Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The Phantasma copy of Mister Tiddles should have been an optional superboss.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like how our burgeoning party has some sympathy with the person who walked out on the notional protagonist.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
For no specific reason whatsoever, Josette is always willing to lend an ear and a shoulder to females who are frustrated with the guys in their life.

Tita, of course, needs to be bought a clue.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Erpy posted:

For no specific reason whatsoever, Josette is always willing to lend an ear and a shoulder to females who are frustrated with the guys in their life.
Actually she has one, two in fact, her brothers.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's really kinda neat seeing Josette bond with a few people on the team. She's been around since this whole thing started (and is arguably the catalyst that starts Estelle's journey), but almost all her interactions are with Estelle and Joshua (and Schera, to a much lesser extent), plus her brothers. And for each of those, she's very one-note. She displays a lot of different facets here.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Txn posted:

Actually she has one, two in fact, her brothers.

I was being slightly sarcastic when I said "for no reason whatsoever". In addition to her two brothers, there's also Joshua. :)

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's really kinda neat seeing Josette bond with a few people on the team. She's been around since this whole thing started (and is arguably the catalyst that starts Estelle's journey), but almost all her interactions are with Estelle and Joshua (and Schera, to a much lesser extent), plus her brothers. And for each of those, she's very one-note. She displays a lot of different facets here.

For someone who claims not to care about heroics or team spirit and just wants to get out of there, Josette's surprisingly thoughtful. And it is nice to see her interact with others on the team.

I still kinda wonder how Estelle and Josette would have gotten along if Estelle and Joshua hadn't delivered that septium crystal during FC's prologue while Josette was visiting. The heist might still have been foiled, but Estelle wouldn't have tried to insta-BFF Josette at the mayor's house, which means Josette wouldn't have mocked Estelle about it while she was listening in and their conflict would been a lot less personal. Or maybe the fact that Estelle and Josette or so similar in their tomboyish characteristics would have kicked off their childish little rivalry regardless of how they got to know each other.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And once again, Mueller resists the urge to "accidentally" run his sword through Olivier's face. Also, never stop being you, Olivier. :allears:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Really Pants posted:

No matter the situation, Olivier's first thought is 'can we turn this mother up y/n.'

What's really impressive is that the answer is always 'yes'.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This is a pretty plane. Hopefully cool things go down here.

I wonder what a Stigma is...

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

ultrafilter posted:

What's really impressive is that the answer is always 'yes'.

Olivier's secret S-Break is "Get the Party Started". It doubles all his stats and gives everybody (ally and enemy) party hats

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

EagerSleeper posted:

It was briefly brought up in SC. Weissmann used one to control Joshua until Joshua shattered it with Kevin's help.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Olivier's secret S-Break is "Get the Party Started". It doubles all his stats and gives everybody (ally and enemy) party hats

It also inflicts the Rage status ailment on Mueller despite that usually being an enemy-only ailment. Until it wears off, Mueller can only attack Olivier.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

EagerSleeper posted:

Several cool things happen in this plane.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is time for fights

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The jaegers and creepy sheep are also vulnerable to confusion, which quickly becomes hilarious if you start spamming Chaos Brand on them. Gilbert and his team initially gave me some trouble since I wasn't prepared for getting spammed by blinding attacks that were also AOE. Once you buffed and spread out, though, they're not too threatening.

The Physical quartz is really useful, though it occasionally backfires if opponents use attacks that aren't arts yet still count as magic, such as flamethrower attacks, causing your physical-user to nearly get one-shotted.

After winning the first time, you can reenter the door at any time without needing Zin in your party. You won't get another Physical quartz if you win, but Gilbert's G-Apache still drops additional Fool's Emblems every time you win and an accessory that boosts your speed stat by 25 is nothing to scoff at.

The announcer's line changes depending on who's in the first party slot when you enter the door and even has a special line for one particular combination later on.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Fool's Emblem's +25 speed made it a mainstay of my party.

I really should have picked up more...

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Speed is hugely important in this game, much moreso than the previous two.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
That chapter art is incredible. :allears:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

EagerSleeper posted:

That chapter art is incredible. :allears:

The art book is amazing. You've got a bunch of regular art, but then poo poo like this happens:

Really Pants posted:

it is time for fights

(that's actually an arrangement of images from the second to last page of the character art book)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Who drew this? Hirohiko Araki?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Junpei posted:

Who drew this? Hirohiko Araki?

