Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LongDarkNight posted:

Just guessing, but I doubt their contract for Netrunner IP includes making an RPG.

That sounds negotiable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

LongDarkNight posted:

Just guessing, but I doubt their contract for Netrunner IP includes making an RPG.

Isn't Android an FFG property? They just licensed the Netrunner game system for the LCG game, I thought. The Android board game preceded that deal.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If memory serves, the impetus for Vampire: the Masquerade was Mark Rein-Hagen and Stewart Wieck getting excited after seeing Lost Boys.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

demota posted:

Isn't Android an FFG property? They just licensed the Netrunner game system for the LCG game, I thought. The Android board game preceded that deal.
Yeah. The original setting for Netrunner (when it was published by WotC in the late 1990s) was the Cyberpunk 2020 license from R Talsorian. FFG brought the game back and grafted their own Android setting onto it, replacing the R Tal material.

FFG did this the long out-of-print Dune boardgame - they reimplemented it rule-for-rule and changed the setting so that it all took part in some city on a world in their Twilight Imperium universe.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So due to the choice of name of FFG's generic RPG and dice system, one of the particularly ill-fated (and seemingly totally unrelated) games to bear that name came up in the general chat thread.

quote:

Genesys was, IIRC, yet another high fantasy D20-based RPG. Their big selling point was that the setting was based around 9 women who were something akin to the Icons in 13th Age. They had a contest for cosplayers to be "one of the nine." The most free advertising they got from this was when some of the contestants took to social media to complain that they were experienced cosplayers who'd been passed over in favour of, basically, whoever fit the most conventionally pretty "booth babe" look.

While this gets some of the predictable failure of the Genesys RPG, it leaves out a lot of the bizarre spectacle.

Genesys was the half-formed thought of two men in the tech industry who had more money than sense. Their original idea was for generic and universal system and a a multiversal setting, governed by 9 "Fates" that would serve as Iconic characters, the core of in setting factions and so on. One of them (maybe both? It's been a long time) had a background in app development, and the thought was that eventually they'd make an app to support their game, making it a standout offering compared to anything available at the time.

Instead, without any real experience in game design, they cobbled together a nearly nonfunctional system that managed to be flavorless and obtuse at the same time, and a setting bible that could charitably called skeletal. They had plenty of funds to burn at the time, and could've easily hired actual experienced writers of tabletop games...but instead chose to pour their not inconsiderable resources into a marketing blitz.

Before they had an actual product.

Or even a playable game.

They quickly found a marketing company willing to take their money, and put forth a lavish outlay on a grand GenCon coming out. The had designs commissioned for their iconic characters, costumes designed and constructed by (at the time) up and coming fashion designer Asher Levine. They would run a contest to get women to cosplay them* and run an event at GenCon, where they'd give "quests" to convention attendees who could earn tokens to be redeemed for an exclusive party and free drinks at an establishment they had partnered with. They'd dovetail this with promotion for their game's app, cross promoting the tabletop game with the electronic tools.

And then, with perhaps months left before Gencon, one of the two owners decides that they really like Pathfinder, and want to do a Pathfinder version of their setting, and focus the app on being a third party Pathfinder tool.
This goes about as well as you'd expect.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

homullus posted:

So FFG is finally going to unshackle the narrative dice system Jay Little made for WFRP3e from other people's IPs. I have never played a Android/Netrunner game, but with all the art they have built up, I think that art and this system could be a good match. They certainly imply so in the release.

I'm happy about this, but unless they do something more substantial with the character building, the actual PCs are going to be just as boring as they are in the Star Wars RPG. If they have a system in place for you customize your characters more like WHFRP3e then this will be sick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LeSquide posted:

Genesys was the half-formed thought of two men in the tech industry who had more money than sense. Their original idea was for generic and universal system and a a multiversal setting, governed by 9 "Fates" that would serve as Iconic characters, the core of in setting factions and so on. One of them (maybe both? It's been a long time) had a background in app development, and the thought was that eventually they'd make an app to support their game, making it a standout offering compared to anything available at the time.

Instead, without any real experience in game design, they cobbled together a nearly nonfunctional system that managed to be flavorless and obtuse at the same time, and a setting bible that could charitably called skeletal. They had plenty of funds to burn at the time, and could've easily hired actual experienced writers of tabletop games...but instead chose to pour their not inconsiderable resources into a marketing blitz.

