Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
please don't use vlc as a media player to watch movies if you are even vaguely technically literate and capable of installing ffdshow and media player classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

nigga crab pollock posted:

please don't use vlc as a media player to watch movies if you are even vaguely technically literate and capable of installing ffdshow and media player classic

they don't wear a christmas hat during the holidays so sorry, aint changin'

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
those yospos guys don't like vlc so I use it whenever mplayer doesn't work, for them

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i use Realplayer 8 for all of my media needs

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

what's wrong with VLC

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rutibex posted:

i use Realplayer 8 for all of my media needs

DivX player all day!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
When VLC came out, I was on dial up. Also I doubt it resembled what it is now.

Vegetable posted:

what's wrong with VLC

It plays anything without having to gently caress around with it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Will VLC work on my Zune or iRiver????

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I have never had one issue with VLC and it plays every type of video file, I haven't had to gently caress with codecs since Elder Scrolls Oblivion came out.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
If anyone talks poo poo on vlc I'll rip their loving lungs out.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Vaguely technically literate people set up all kinds of bullshit while people who do tech poo poo for a living hate stuff that doesn't just work out of the fuckin box

hth

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
vlc uses the wrong kind of ram

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
i play all my movies in Irfanview

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
You guys aren't using Apple Quicktime? WTF

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

You don't store all your videos in .bik format????????

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The only thing that sucks about VLC is that it can require some loving around to get non-English subtitles working.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

The only thing that sucks about VLC is that it can require some loving around to get non-English subtitles working.

Honestly though if you still use a standalone media player these days for video instead of having a server set up so you can just use Plex or some poo poo like that you're doing it wrong

Keeping in mind the original thing that started this was the suggestion that using physical media was the only realistic option for media consumption in 2001.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Curious what mpc does that vlc doesnt

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

steinrokkan posted:

vlc uses the wrong kind of ram

I just broke my favorite mug and blame you.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Maya Fey posted:

Curious what mpc does that vlc doesnt

Allows the user to be all smug about how they don't use lovely conformist VLC player.

e: tbf, I use mpc but it's because they had hilarious anime cccp backgrounds that came with it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Honestly though if you still use a standalone media player these days for video instead of having a server set up so you can just use Plex or some poo poo like that you're doing it wrong

Keeping in mind the original thing that started this was the suggestion that using physical media was the only realistic option for media consumption in 2001.

I have been hearing about Plex and like "media servers" and all this nonsense for what feels like 10 years and somehow I've had all of my entertainment on every device on demand for at least 5 of those 10 without knowing poo poo about it.

Is plex some elaborate torrent-movie-hoarder digital zen garden? Not that I am begrudging nerdy digital zen gardens, as I have my own versions.

Content: I got Shadow of Mordor from the steam sale and it's awful. I didn't know it was literally a reskinned Mad Max which was a reskinned Batman and that it was just another garbage WB Games beater. Press Y to counter and then some combo of memorized buttons for a cool trick has never once been engaging gameplay because it's somehow taken the Quick Time Event and made an entire game of it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I really hate how indie games have taken over steam. The steam store is pure poo poo for me. I have to spend a lot of time evaluating games on my queue to get better recommendations, but it feels like wading through a swamp of crap.

Indie, early access, multiplayer horror based game with a female protagonist.... gahhh, gently caress you

There's some great indie games, like INSIDE, but mostly it looks like crap.

I think not having EA really hurts Steam.

In short: Steam isn't cool to me anymore, and I've thought it was amazing and good since 2004 or whenever the HL2 launched

Edit: I guess I like AAA games more than indies, which is a popular opinion. But in truth I loved "B+" games, yknow?

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 27, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I really hate how indie games have taken over steam. The steam store is pure poo poo for me. I have to spend a lot of time evaluating games on my queue to get better recommendations, but it feels like wading through a swamp of crap.

Indie, early access, multiplayer horror based game with a female protagonist.... gahhh, gently caress you

In short: Steam isn't cool to me anymore, and I've thought it was amazing and good since 2004 or whenever the HL2 launched

Edit: I guess I like AAA games more than indies, which is a popular opinion. But in truth I loved "B+" games, yknow?

steam is rubbish. any game worth playing is be had from Good Old Games

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

steam is rubbish. any game worth playing is be had from Good Old Games

Still playing the homm3 campaign in gloriously-okay HD! Almost to the necromancer questline.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah there is so much absolute trash branded as "indie" since people figured out they could monetize what years ago probably would have been on Newgrounds. There are diamonds in the rough for sure (crazy surprised and happy with The Last Station) but the steam store is just drivel.

There are games like Banished that are "indie" by all accounts but I refuse to give them that tag since it isn't a "pixel-art-rogue-metroidvania-puzzle-platformer."

Also don't think I've forgotten dogshit like the early access DayZ-alikes, but at least a few of those try new things and aren't 1 man low effort clones of SNES games.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I have been hearing about Plex and like "media servers" and all this nonsense for what feels like 10 years and somehow I've had all of my entertainment on every device on demand for at least 5 of those 10 without knowing poo poo about it.

Is plex some elaborate torrent-movie-hoarder digital zen garden?