Looks more like Tetsuo Hara (fist of the north star)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

havenwaters posted:

Looks more like Tetsuo Hara (fist of the north star)

...can't deny that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, interesting. Do any of the other Sun Doors get extra challenges as you progress the game?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Glazius posted:

Oh, interesting. Do any of the other Sun Doors get extra challenges as you progress the game?

All the others have multiple difficulties, but they're available immediately after you finish lower ones.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 27, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Some Numbers posted:

All the others have multiple difficulties, but they're available immediately after you finish lower ones.

There's one more where I seem to recall you needing a second item to get to the second part of the story. Unless that's what you already said, you double-checked it, and it was wrong so you edited it out. :v:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

There's one more where I seem to recall you needing a second item to get to the second part of the story. Unless that's what you already said, you double-checked it, and it was wrong so you edited it out. :v:

If I recall correctly, the only door other than the arena one you visit more than once is Tita's door, which requires another party member but that one's a Moon Door rather than a Sun Door.

Of all the Sun Doors, only the Arena one isn't completely beatable the first time you go there since you need additional "invitations" to enter the higher challenges as well as additional levels, equipment and quartz in order to avoid getting completely clowned by the battles inside. All the other Sun Doors involve mini-games that are unrelated to your in-game stats and gear, so you can tackle them right away.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

If I recall correctly, the only door other than the arena one you visit more than once is Tita's door, which requires another party member but that one's a Moon Door rather than a Sun Door.

Of all the Sun Doors, only the Arena one isn't completely beatable the first time you go there since you need additional "invitations" to enter the higher challenges as well as additional levels, equipment and quartz in order to avoid getting completely clowned by the battles inside. All the other Sun Doors involve mini-games that are unrelated to your in-game stats and gear, so you can tackle them right away.

Ah-hah, found it. I was thinking of Sun Door 4, which requires an item to get in initially but no extra item to go on to part 2 of it. So there's where I got mixed up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Moon Door 3 is the longest door of them all, but I think it should have been a Star Door. It's like five times as long as it needed to be. You want to know what the payoff is?

Kloe knows Lechter.

This guy.

That's it, that's the take-away. If you don't feel like reading this whole door, that's what you need to know.

Now strap yourselves in for some EXTREME HIGH SCHOOL NAVEL-GAZING.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If you didn't get Lechter's line about his "great view", he saw Kloe's panties.

Lechter, Lechter, Lechter... What can I say about him? He's goddamn hilarious, he shows up in every game after this (Zero, Ao, Sen 1 and 2), and he's got a lot more about him than meets the eye.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Lechter is part of the reason I wanna play the other games. I must know what his deal is

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I dunno, I had a lot of fun watching insecure Kloe go around and learn some self-confidence. Seeing Jill and Hans in junior roles is entertaining, and it's nice to see exactly why Kloe and Jill became friends.

When I saw this door for the first time, I saw Lechter as a foil to Kevin. Like Kevin, he's a comedian, and like Kevin he uses comedy to distance himself from other people. But Lechter is going around trying to help people and make their lives better on a very personal level. That's not something Kevin would do.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Lechter is part of the reason I wanna play the other games. I must know what his deal is

Alls you need to know is, if he starts talking about Chianti, bail.

nrook posted:

But Lechter is going around trying to help people and make their lives better on a very personal level. That's not something Kevin would do.

I argue that in murdering Weissman beyond the hope of any last-minute cunning plan horseshit, Kevin has bettered the lives of virtually everybody Weissman has ever encountered on a very personal level.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, granted, the very first time he shows up, he gives Estelle a shoulder to cry on when Joshua's disappearance finally hits her, so it's not like he's unwilling to help them when they're down... even if he was probably already starting to figure out how to use her to get to Weissman.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

All this talk about Lechter but everyone is ignoring the giant elephant in the room, the shocking revelation hidden innocuously in this Moon Door that threatens to shatter the very nature of this game series' universe.

We found out Anton's backstory.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It also retcons the bit from FC where Kloe tells Estelle and Joshua that Jill came up with her seeecret name.

I actually found the Lechter portions to be the weakest part of this door. The best part was watching the start of Kloe's friendship with Jill and Hans.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Really Pants posted:

Moon Door 3 is the longest door of them all, but I think it should have been a Star Door. It's like five times as long as it needed to be. You want to know what the payoff is?

