Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
what the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe5pNcGhprA

How quaint.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The Rat posted:

Thanks, glad you like them. Definitely wasn't easy, especially doing both of those hikes in the same day. Today the fronts of my thighs feel massively sore, but strangely enough not the squatting muscles. Guess the downhill wore me out more than the uphill, which is surprising.

You hike a shitton, so I'm surprised it surprises you. Slowing yourself and keeping your footing while going downhill has always resulted in more sore muscles the day after for me than most other things, not counting dumb military marches.

/edit

In hiking-related news, I might not make it up to Humphrey's peak at all, unless I get a job and get to stay here.
I've had two and a half loving years to get my rear end up there, and every time I planned, or tried, either surgeries or cases of tendonitis hosed my poo poo up. :mad:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 27, 2017

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
No photos unfortunately (opsec lol) but we happened to be using the range the same day as the FBI and one of the instructors let me shoot his MP5. :catstare:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I shot one at a range in Vegas and I don't know what they cost the FBI but they are worth every penny.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I shot one at a police "explorers" program in Alabama like 20 years ago or something and it was a shitton of fun. We also abseiled off of their SWAT training tower and did a whole bunch of other fun stuff.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You hike a shitton, so I'm surprised it surprises you. Slowing yourself and keeping your footing while going downhill has always resulted in more sore muscles the day after for me than most other things, not counting dumb military marches.

/edit

In hiking-related news, I might not make it up to Humphrey's peak at all, unless I get a job and get to stay here.
I've had two and a half loving years to get my rear end up there, and every time I planned, or tried, either surgeries or cases of tendonitis hosed my poo poo up. :mad:

Honestly I've never encountered that steep of a downhill for such a prolonged time/distance before. Usually on downhills I'm lengthening my stride and letting gravity do the work for me. Like you say, slowing down my steps and paying attention is probably what did it for this soreness.

Feels good though.

Also ayyy did someone say MP5 :haw:

YOU STUPID loving GERMANS WHY DIDN'T YOU PUT A BOLT HOLD OPEN ON LAST ROUND FIRED ON THIS

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Every time The Rat posts, the need to leave New York (again) grows a little stronger. :negative:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've shot a few full autos.

MP5K: The muzzle blast burns your knuckles a little and it kicks sharper than most other subguns.

Uzi: Recoil is more of a gentle push than a kick. Super controllable and comfortable.

Sten Mk. V: So easy to shoot it's almost cheating, and with a nice aperture sight.

Thompson: Heavy enough to mitigate the recoil of a .45, but still kicks just enough to be entertaining.

AKM: Batters the crap out of your shoulder if you don't slip on a rubber buttpad.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
If HK could go ahead and start selling MR556A1 uppers again, that'd be super neat.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Naked Bear posted:

Every time The Rat posts, the need to leave New York (again) grows a little stronger. :negative:

What's worth staying in NY for? I've been through and none of the state or city grabbed me at all.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The Rat posted:

What's worth staying in NY for? I've been through and none of the state or city grabbed me at all.

THE GREATEST CITY ON EARTH

(experience may vary)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Not a whole lot, really. I should have stayed in Washington when I got out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

THE GREATEST CITY ON EARTH

(experience may vary)

NYC is the only place I've ever seen someone taking a poo poo on the sidewalk in daylight in full view of plenty of other people.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You're already stomping the altitude of any mountain in NY just living in the Rockies, almost every mountain in the Appalachians.

I'm sure the Adirondacks are nice and the Finger Lakes and whatnot. But I'm also sure that southern Alaska is amazing too, and has lax gun laws and no lyme disease.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hows Vermont?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I loved Vermont for the week I was there.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

From what I've seen of Vermont, it ain't half bad. I'd strongly consider it if I could find a well-playing software job there.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Hey Rat, I want to sign up to do a 3 gun. Do you have a 3 gun for dummy's guide? What's a cheap gun belt/holster/mag holster to invest in?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hrm, I'm not much good for a basic setup since I'm using old gear left over from contracting. I don't even have any shotgun shell carriage on my kit. However it seems like the double belts are pretty popular, along with the standard pouches and holsters from companies like Bladetech and the like.