Plex and other media server software is different than using say a network shared folder in that it is capable of sorting things for you (in terms of interface, but it still uses a regular directory structure at the back end), grabbing and applying metadata automatically, and having user accounts. The accounts feature allows you to do things like share a media library with someone so they can stream your media at their location in a way that is easy to set up and use. It also lets you track which episodes or movies or whatever​ you've already been through so you don't have to remember.

The servers are capable of transcoding as well, so you can stream different bit rates instead of only being able to stream the original, eliminating the need for a codec collection at the receiving end. You can also use it in conjunction with shady usenet poo poo for more functionality. Basically it makes it so the only thing you have to do is set it up once, which is simple, and supply it with media. The maintenance is super low and there is very little you have to gently caress with.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Plex and other media server software is different than using say a network shared folder in that it is capable of sorting things for you (in terms of interface, but it still uses a regular directory structure at the back end), grabbing and applying metadata automatically, and having user accounts. The accounts feature allows you to do things like share a media library with someone so they can stream your media at their location in a way that is easy to set up and use. It also lets you track which episodes or movies or whatever​ you've already been through so you don't have to remember.

The servers are capable of transcoding as well, so you can stream different bit rates instead of only being able to stream the original, eliminating the need for a codec collection at the receiving end. You can also use it in conjunction with shady usenet poo poo for more functionality. Basically it makes it so the only thing you have to do is set it up once, which is simple, and supply it with media. The maintenance is super low and there is very little you have to gently caress with.

So a digital zen garden for movie and tv pirates.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I am the opposite. While I never play any of the shovelware and rely exclusively on word of mouth, there tends to be people gushing over any given AAA game, even if it's crap. Whereas people are more honest about games they paid $5 or even $15 for. I play games for pretty different reasons than other people though, and that certainly colors my approach. Most AAA games let you win no matter what you do, just keep on pushing the stick forward until you get to the end. That's never gonna satisfy me.

I don't really care to go to the storefront and browse. You're probably right that it's worse signal-to-noise these days, but in general, I try to avoid looking at advertisements anyway so that's good, imo.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I try to avoid looking at advertisements anyway so that's good, imo.

loving hippie

I sort of agree though, which is why I say I liked those "B+" games. The middles of the road, those small teams within a big corp that dare to try something different but still have an "ok" budget, not the pauper indies that do an 8bit game over a year.

Games like Mirrors Edge or Remember Me, Vampire:The Masquerade, feels like these games are mostly gone today.

It's either FUCKALL 200 MILLION DOLLAR PROJECT or "coding this while living in my car".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

loving hippie

I sort of agree though, which is why I say I liked those "B+" games. The middles of the road, those small teams within a big corp that dare to try something different but still have an "ok" budget, not the pauper indies that do an 8bit game over a year.

Games like Mirrors Edge or Remember Me, Vampire:The Masquerade, feels like these games are mostly gone today.

It's either FUCKALL 200 MILLION DOLLAR PROJECT or "coding this while living in my car".
Yeah it does feel like there used to be more of these - things like phantom dust and katamari damacy in the PS2 era.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lol, I remember playing Remember Me when it was new, man that game was some loving trash.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

Lol, I remember playing Remember Me when it was new, man that game was some loving trash.

I feel you. I wanted to like this so bad.

I remember preordering Brink and thinking it would be the best new game ever, on a similar note. L

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I feel you. I wanted to like this so bad.

I remember preordering Brink and thinking it would be the best new game ever, on a similar note. L

I got a PS3 and three games on the same day PSN got hacked and went down for over a week. I was so pissed that I couldn't play anything online that I traded them back in and got loving BRINK for my PC

:smith:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

a bone to pick posted:

update your pressens, friend

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I never beat Mirror's Edge either, got bored of that real quick.

When I think of the last good B games I'm thinking of the Darksiders series, Red Faction series, and Two Worlds 2.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Indie, early access, multiplayer, horror game is fine with me but I draw the line at female protagonist

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I play games for pretty different reasons than other people...

Lol, sort your loving life out.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

loving hippie

the middle fell out at the beginning of the PS3/360/Wii generation and it isn't coming back, sadly. all those developers have either gone bankrupt or got bought out

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Hot take: There will never be a better sandbox/open world game than the original Mercenaries (for PS2 and Xbox). It may be nostalgia but literally everything about that game loving owned, and the little touches (like each character speaks a second language that one of the factions speaks, and you can understand the subtitles in those situations) owns owns owns. If it got a PC remaster (or a spiritual successor) I would even be willing to donate to it on Kickstarter (a thing I have never done).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Indie games are cool, and electronic arts makes nothing worthwhile anymore, so there's nothing to mourn about them not being on Steam, except for the loss of their back catalog from all the companies like Westwood they bought and cannibalized.

Steam needs to put developers on the hook for the things they sell on there. Early access games should require a certain percentage of early sales be held in escrow or something, in the event the game becomes a pump and dump scam, people who would otherwise be outside the refund window can recover their money.

And there should be punitive action to take against the shovelware developers who do nothing but pump out poo poo. I was drunk one night and bought StarForge before Steam had a refund process and I wish every day I could find that developer and gently caress him up for having the nerve to sell that piece of poo poo.