Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bruceski posted:

Does doublehand not work with Goblin Punch? I assumed it would since it changes the sheet damage, but unless I missed some variable in the damage it's not.

Goblin Punch uses a similar damage formula to a normal attack but does not count as a normal attack itself, so Two-Handed has no effect. Dual-Wield works, though.

Bruceski posted:

Also, the killer bow is weird. No proc effect, the target just dies. I wouldn't even have noticed it was happening if I hadn't one-shot a reflect knight with 250 damage. It even works on non-heavy undead.

Yeah, the Killer Bow is like Odin in that it doesn't actually care about the target's death immunity, only whether or not it's Heavy. AFAIK, it also doesn't use the normal spell hit determination formula, so it's always a straight 8% to kill on a hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ablative posted:

Late Basch for the pile. First fiesta victory, first FFV clear, first triple crown.

Zantetsuken, motherfuckers.

Counted.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So what's my strat on liquid flame with thief/berserker? Put it in tornado mode and wait until it uses all it's mp then revive the berserkers and kill it?

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

OzFactor posted:

Okay. I'm giving up. Ranger and three Berserkers is just not beating NED. I take back everything I said about Matrix Zerks being better. I'm in the 40s and I've done it twenty times and I have beaten one part once. I can last a little bit longer if I use the lamp right away and ice the back part, but there's just no way at all I'd be able to last a round of the rage timer. So I have to keep it alive. And that means there's just too many things that can one-shot the Ranger. Every Grand Cross is a 2/3 chance of the fight ending right there, every Flare or Holy is death, I am just high level enough to survive Almagest but that means anything else will kill her--like, oh, say poison. She's just not fast enough to keep everybody off the ground, and everybody has to stay off the ground all the time or that's just fewer targets for the back and the front, which is blind but that doesn't seem to affect Vacuum Waves.

This is possible. It's just not possible without taking out some of the one-hit KOs, which means grinding until she has about 2600 HP, which is all the way up to 70. I'm not doing that, not on my phone. I'm going to cheat instead. I'm going to get her Equip Ribbons. I feel like it's still really hard, just slightly less impossible with a Ribbon and Dancer gear.

With a thief and three zerkers, just spamming a fully charged lamp until it stopped doing appreciable damage helped take out various parts. I don't know if it'll work as well with a ranger's speed, but I was in my 40s and it was not happening without the lamp.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

So what's my strat on liquid flame with thief/berserker? Put it in tornado mode and wait until it uses all it's mp then revive the berserkers and kill it?

Yep, this is exactly the strategy I used.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kashuno posted:

Yep, this is exactly the strategy I used.

The Hand form also runs out of MP fairly quickly, so the only real danger eventually becomes the Human form's Blaze.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Yup, and Blaze is percent of max HP and you have the only class who has access to Hi potions at this point in the game, which means it's not really a threat at all.

Axes and hammers are better here, you want big, juicy hits and don't mind missing too much to limit the number of counters you receive.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Simply Simon posted:

My biggest problem was with Necrophobe, actually. Mobile Zerkers obliterate the two barriers in front no problem, but then 'phobe himself is in the first row so they'll always attack his invincible rear end.

That must be another change for the mobile version, because I don't remember berzerkers respecting rows originally.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Schwarzwald posted:

That must be another change for the mobile version, because I don't remember berzerkers respecting rows originally.

Yup, Mobile 'zerkers only target the default (typically front) target every time. It tends to make them more useful basically at every point until the last ten minutes of the game, where they become a horrible liability.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

Yup, Mobile 'zerkers only target the default (typically front) target every time. It tends to make them more useful basically at every point until the last ten minutes of the game, where they become a horrible liability.

:cry:

Necrophobe is not all that bad since the barriers don't have all that much MP. They'll obliterate the first two and then the two behind Necro will only hit you a handful of times before they run out, then you can just sit there and heal up until you're ready to go. He is, of course, literally impossible with Quadzerkers, though.

