Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

TOXICRENE COMPLETE!

I got yer Howling Griffon right here :clint:

Rear shot

Close-up!

This looks amazing. I love how sharp and clean the colors are. It looks like a cartoon, and I mean that in the best way possible.

evilmiera posted:

So what is up and coming in 40K after release and the new starter pack? Any kind of timeline going on or particularly probable rumors?

There will be a Primaris codex that will include among other things, rules for a Primaris Librarian, a non-Gravis Captain, Reiver Scouts, the Repulsor Tank, and a flyer that's described in the new book as "like the Deathwatch Corvus Blackstar, only bigger." We'll also get a Death Guard codex that will have rules (and releases) for Mortarion, Death Guard terminators, and a new Nurgle beast that looks like a slug with lots of legs. After that, no one knows.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Does the new book have any more details? Like what color is associated with the 11th company or how the squads are organized?

Pretty lame for GW to give instructions on how to paint these dudes to be in 2nd company (its even on the banner of the ancient) if they already have plans to make them their own company, or maybe they are just planning on big sizing everything in a year and don't want to have to change their artwork?

It says they don't have company color markings when they arrive on scene. My guess is that they'll eventually get added into companies as marines die and get replaced (the book even has a primaris captain wonder what older marines think about their days being numbered, and wondering if they're bitter about it). I'm p much done with it, so if you want it, PM me your address and I can mail it to you. It's OK. Not amazing, but it's not bad and it has its moments. It's not overly heavy on battles--which I tend to not give a poo poo about in most of the books--but the ones it does have are just primaris dudes curbstomping everyone they come across (though I haven't read the last few chapters. I assume at least one of them will die on-page at some point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like your post has, like, at least 5 parts I could quote while angrily waving around GW's "marines won't be replaced by Primaris" talk.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

I feel like your post has, like, at least 5 parts I could quote while angrily waving around GW's "marines won't be replaced by Primaris" talk.

Even the most ardent of fanboys are willing to admit that long term Primaris marines will be phasing out the smallmarines. I'm sure our current stuff will still be valid for quite a while but the chances of seeing any new releases are vanishingly small.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

:madmax::respek::madmax::respek::madmax::respek::madmax::respek::madmax:
[/quote]

This is the sickest poo poo ever

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Primaris Chaplain. Made from the Primaris Ancient from Dark Imperium and the Deathwatch Chaplain.

Should Pad and Head both fit really well. Rozarius Arcanum also fit on pretty great.

The power-pack is slightly smaller than the Primaris Packs, but because of all the extra poo poo on this on you really can't tell.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Pendent posted:

Huh, that actually looks a lot like the scheme I'm using for my Blood Angels. I definitely like the finished product.

It's pretty much the same as the Blood Drinkers chapter, which is a BA successor.

Whoa that Chaplain kitbash is amazing.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I wouldn't expect any new releases of Regular Marines simply because they already have good recent kits for their whole range already, and don't have any gaps to fill for new releases.

The thing that kind of sucks about Primaris is that, by fluff, they all have the exact same armor, so you don't get the cool thing regular marines have of mix/matching different marks of armor to customize your dude, you've just got a bunch of identical clonetroopers, and they remind me a little bit of sigmarines in that regard.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Texmo posted:

I wouldn't expect any new releases of Regular Marines simply because they already have good recent kits for their whole range already, and don't have any gaps to fill for new releases.

The thing that kind of sucks about Primaris is that, by fluff, they all have the exact same armor, so you don't get the cool thing regular marines have of mix/matching different marks of armor to customize your dude, you've just got a bunch of identical clonetroopers, and they remind me a little bit of sigmarines in that regard.

Until they just add more fluff for new armor?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

It says they don't have company color markings when they arrive on scene. My guess is that they'll eventually get added into companies as marines die and get replaced (the book even has a primaris captain wonder what older marines think about their days being numbered, and wondering if they're bitter about it). I'm p much done with it, so if you want it, PM me your address and I can mail it to you. It's OK. Not amazing, but it's not bad and it has its moments. It's not overly heavy on battles--which I tend to not give a poo poo about in most of the books--but the ones it does have are just primaris dudes curbstomping everyone they come across (though I haven't read the last few chapters. I assume at least one of them will die on-page at some point).

Thanks for the offer but I don't really care for the Black Library stuff. I read the first parts HH and liked some of it, couldnt make it through the Alpha legion book though. Tried some other stuff and it all just felt very meh to me. Its mostly me, I have a weird strong preferance for fantasy in books but sci fi for models.

