Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Drunk Theory posted:

To be fair, no one said whose dreams they would be creating. Under that metric, the backers are successful, even if no game ever is released.

See, you just discovered the M. Night Shyamalan ending. :)

This is the ending people will cling to as they scan over their finances, have to look their families in the eye, and cry themselves to sleep over with their 10 for the chairman videos they saved from YouTube prior to their deletion playing on a loop in their space ship shaped basement. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
It would be fun if this could end like a movie, with outtakes from all the popular people.

Space toilet man: I really just wanted to take a poo poo in space, but it turns out I was the poo poo flushing down the money toilet.

Bunny guy: I really wish I didn't post that on the Internet seriously.

Dark Citizen: It was my dads gun and it really was poor taste for a video game. I just went too far and I'm sorry.

AdmzAdama: I'm loving iiiiiinnnnnssaaaaannne still!!!!

Humility: *somber photo of his grave*

B'tak: I've decided I can't handle the potential of human interaction. I'm just staying in a basement in Alaska. Forever. Forever. Don't come looking for me.

Feel free to add your own funnier ideas here. :)

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I have a question for finance goons. Let’s assume that this is indeed a loan the size of their tax return, that’s there to see them to the ‘cons. Their tax return is collateral for the base amount, and everything else F42 owns covers the interest.

But what happens when F42 gets the tax return? It’s sixty days between a default and the bank clearing you out. That’s more than enough time to spend that money. If CIG is still failing at that point, what incentive is there to pay off the loan over keeping the plates spinning for two more months, and what protections does the bank have against this?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Ubik_Lives posted:

I have a question for finance goons. Let’s assume that this is indeed a loan the size of their tax return, that’s there to see them to the ‘cons. Their tax return is collateral for the base amount, and everything else F42 owns covers the interest.

But what happens when F42 gets the tax return? It’s sixty days between a default and the bank clearing you out. That’s more than enough time to spend that money. If CIG is still failing at that point, what incentive is there to pay off the loan over keeping the plates spinning for two more months, and what protections does the bank have against this?

idk how corporate loans work but you typically dont have to pay the loan back all at once.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
So that meeting photo is slightly interesting in that over half the people in the meeting are not even paying attention to the meeting and doing something else.

You would think they would tell everyone, ok, now pay attention tot he screen so we can take this picture for Sandi to use on her Social feed.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

So when does CIG just poo poo out everything that they have and claim it is a complete game?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Ubik_Lives posted:

This is a non-laywer, I have only worked in North America but I have been involved in setting up small corporations answer… So generally you set up corporations to prevent employees, officers, the board of the corporation, and shareholders for being personally liable for the doings of the business. They have limited liability. However, in the event that the company does go under and the creditors think there was some malfeasance, they can sue to pierce the corporate veil and go after the shareholders etc. So if your scenario played out, it would depend on *how* CIG was spending the money. If they were paying it to keep the corporation going, to continue work, and drum up more pledges, then not a lot. That's the risk a bank takes when it give out a loan. If they could argue that the money had been withdrawn illegitimately, they might go after the officers who took the money out of the company.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Grinning Goblin posted:

So when does CIG just poo poo out everything that they have and claim it is a complete game?
December 2016, but the announcement won't be for two weeks.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

I'm most curious to see if CIG releases something before the loan is repaid. Unless a magic dev build is released I doubt CIG could endure the inevitable ridicule their launch product will receive. Though I have no doubt they could monetize the communities hatred of Derek/Goons, which would add to the big CIG Velcro wallet as well as offer a non-explicit assurance that the delayed game will be even better.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Titanic posted:

I have a feeling when the millions were going around Ben was happy just to receive some Wing Commander promotional junk. He's probably well off, but not set nicely.

Good luck finding that next job buddy. :)

100% honesty here. I would pay $29.99 if he wrote a tell-all book once this is all over.

