Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's a bad idea for LGBT organizers to ban Zionism from events, since Zionism is a broader idea than just Israel. It would be better if they banned pro-Israel viewpoints. In fact, banning Zionism is essentially stating that the only solution to the Jewish Question is assimilation, i.e. the erasure of Jewish identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Disinterested posted:

Then I'm afraid Israel and Zionism are here to stay as a part of the conversation.

Until/unless the status quo changes drastically for the better, the debate isn't going anywhere, either.

Dyke March statement:

https://chicagodykemarchcollective.org/2017/06/27/chicago-dyke-march-official-statement-on-2017-march-and-solidarity-with-palestine/

quote:

On June 24th, 2017, a small group of individuals were asked to leave Chicago Dyke March for expressing Zionist views that go directly against the march’s anti-racist core values. In the days following, articles have appeared in a number of major news outlets that put forward false reports based on testimony that is purposefully misleading. We wish to clarify the circumstances under which organizers and community members alike asked the group to leave.

The group in question was heard disrupting chants, replacing the word “Palestine” with “everywhere,” saying: “From everywhere to Mexico, border walls have got to go.” One of the individuals, Laurel Grauer, is the Regional Director of A Wider Bridge, an organization with ties to the Israeli government that was protested for pinkwashing at the Creating Change Conference in Chicago in 2016. It was later revealed that Laurel was aware of Dyke March’s anti-Zionist position from pro-Palestine memes and art that were posted on the Dyke March page, and was also aware of the fact that her flag could be interpreted as being at odds with that position. The night before, she contacted an organizer to ask if her flag would “be protested.” The organizer told her the flag was welcome, but reminded her that the space is one that supports Palestinian rights.

Upon arrival at the rally location in Piotrowski Park, Palestinian marchers approached those carrying the flags to learn more about their intentions, due to its similarity to the Israeli flag and the flag’s long history of use in Pinkwashing efforts. During the conversation, the individuals asserted their Zionist stance and support for Israel. At this point, Jewish allies and Dyke March organizers stepped in to help explain why Zionism was unacceptable at the march. There was an earnest attempt at engagement with these marchers, and the decision to ask them to leave was not made abruptly nor arbitrarily. Throughout a two-hour conversation, the individuals were told that the march was explicitly anti-Zionist, and that if they were not okay with that, they should leave.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

qkkl posted:

It's a bad idea for LGBT organizers to ban Zionism from events, since Zionism is a broader idea than just Israel. It would be better if they banned pro-Israel viewpoints. In fact, banning Zionism is essentially stating that the only solution to the Jewish Question is assimilation, i.e. the erasure of Jewish identity.

What the hell are you talking about? Zionism is and always has been explicitly a movement based around the establishment and development of a Jewish majority/dominated state, traditionally in Palestine. The only 'non-Israel' versions of Zionism are ones that propos[ed] making said state somewhere other than Palestine like the Uganda Plan. If you see that definition and go "yeah, that is what I think!" you are a Zionist. This isn't that hard people... it is is a political term that has had this pretty clear definition since its inception.

And, by the way, not having your own ethnically/religiously dominated state doesn't mean you are forced to either assimilate or cease to be Jewish.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorgo Primus posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Zionism is and always has been explicitly a movement based around the establishment and development of a Jewish majority/dominated state, traditionally in Palestine. The only 'non-Israel' versions of Zionism are ones that propos[ed] making said state somewhere other than Palestine like the Uganda Plan. If you see that definition and go "yeah, that is what I think!" you are a Zionist. This isn't that hard people... it is is a political term that has had this pretty clear definition since its inception.

And, by the way, not having your own ethnically/religiously dominated state doesn't mean you are forced to either assimilate or cease to be Jewish.

On the other hand, banning people who believe in a two-state solution from Pride is absolutely inane too.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gorgo Primus posted:

The question is how to remain Jewish in a non-Jewish state and not be stigmatized.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

That question doesn't have to do with my post, outside of Zionism being an answer some people came up with to said question. My answer is that that isn't a useful question pertinent to an actual problem where I live (Canada) because as a ethnic Jew who was raised to be religious I have never faced stigmatization solely for being Jewish, and neither have my parents or siblings, or any of our Jewish friends. Actually, I can't think of anyone I know who is Jewish and has faced 'stigmatization' for being Jewish. And, ethnically cleansing and grossly abusing most of the natives in a region to set up a Jewish majority/dominated state should never be an acceptable answer to that question even if I thought it were pertinent to me.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 27, 2017

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
On the other hand an end to the state of Israel probably would be disastrous - as well as potentially troubling I'm other ways, since the rate of Jewish migration to Israel as a result of rising antisemitism is only increasing.

In any event, lots of states are founded as an injustice and perhaps as mistakes, but that doesn't give people a right to demand they cease to exist as a result, for moral as well as practical reasons.