Before they had an actual product.

Or even a playable game.

They quickly found a marketing company willing to take their money, and put forth a lavish outlay on a grand GenCon coming out.
As bizarre as this is, it hits all the classic points for tech-industry folly--a cargo cult enterprise, where marketing and going to conventions and having booth babes, etc. came before actually designing a product that anybody would want to buy. Oh, but we have an app...!

The last time I heard about an inexperienced person sinking so much money into a tabletop game was the trust-fund baby behind Noir, who ripped off her staff but had a lavish party at GenCon. Noir was, by all accounts, a thoroughly middle-of-the-road 90s game.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

LeSquide posted:

And then, with perhaps months left before Gencon, one of the two owners decides that they really like Pathfinder, and want to do a Pathfinder version of their setting, and focus the app on being a third party Pathfinder tool.
This goes about as well as you'd expect.

I would like to know more.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/880283341634781185

My usual reminder that the author of the Adventurer Conqueror King System is a piece of poo poo

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/880283341634781185

My usual reminder that the author of the Adventurer Conqueror King System is a piece of poo poo

What is the Escapist anymore, just Zero Punctuation and hangers on? I've often wondered why Yahtzee doesn't just go off and do a Patreon, since he's got a pretty big following.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

rkajdi posted:

What is the Escapist anymore, just Zero Punctuation and hangers on? I've often wondered why Yahtzee doesn't just go off and do a Patreon, since he's got a pretty big following.

I would imagine that at this point it's because he agrees with what's going on there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Escapist is probably paying him hand over fist to stay there because of the ancellary traffic that comes in and hits other pages and thus other advertisements. He's basically their only video content producer after the mass exodus of 3+ years back.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I can't imagine he's too involved or cares too much, he pretty much came on shortly before / during The Escapist shifting from a respected video games commentary site to the lowest-common denominator meme-scraping garbage heap, so if he didn't mind then, he's not gonna mind now. They'd have to dick him over in some way and it would seem amazingly stupid not to give him the star treatment at this point.

I remember when a number of noted TG folks like John Tynes used to write for it. My favorite is the early Tynes article talking about how the Dolphin (later known as the Wii) was going to sink Nintendo for good because Nintendo couldn't do hardware. Ah, to be so innocent...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I can't imagine he's too involved or cares too much, he pretty much came on shortly before / during The Escapist shifting from a respected video games commentary site to the lowest-common denominator meme-scraping garbage heap, so if he didn't mind then, he's not gonna mind now. They'd have to dick him over in some way and it would seem amazingly stupid not to give him the star treatment at this point.
I'm disinclined to believe that respectable high-minded video game punditry is a thing that exists.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm disinclined to believe that respectable high-minded video game punditry is a thing that exists.

I'm rather partial to Jim Sterling. I'm not 100% sure what high-minded means to you, but he's actually one of the few games journalists who is actually doing journalism and not just reprinting press releases. He's pretty vulgar, but he's also a good consumer advocate against the scummier practices in the industry, as well as standing up to some of the fairly abusive indie devs out there. He used to be with Escapist but was part of the mass exodus mentioned. It doesn't hurt that while he was a jerk in the past, he's fairly friendly to the whole social justice idea in gaming now.

You are right that it's still very much enthusiast press in general, which leads to lots of fawning instead of decent journalism. I'd like it to get to that point (i.e. be more like film criticism) but GG set it back at least five years if not more.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Halloween Jack posted:

Waypoint was created to basically be this, and for my money they're doing pretty well at it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

If you ever want to look back at what The Escapist used to be like when they were an online magazine and had folks like John Tynes, Warren Spector, Kieron Gillen, etc. writing for them - you can download all their old issues here.