Hopefully the codex will come out in July and answer all my questions regarding squad/company markings for primaris, I should be done painting them by that point.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's no way GW isn't aware how much we all like to customize our models with different armor. I have no doubt that as more primaris stuff is released we'll have ways to make things our own.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

Yeah, there's no way GW isn't aware how much we all like to customize our models with different armor. I have no doubt that as more primaris stuff is released we'll have ways to make things our own.

Of course they're aware. Games Workshop is a modeling company, not a games company.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

If anyone cares, here's how my games went:

Mission Three - Drydock
Scavengers vs. Chaos Marines (Tzeentch)
Deployment was initially massively in my opponent's favor. Three of the loot counters were on the upper level and he had chosen that side as his deployment zone. So not only did I have to race up there to get loot, I also had an uphill battle the whole way and the slick ground subplot to really limit my movement. Credit to him, he was willing to change his choice to one of the side edges so that we both had models on the upper and lower levels.

This was easily my longest game. It was a lot of fun and was pretty back and forth. The slick ground claimed a few cultists and I took things slow. My plasma gunner ran out of ammo on the first turn again despite the re-roll from the tech-priest. My highlight of the game was when my melta gunner burned the gently caress out of a chaos marine at point blank range. At the end of the game, the chaos marines were pinned all over the board, but had 3/4 of the loot counters. They opted to bottle. Technically a win for me, but I rolled a one for my clues and received two total vs. his four.

One of my guardsmen suffered a head wound after being taken out by a flamer. It was, of course, the guy with the facial scars. He gained frenzy and had to miss my next game. I had no other injuries.

The first accusations started to fly after this round. Every single one of them was wrong and three or four kill teams were cast out and hunted, including my next opponent, another Grey Knights kill team.

welp, surprise goon warham matchup :hfive: That was a good game. I should have taken a few pictures of it. I beat up on the Sisters player right after you did, before our game, and your report explains why he was so depleted already.

That was my first time playing at that LGS. It was pretty fun but playing on those crazy tables wasn't as fun as looking at them. It was really easy to get put in a really bad spot, and all the structures didn't accommodate Rubric marine and tzaangor-cultists well. The space station in particular seemed awful for anything bigger than tactical marines on a 25mm bases.

We should play a regular sized game of 40k some time

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
GW have repeatedly stated they are phasing out armor marks

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Texmo posted:

The armor is stated to be very customizable.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MonsterEnvy posted:

With the Intercessors, Reivers and Inceptors, we've already seen that Mk.X armour's whole deal is being modular.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah, it reads in the book that MK X armor is actually a family of variants, not one specific suit; Gravis, Reiver, Tacticus (the Intercessor armor) are simply the ones they've already named. We've still got that Gravis unit with the rocket pods and flame-gauntlets to be announced, too.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

It doesn't seem, at this point at least, that you're gonna get kits with a mix of the equivalent to Maximus/Corvus/Aquila/Errant legs, torsos, pauldrons, helmets, and backpacks like you do in current Tactical squad boxes though. If they were, I'd think the starter set marines wouldn't be practically identical.
I'll be happy to be wrong about this, but it seems like Mk. X is going to have squad-specific configurations, like how Reivers just have a few plates taken off of regular Tacticus armor.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

Yeah, maybe? I mean, they aren't replacing them in the sense that you can still use your old marines just fine, and they have several advantages over the less tactically flexible big guys (they make a comment about this in the book, where one of the primaris dudes wishes his squad had tactical squad weapon loadouts for more flexibility). I was also surprised to see them sow some initial seeds of discord between the groups, with both Primaris marines being upset about being assigned to second founding chapters instead of their original chapters (all of them were recruits from those chapters before Guilliman was killed, so they remember the original legions and their homeworlds and the customs of those planets and legions), and older marines like Calgar feeling put out by the way things have changed (though I doubt Calgar is gonna rebel or anything). Between that and Cawl making primaris marines out of chaos legion geneseed, there's lots of *potential* for both older marines to splinter off as their own force and primaris marines to defect.

Whether they do anything interesting what what they're building is anyone's guess, though.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TheChirurgeon posted:

(they make a comment about this in the book, where one of the primaris dudes wishes his squad had tactical squad weapon loadouts for more flexibility).

This doesn't even make sense to me. Is the master of the chapter's armory standing in front of the door swatting any primaris marines that come near with a rolled up newspaper?

On the tabletop is one thing, but it's not like his suit is incapable of interfacing with a flamer. If some Guardman hillbilly can figure out how to work a melta so can they.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Who wants to take a wild guess as to what the first full codex is going to be

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Who wants to take a wild guess as to what the first full codex is going to be

You're talking about Warhammer 40 8th edition: Age of Guilliman. Does anyone doubt that it will be Space Marines?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I guess the only question is whether it's Space Marines in general, or a full codex of specific Primaris stuff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Primaris Chaplain. Made from the Primaris Ancient from Dark Imperium and the Deathwatch Chaplain.