It's my feeling that criticism of Israel will have to focus itself on its policy rather than that it's mere idea. I think this also involves the state of Israel having to become a bit more invested in thinking long and hard about how it's conduct relates to antisemitism - rather than merely condemning that relationship whenever it's drawn - if only for strategic purposes.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Canada would actually be a great place for a Jewish state. Lots of land that is fertile and a low population density so carving out a small chunk wouldn't cause a massive humanitarian crisis. My guess as to why some Jews don't understand the appeal of Zionism is their families emigrated out of Europe in the early 19th century and prior.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Disinterested posted:

It's my feeling that criticism of Israel will have to focus itself on its policy rather than that it's mere idea. I think this also involves the state of Israel having to become a bit more invested in thinking long and hard about how it's conduct relates to antisemitism - rather than merely condemning that relationship whenever it's drawn - if only for strategic purposes.

Well, barring any drastic change in the status quo for the better, faith overseas in the viability of the two-state solution is only going to continue to diminish, so I have little doubt that liberal Zionism will continue to decline in relevance and that you'll see the exact opposite of those two trends for the foreseeable future.

I'm also not sure how non-/anti-Zionist criticism of Israel and criticism of Israeli policy are mutually exclusive.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 27, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I don't think I would ever be able to make peace with kicking someone out of something for having a Star of David. I just don't think it could ever sit right with me.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

Disinterested posted:

On the other hand an end to the state of Israel probably would be disastrous - as well as potentially troubling I'm other ways, since the rate of Jewish migration to Israel as a result of rising antisemitism is only increasing.

In any event, lots of states are founded as an injustice and perhaps as mistakes, but that doesn't give people a right to demand they cease to exist as a result, for moral as well as practical reasons.

1: I don't think the end of Israel wouldn't need to be disastrous for anyone except the bigots who want to keep it an Apartheid colonial state, who would see their loss of privilege as a disaster in itself.

2: I'm fairly sure the majority of Jews in the world do and will always continue to live outside of Israel and the immigration rates to Israel aren't actually increasing as much as you're implying. Feel free to prove otherwise cause I'd be interested to know by what degree.

3: So far as I can tell antisemitism isn't actually on the rise unless you count anti-zionism as antisemitism, and I'm fairly sure antisemitism in the middle east would be a lot harder to sustain at present levels if there weren't a state insisting that it that it speaks/acts for all Jews that maintained itself on the basis of apartheid, ethnic cleanings, and retinue mass murder that bigots could point at to try to convince others of their views.

4: I don't know of any state founded on or currently conducting these kinds of grave injustices who are ones currently in the process of carrying out those same injustices over and over again just to keep themselves 'pure' with the full unconditional support of the US and West.

5: Why is Israel the only state in the world with this magical 'right to exist'? Did Apartheid South Africa have a 'right to exist' as such? How come Palestine only has a 'right to exist' as a unsustainable Bantustan with no control over basic things like its airspace and borders? If Israel only counts as existing when it is an apartheid state, then why should it get to exist over a Jewish-Palestinian bi-national state with equal rights, privileges, and responsibilities for all that most people who demand a one state solution want?

6: The mere idea finds it expression in policy, always has and always will. So long as keeping the state majority Jewish and dominated at any cost is part of its mission statement in a sub-region where Jews are only a outright majority due to apartheid and ethnic cleansing - and on top of that also wants to expand even further into areas where Jews are still an outright minority - we're going to have a problem. The fact that it would be seen as a catastrophe for Arabs to get equal rights to Jews and potentially have an Arab party get a plurality in an election is a big loving problem for a state that wants to claim to be a democracy.

qkkl posted:

Canada would actually be a great place for a Jewish state. Lots of land that is fertile and a low population density so carving out a small chunk wouldn't cause a massive humanitarian crisis. My guess as to why some Jews don't understand the appeal of Zionism is their families emigrated out of Europe in the early 19th century and prior.

'Canada' was already taken before it was made into Canada, and it is currently inhabited by a great many people who would not like to be ethnically cleansed or forced to live as second class citizens (if they were lucky enough to be allowed to be a citizen) just for not being Jewish. Thanks.

Also, I get the appeal of Zionism - it is the same appeal that Afrikaners found in South Africa or colonists who came to found the USA felt. Stealing people's land to create a state where the natives are treated like dirt or worse, just so you can set up a state that is utterly dominated by people who look and sound just like you, is a bad thing to want though. Also, just so you know, both my sets of grandparents were in Europe until the mid-late 1940s and a great many of their family members and relatives were murdered in the Holocaust. The idea that any Jew who doesn't want to partake in Zionism is just sheltered or from a long line of sheltered Jews is a disgusting one that you should educate yourself out of holding.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 27, 2017

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gorgo Primus posted:

'Canada' was already taken before it was made into Canada, and it is currently inhabited by a great many people who would not like to be ethnically cleansed or forced to live as second class citizens (if they were lucky enough to be allowed to be a citizen) just for not being Jewish. Thanks.