I had a lot more trouble with Twintania, starting with them dead and trying to time out a phoenix down. My Assassin's Dagger procs were just not happening for some reason. It's weird, in this run I've either been insanely lucky (I got two Reflect Rings to drop in the same fight in the Barrier Tower, for god's sake) or totally unlucky.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

That's Run 2 down

wasn't going to bother with Omega with this team.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
What's the average level to finish this game? I feel like I'm heavily overleveled right now (by necessity) but I was just curious because I've never done a non-fjf run

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Depends on the team. I usually finish around 40 on most teams. If you have a white mage or mystic knight, you can beat it a lot earlier.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

berenzen posted:

Depends on the team. I usually finish around 40 on most teams. If you have a white mage or mystic knight, you can beat it a lot earlier.

My Mystic Knight + Time Mage run ended at 31 with a triple crown (fought Omega legit, quickleaked shinryu), and if it hadn't been my first time playing FFV I probably could have ended it sooner.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kashuno posted:

What's the average level to finish this game? I feel like I'm heavily overleveled right now (by necessity) but I was just curious because I've never done a non-fjf run

My very first playthrough of this game ended somewhere around 40-45. Mind you, that's with doing just about every optional task and rarely running from random encounters.

Most of my Fiesta runs end up somewhere in the early to mid 30s, with Neo-Exdeath usually being the deciding factor. A lot of teams don't care too much about levels in the endgame because of all the powerful gear and abilities you accumulate, but some party compositions have no choice but to grind enough HP for tanking Almagest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sage Grimm posted:

And here's my re-butt-al (Lurdiak!) run, fresh off a vacation day..

Recycling Centerpiece posted:

a butt for the butt pile

Exercu posted:

Did y'all know that Blue mages can stun the Grand Cross part of Ned indefinitely with mind blast? Because blue mages can stun the Grand Cross part of Ned indefinitely with mind blast. Also: A butt.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Thus concludes my second run of the year, #regpopular #fifthjob. Galuf's job was monk. Good riddance.

Twas a butt for Lurdiak...

Fenrir posted:

Run 1 down. Get hosed, Ned.

Junpei Hyde posted:

A Butt has cleared his journey with the help of his friends.

Rynyin posted:

Blue mage and Chemist is so broken

Another butt for the pile!

Man with Hat posted:

I couldn't find out how to make a space on the naming board on the SNES version so I don't know if A-Butt works. I did it anyways, just in case.

Mega64 posted:

Done, and done! No Brave Blade for this team, sadly.

Huzzah! posted:

Another a butt for the a butt pile.

This was a Popular 5th Job run, with Red Mage dying with Galuf. For the best, I might have been crazy enough to grind dual cast twice. Ninja didnt do much, since the rest of the team was so powerful but it was fun. Onto trying the randomizer.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Dragoon / Knight / Berserker / Monk (replacing Ranger as fifth job)

Definitely the most tedious Brave Blade run I've ever had. It's not even eligible for Bad Seafood's Brave Blade challenge since I accidentally ran away from an encounter early on, leaving the weapon perennially at 149 attack power.

Funktastic posted:

Run #2 down. A ridiculously easy run with White mage/Red Mage/Time Mage and Summoner. Quickleaked omega while I was asleep, and shinryu was a joke with both summoner and white mage. Being able to do dualcast and quick was pretty great.

So there's another a butt. What were the classes for the triple crown incentive?

ZiegeDame posted:

Checking in with another butt

Still working on Omega

ZiegeDame posted:

Count this!

Supremezero posted:

And a one

And a two

And a three

Kashuno posted:

a butt for the butt pile

thief/zerk/zerk/zerk turned MKnight with Krile. hard and annoying then really easy

Mustard Iceman posted:

Triple crowned with Knight/Thief/Red Mage/Summoner

Also did the butt incentive:

b

Ayudo posted:

Another triple butt for the butt pile:

Popular run gave me chemist, ninja, dragoon, and redmage. An automatic triple crown with Chemist, but Omega still took a bit of effort to work around wave cannon.

Maybe I'll try a no750 brave blade run next.

Novasol posted:

Geomancer/Black Mage/Red Mage/Freelancer triple crown done.

Look Sharp! posted:

Another butt to the pile.
Three runs down, and each one has Bartz dead at the end.