The Titanic posted:

Be sure to include links to your comedy webpage to show how much of a master of comedy you are, and links to the community you literally had grown so toxic the company had to remove it from the Internet. :)

Yeah. That site was pretty bad. Here's the GBS thread on it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772600

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

tuo posted:

I might have something brewing for you...citizencon is in germany this year, and Derek still owes us a visit to it...

complete thing coming in two weeks (I actually have to get finished as long as CIG still exists...)

:vince:
:perfect:
:five::five::five::five::five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

I got dibs on Toast's office chair.

^that's it! MoMa is officially a Goon! It took awhile, but we're finally there. :grin:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=51766

I wish we could see when he last logged in. Mods?!?!?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Only Derek fuckin Smart could find more than 2 consecutive seconds of that movie funny.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Trying to decide what's worse, and therefore what option CIG goes with.

1) They release 3.0 before gamescom and it's steaming poo poo. All but the most faithful realize the game is going nowhere and funding falls short of expectations.

2) They realize the game is so poo poo it's a risk to release, however Croberts has to try and show something at gamescom with the ghost of last year hanging around and reminding everyone it's 8+ months late.

3) Last minute announcement they are skipping gamescom and focusing on the true fans with CitCon.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

PederP posted:

Whether the loan is a minor one for low interest or not (it's impossible to know the size, interest, etc. - and it's silly to speculate really), Ortwin should know better than to state this: "Foundry 42 and its parent company Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd. have elected to partner with Coutts".

Banks generally don't allow you to use the word "partner" about your business arrangement, and I'm pretty sure whatever contract(s) govern the loan explicitly forbid this. In practice, they probably won't care about this, but in principle making a public statement about partnership could be used as legal ammunition to void an agreement, demand compensation and/or public retraction of the statement. It's a standard clause in most business contracts, so I'm baffled that an experienced financial officer would use this phrasing.

As mentioned above, it's silly to speculate about this loan. Even very minor business arrangements with banks can have legal conditions that are basically "we own you and everything you produce until you pay us". But the partnership claim used in the rebuttal? No-go. He's basically claiming a much more intimate and interdependent business relationship than actually exists, and Coutts could (but almost certainly won't bother to) give him legal hell for it.

(I am a game developer working in a bank as an entry-level director, but not a lawyer though)

You're right. It's in there, and we've been discussing that very point a few pages back. Someone also attached an image of the specific section from the loan charge.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/879141013557739521

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

D_Smart posted:

You're right. It's in there, and we've been discussing that very point a few pages back. Someone also attached an image of the specific section from the loan charge.

:awaits ol cactus dick reply:

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Guys guys, I just had someone tell me CIG is getting the LIBOR (the rate banks charge other banks for loans) rate from Coutts. So everything is fine, nothing to see here!

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

:awaits ol cactus dick reply:

You mean Big Cactus, Big Prick?

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
And 4 mil USD only converts to 3.2 mil GBP, so that's an "accounting loss" of 800k they are trying to avoid you see.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Where them procedural birds?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

EmesiS posted:

I'm most curious to see if CIG releases something before the loan is repaid. Unless a magic dev build is released I doubt CIG could endure the inevitable ridicule their launch product will receive. Though I have no doubt they could monetize the communities hatred of Derek/Goons, which would add to the big CIG Velcro wallet as well as offer a non-explicit assurance that the delayed game will be even better.

They've proven time and again there is no magic dev build, because every-time we see their latest patch the game is frantically compiled last minute from a handful of USB sticks and a dream

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Still waiting on Planets 2.0...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=magn_TOPMsE&t=519s

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

They've proven time and again there is no magic dev build, because every-time we see their latest patch the game is frantically compiled last minute from a handful of USB sticks and a dream

No doubt. I was fighting the dev build myth even before I refunded. I mean, it's not actually too much to expect, nor would it be too uncommon, but for the love of Croberts, they don't even have a lovely dev build.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

God drat the backers are dumb. There is nothing good about this meeting. It's a daily morning (coffees) meeting, focused on 3.0, and we can presume it involves everyone from Chris to the developers.