Also, I get the appeal of Zionism - it is the same appeal that Afrikaners found in South Africa or colonists who came to found the USA felt. Stealing people's land to create a state where the natives are treated like dirt or worse, just so you can set up a state that is utterly dominated by people who look and sound just like you, is a bad thing to want though. Also, just so you know, both my sets of grandparents were in Europe until the mid-late 1940s and a great many of their family members and relatives were murdered in the Holocaust. The idea that any Jew who doesn't want to partake in Zionism is just sheltered or from a long line of sheltered Jews is a disgusting one that you should educate yourself out of holding.

It's similar to the "kill or be killed" issue. Either you go somewhere else and suppress the natives so you have your safe space, or stay and be suppressed.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The Times has an oped about this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/opinion/im-glad-the-dyke-march-banned-jewish-stars.html

quote:

“I wanted to be in public as a gay Jew of Persian and German heritage. Nothing more, nothing less. So I made a shirt that said ‘Proud Jewish Dyke’ and hoisted a big Jewish Pride flag — a rainbow flag with a Star of David in the center, the centuries-old symbol of the Jewish people,” she wrote. “During the picnic in the park, organizers in their official t-shirts began whispering and pointing at me and soon, a delegation came over, announcing they’d been sent by the organizers. They told me my choices were to roll up my Jewish Pride flag or leave. The Star of David makes it look too much like the Israeli flag, they said, and it triggers people and makes them feel unsafe. This was their complaint.”

She tried to explain that the star is the “ubiquitous symbol of Judaism,” and that she simply wanted “to be Jewish in public.” Then, she “tried using their language,” explaining “this is my intersection. I’m supposed to be able to celebrate it here.”

It didn’t work. Ms. Shoshany Anderson left sobbing. “I was thrown out of Dyke March for being Jewish,” she said. Just so.

For progressive American Jews, intersectionality forces a choice: Which side of your identity do you keep, and which side do you discard and revile? Do you side with the oppressed or with the oppressor?

That kind of choice would have been familiar to previous generations of left-wing Jews, particularly those in Europe, who felt the tug between their ethnic heritage and their “internationalist” ideological sympathies. But this is the United States. Here, progressives are supposed to be comfortable with the idea of hyphenated identities and overlapping ethnic, sexual and political affinities. Since when did a politics that celebrates choice — and choices — devolve into a requirement of being forced to choose?

Jews on the left, particularly in recent years, have attempted to square this growing discomfort by becoming more anti-Israel. But if history has taught the Jews anything it’s that this kind of contortion never ends well.

It may be wrong to read too much into an ugly incident at a single march, but Jews should take what happened in Chicago as a lesson that they might not be as welcome among progressives as they might imagine. That’s a warning for which to be grateful, even as it is a reminder that anti-Semitism remains as much a problem on the far-left as it is on the alt-right.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorgo Primus posted:

1: I don't think the end of Israel wouldn't need to be disastrous for anyone except the bigots who want to keep it an Apartheid colonial state, who would see their loss of privilege as a disaster in itself.

2: I'm fairly sure the majority of Jews in the world do and will always continue to live outside of Israel and the immigration rates to Israel aren't actually increasing as much as you're implying. Feel free to prove otherwise cause I'd be interested to know by what degree.

3: So far as I can tell antisemitism isn't actually on the rise unless you count anti-zionism as antisemitism, and I'm fairly sure antisemitism in the middle east would be a lot harder to sustain at present levels if there weren't a state insisting that it that it speaks/acts for all Jews that maintained itself on the basis of apartheid, ethnic cleanings, and retinue mass murder that bigots could point at to try to convince others of their views.

4: I don't know of any state founded on or currently conducting these kinds of grave injustices who are ones currently in the process of carrying out those same injustices over and over again just to keep themselves 'pure' with the full unconditional support of the US and West.

5: Why is Israel the only state in the world with this magical 'right to exist'? Did Apartheid South Africa have a 'right to exist' as such? How come Palestine only has a 'right to exist' as a unsustainable Bantustan with no control over basic things like its airspace and borders? If Israel only counts as existing when it is an apartheid state, then why should it get to exist over a Jewish-Palestinian bi-national state with equal rights, privileges, and responsibilities for all that most people who demand a one state solution want?

6: The mere idea finds it expression in policy, always has and always will. So long as keeping the state majority Jewish and dominated at any cost is part of its mission statement in a sub-region where Jews are only a outright majority due to apartheid and ethnic cleansing - and on top of that also wants to expand even further into areas where Jews are still an outright minority - we're going to have a problem. The fact that it would be seen as a catastrophe for Arabs to get equal rights to Jews and potentially have an Arab party get a plurality in an election is a big loving problem for a state that wants to claim to be a democracy.