Kloe knows Lechter.

This guy.

That's it, that's the take-away. If you don't feel like reading this whole door, that's what you need to know.

Now strap yourselves in for some EXTREME HIGH SCHOOL NAVEL-GAZING.

I guess you didn't like this one, huh?

While I do agree that it drags a bit at times (especially if you talk to all the NPCs on campus, whose lines change like 4 to 5 times throughout the door), I did feel I got some valuable experiences from this door.

- Anton and Ricky attended Jenis and Anton was even in Kloe's class. It's kind of a shame she doesn't have suitable dialogue if you take her along to the drinking duel between Anton and Aina. You'd think she'd recognize a classmate.

- It's perfectly possible for Leo and Lucy to appear in later games at some point. One of the NPCs mentions Lucy's a transfer student from Remiferia. In case the main series' plot makes it there, it wouldn't be surprising to have her pop up again.

- After seeing Hans continuously (jokingly) hitting on Joshua, I found it kinda funny to see him act like a love-sick puppy around Lucy, even getting into fights with NPCs over her.

- Seeing how she met and slowly warmed up to Jill was kinda :3: It was also nice to see Jill take a break the "evil genius" schtick and display a more vulnerable side.

- I do feel this door made me appreciate Kloe more. Yes, character development in reverse does feel kinda jarring at times, but FC and SC gave plenty of hints that Kloe's life hadn't been particularly easy and she admits her time at Jenis helped her get her act together. Kloe lost her mom and dad before she even got to know them and the happiest time of her life was during the goddamn 100 Days War when for the first time she found a place she truly felt she belonged. The fact that she didn't have any friends before Jill and Hans came along kinda showed she lived a rather isolated life at Grancel Castle. So as wangsty as Kloe is during this door, it's not EXACTLY a surprise given what we already know about her. It's kinda funny because "goody-two-shoes" is actually how a lot of people always described Kloe, so seeing it turned on its head in this door is interesting.

- It introduces Lechter. This is his first appearance in the series, players didn't know him yet, so it was worth for him getting a good deal of screentime. I feel the lengths this door goes to to show the player his antics, personality and flashes of insight results in a payoff when he makes his reappearance later that wouldn't have been there if this door hadn't paid so much attention to him.

I also laughed when Lechter dropped that panty shot line and then casually informed Kloe where her escape route was headed. Kloe struggling to not give him the satisfaction of a flustered response really sold the scene.

One thing that puzzled me is the fact Maybelle isn't seen on campus. Kloe is supposed to know her from her time at Jenis, but Maybelle graduated before the events of FC. So either this was an oversight on Falcom's behalf or Maybelle was attending, but was simply playing hooky. Lila did say her lady-like ways were relatively recent.

nrook posted:

When I saw this door for the first time, I saw Lechter as a foil to Kevin. Like Kevin, he's a comedian, and like Kevin he uses comedy to distance himself from other people. But Lechter is going around trying to help people and make their lives better on a very personal level. That's not something Kevin would do.

To be honest, it's kind of difficult to know with Kevin. While there's grounds to see a lot of his actions as suspicious, including sticking with Estelle in SC's pre-prologue (he probably sensed the memory block that Weissmann put in Estelle's mind and figured out who put it there) he does have times when he seems to genuinely try to help Estelle, like at the start of Chapter 6 when he approaches her at Valleria Lake and asks her what she's gonna do if she actually finds Joshua.

Some Numbers posted:

It also retcons the bit from FC where Kloe tells Estelle and Joshua that Jill came up with her seeecret name.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Actually I noticed it in SC when Kloe mentioned that only Jill, Hans and the Dean knew about her real identity.

I personally think they should have edited the villa scene in FC and change the person who came up with it from Jill to Julia. (Julia has called her that from time to time) For a series that's remarkably coherent, even minor plot holes like these stand out.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 28, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Maybe I'm just salty from all that transcribing. It was a chore and a half this time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Super Jay Mann posted:

We found out Anton's backstory.

We only found out what he wanted us to find out.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I love how Reina blatantly refers that "Missing Lady" sidequest in SC two years before it actually happens. Felicity is very much Zemuria's Marty McFly. This Moon Door also has Felicity introduce herself as Felicity Baeren, so if there's some noble in Cold Steel III with that last name, we'll know he or she's related to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Baron Baeren, last descendant of the Duke of Earle.

• Locked thread