Poulpe posted:

Thanks! It's not so bad when you hammer down the Algamest chunk asap, and save the last bit for magic lamp Odin to clean up.
All the same thank god for elixirs. Definitely couldn't have won without them.

Make that two! :toot:

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

Well this went fairly smoothly after getting rid of two of my three berserkers:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

One more for the "a butt" pile.

:toxx: :pcgaming: :toxx: :pcgaming: :toxx: :pcgaming:

The promise has been kept! Let me know if I missed someone or miscounted somewhere. There are still 9 spots left for brave "a butt"s to enter the anals, I mean annals, of history. You guys are incredible. This has been a great fiesta so far and I'm glad to have been a small part of it! Let's keep killing NED until we're all broke from donating!

:discourse:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Lurdiak posted:

There are still 9 spots left for brave "a butt"s to enter the anals, I mean annals, of history.

Let's do this, a butt!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Monk, Beastmaster, Black Mage and Berserker team has made it to the rift just before NED, hopefully will have time to beat it tonight.

This has... not been an exceptionally great party, overall. There's been a surprising amount of synergy (Beastmaster, Monk and Berserker trading Equip abilities back and forth, and both Berserker and Beastmaster have great weapons they want !Black6 to boost the power of), and Flame Rings take care of healing, but there's not a lot of raw power here. I took the time to grind out the Chicken Knife, but giving him !Focus takes away my secondary healer, unless I gave it the Monk, but then I'd have to take away him Thor's Hammer, and I think that might actually be a decrease in power ultimately (that and you can't target with !Focus). Plus I like having everyone but the Berserker in the back row. I'll report back on NED when I get there. No Triple Crown with this party unfortunately.

Think I might take a break after and run Popular later in the summer.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

agradine posted:

Monk, Beastmaster, Black Mage and Berserker team has made it to the rift just before NED, hopefully will have time to beat it tonight.

This has... not been an exceptionally great party, overall. There's been a surprising amount of synergy (Beastmaster, Monk and Berserker trading Equip abilities back and forth, and both Berserker and Beastmaster have great weapons they want !Black6 to boost the power of), and Flame Rings take care of healing, but there's not a lot of raw power here. I took the time to grind out the Chicken Knife, but giving him !Focus takes away my secondary healer, unless I gave it the Monk, but then I'd have to take away him Thor's Hammer, and I think that might actually be a decrease in power ultimately (that and you can't target with !Focus). Plus I like having everyone but the Berserker in the back row. I'll report back on NED when I get there. No Triple Crown with this party unfortunately.

Think I might take a break after and run Popular later in the summer.

Why no triple crown? You've got a beastmaster, and that's really all you need. Omega can be !Calmed and releasing a Mammon can be used to berserk Shinryu (and Galajelly can be used to blind Shinryu). You can do it, friendo.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Exercu posted:

Why no triple crown? You've got a beastmaster, and that's really all you need. Omega can be !Calmed and releasing a Mammon can be used to berserk Shinryu (and Galajelly can be used to blind Shinryu). You can do it, friendo.

On Mobile, so !Calm works as intended (which is, not on Omega). Not sure if the releases for Shinryu are blockable but even if it were it would require too much at this point. I'd probably put the work in if Triple Crown were possible, but dragon-but-not-robot always feels like a hollow victory.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I love how all the "worst job" discussions gravitate towards Monk or Dragoon when Red Mage is literally right there.

Red Mage gives other mage classes a nice ability if you grind exactly forever, but they themselves are nothing but a shittier version of whatever mage you already have, except with the "utility" of Raise and Protect.

Raise and Protect don't make up for them having the second-worst stamina in the game, squishier than anything but Dancers, and the rest of their stats are poo poo natively, too - if you get them in a physical team, they're just never doing damage once rodbreaking doesn't solve everything, period. Not even with a chemist boosting their levels to max.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
A lot of times I'd rather have a Red Mage than a Geomancer, simply because Red Mage wrecks the heck out of world 1. If I have jobs that can carry the load in W2 or W3 then I'm totally fine with Red Mage.

Like right now I have Mime/Red/Blue/Knight and it's kind of great because Red Mage served its purpose and the rest can hold me up through the end of the game without me needing to feel like I have to grind for Dualcast.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

KataraniSword posted:

I love how all the "worst job" discussions gravitate towards Monk or Dragoon when Red Mage is literally right there.