Are you actually claiming that the rise of fascist organizations in Europe and the United States is a fairy tale? I mean, your post looks like a recitation of dogma without any critical thinking involved, but I could be wrong.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

qkkl posted:

It's similar to the "kill or be killed" issue. Either you go somewhere else and suppress the natives so you have your safe space, or stay and be suppressed.

Well I'm glad you're on record as being pro-ethnic cleansing/apartheid/genocide/whatever else so long as you feel suppressed then. :thumbsup:

Pachakuti posted:

Are you actually claiming that the rise of fascist organizations in Europe and the United States is a fairy tale? I mean, your post looks like a recitation of dogma without any critical thinking involved, but I could be wrong.

Are you trolling me right now? Seriously? Where did you get any single bit of that from my post? No, I don't think the increase in support for fascism in some places like Greece and Hungary is a fairy tale. Saying fascism is meaningfully on the rise in the US is a huge crazy stretch though. But in neither case would I say antisemitism is independently globally on the rise from where it was ten years ago in such a manner as to morally excuse support for Zionism. Fascism often tends to come with antisemitism, but even fascism is nowhere near to becoming a dominant political tendency in any country I'm aware of - even if they have disturbingly high levels of support in Greece with GD and several Eastern European countries have horrific some far-right governments right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't strawman me. And even if antisemitic ideas were starting to become acceptable and commonplace in every single country, it would still not excuse the desire to ethnically cleanse a people and set up an apartheid state - if anything it would be all the more reason to reject racism in all its forms and strive to support efforts in your and every other country to ensure nobody would to suffer through what you currently were. Leaving the country to hatred and ruin to go set up your own state where you target another people with the same bullshit alongside ethnic cleansing is never an acceptable option to me.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 28, 2017

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pachakuti posted:

I think the Jewish joke of "you don't want to cause any trouble" applies here.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gorgo Primus posted:

Well I'm glad you're on record as being pro-ethnic cleansing/apartheid/genocide/whatever else so long as you feel suppressed then. :thumbsup:

Are you trolling me right now? Seriously? Where did you get any single bit of that from my post? No, I don't think the increase in support for fascism in some places like Greece and Hungary is a fairy tale. Saying fascism is meaningfully on the rise in the US is a huge crazy stretch though. But in neither case would I say antisemitism is independently globally on the rise from where it was ten years ago in such a manner as to morally excuse support for Zionism. Fascism often tends to come with antisemitism, but even fascism is nowhere near to becoming a dominant political tendency in any country I'm aware of - even if they have disturbingly high levels of support in Greece with GD and several Eastern European countries have horrific some far-right governments right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't strawman me. And even if antisemitic ideas were starting to become acceptable and commonplace in every single country, it would still not excuse the desire to ethnically cleanse a people and set up an apartheid state - if anything it would be all the more reason to reject racism in all its forms and strive to support efforts in your and every other country to ensure nobody would to suffer through what you currently were. Leaving the country to hatred and ruin to go set up your own state where you target another people with the same bullshit alongside ethnic cleansing is never an acceptable option to me.

Did they used to expel Jews from gay pride events for having stars of david or is that a new thing?

If it's a new thing then isn't it evidence of anti semitism being 'on the rise' ?

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorgo Primus posted:

Okay, so what should be the punishment for Jewish people who decide that Israel is better than risking their life to Le Pen's goons? Because you are claiming that that decision is totally morally unacceptable, and that you are morally obligated not to leave the country of your birth if you face discrimination and violence. This extends far further than just this particular issue, but I won't belabor it because you almost certainly aren't capable of putting together the pieces necessary to go from "it is unacceptable to flee violence and the risk of violence" to "all refugees that haven't been expelled are morally abhorrent people" without a lot of classroom time.

Because the point here is that while Israel's actions are indefensible, the reasoning for its existence as a place of refuge suddenly becomes a lot more understandable in the light of the President of the United States of America employing neo-Nazis as some of his closest advisors, surges in hate crimes, etc. And in this context, demanding that Israel be annihilated and replaced with a state that doesn't offer any guarantee of protection for Jewish people suddenly becomes a lot more morally questionable. So you have a situation where anti-Zionism needs to be more rigorous, and also absolutist positions need to be examined to see if they'd lead you to morally abhorrent ends.

I mean, that's without the nonsense of saying Jewish people moving to Israel currently are setting up their own state. If we took that seriously, it'd be problematic in and of itself, but your brain is obviously running on autopilot so there's not much point in examining the ideology behind what you're saying.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It's not exactly possible to detach the whole "there needs to be a jewish state" argument from current context either as to what Israel is doing. The whole "maybe zionism good" would look a bit less trashy if it wasn't currently being a justification to keep 4 million people under permanent military supervision with barely any electricity or resources.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agnosticnixie posted:

It's not exactly possible to detach the whole "there needs to be a jewish state" argument from current context either as to what Israel is doing. The whole "maybe zionism good" would look a bit less trashy if it wasn't currently being a justification to keep 4 million people under permanent military supervision with barely any electricity.