I'd honestly say to just show up with what you have now, even if it's just a holster. Run your reloads out of your pockets if need be. Check out what other guys are using and ask questions. Most guys love going on about their guns and gear, and most of them are always friendly and ready to help new shooters. No reason to be intimidated about going without the right gear. Anywhere between 1/3 to 1/2 of my local match is guys who are still pretty new and experimenting with what they like gear-wise. I've seen several guys show up with 26" barrel, short tube hunting shotguns and other such basic equipment.

Showing up is the hardest part. The rest is gravy from there. Lots of guys, when I invite them, give excuses like "oh I'm not good enough yet." That's like saying "I'm not going to the gym until I get in shape," showing up and learning is how you get good. The only person you should be worried about competing against and beating is yourself, last match.

What sort of guns are you planning on running?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I'm planning on using my Glock 19, a 16 inch frankenrifle with a Burris XTR 1-4, and a 24 inch Mossberg 930 JM Pro.

But thanks for confirming my battle belt with some old mag pouches and dump pouch for my shells isn't that stupid of a set up.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah nah, you don't have to show up with a slick spandex jersey covered with sponsors and top of the line gear. Just show up, be safe and have fun!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

Yeah nah, you don't have to show up with a slick spandex jersey covered with sponsors and top of the line gear. Just show up, be safe and have fun!

Are beginners allowed to use pocket sand or is it an advanced maneuver?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You know what I just might build that into a stage for next month's 3-gun match. :unsmigghh:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

Got those parts I was waiting on, and the scope for my 16" gun.

What are your thoughts on the SMR Mk8 on the main gun?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It's solid as hell and I really dig it. It does have a slightly wider profile in the hand than the Mk14, but it's still totally acceptable and usable.

Geissele is having that blem sale right now in case you're looking to buy one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yes. Yes they are.

What about compared to the VTAC Alpha you used to have on there?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The VTAC has a slimmer profile, but the Geissele in general feels more solid. That seems to be what testing has borne out as well according to some posts on m4c that I read a while back. Less movement, so less possible deviation for optics mounted on there.

Also the install is stupid easy. Torque the barrel nut on to 40 inch lbs, job done. No need to align any teeth on the barrel nut or anything like that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kaliber posted:

I'm planning on using my Glock 19, a 16 inch frankenrifle with a Burris XTR 1-4, and a 24 inch Mossberg 930 JM Pro.

But thanks for confirming my battle belt with some old mag pouches and dump pouch for my shells isn't that stupid of a set up.

Holster-wise, I'd say just grab a cheap kydex or Fobus holster that uses passive retention. You don't need to do anything harder than yanking the gun out and it'll stay secure for running around.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

A local FFL found on gunbroker posted:

I am an attorney with an office two blocks from the St. Louis County Courthouse in Clayton. I enjoy firearms, and I enjoy meeting other enthusiasts and helping them with their acquisitions. I can also help you with your divorce. I do not wish divorce on anyone, and no connection between firearms and divorce is implied, although my wife may have a different opinion.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

They'll never divorce you... Because of the implication

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I don't own any OWB holster and I was looking at this.

https://www.bravoconcealment.com/collections/all-products/products/owb-kydex-gun-holster-combo-bca?variant=6238350785

$70 with a double mag holster, I got a single so that should be 3 total on my belt. And I have a few molle mag pouches. I only really need one or two right?

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 5, 2017

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, that should be totally fine to get you started. Once you've been to your local match a few times, you'll have a better idea of what the gear/ammo carriage requirements are and can upgrade properly from there.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

http://i.imgur.com/gTt2tER.gifv

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
drat California and their one round mag limit.

That is some quick reloading.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I wonder if anyone that has done mag drills like that has accidentally done that in combat. Shoot two rounds out of a full mag then immediately reload from muscle memory

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I can only imagine that drilling like that would not instill good habits (I know, it's for games and poo poo). Perhaps a better drill would be to have someone else load your mags with an unknown number of rounds and/or dummy rounds.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Naked Bear posted:

have someone else load your mags with an unknown number of rounds and/or dummy rounds.
That's a good way to see if you have a flinching problem.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, olympic type pistol match coaches, 5 shots in 6 minutes type events, will throw in a dummy round here and there to see what happens. It's a good training technique for anything that goes bang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Mad Dragon posted:

That's a good way to see if you have a flinching problem.

Yeah, I developed a flinch for some reason a few years back and loading up dummy rounds or spent rounds (in a revolver, don't do this in a semi-auto) is a great way to discover it and fix it.