Red Mage gives other mage classes a nice ability if you grind exactly forever, but they themselves are nothing but a shittier version of whatever mage you already have, except with the "utility" of Raise and Protect.

Raise and Protect don't make up for them having the second-worst stamina in the game, squishier than anything but Dancers, and the rest of their stats are poo poo natively, too - if you get them in a physical team, they're just never doing damage once rodbreaking doesn't solve everything, period. Not even with a chemist boosting their levels to max.

Red Mage might be the worst job on its own, but it synergizes well with other classes, which is huge in the Fiesta. Monk and Dragoon don't.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ultrafilter posted:

Red Mage might be the worst job on its own, but it synergizes well with other classes, which is huge in the Fiesta. Monk and Dragoon don't.

Geomancer synergizes well with other classes. Other classes synergize well with Red Mage. Red Mage, itself, cannot reap its own benefits. Monk is sort of the same way.

Dragoon, on the other hand, is a lovely island of boring, all alone.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

KataraniSword posted:

Sure, they don't do any damage after W1, but they still have a lot of debuffing options that work in a surprising number of cases. There are very few random encounters in the game that are immune to one or more of Confuse, Frog, Old, Mini, Sleep, and Silence (or Berserk if it would help). Just about everything Human can be Frogged, for example. This also happens to be the case in the Phoenix Tower, so you can walk in there and be totally safe and walk out with a billion dollars if you need it (especially if you Steal from everything after you Frog them). It's certainly the case that a lot of threats in the game can just be smashed in the face before they can hurt you, but when you have a party that can't do that, Red's flexibility is pretty helpful.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

double protect, double raise, and rod breaking are all very strong. Dualcast -ra spells are better direct offense than you can expect out of a lot of classes, notably dragoon and pre-chicken dancer.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Dragoons are good for like... jumping over Omega if you have to (reflect Search fun) and... um... Equip Lances (just kidding you can't have both Lances and Jump on any standard class, not that you'd want to)...

Actually the best thing about them is they can equip shields and aren't terrible squishy (mid stats, bad magic). I'd say Chicken Knife but usually the extra time just isn't worth it.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I definitely think those four (Monk, Red Mage, Geomancer & Dragoon) probably represent the worst classes in a FJF, and it's fairly fitting that there's one for each crystal. Berserker probably rounds out a "bottom 5" but for all of its flaws, it's still considerably effective on its own, while the other four aren't. I think any one of those four are fairly party-dependant and could be considered the "worst" depending on what else you draw.

Monk is the physical early bloomer class. They're incredibly effective in World 1 then fall off a cliff unless you over-level, and even that doesn't help you out for too long. They have the highest HP and the highest Strength, so there's way to make them a little more effective, but they still lag behind as a physical damage dealer. High HP makes them a fairly good secondary support skill user, and with the right classes (Bard & Chemist) can actually be very effective on their own.

Red Mage is the magical early bloomer. It's hard to scoff at -ra level spells, rod-breaking and heal-staff using, but all of this kind of falls off fairly early on in World 2. There are other classes who love !Dualcast but if you don't have the proper class they don't have much to offer. They make decently effective !Dance-users, especially if you can get a Lamia Tiara to drop for them, but in general they're very dependent on having the proper other classes to support.

Geomancer has the extremely conditionally-useful !Gaia and make a few dungeons much less of a headache (but then, so does Time Mage). !Gaia is hard to recommend overall, as there are too many situations where their effects are either ineffective or heal the enemies/bosses of a specific area, but come in handy in a few particularly difficult bosses (see: Byblos). They can't equip rods or staves so they don't even make great back-up casters, though the Gaia Gear and Air Knife make them fairly effective mid-and-late-game secondary summoners, if nothing else. Possibly the worst overall class on its own, but has its rare corner cases of effectiveness.

