 27, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ceiling fan posted:

Oh dear Lord they are not ok with this. They just can't move fast enough to squash this. Their cognitive dissonance is holding them back too. The executives want the tax cuts personally, the industry will take a massive hit.

They also are wary that public opposition will just get trump mad at them and not contribute to defeating it (and make him more likely to pull cost-sharing subsidies out of spite).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

he's using a forgery of Time's newspaper with their giant trademark in commerce and deliberately holding it out as real to the public

it's one thing if you or I have a fake time cover in our house, it's another for a businessman to be using a fake in multiple businesses that are branded based on his name

Covok
May 27, 2013

Any one in the insurance industry who voted Trump is probably kicking themselves.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

"Atoms!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, faking a newspaper cover would be a tricky case at best unless he's using it to advertise his own show. And it isn't his show anymore, far as I recall, either.

• Locked thread