Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

This current meta is so lame.

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I've had more success on ladder with NR than monsters or SK but a lot of that may be surprise factor; or maybe they just suit my playstyle more. Climbed from 2300 to 2600 really easily. Not too impressive I know but I was struggling with monsters and SK.

Running this one:
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/22969-top-14-4k-mmr-weather-witchers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjVnxCHCgNc

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 27, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Osmosisch posted:

I've had more success on ladder with NR than monsters or SK but a lot of that may be surprise factor; or maybe they just suit my playstyle more. Climbed from 2300 to 2600 really easily. Not too impressive I know but I was struggling with monsters and SK.

Running this one:
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/22969-top-14-4k-mmr-weather-witchers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjVnxCHCgNc

What's the point of Roach over Nenneke in there? The Witcher -> Nenneke -> Witcher combo is super strong.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

What's the point of Roach over Nenneke in there? The Witcher -> Nenneke -> Witcher combo is super strong.

Deck thinning and burst strength, as far as I can tell. Often you won't be given the time to do the W->N->W thing. Also Roach is especially nice with Dandelion.

I'm not at the level where I'd feel confident explaining this kind of choices, but while playing the deck I noticed it was really nice to be able to just whip out those extra 5-8 points kind of on demand. The extreme amount of thinning in this deck also means you can just toss the witchers from your opening hands altogether leaving you with more gas in the first 2 rounds, which you want to drag out as much as possible.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Osmosisch posted:

Deck thinning and burst strength, as far as I can tell. Often you won't be given the time to do the W->N->W thing. Also Roach is especially nice with Dandelion.

I'm not at the level where I'd feel confident explaining this kind of choices, but while playing the deck I noticed it was really nice to be able to just whip out those extra 5-8 points kind of on demand. The extreme amount of thinning in this deck also means you can just toss the witchers from your opening hands altogether leaving you with more gas in the first 2 rounds, which you want to drag out as much as possible.

Okay, I see. I'm not good enough either to say that one is better than the other, my reasoning was just that especially with all the deck thinning you should be able to draw into a witcher in R3 fairly reliably. I don't know, I might run your version a little bit and see how it works out. What is your typical R3 finisher?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

botany posted:

Okay, I see. I'm not good enough either to say that one is better than the other, my reasoning was just that especially with all the deck thinning you should be able to draw into a witcher in R3 fairly reliably. I don't know, I might run your version a little bit and see how it works out. What is your typical R3 finisher?

Witchers are your round 3 finisher, typically worth 26-29 points which can pretty easily win you the round even if you start a card down.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

botany posted:

It's better to use Thaler and recruitment as a way to find your bronze control game, the ballistas and adepts, or to get good targets for scouts on board, than it is to hold on for Nenneke and Witchers. Which is what made that specific deck fall apart when it was popular early on. Witchers by themselves often couldn't win the R1/2 without serious help from dandelion or keira, or a lot of spell potions, and if you were holding on to your silver tutors for Nenneke/Witche, you could find yourself with a poor bronze game and NR bronzes fall apart if you can't get the synergies to snowball.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, thanks everyone!

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Currently watching a 37 card NR deck battle a Scoiatael player with Swallow Potion in his deck. Both players top 50 global.

I don't think this game is figured out quite yet :)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

botany posted:

Frost will probably be changed to damage highest & lowest unit on the row by one, to bring it back in line with Fog and Rain. I'd be okay with that.

Bears should really be 5 strength, Axemen become less of an issue if Frost is changed, Hjalmar should lose one or two points as well, the card is ridiculous with Skellige's easy access to damage. Alternatively the LoU could simply be buffed to 7 and Skellige would immediately be less dominant.

This is exactly what I also thought. Nerf frost slightly with highest & lowest, and you are nerfing slightly Axemen, too. Drop 1 point of Bears and they can be removed a bit more easily. Finally make Hjalmar more in line with other gold cards. That's it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

This is exactly what I also thought. Nerf frost slightly with highest & lowest, and you are nerfing slightly Axemen, too. Drop 1 point of Bears and they can be removed a bit more easily. Finally make Hjalmar more in line with other gold cards. That's it.

Change those stupid shieldmaidens too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Skellige Weather clowns on anything that uses the board so the other popular deck of course becomes Swarm Deck #311 (seriously how many have we had) which gets past this by cheesing the third round with the Witcher dum'dums which of course got new support in the last patch because I swear the developers suffer from short-term memory loss.

EDIT: Find me the developer who keeps insisting Northern Realms gimmick should be swarm and fire him.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 27, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Skellige Weather clowns on anything that uses the board so the other popular deck of course becomes Swarm Deck #311 (seriously how many have we had) which gets past this by cheesing the third round with the Witcher dum'dums which of course got new support in the last patch because I swear the developers suffer from short-term memory loss.

