Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/jeremynoell/status/879814082538471424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
My favorite 3 are probably my old frame judge foil crucible of worlds because I love that card and it looks sick, my Japanese foil M14 young pyromancer because I love young peezy and pulled it in a prize pack, and my Christopher Rush signed beta bolt because it looks sick and bolt is the card I love the most.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Reminds me a lot of Urza's Saga, taking a bunch of staples, giving them cycling, and adding 1 to their mana cost, like Expunge and Lull.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Reminds me a lot of Urza's Saga, taking a bunch of staples, giving them cycling, and adding 1 to their mana cost, like Expunge and Lull.

Yeah, pretty much.

I wonder if this helps the bad New Perspectives deck, since it's can tutor up the signature card or cycle as needed

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

80s James Hetfield posted:

I'm like the complete opposite. I mostly win via Fevered Visions or I get them down to 8-12 life then just blast them in the mid-late game with a 10+ damage Fateful Showdown. I'm not actually sure I ever won a game with Approach. By the time you get to Turn 9 where you have the turn to cast it with Fog backup you've already destroyed their life with Vision damage.

What do you use As Foretold for? Most of the spells are 2-3 CMC so once your Foretold hits counters 4-5-6-7(Approach) what one spell are you casting for free that warrants using it, seems clunky to me but obviously YMMV? Also, I run 2x Lumbering Falls and 1x Needle Spires and people will just lazily "Attack With All" after like 3-4 turns of being fogged and you can chip in for 3 points or 4 points as a time with Manlands.

I don't like this build at all, I feel like he's trying to do too much and have answers for anything.

The As Foretold is basically a free fog after your second turn which leaves all of your mana free on the opponent's turn to cast draw spells, or counter spells if folks get cute and try to counter the fogs. By turn three you're slamming Fevered Visions for free on your turn. By turn four all of the card draw is free and it's basically over. It also means you can drop an Approach on T7 with negate protection available and still have a fog available for the opponent's turn.

Additionally, the fact that fogs are free on your opponent's turns leaves mana open for Lumbering Falls on your turn off needed.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hmm, I know this effect is stone unplayable at 4 mana. What if we give it cycling and make it cost more?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Will this card bring Seasons Past back to standard?

no

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jenx posted:

Huh that...that is not how I would have imagined Ugin being pronounced. Then again, Russian is kind of weird like that.

It really is. My favorite is Lotus Bloom. It's translated to "Blooming of the Lotus" which is so much cooler, imo.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

the Orb of Zot posted:

I mean if it wasn't a land that tapped for mana, I would have dismissed it on the spot.

Thinking more thorughly about it, it'll probably only see play in EDH, if even that (given how land destruction completely ruins it, and how you have Safe Haven as a cheaper alternative in terms of mana)

It'll see play in Standard, given that Panharmonicon exists and playable LD doesn't.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Hmm, I know this effect is stone unplayable at 4 mana. What if we give it cycling and make it cost more?

Laziness and lack of playtesting cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Diabolic Tutor saw play in Odyssey era mono-black :colbert:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Cycling is the default mode of the spell. It has a 3B kicker to turn it into a tutor. It's better a better card than Diabolic Tutor.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

There's much more interesting design space they could've explored.

BBB
Search your deck for a card with CMC equal to or less than the number of cards in your graveyard.
Cycling B

Beseech the Queen is a reasonable baseline for the tutoring effect.

5 mana diabolic tutor with cycling is not only bad it's boring.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

whydirt posted:

Cycling is the default mode of the spell. It has a 3B kicker to turn it into a tutor. It's better a better card than Diabolic Tutor.

If it was Instant i'd agree with you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PJOmega posted:

There's much more interesting design space they could've explored.

BBB
Search your deck for a card with CMC equal to or less than the number of cards in your graveyard.
Cycling B

Beseech the Queen is a reasonable baseline for the tutoring effect.

5 mana diabolic tutor with cycling is not only bad it's boring.

I too think better Grim Tutor is fine

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

According to Gatherer:

It's not terribly surprising that it works on MODO though.

Makes sense! Did just reconfirm that it works on modo though. The well of bugs will never go dry.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

I too think better Grim Tutor is fine

At least this one wouldn't cost over $200.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this is going to be one of the best uncommons of the set almost certainly. Reminds me of Murder of Crows

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Elyv posted:

this is going to be one of the best uncommons of the set almost certainly. Reminds me of Murder of Crows

Yeah that's a cut above the Angler Drake in most instances, probably on par with the rare sphinx for 2UU that lets you scry when you cycle. Turning each cycle into a combat trick is going to make attacking into mana impossible.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Ominous Sphinx is going to be a loving chore to play against in Limited

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

ZeroCount posted:

Ominous Sphinx is going to be a loving chore to play against in Limited

Reminds me of the joy that was Troubled Healer in Prophecy.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Elyv posted:

Combat is already a pain in the rear end with a Ruthless Sniper active. This is going to be brutal. Reminds me of Silvergill Dowser.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

our latest Disperse with upside

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

PJOmega posted:

Combat is already a pain in the rear end with a Ruthless Sniper active. This is going to be brutal. Reminds me of Silvergill Dowser.