The argument there is not "zionism good" and thinking that it is is very disturbing because it suggests you are unable to think about your beliefs.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I think people lose the plot with Israel when they try to abstract it as "a country" and "some people" and "some other people" and try to think about it like that. It's not just "a country" or "some people" its a specific thing and it cant comprehensibly be talked about without starting with the specifics of its history, with special focus on the european middle ages up to the holocaust.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 28, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Barry Convex posted:

Until/unless the status quo changes drastically for the better, the debate isn't going anywhere, either.

Dyke March statement:

https://chicagodykemarchcollective.org/2017/06/27/chicago-dyke-march-official-statement-on-2017-march-and-solidarity-with-palestine/

quote:

The night before, she contacted an organizer to ask if her flag would “be protested.” The organizer told her the flag was welcome, but reminded her that the space is one that supports Palestinian rights.

Upon arrival at the rally location in Piotrowski Park, Palestinian marchers approached those carrying the flags to learn more about their intentions, due to its similarity to the Israeli flag and the flag’s long history of use in Pinkwashing efforts.

:thunk:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

quote:

Upon arrival at the rally location in Piotrowski Park, Palestinian marchers approached those carrying the flags to learn more about their intentions, due to its similarity to the Israeli flag and the flag’s long history of use in Pinkwashing efforts. During the conversation, the individuals asserted their Zionist stance and support for Israel. At this point, Jewish allies and Dyke March organizers stepped in to help explain why Zionism was unacceptable at the march. There was an earnest attempt at engagement with these marchers, and the decision to ask them to leave was not made abruptly nor arbitrarily. Throughout a two-hour conversation, the individuals were told that the march was explicitly anti-Zionist, and that if they were not okay with that, they should leave.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anti-Zionism is equivalent to anti-Israel for a lot of people, which is probably the misunderstanding. I don't think anyone is actually anti-Zionist, considering that even Hitler thought it was a good idea to send the Jews to Madagascar.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yeah. A conversation that would not have happened had the people interrogating them not been antisemites. How many times must this be explained to you? This also doesn't explain the non-/anti-Zionists forced to leave for carrying similar "offensive" symbols.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

qkkl posted:

Anti-Zionism is equivalent to anti-Israel for a lot of people, which is probably the misunderstanding. I don't think anyone is actually anti-Zionist, considering that even Hitler thought it was a good idea to send the Jews to Madagascar.

Um... I am anti-Zionist, as are a lot of people I know and a number of posters in this thread last I checked. What are you even talking about? That some leading Nazis found Zionism appealing because they also claimed that Jews didn't belong in Germany and should all leave, is not proof that anti-Zionism doesn't exist. And, by the way, that Madagascar Plan was basically impossible to carry out and almost certainly would have ended in all the Jews there dying in a giant SS run death trap.

Pachakuti posted:

Okay, so what should be the punishment for Jewish people who decide that Israel is better than risking their life to Le Pen's goons? Because you are claiming that that decision is totally morally unacceptable, and that you are morally obligated not to leave the country of your birth if you face discrimination and violence. This extends far further than just this particular issue, but I won't belabor it because you almost certainly aren't capable of putting together the pieces necessary to go from "it is unacceptable to flee violence and the risk of violence" to "all refugees that haven't been expelled are morally abhorrent people" without a lot of classroom time.

Because the point here is that while Israel's actions are indefensible, the reasoning for its existence as a place of refuge suddenly becomes a lot more understandable in the light of the President of the United States of America employing neo-Nazis as some of his closest advisors, surges in hate crimes, etc. And in this context, demanding that Israel be annihilated and replaced with a state that doesn't offer any guarantee of protection for Jewish people suddenly becomes a lot more morally questionable. So you have a situation where anti-Zionism needs to be more rigorous, and also absolutist positions need to be examined to see if they'd lead you to morally abhorrent ends.

I mean, that's without the nonsense of saying Jewish people moving to Israel currently are setting up their own state. If we took that seriously, it'd be problematic in and of itself, but your brain is obviously running on autopilot so there's not much point in examining the ideology behind what you're saying.

So now you've moved on to personal insults and even more strawman? Cool. I never said that Jews can never leave their country of origin - I said I found it morally unacceptable to leave their country of origin to set up an apartheid state that thrives on ethnic cleansing. People of just about every background emigrate to other countries all the time. I also never once said you can't flee from violence, I said I found it morally wrong to flee from violence to commit repeated racially motivated violence against another people so that you can set up an apartheid state that thrives on ethnic cleansing. Sensing a pattern? Seeing what the one constant is that seems consistently teetered to the whole 'morally unacceptable' thing?

Also the President of the United States is not a fascist (he is just a unstable right wing rear end in a top hat) and the few fascist friends he has have been by and large sidelined or expelled from government as I understand it. Also how did youy get "doesn't offer any guarantee of protection for Jewish people" from "bi-national state with equal rights, privileges, and responsibility for all"?