EDIT: Find me the developer who keeps insisting Northern Realms gimmick should be swarm and fire him.

The only time Witchers were played before was back in CB with Dorfs, and they weren't even the part that made that deck good. When that deck died they disappeared from play, until now. Witchers being played is usually a symptom of lack of good faction silvers, not that they are very good. The Lubberkin/Botchling pair would be a lot better if they were properly stated.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think the mulligan changes have a whole lot to do with the witchers being better now. Dandelion and Nenneke in the case of NR as well, obviously.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

I think the mulligan changes have a whole lot to do with the witchers being better now. Dandelion and Nenneke in the case of NR as well, obviously.

True. But look at what faction has been playing witchers since OB. It's been always NR. They don't have any legit good silvers outside of Recruitment. The other good silvers are the lock and spy, which everyone else has. Then Nenneke who is good because of witchers(but not the other way around). Stuff like Botchling/Lubberkin or Trollololo/Ves(and Ves could be played well in these kind of decks) can also work with Nenneke and Dandelion, though they are just worse options than the witchers.

Compare this to Monsters, where people can drop crones and still find good if not better silvers within the faction. NG and SK have great silver picks and will likely never play Witchers, while ST also has plenty of good silvers even if more dependent on build.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Oh god I'm dying send help.

First round a foltest witcher deck fellow plays his witcher combo. he loses the first round, but second round of course he nennekes, and I put down morenn.

So he decides to summon eskel right there! morenn flips over and he immediately forfeits.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Do they not get summoned if morenn kills the first one?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Yup. Of course, Morenn does 5 damage, so if he picked Vesemir it would be moot.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

True. But look at what faction has been playing witchers since OB. It's been always NR. They don't have any legit good silvers outside of Recruitment. The other good silvers are the lock and spy, which everyone else has. Then Nenneke who is good because of witchers(but not the other way around). Stuff like Botchling/Lubberkin or Trollololo/Ves(and Ves could be played well in these kind of decks) can also work with Nenneke and Dandelion, though they are just worse options than the witchers.

Compare this to Monsters, where people can drop crones and still find good if not better silvers within the faction. NG and SK have great silver picks and will likely never play Witchers, while ST also has plenty of good silvers even if more dependent on build.
I mean none of this is correct, sile is obviously a real card, as is Thaler, and Nenneke works outside of witchers, and as you stated reinforcement, and you can use cards like operator and adc and whatever.

These witcher builds started like... two weeks ago around when you declared NR dead.

Nenneke, Witchers, Keira?, Dandelion, Reinforce is probably too strong not to run at this point because of how games play out. But it doesn't indicate that NR silvers are weaker in general (though I'd like the useless crap revisited). It does indicate that NR cards in general are too low-variance imo. Peter is sometimes a 7 point silver, sometimes a 30 point silver. Is there any equivalent for NR? You can pretty easily math out the expected value of each one.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 27, 2017

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I wonder if they have any plans for Renew. I've heard a couple people claim it's way too good for a neutral gold and I'm inclined to agree, no idea how they could modify it though?

Letho making a second enemy eating appearance or dropping Tibor in the 2nd and 3rd round has been hilarious so far. Borrowing my opponents Hjalmar works wonders too.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Up Circle posted:

Yup. Of course, Morenn does 5 damage, so if he picked Vesemir it would be moot.

Hah I never knew, that's pretty great. Now if only she did 6 damage so she could stop the crones.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Subvisual Haze posted:

I wonder if they have any plans for Renew. I've heard a couple people claim it's way too good for a neutral gold and I'm inclined to agree, no idea how they could modify it though?

Letho making a second enemy eating appearance or dropping Tibor in the 2nd and 3rd round has been hilarious so far. Borrowing my opponents Hjalmar works wonders too.

I think renew is probably unhealthy for the game because "a second copy of your best gold" or "steal their key gold before they can renew it themselves" is a generic (and boring) strategy that tends to centralize gold choices on "three best golds and renew", no matter what new cards come out. I would give it some extra downside to make renew less of a no brainer in deck building.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

I mean none of this is correct, sile is obviously a real card, as is Thaler, and Nenneke works outside of witchers, and as you stated reinforcement, and you can use cards like operator and adc and whatever.

These witcher builds started like... two weeks ago around when you declared NR dead.

I did mention Thaler(spy) and Margarita(which I think is an interesting card to think about compared to certain other silvers), though forgot about Dethmold as the mage. Sile is not being played at all, though I do like her, but Adept does her job better. I don't think Garrunah was even running her in his weird Baron Spell deck.