Crap, and I thought that merciless javelineer + ruthless sniper was annoying.

Being new to drafting, what would y'alls reactions have been opening an ulamog in early draft ($$$ notwithstanding)? Is it a 'oh nice I can make this work, or 'this bomb is unplayable in this format'. I'm still trying to work out the kinks of drafting.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Being new to drafting, what would y'alls reactions have been opening an ulamog in early draft ($$$ notwithstanding)? Is it a 'oh nice I can make this work, or 'this bomb is unplayable in this format'. I'm still trying to work out the kinks of drafting.

Suboptimal. Even in slow formats, 10 is just so much. Your average deck will have 17ish land, so you would need to have a bunch of land and some scions/kozilek's channeler. In BFZ specifically I might have thought there was a chance because there are so many mana producers, but 10 is such a large number.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Carl Killer Miller posted:

10 mana cards are generally unplayable in anything other than decks specifically built from the ground up around being able to cast them or cheating them onto the battlefield without paying their mana cost, and in this case I mean 'unplayable' in the literal sense - the game will end before it is possible for you to cast the card.

Eldrazi ramp was kind of an archetype in BFZ limited, so it wouldn't have been impossible to make that work, but you would probably want to at least get passed a couple other big bomb-y cards to make sure you had the payoff for it and my Plan A would still be to take Ulamog for the $$$ and then pick the best card in pack two as if he was never there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I look forward to hearing stories of people tutoring with this, picking up their deck to search, and finding out the card they're looking for was the top card.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Elyv posted:

Oh wow. It's not Far and Away, but that's still pretty great.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

whydirt posted:

I don't really get this. In a cycling based deck I guess, but cycling has been a pretty real cost for me. Decks I've played built around cycling have been hard to get momentum with (all my experience is in draft)

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Elyv posted:

This card seems sneakily good

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It could have cost the same as Diabolic Tutor and been a common and even then it would only barely be playable in Pauper, never mind any other format.

Overpriced tutors feel so much worse than overpriced versions of anything else, I dunno why.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Do X-costed spells trigger imminent doom the way I think they do? I.e. Casting an endless one for 4 triggers a doom with 4 counters on it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Veyrall posted:

Do X-costed spells trigger imminent doom the way I think they do? I.e. Casting an endless one for 4 triggers a doom with 4 counters on it.

The CMC of X on the stack is what you paid for it, so yes.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

My prettiest cards are these ones:

And if I had to pick one as absolute favorite it would be the Maze.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Veyrall posted:

Yes.

When an X spell is being cast or is on the stack, its mana cost is calculated using the actual value for X. Any other time, X is zero.

If you have an Endless One in hand and your opponent hits you with Transgress the Mind, they can't take it because its CMC is 0.

If you cast an Endless One where X = 5, it's a 5 mana spell on the stack. It would trigger Imminent Doom appropriately and it couldn't be countered by Spell Queller.

Once it's on the battlefield, it's X goes back to being 0 even though it has five counters on it. Your opponent can kill it with Fatal Push.

In your graveyard, X is still 0, so you could bring it back with the front half of Claim to Fame (though this wouldn't be a very good play, since it would come back without any counters and immediately die).

X spells get a little screwier when cost reductions or alternate costs get involved. For instance, if you flashback a Conflagrate, you still calculate its CMC on the stack using its normal casting cost and the given value for X. Discarding three cards makes it a 7 mana spell, even though that's not what you actually paid.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Welp, guess it's time to just admit here that Imminent Doom is going to be the next aetherworks and it's going to be banned in Standard.

actually, it's probably going to go into Against the Odds where SO is going to completely miss the X cost interaction in deckbuilding

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Entropic posted:

I look forward to hearing stories of people tutoring with this, picking up their deck to search, and finding out the card they're looking for was the top card.

Idk if they're doing it intentionally but I see a lot of pros start searching from the bottom and it seems like it might be a good practice lmao

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Shortest Path posted:

It could have cost the same as Diabolic Tutor and been a common and even then it would only barely be playable in Pauper, never mind any other format.

Overpriced tutors feel so much worse than overpriced versions of anything else, I dunno why.

It's because the first two playable tutors were severely undercosted so now everyone is allergic to paying what they should.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Star Man posted:

The joke is that I wish I was dead because I'm too chicken poo poo to do it myself and need an act of God to do it for me.

Hey friend. Instead of opening a booster box, why not open one of these suicide hotlines? Seeking help can be daunting but it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-ubr-39150#paper

UBR deck that runs a bunch of Dork artifacts to help cast metalwork colossus. Reminds me a lot of the lattice decks from scars. This has top 8'd a couple modos lately but how do you win with it exactly? What am I searching for when I crack my inventors fair? This deck does a lot but I'm not doing whatever I should be to make it work well.