They even had TG articles now and then, if rarely.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Rock Paper Shotgun was pretty good, like, most of a decade ago. Now every time I go there it's milquetoast opinions about AAA games or reviewers trying, bouncing off, and complaining about the kind of indie games that I used to go there to read positive reviews about, but maybe that's based on an unfairly small sample size; I don't read them much any more.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Rock Paper Shotgun's John Walker may be one of the worst game journos strictly from a "this man spent 2500 words to say nothing of any substance" around. I don't know if he has terrible opinions about social issues or anything, he's just a real lovely writer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

It's around if you know where to look, and over ten years ago, The Escapist had some.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Halloween Jack posted:

So long as outlets like Waypoint and ZEAL exist there will actually be good actual discussion and criticism of games.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The worst moment for Rock Paper Shotgun was the Fallout New Vegas review, which you could've mistaken for entirely made up by somebody who didn't actually play the game if not for the little things like a screenshot of a flat desert area intended to show how empty the game was. That screenshot, of course, was taken with the player's back to a giant solar collector facility with a huge tower, rows of solar panels, etc, eliminating the possibility of incompetence and veering right into basic lying.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

The worst moment for Rock Paper Shotgun was the Fallout New Vegas review, which you could've mistaken for entirely made up by somebody who didn't actually play the game if not for the little things like a screenshot of a flat desert area intended to show how empty the game was. That screenshot, of course, was taken with the player's back to a giant solar collector facility with a huge tower, rows of solar panels, etc, eliminating the possibility of incompetence and veering right into basic lying.

Yeah, Quintin Smith really, really did not like that game and boy did it show. Also, he apparently has a pretty bad ear for writing if he thought Fallout 3 was better.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Xarbala posted:

Yeah, Quintin Smith really, really did not like that game and boy did it show. Also, he apparently has a pretty bad ear for writing if he thought Fallout 3 was better.

You'd have to be functionally retarded to think Fallout 3 was better than New Vegas.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Peas and Rice posted:

You'd have to be functionally retarded to think Fallout 3 was better than New Vegas.

For a certain kind of player, there are some things Fallout 3 does well (Mindlessly running from point to point right from the start of the game, shooting everyone and everything without having to actually think about it), and I've got a couple friends who prefer 3 to NV (I do take every opportunity to remind them that they're objectively wrong, though).

That review, though... yikes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

This.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Anyone who writes articles or reviews videogames for a living is likely to have the intellect of a belligerant chimpanzee or at most of a particularly not very scholarly ourang-outan, with the sole exception of the lovely people from HG101, and therefore you should not bother reading what these people have to say at all.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
FO3 was good, I liked New Vegas but it's a thematic mess, Plutonis should not be impugning the intelligence of anyone, namaste.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
One day, every thread on SA will be about Fallout 3.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I was just being flippant, and am far too casual a gamer to really know what I'm talking about. I don't mean to impugn those who are actually writing good stuff about games.

Golden Bee posted:

I think you mean Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fallout 3 and BvS: two lovely things that are shittier together.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There must be a mod, right?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Golden Bee posted:

To be fair, in the case of New Vegas its designers were very open on the influence of classic TTRPGs on their design philosophy, so there's an (Arguable) case to be made for talking about it here.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Serf posted:

Fallout 3 and BvS: two lovely things that are shittier together.

BvS is good, actually.

Fallout 3 is trash but not only for "bad RPG" reasons; it's also because shooting feels so crappy in that engine. Even better writing / quest design in New Vegas can't save it from the bad gameplay that plagues them both.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

There must be a mod, right?

I did poke around and there are Batman and Superman mods for Fallout 3, but all the BvS mods are for Fallout 4.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

BvS is good, actually.

lmao

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lex Luthor grandstanding about the Problem of Evil to a man who's sincerely uncomfortable with the idea of playing God is a great dynamic and the whole movie is a love letter to Arthurian legend and to Excalibur in particular.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Fallout 3 is interesting as a game where you wander around the wreckage of DC and kind of poo poo when it tries to be anything else. New Vegas has a better narrative and better gunplay but neither of those is actually good or fun except when compared to FO3's shitshow efforts at same and the world it's set in is transparently a construct to facilitate the rest of the game so it isn't interesting on its own

I can't really disagree that FO3 is bad because so much of it is bad. It's just that what isn't bad is unique and absorbing.

Batman v Superman is irredeemable garbage though

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

BvS is good, actually.

Fallout 3 is trash but not only for "bad RPG" reasons; it's also because shooting feels so crappy in that engine. Even better writing / quest design in New Vegas can't save it from the bad gameplay that plagues them both.

I can't really even blame Bethesda much for giving them a lovely engine because Obsidian games all have great writing and quest design but some really poo poo gameplay (especially on launch when unpatched). Examples: Alpha Protocol, Pillars and Tyranny.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
"great writing and quest design" and "pillars of eternity" do not belong in the same sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

All right guy who liked FO3, thanks for your input.

• Locked thread