Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This anime cosplayer chick looks like a cartoon character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Holy poo poo, today's Final should have been a clue in the first round, talk about a gimme.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Heather boldly wearing a helmet on national TV

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Colonial Air Force posted:

Heather boldly wearing a helmet on national TV

I didn't realize schoolmarms still existed.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Timby posted:

Yeah, I feel like if you're going to actually be on the show, you should take a crash course in Brit Lit, landmark Supreme Court cases, pop culture (movies and television), the Revolutionary, Civil and Vietnam Wars, and, like, a Science for Dummies book, because nine times out of ten it feels like Final Jeopardy comes from one of those areas.

The real bane of my existence are Shakespeare, famous universities and sports categories.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Every Jeopardy sports category is a complete cupcake if you know anything at all about sports, and I hate that contestants always get to them last.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
What if the only sport you know anything about is roller derby

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

banned from Starbucks posted:

This anime cosplayer chick looks like a cartoon character.

I spent way too long trying to figure out what franchise she was talking about.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I spent way too long trying to figure out what franchise she was talking about.

Trap sprung.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

Every Jeopardy sports category is a complete cupcake if you know anything at all about sports, and I hate that contestants always get to them last.

same. chu was the worst about it.

my weaknesses are opera, ballet, sometimes poetry.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Buddy, I'm not sure Jimmy Hoffa was an "entrepreneur."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
As if Donald Trump would ever buy anything under an assumed name. Christ.

Also, knew it was Disney as soon as I saw 27,000 acres and Florida on the clue.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im so glad both those guys lost with retarded answers.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
making "And Then There Were None" the solution to a clue seems like a real bad idea

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Today I learned that sweet rhymes with free, apparently

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Vulture Culture posted:

Today I learned that sweet rhymes with free, apparently

Nah, the kid's name is Swee'Pea. No T in there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swee%27Pea

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

making "And Then There Were None" the solution to a clue seems like a real bad idea

hahahaha

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

FrumpleOrz posted:

Nah, the kid's name is Swee'Pea. No T in there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swee%27Pea
My childhood has been a lie :saddowns:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Vulture Culture posted:

My childhood has been a lie :saddowns:

Don't get me started on the whole Brutus/Bluto thing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
baldie has never felt all that dominant but he's racked up quite a reign. I was sure he was gonna be a 1 day champ.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
FJ seemed really easy today. "Tea" puts you in the mindset of "stuffy British sorts" and then it's a pretty short list of possible tournaments/events.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PT6A posted:

FJ seemed really easy today. "Tea" puts you in the mindset of "stuffy British sorts" and then it's a pretty short list of possible tournaments/events.

That was pretty much my thought process as well. Helps that Wimbeldon is happening right now too.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

My mind went to the [British] Open :(

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it mus tbe cool having the job of clue writer.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

it mus tbe cool having the job of clue writer.

The AV Club interviewed one

http://www.avclub.com/article/whats-it-be-one-jeopardy-clue-writers-216093

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

I was a casual fan. I hadn’t watched it that regularly—in fact, I had to frantically watch a few episodes when I was trying to get the researcher job and submitting sample clues.

the gently caress.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
It's not shocking, there's nothing very specific about the format you couldn't pick up quickly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I just wish they would stop asking contestants about their lovely, boring lives.

I guess it's a good thing I'll never get picked as a possible contestant because my response to that would be "can we just play the game?" (because my life is also lovely and boring, otherwise I wouldn't have applied to try and play the game for some spending money).

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I just wish they would stop asking contestants about their lovely, boring lives.

I guess it's a good thing I'll never get picked as a possible contestant because my response to that would be "can we just play the game?" (because my life is also lovely and boring, otherwise I wouldn't have applied to try and play the game for some spending money).

This is an astonishingly bad take. The stories are the best part of the show.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Pinterest Mom posted:

They are only entertaining when summed up here: https://twitter.com/CoolJepStories

The actual live interviews are cringe-inducingly awkward.

Like, this sounds like they'd be interesting stories:

https://twitter.com/CoolJepStories/status/874402446545756160

But nope, they suck.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 7, 2017

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

It turns out that it's hard for people who have probably never been on TV to tell a concise, engaging story with a camera in their face.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This is my favorite contestant story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55md65bkHUE&t=54s

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

They are easily the worst and should be skipped through with the dvr just like commercials. Jeopardys strength as a show is that it actually spends nearly all its time asking its questions unlike all the other shows that ask like 10 trivia questions in 30 minutes and spend the rest of time spinning wheels and clapping.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

"A couple!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pinterest Mom posted:

nope. dvr was a godsend.

you have to come up with five stories during auditions. i don't even have a single interesting story about my life.

plus they could get all the clues in every time if they eliminated it (or the 9 minutes of commercials after the game's over).

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The actual live interviews are cringe-inducingly awkward.

Yeah, that's why they're good.

Like, this is a fantastic cringe comedy tv moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSMHjtk_giQ

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Groovelord Neato posted:

nope. dvr was a godsend.

you have to come up with five stories during auditions. i don't even have a single interesting story about my life.

plus they could get all the clues in every time if they eliminated it (or the 9 minutes of commercials after the game's over).

The only mildly interesting thing that happened in my life is getting cancer in 2011 (the boring kind, that is to cancer what Dane Cook is to comedy).

I don't think that would make for good Jeopardy TV even if I made it that far, so I wouldn't go into it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was great when it got to the point they wouldn't have ken jennings tell a story because he'd be on for so long.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The only mildly interesting thing that happened in my life is getting cancer in 2011 (the boring kind, that is to cancer what Dane Cook is to comedy).

If you say it like that and burn Dane Cook on tv that would actually be a v good story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I wrote down all the interesting stories I could think of for my audition and the guy just asked me about the email address I put on the application