And the last bit is just utter nonsense you threw in that totally reads past what I wrote. No, I obviously don't think anyone who goes to Israel is setting up a new state. I've been talking about Zionism as an ideal, and support for the only way you can achieve that ideal - which is the creation of an apartheid state that thrives on ethnic cleansing - of which the product has been and will probably continue to be Israel. Support for Zionism today is support for continuing and expanding that project, not the start of 100 new ones. I don't think I've said a word on whether Jews should ever move to Israel now that it is set up, though the same rules mostly apply in my opinion if you go there to be complicit in its crimes against humanity. So yeah, I don't really have an interest in having a debate with someone with no interest in debating in anything resembling good faith and is mainly just interesting in insults and strawmen.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 28, 2017

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that's the thing. She wasn't openly proclaiming her support for Israel. The organizers came over and asked her about her personal political beliefs, and then kicked her out because of them. It'd be like me being a gay Trump supporter and wearing an American flag pin to a pride event only to get kicked out after the organizers asked me if I voted Trump.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorgo Primus posted:

So now you've moved on to personal insults and even more strawman? Cool. I never said that Jews can never leave their country of origin - I said I found it morally unacceptable to leave their country of origin to set up an apartheid state that thrives on ethnic cleansing. People of just about every background emigrate to other countries all the time. I also never once said you can't flee from violence, I said I found it morally wrong to flee from violence to commit repeated racially motivated violence against another people so that you can set up an apartheid state that thrives on ethnic cleansing. Sensing a pattern? Seeing what the one constant is that seems consistently teetered to the whole 'morally unacceptable' thing?

Also the President of the United States is not a fascist (he is just a unstable right wing rear end in a top hat) and the few fascist friends he has have been by and large sidelined or expelled from government as I understand it. Also how did youy get "doesn't offer any guarantee of protection for Jewish people" from "bi-national state with equal rights, privileges, and responsibility for all"?

And the last bit is just utter nonsense you threw in that totally reads past what I wrote and shows some other post that has never been made here what for. So yeah, I don't really have an interest in having a debate with someone with no interest in debating in anything resembling good faith and is mainly just interesting in insults and strawmen.

Well, nobody is doing that. Even libertarian seasteaders aren't engaging in ethnic cleansing. There are no people setting up apartheid states. None. Israel already exists. Describing it as being set up currently is nothing more than the crudest of propaganda.

Most importantly, here, you are arguing that there is no ambiguity in Israel, that all Israelis are, effectively, genocidaires. I guess you'll split hairs between ethnic cleansing and genocide (and I'll take it as given that Israeli Arabs and Druze are excluded from that blanket statement), but the point here is that the idea of establishing a one-state solution when close to half of the population is to be seen ideologically as actively genocidal/ethniccleansingcidal is an idiotic one, almost as idiotic as establishing a one-state solution which still places Gentiles as second-class citizens. It's not a recipe for a functional state. Maybe you've personally got a belief in the necessity of Truth and Reconciliation Commissions and swift justice against symbolic figures of the long violence in order to establish a functional one-state solution, but you have not spoken about that, because it's not a priority for you. And it should be a priority with the state of the world as it is today, to allow the purpose of Zionism to be decoupled from the policies of Israel. I assume you'll throw a fit about how the purpose of Zionism is actually to murder Palestinians now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Continuing to expand into new areas, cleanse the locals, and build settlements sounds a lot like setting up an apartheid state to me, considering it's taking areas which are not currently part of a racist apartheid state and reconstituting them as one.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

Continuing to expand into new areas, cleanse the locals, and build settlements sounds a lot like setting up an apartheid state to me, considering it's taking areas which are not currently part of a racist apartheid state and reconstituting them as one.

Another aspect of this which is fundamentally problematic is the extent to which anti-Zionism is not about ideas but about repeating the proper catechism. If you say that it's absurd to say that Israel is being "set up", then people immediately claim that the illegal occupation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem historically is irrelevant, and settlements emerge apparently from the aether rather than being a manifestation of existing Israeli policy for decades. It's a stupid statement to make, but it's of course not about thinking, it's about the fact that someone disputed one of the slogans.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

Pachakuti posted:

Well, nobody is doing that. Even libertarian seasteaders aren't engaging in ethnic cleansing. There are no people setting up apartheid states. None. Israel already exists. Describing it as being set up currently is nothing more than the crudest of propaganda.

Most importantly, here, you are arguing that there is no ambiguity in Israel, that all Israelis are, effectively, genocidaires. I guess you'll split hairs between ethnic cleansing and genocide (and I'll take it as given that Israeli Arabs and Druze are excluded from that blanket statement), but the point here is that the idea of establishing a one-state solution when close to half of the population is to be seen ideologically as actively genocidal/ethniccleansingcidal is an idiotic one, almost as idiotic as establishing a one-state solution which still places Gentiles as second-class citizens. It's not a recipe for a functional state. Maybe you've personally got a belief in the necessity of Truth and Reconciliation Commissions and swift justice against symbolic figures of the long violence in order to establish a functional one-state solution, but you have not spoken about that, because it's not a priority for you. And it should be a priority with the state of the world as it is today, to allow the purpose of Zionism to be decoupled from the policies of Israel. I assume you'll throw a fit about how the purpose of Zionism is actually to murder Palestinians now.