Nenneke herself is being dropped from most of these decks. The 37 cards one or the weather NR doesn't use her. And Smoonay's version of Swim's Witcher deck was much better because it didn't run her too. Though Nenneke is solid in general when paired with Witchers my point is: You can run Witchers without Nenneke, but not the other way around. Especially after the Reaver nerf. The 37 card deck doesn't run Nenneke, the posted weather NR also doesn't run her, and Smoonay's superior version of Swim's Witchers also didn't include her.

So to recap good NR silvers:
Reinforcement
Nenneke; though needs a deck to built around her unlike say Assire
And the Spy, Lock, and Mage which every faction has a variation of. Won't really debate if they are worse or better than the other factions, they good, but hardly unique cards for a faction.

So you have an auto-include Silver and one that you can build your deck around. This doesn't remotely compare to Nilfgaard, Skellige, or Monsters. Stuff like Ves, Trollolo, Botchling/Lubberkin could also be run with Dandelion, but they are quite weak compared to the Witchers. Botchling and Lubberkin are close though. Odrin is pretty fun and could find a home if there was a way to get him out more reliable than reinforcement or have in hand for the right round. Sile as mentioned is outclassed by a bronze card. Sabrina needs Punisher Radovid to be back. And the less said about Stennis the better.

As for being NR dead, I was wrong on that, and I'm glad I was. But it does not change my opinion that NR right now is a mess with a bunch of ideas that don't fully realize. Most good lists are cutting out machines entirely or just run the Reinforced Ballistas or the Ballista. Natalis and Stennis are just bad cards. Armour also pointless.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 27, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NR is good when you remove all the bits that can be interceded or interrupted. I'm telling you, it's literally gold Henselt all over again. Uninteractable swarm garbage where you either draw your answers or they win every time.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No Wave posted:

Peter is sometimes a 7 point silver, sometimes a 30 point silver. Is there any equivalent for NR? You can pretty easily math out the expected value of each one.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

It's remarkable how rarely my cow launchers actually manage to damage a unit with a non-minuscule amount of health. People will go to absolutely amazing lengths to destroy/lock/decoy/maneuver around those things though to protect a 3-5 health unit.

drat if I don't feel clever dropping a cow carcass on my second to last turn on the Witcher or Crone rows before they appear though.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

her animated portrait is kind of depressing im glad i dont see her often

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Pls CDPR alternate card arts for mages where they're not chained up or being tortured or burned alive.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
all my mage friends are melting around me while i am calm as a horse on a thatched hut roof

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

mages are degenerates getting what they deserve

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

i like vanhemar the fire wizard using ice spells its some cool poo poo

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Man it's a good thing they nerfed the Calveit opener in every aspect and added a counter-intuitive card draw order just to make sure people weren't getting too big of an opening swing from those 2 value golems [King Bran appears and deposits 19 points on the table]

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The difference is that those golems come out in addition to Calveit's ability.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Subvisual Haze posted:

Man it's a good thing they nerfed the Calveit opener in every aspect and added a counter-intuitive card draw order just to make sure people weren't getting too big of an opening swing from those 2 value golems [King Bran appears and deposits 19 points on the table]
Nilfgaard used to be able to double that. The highest total played against me turn 1 was 37.

Don't get me wrong I still think Bran's dumb and I miss Cahir brutally hosing him in CB.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dwarf man could do witchers + saskia + roach i guess

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Darke GBF posted:

I've been wondering if a higher minimum number of bronze cards per deck might be a good change for the game.

It would be interesting. In that same line of thought (bigger decks), NR's "put in all the bronze cards" and ST mulligan decks are like two halves of what wants to be the same deck: something that gets a shitload of actual value off mulligan by being able to replace dead cards in hand. Like if NR had all the ST mulligan cards, they'd be running those in blue stripes/cavalry/infantrymen decks in a heart beat. Vice versa for ST if they actually had a reason to up the number of cards in their deck and increase the value they get from having a mulligan.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
im amazed that st players are too loving stupid to use elf mercenaries for just that reason

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

Dwarf man could do witchers + saskia + roach i guess

Roach is no longer that kind of girl that just comes out for anybody. Only from the hand now.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Woof I feel like the community suddenly switched from Skellige to monster decks en masse in the last 2 days. NG at least had the medic advantage to help with Skellige, but a well played monster deck seems to wreck my NG every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Is there any way to make botchling/lubberkin viable? The card description makes it sound like you should be cloning them somehow but you can't do that due to them being silver. Are they just a 5/10 strength morkvarg that can only come back once?