Dragoon is probably the most effective of the four classes overall, but is still one of the least powerful physical classes with a terrible weapon set and worse synergy. !Jump can get around telegraphed attacks (or attacks you otherwise know are coming via AI), which can make them pretty effective Blue Mages or mini-Chemists (with either !Mix or even !Revive in some strats) but they don't have much to offer anyone else and don't really benefit from other abilities. !Jump is at least a way around the Chicken Knife's !Flee? Probably the least "bad" of the four classes but definitely the most boring.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think it's telling that in my two Fiesta runs, I've had at least one of those classes. Will I go for a hat trick and roll Dragoon next time? Only myself or God knows.

(I love spears though so I wouldn't mind Dragoon. Just a personal bias of mine)

derra
Dec 29, 2012

OzFactor posted:

Sure, they don't do any damage after W1, but they still have a lot of debuffing options that work in a surprising number of cases. There are very few random encounters in the game that are immune to one or more of Confuse, Frog, Old, Mini, Sleep, and Silence (or Berserk if it would help). Just about everything Human can be Frogged, for example. This also happens to be the case in the Phoenix Tower, so you can walk in there and be totally safe and walk out with a billion dollars if you need it (especially if you Steal from everything after you Frog them). It's certainly the case that a lot of threats in the game can just be smashed in the face before they can hurt you, but when you have a party that can't do that, Red's flexibility is pretty helpful.

This so hard. Listen to this wise man. A Red Mage with an Ancient Sword and a Power Staff is amazing. If they had Blind access they would be one of the best classes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If Red Mage had access to magic one level higher they'd be golden.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Journey of the Quadzerker: Part IV

The forest was a drag so I went to grind in the ruins, it was surprisingly musical...

After Thief Knife'ing enough Angel Rings and Flame Shields near the healing pot, I moved to the Pyramid and set up my autopilot...

♫ Goin' to the temple and we're ♫ Gonna knife a blue dude ♫

I love the number 74 because I'm a hockey nerd and John Carlson owns...

Brawn vs. brawn...

Brains vs. luck...

Next time: Getting tablets for no reason.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dragoons are really good at being a hoss that doesn't die. Dragoon with Aegis, Thornlet, Bonemail and Protect Ring can shrug off a lot of poo poo. Even better if you're facing something that can be neutered with Ice/Flame Shield. Perfect for every situation, useful on the level of say, Blue Mage? Absolutely not. I'd rate them above average.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

need some advice
whats the best equip loadout for NED with Mime Triple Zerk
for whatever it matters, everyone is level 81, and uh, obviously has both classes mastered
GBA version so no magic underflow (though I could make this happen with some questionable legality)
(the legality isnt questionable, it would be cheating, tbh)

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Dragoons are really good at being a hoss that doesn't die. Dragoon with Aegis, Thornlet, Bonemail and Protect Ring can shrug off a lot of poo poo. Even better if you're facing something that can be neutered with Ice/Flame Shield. Perfect for every situation, useful on the level of say, Blue Mage? Absolutely not. I'd rate them above average.

Dragoons are absolutely below average but they can equip Aegis Shields, reliably damage Omega with Trident Jumps, can murder Shinryu / Grand Cross with the Dragon Lance, and can jump Tidal Wave and Almagest, which puts them above Samurai, Berserker, Knight, Thief, Geo, and Monk for me (in order from best to worst IMO). If you don't care about the Triple Crown yeah they're boring.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Bregor posted:

Brains vs. luck...

Next time: Getting tablets for no reason.
Noice. How long did that take? Neat to see it's possible below 90ish (I never did run the numbers).

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 28, 2017

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What chaps my hide is how if you use !Jump then they're no longer doing their job of tanking. Dragoons don't even synergize with themselves.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Doom Goon posted:

Noice. How long did that take? Neat to see it's possible below 90ish (I never did run the numbers).

Not that long, actually. About 15 minutes of holding down fast forward, realizing the RNG wouldn't do it, attempting to run, rinse and repeat. Only equipping Mage Masher/Hermes gives all three Zerks a bunch of swings before Silence wears off and you just need one proc to reapply. Just had to get my head around it, since most of the time with physical classes I just run him out of MP.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

That's great. Much less painful than I thought!

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

so I feel like I'm using goblin punch wrong. I have my blue mage equipped with the chicken knife and it is currently maxed out at 127, but I deal 0 damage with goblin punch. Am I missing something?

• Locked thread