Keep those strawmen coming. I can't wait to hear what else it turns out I really secretly think and feel about any number of topics! Did I also not post about how I think education is a right and therefore think all schools in Israel should be privatized? Am I arguing for fascism? Do I want to nuke Israel like in those old LF gifs? :ohdear:

Edit:

vvv That's the spirit! Who cares what I really wrote or think? I'm not angry, I'm frustrated with the fact that your style of bullshit posting is a-okay here now and am done wasting my time. vvv

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 28, 2017

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorgo Primus posted:

Keep those strawmen coming. I can't wait to hear what else it turns out I really secretly think and feel about any number of topics!

There's really no reason for you to get angry, since you are claiming that Jewish people who move to Israel are only doing it to steal Palestinian land and murder Palestinians, which certainly is dictating what it is they secretly think and feel. Or perhaps it is OK for you to do that because they're faceless entities you don't think of as actual people, unlike the guy saying "the way in which you present anti-Zionist ideas is flawed in these fashions". In fact, by making accusations that I am debating in bad faith, you are also telling me what I secretly think and feel.

Gorgo Primus posted:

Did I also not post about how I think education is a right and therefore think all schools in Israel should be privatized? Am I arguing for fascism? Do I want to nuke Israel like in those old LF gifs? :ohdear:

These certainly are comparable to talking solely about how Israelis are all active ethnic cleansers/genocidaires. I think, from the evidence, that you have real difficulties expressing yourself outside of repeating cant and catechism, such that you are unable to respond to someone taking your statements as if you had formulated them yourself.

Gorgo Primus posted:

vvv That's the spirit! Who cares what I really wrote or think? I'm not angry, I'm frustrated with the fact that your style of bullshit posting is a-okay here now and am done wasting my time. vvv

In theory you could clarify yourself and offer up what you actually think instead of throwing a hissy fit about how the forums have gone downhill. Purely in theory, of course.

Pachakuti fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 28, 2017

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Every Jew who moves to Israel knows very well the suffering Palestinians had to go through in order for that to happen. And they accept it, just like meat eaters accept that animals had to die to provide the meat.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pachakuti posted:

Another aspect of this which is fundamentally problematic is the extent to which anti-Zionism is not about ideas but about repeating the proper catechism. If you say that it's absurd to say that Israel is being "set up", then people immediately claim that the illegal occupation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem historically is irrelevant, and settlements emerge apparently from the aether rather than being a manifestation of existing Israeli policy for decades. It's a stupid statement to make, but it's of course not about thinking, it's about the fact that someone disputed one of the slogans.

Building new settlements isn't setting them up, because other settlements were built before?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah. A conversation that would not have happened had the people interrogating them not been antisemites. How many times must this be explained to you? This also doesn't explain the non-/anti-Zionists forced to leave for carrying similar "offensive" symbols.

How many times must I explain that no one has claimed that anyone who was not bearing a flag resembling the Israeli one or attempting to drown out pro-Palestinian chants was "interrogated?"

If I'm wrong and people were similarly treated for entirely different but equally public expressions of Jewish identity - T-shirts, kippot, tallit, banners, etc. - please point me to their accounts and I'll join you in condemning that.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
The argument on display here is that there is only one reason why Jewish people might support Israel as a concept and that is because they love apartheid and hate Palestinians. Now, it is entirely possible you think this is true for everyone who has expressed more sympathy for Israel than Palestine, and so I won't go into how this reduces specifically Jewish people into subhuman entities of pure evil. But there's still the fundamental imbecility of the argument, that there is literally nothing else to Israel beyond these phenomena pf imperialism, colonialism, and apartheid, and this imbecility serves solely to avoid any ambiguity about the existence of Israel. How, then, are we to establish a just society when we have concluded that close to half of the people involved are pure evil?

Of course, the obvious answer is that many left-wing people feel themselves to be so utterly impotent that they don't believe there's any connection between what they think and believe now and what would happen if their movements succeeded. So for them, left-wing beliefs are a vacation from morality, because they have no consequence on anything. This is rather dangerous, however, because these beliefs can't be hermetically sealed to everyone who's in on the clinical depression, and in the event of mass leftism would certainly spill over.

VitalSigns posted:

Building new settlements isn't setting them up, because other settlements were built before?

Do you know what a "state" is?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pachakuti posted:

Do you know what a "state" is?

Yes.

Do you know that states aren't "set up" in one instant, and that "setting up" a state is a long process that takes decades and often centuries?