• What can Chris usefully contribute on a daily basis to such a meeting?
  • It's a morning meeting, so what lines of code have you written that immediately needs group analysis?
  • Why are you showing lines of code to a clearly uninterested audience?
  • It's a daily morning meeting, that clearly abandons the useful parts of daily standups
    • you keep it short (stand up)
    • problems are not discussed in detail, but identified & discussed further "offline"
    • you concentrate on what's blocking the team, and emphasise moving cards into "done". Rather than a card wall, we see code details.

It's a scheduled waste of time, being presented as progress.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Everyone also looks super thrilled.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Buddy at the LA office told me that the only reason they started making the "Making Of" Documentary when they did was so that they could have it ready for the MVP. They plan on releasing the game, claiming full product status, and pledge to patch in eveeything else.

The documentary will be a bonus added on dvd, along with whatever mocap/filming they were able to unfuck and paste together like some lovely teenage backyard no-budget movie.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also, why do you think they were pimping out the steel box container not too long ago and holding votes for the designs.

MVP gonna hit soon!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Jobbo_Fett posted:

MVP gonna hit soon!

I cannot wait :dance:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

no_recall posted:

It made a cameo in the last ATV. I'm not joking.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

doingitwrong posted:

This is a non-laywer, I have only worked in North America but I have been involved in setting up small corporations answer… So generally you set up corporations to prevent employees, officers, the board of the corporation, and shareholders for being personally liable for the doings of the business. They have limited liability. However, in the event that the company does go under and the creditors think there was some malfeasance, they can sue to pierce the corporate veil and go after the shareholders etc. So if your scenario played out, it would depend on *how* CIG was spending the money. If they were paying it to keep the corporation going, to continue work, and drum up more pledges, then not a lot. That's the risk a bank takes when it give out a loan. If they could argue that the money had been withdrawn illegitimately, they might go after the officers who took the money out of the company.

So does malfeasance cover things like golden parachutes, last second bonuses, sudden raises, buying up stock in companies owned by execs? That is the kind of thing I would expect people to look for, which CIG would avoid. I'm thinking that they are going to try to push for some kind of release, using every last cent to poo poo out an MVP that might protect them from being sued for whatever wages they paid themselves.

Edit: late cat taxe

Strangler 42 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 28, 2017

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

100% honesty here. I would pay $29.99 if he wrote a tell-all book once this is all over.
I'd rather a tell-all was written by someone more credible (i.e., much better-informed and much less impressed with Chris Roberts), but yeah, I really want an authoritative, insider post-mortem on what the gently caress happened when it's over. That's going to be a fascinating story. And probably a source of cautionary tales (and entire chapters in textbooks on computer science, project management, and business ethics!) for years to come.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

no_recall posted:

I'm still waiting for the motion captured fish Chris promised. I don't even know how that would work. I'm imaging a bunch of ping-pong balls taped to fish.

It's so ridiculous that I want to emphasize that I'm not making a joke. Chris Roberts actually talked about motion captured fish in his space sim.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

synthetik posted:

coutt >> 'thank you for playing!'

The new CIG programming language they were going to create is progressing nicely, I see :smuggo:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D_Smart posted:

Hey Derek, you should send an email to Coutts saying you're writing an article about their partnership and ask them for a statement on why they've agreed to partner with a video game developer. Their official response would be worth a blog post on it's own, eh?

Chalks fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 28, 2017

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Trilobite posted:

That's going to be a fascinating story. And probably a source of cautionary tales (and entire chapters in textbooks on computer science, project management, and business ethics!) for years to come.

Swap out "cautionary" for "inspirational" and you've got yourself the classic Citizen pitch. In the end, I wonder if we're not just as trapped in orbit as they are. Though at least the goons are a little more self-aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

All this FUD......
It's just a small liquidity issue. They'll be layering in the bankruptcy and court proceedings over time.