Should Pad and Head both fit really well. Rozarius Arcanum also fit on pretty great.

The power-pack is slightly smaller than the Primaris Packs, but because of all the extra poo poo on this on you really can't tell.

Nice ham, dude.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JoshTheStampede posted:

I guess the only question is whether it's Space Marines in general, or a full codex of specific Primaris stuff.

I mean, if it's primaris plus chapter tactics and artifacts for everyone then that would be fine, doesn't have to have any new smallmarine units.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

This doesn't even make sense to me. Is the master of the chapter's armory standing in front of the door swatting any primaris marines that come near with a rolled up newspaper?

On the tabletop is one thing, but it's not like his suit is incapable of interfacing with a flamer. If some Guardman hillbilly can figure out how to work a melta so can they.

They don't get to pick the weapons they're armed with going in. They're issued weapons based on their role (e.g. intercessor, hellblaster, etc) and currently it doesn't look like their armaments get heavier than the new plasma rifles.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TheChirurgeon posted:

They don't get to pick the weapons they're armed with going in. They're issued weapons based on their role (e.g. intercessor, hellblaster, etc) and currently it doesn't look like their armaments get heavier than the new plasma rifles.

So the armory quartermaster is sitting outside the door with his newspaper in hand, then.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Lychguard - Scythes or Sword and Board?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TKIY posted:

Scythes if you're going to invest in a transport for them, Sword/Board if not.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TKIY posted:

Take this with a grain of salt, since I haven't played lychguard but I know people who use similar units. A friend of mine is really into Custodians and these guys are pretty similar.

I would go with sword and board, unless you plan to have them use their bodyguard ability a lot. Since taking hits as mortal wounds ignores the shield you may as well not have the shield.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

If you think GW isn't going to phase out your small marines; you're gonna have a bad time

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

As a Death Guard player, you should search your heart to find the answer.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

So the armory quartermaster is sitting outside the door with his newspaper in hand, then.

Are you guys under the impression that in real militaries people get to choose what weapons they are assigned prior to going into a battle or something?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TheChirurgeon posted:

Are you guys under the impression that in real militaries people get to choose what weapons they are assigned prior to going into a battle or something?

No, I'm under the impression that militaries use the right equipment for the job. Not take a bunch of assholes with bolt rifles and throw them at a tank and go "Sorry son, none of you are cleared to use meltas, good luck"

Space marines are supposed to be tactical experts and should be bringing the equipment they need. They should have an idea of what they're going to be facing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Of course not, there's a draft system, right?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I believe the biglys are the future.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I just half find it silly that their new and improved super-elite troops aren't trusted with even a shred of tactical flexibility in-setting, and half really like the mental image of a Primaris cowering from a pissed-off Chaplain with a newspaper after failing to sneak some extra bolt shells out of the armory.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

JoshTheStampede posted:

As long as I don't have to deal with another edition of Dark Angels coming out first, and being used as a trial run that turns into Codex: lovely Marines as soon the mainline codex drops, I'm fine with whatever.

It'll probably be Ultras and Big Bois though - even with the new stuff we've seen pictures of, I don't think there's enough to really justify a full Coex: Biglys, even in GW's wildest fever dreams.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

ANAmal.net posted:

As long as I don't have to deal with another edition of Dark Angels coming out first, and being used as a trial run that turns into Codex: lovely Marines as soon the mainline codex drops, I'm fine with whatever.

It'll probably be Ultras and Big Bois though - even with the new stuff we've seen pictures of, I don't think there's enough to really justify a full Coex: Biglys, even in GW's wildest fever dreams.

I doubt Ultras, as the most marine marines, would ever be their own independent codex. We'll probably get the non-angel/wolf marines first for the codex treatment, and 75% of the pages will be blue.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Bee posted:

I just half find it silly that their new and improved super-elite troops aren't trusted with even a shred of tactical flexibility in-setting, and half really like the mental image of a Primaris cowering from a pissed-off Chaplain with a newspaper after failing to sneak some extra bolt shells out of the armory.

As long as there's a Sgt. Bilko the Primaris can sneak over to to get black market goods from. All the while the Chaplain is constantly trying to find why the motor pool is constantly requisitioning new turrets for the companies razorbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Does anyone have any advice for getting the SnapMaster™ flying stems which the Inceptors use to glue in place properly? Preferably one which doesn't involve sticking it to the jetpack first because, while that does sound a lot smarter, i've already painted and glued the bumblemen, and now it's just the Eternal Struggle of trying to get them to stay put while drying.