Continuing to incorporate more and more areas into an ever-greater expansionist state is certainly an ongoing process of setting up a state. No one would ever argue, regarding any other state, that an ongoing program of military conquest and occupation isn't "setting up" a wider imperial state because "oh well you see we have been expanding for decades so we must be past the set-up stage by now"

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
This post is kind of why I tried to drill down on the definition of 'Zionism' earlier. There clearly is a lot of space in that definition regardless of how clear everyone seems to think the issue is. It's also very humourous and novel for someone to post at me like I'm a big fan of Israel but there's a first time for everything.

Anyway,

Gorgo Primus posted:

Even if you don't think it would be potentially very dangerous for Jews I still think it would underwrite a profound dislocation and create a gigantic identity crisis in the majority of world Jewry. But here that depends on what the abolition of Israel is taken to really mean.

Gorgo Primus posted:

This is a nonsensical argument. For starters, there are about 14-15 million Jews in the world, and about six to seven million of those live in Israel; when you add the US (a comparable population), Israel's firmest ally and ultimate guarantor, that's almost all of world Jewry. Israel is the largest population centre of Jews, and is nearly a majority on its own. Between Israel and Israel's closest friend you're at 80%. That's putting aside questions like the law of return and how many Jews there are out there who are preserving moving to Israel as an option - and also how many of the diaspora strongly identify as Jewish.

As for immigration, the pattern has been for a fairly solid growth in European migration to Israel in particular:

A few thousand might not seem like a lot, but there's only 400-600,000 Jews in France.

About a quarter each of all these immigrants are from France, Ukraine and Russia respectively. It's a low tide of immigration relative to the wave of Russians after the fall of the USSR, but a doubling between 2008 and 2015 is not insignificant.

Gorgo Primus posted:

So far as I can tell antisemitism isn't actually on the rise unless you count anti-zionism as antisemitism, and I'm fairly sure antisemitism in the middle east would be a lot harder to sustain at present levels if there weren't a state insisting that it that it speaks/acts for all Jews that maintained itself on the basis of apartheid, ethnic cleanings, and retinue mass murder that bigots could point at to try to convince others of their views.

There is the subjective but compelling evidence of the rise of right wing populist movements in the US, Europe, Eastern Europe, etc. However, insofar as statistical evidence exists, it follows the same pattern as that migration - there was a peak around protective edge, and now incidents are declining back down to a calmer level. We think. There aren't really good stats for the post-Trump/Brexit etc. world. But where they are declining, that attribution is in part given to Jews either hiding their identity more or receiving greater security e.g.

http://www.jta.org/2017/03/30/news-opinion/world/attacks-on-jews-have-dropped-by-half-french-human-rights-agency-reports
http://antisemitism.org.il/article/113950/2016-antisemitism-report-kantor-center

Additionally, it's believed that a decline in attacks simply reflects the greater energy of far right groups directed against Muslims as a proportion of total attacks; 51% of all racially provoked attacks in France in 2015 were against Jews.

It just remains to be seen if recent events are an aberration that is flaming out or the beginning of a new pattern.

Gorgo Primus posted:

This sentence just doesn't make sense linguistically.

Gorgo Primus posted:

It isn't, it's just one of the few examples of such a state capable of enforcing that right; Palestine is not. That is not good. That is just so.

In any event, the one state solution is and always has been a joke. While I respect it as the preferred model of Edward Said, it's opposed by an overwhelming majority of all the parties involved; regardless of its merits, it's the solution of the detached observer. It also runs contrary to the basis of every single legal and diplomatic effort all the parties involved have ever engaged in.

It's stupid.

Gorgo Primus posted:

Israel is most definitely founded on injustice and theft - but like I said, so are lots of other places. Nobody realistically calls for them to be torn down and built again from the foundation up, or really regards it as possible.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 28, 2017

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

Yes.

Do you know that states aren't "set up" in one instant, and that "setting up" a state is a long process that takes decades and often centuries?

Continuing to incorporate more and more areas into an ever-greater expansionist state is certainly an ongoing process of setting up a state. No one would ever argue, regarding any other state, that an ongoing program of military conquest and occupation isn't "setting up" a wider imperial state because "oh well you see we have been expanding for decades so we must be past the set-up stage by now"

Actually, my man, I don't think most people would say that the United States only really came into being in 1994.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Barry Convex posted:

How many times must I explain that no one has claimed that anyone who was not bearing a flag resembling the Israeli one or attempting to drown out pro-Palestinian chants was "interrogated?"

If I'm wrong and people were similarly treated for entirely different but equally public expressions of Jewish identity - T-shirts, kippot, tallit, banners, etc. - please point me to their accounts and I'll join you in condemning that.

Ok I take back what I said, I watched a video by a witness and they were drowning out the pro-Palestinian chants DURING the pride event, I previously thought they did that in a past event. The organizers were perfectly justified in kicking them out for being pro-Israel.