Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

The phrase "call a spade a spade" is not inherently racist.

It's not. The word "niggardly" is also not.

But good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

What are you gonna call a spade a rake or something

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Shifty Nipples posted:

What are you gonna call a spade a rake or something

You should see the looks when I call them hearts.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Leavemywife posted:

The phrase "call a spade a spade" is not inherently racist.

Why would that be racist? Literally never heard anything called a spade other than the digging tool / card suit.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You loving goons

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Bogan King posted:

Why would that be racist? Literally never heard anything called a spade other than the digging tool / card suit.
Because "spade" is a semi-obscure slur for a black person.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Subumbra literally translates to "under shadow."
Yes, that's so. I'm not sure if you're saying it to argue with me or to agree, though.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Thankfully here in :australia: we're quite comfortable being open with our racism so don't need dog whistles like that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Yes, that's so. I'm not sure if you're saying it to argue with me or to agree, though.

It was for the benefit of goons who did not get a proper municipal education.

e: Oh I didn't even look at my post of course the bit you quoted didn't show up when I quoted your post.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bogan King posted:

Thankfully here in :australia: we're quite comfortable being open with our racism so don't need dog whistles like that.

And the guy with Bogan as a user name was the first to mention the phrase "dog whistle"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

It was for the benefit of goons who did not get a proper municipal education.
Ah, fair enough. Though in this case, a classical education might be more appropriate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Ah, fair enough. Though in this case, a classical education might be more appropriate.

I did say proper municipal education.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I just wanted to contrast 'municipal' with some other '-al.' A feeble attempt at reparteé. :eng99:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

You loving goons

Yes this is a good example of calling a spade a spade, thank you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

I just wanted to contrast 'municipal' with some other '-al.' A feeble attempt at reparteé. :eng99:

The old idontthinkso-al.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bogan King posted:

You're kidding, right? The refugee issue is nothing but dog-whisle politics. Has been since Howard.

Though, to be fair, it seems like the bigots are becoming more open about it in recent times.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bogan King posted:

Post/avatar text combo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

You loving goons

To be fair, I was trying to be funny, knowing perfectly well why the phrase is offensive to some.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

You're kidding, right? The refugee issue is nothing but dog-whisle politics. Has been since Howard.

Though, to be fair, it seems like the bigots are becoming more open about it in recent times.

maybe you have both dogwhistle racism and socially acceptable casual racism

:thunk:

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
For the northern hemisphere, the school year starts in the middle of the year.

The mortar is the bowl bit. The pestle is the stick bit.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

AtomD posted:

This was always super weird coming from a country where the school year just follows the actual year. Very strange. Especially when I visited my cousins in Canada and they only got like a week of holidays over Christmas while I was on my six week break.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

AtomD posted:

What do you consider "middle"? It starts in September in the States, April in Japan. That's quite a spread.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hirayuki posted:

What do you consider "middle"? It starts in September in the States, April in Japan. That's quite a spread.

"Not January or February"

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Although the worst part of the Australian school year is it nearly always had my birthday as the first day of the year.

loving worst birthday present being woken up at 6:30AM for the first time in 6 weeks and having to go to school :argh:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

De'ath is not a fake name.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've only ever seen it spelt D'eath, wonder if the etymology is the same.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

iajanus posted:

I've only ever seen it spelt D'eath, wonder if the etymology is the same.

Dunno but a De'ath was involved (but not charged) in Operation Yewtree.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jerry Cotton posted:

I know a man named Viktor Deathrage.
He does not like up to his namesake.

Edit: I just googled him and it was all anime prettyboys. What the junk

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

What the gently caress is going on here?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

De'ath comes for us all.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Ath is a town in the north of France. "de" means "from".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hirayuki posted:

The school year in the USA is basically based upon farm work

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just assumed it started in September everywhere

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Surely it starts at the same time everywhere but rather than a certain date it starts when summer ends and ends when summer starts. In Oz it's summer during December etc. right?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

EmmyOk posted:

Surely it starts at the same time everywhere but rather than a certain date it starts when summer ends and ends when summer starts. In Oz it's summer during December etc. right?

it seems so. i learned something new here too now :)

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The video game vvvvvv is called that because it's what the spikes everywhere look like

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

In '6 Foot 7 Foot' by Lil Wayne, the line: "bitch, real Gs move in silence like lasagna"

Because the G in lasagna is silent. Christ it's taken me like 6 years to realise this isn't just random gibberish

YYZ has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Jun 29, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Being on a podcast that discussed Freddy Vs Jason, I realized that I know more about both franchises than I thought. Like, I planned on going through the entire episode being schooled by the host, but I kept answering his questions about the movies.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

It is summer in December, and (although I've picked it up reasonably recently) it's still bizarre to me that other places don't have the same understanding of what constitutes seasons (eg. in Australia summer is strictly defined as 1/12-28/2, autumn is 1/3-31/5, etc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season#Australasian_seasons). It seems such a fundamental thing that's drilled into you as a kid that it's mindboggling that there's any other way of thinking about it.

As such school summer holidays normally go from mid-December till the end of January (my birthday, which sadly is often the first school day :suicide:)

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Seasons in huge swathes of the US are largely arbitrary (see the Gulf Coast, which has "seasons" closer to rainy/less rainy than hot/cold) so it can't really be nailed down. Summer in Houston, for example, lasts from mid-February to November, with maybe a couple cold fronts in the fall and spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

TheKennedys posted:

Seasons in huge swathes of the US are largely arbitrary (see the Gulf Coast, which has "seasons" closer to rainy/less rainy than hot/cold) so it can't really be nailed down. Summer in Houston, for example, lasts from mid-February to November, with maybe a couple cold fronts in the fall and spring.

They're fairly arbitrary here (especially in the north), but that doesn't stop us just nailing down the three month periods and calling them specific seasons. It seems weird since in no way do we directly connect the season to the weather (hell, it's been >20 degrees all week here in Brisbane in the middle of "winter" and seldom gets cold enough to put a jacket on). I guess for us the idea of seasons primarily is just a neat way of naming each quarter of the year.