Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The worst custom map that I've played so far was some kind of non eucladian city that appeared to be made out of foam Legos and cheese. It was surreal wandering around the maze like buildings just trying to figure out what's going on.

Don't make your map out of LOD assets, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You get footage or a name?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Dvsilverwing posted:

Has anyone seen/played a custom map yet? I'm pretty sure the servers that say they have custom maps just allow a weird 64 man clusterfuck version of the 16 man Skirmish maps included with the base game.

The only good custom map I've played so far is the SongMu one. Its close range very foggy with a lot of bushes & trees. The converted SU to TE maps however are kinda badly done. The 'enemy territory' zones are huge and very close to the cap points which makes it really drat hard to do any sort of flanking so poo poo bogs down.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You get footage or a name?

It's VNTE-DaKrong_v1. For whatever reason RO stores downloaded maps in format that I can't load through the console, and I can't find it on google.

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude
Evidently I'm at autistic levels of commanding this game, but this piece of poo poo game keeps crashing my entire computer at random times during gameplay. No amount of workarounds, config fixes, etc seem to help it. I haven't seen anybody else with this specific crashing issue and I'm about to just throw in the towel.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Hey, the OP mentions mumble, but I couldn't figure out how to play with goons. Do we have a server or anything?

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Spiderjelly posted:

Hey, the OP mentions mumble, but I couldn't figure out how to play with goons. Do we have a server or anything?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796734

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Spiderjelly posted:

There's no server for the mumble goons. Just connect to mumble and see if anyone is in the rising storm channel, and then add them on steam.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Do kills near the end of the round not count? That seems like quite an oversight...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There is a dedicated, 60 tick server running only this map.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

turn off the TV posted:

I played that yesterday on a mixed user made server. Second best of what I played.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Do you have a server name for me?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I got the achievement for killing an enemy with an aircraft i shot down just now. I have no idea how! I guess that one time i shot my buckshot loaded baikal at a passing cobra in impotent rage was enough?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hotfix is out.

Fixes a few crash issues and lets the game properly use ram if you have over 6gb. Should fix any stuttering you have ingame.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

turn off the TV posted:

We train young men to drop hot caramel on people, but their patisseries won't allow them to write "FUDGE" on their airplanes because it's obscene

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The M-14 is the best gun in the game. Want proof?

I'm pretty sure its counting arti/spooky/napalm commander 'hits'

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Commoners posted:

We train young men to drop hot caramel on people, but their patisseries won't allow them to write "FUDGE" on their airplanes because it's obscene

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Ah man my favorite server hasn't put votekick back in after it being abused now tons of hackers

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

This made me laugh for some reason

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Someone has remade Ia Drang
http://imgur.com/a/kLcYb

Looks good.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Is there any word of a campaign mode? That was one of the main draws of RO2/RS for me. I know Vietnam was not that type of war, so maybe they could change it up a bit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Got into this recently and I'm slowly getting better. Been trying to find people on the mumble but there aren't many people present during EU time usually. If there are any EU goons that want to team up, let me know.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I ran into a group of 3 us dudes with a grenade primed and they all tried to melee me but ending up beating each other to death

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

They were just saving each other from being torn apart by the grenade. Noble, imho.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

My best moment in this game was ending up in a tunnel behind enemy lines in Cu Chi, running out of ammo for my AK, putting on my bayonet and skewering four americans from behind before someone noticed me and killed me.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ganglysumbia posted:

Is there any word of a campaign mode? That was one of the main draws of RO2/RS for me. I know Vietnam was not that type of war, so maybe they could change it up a bit.

I'd kill for any kinda good persistent game like this.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I ran out of ammo while among the enemy in their trenches so I just said gently caress it and followed one guy as close as I could everywhere he went. Eventually someone noticed me and shot me, but not before TKing the guy I was following.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Dvsilverwing posted:

Generally this gets answered fast but babby arguments in the thread probably clogged it up a bit. If you join the CTS Mumble we have a channel that's usually active at later times in the day for NA and also some eurogoons that play on NA servers anyway during the day (ping hasn't had a huge affect on my gameplay in any of the RO/RS games) as long as it's a US East server. There is a Discord for the game but I've not used it, so I can't really speak on whether or not it's frequently active.

The gameplay is vastly different, it takes almost all the gameplay and mechanics from RO2/RS1 for the most part, just with a Vietnam theme. The only other thing I'd argue is comparable is maybe the Vietnam maps from Project Reality.

Has anyone seen/played a custom map yet? I'm pretty sure the servers that say they have custom maps just allow a weird 64 man clusterfuck version of the 16 man Skirmish maps included with the base game.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

As for the whole racism thing, I've only encountered that once so far, having put maybe 15 hours into the game. And amusingly enough it was a dude with a super thick southern accent who came on and told them to quote "quit being racist shithogs, idiots."

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
I hope some BF:V maps get made. Like Operation Hastings, Quang Tri & Ho Chi Minh Trail.

The napalm is so good at clearing out buildings and entrenched positions. A quick blast of napalm and listen to the screams.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Got into this recently and I'm slowly getting better. Been trying to find people on the mumble but there aren't many people present during EU time usually. If there are any EU goons that want to team up, let me know.

I play on the 40-1 UK servers often. They are usually full and admins are playing a lot too.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Game still kicks rear end. Lots of new custom maps too which have mostly been pretty good. Best $20 shooter ever (that's more like a $60 shooter if only it had more maps)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Song Be is such a lovely map. There's no where to land that's safe and if the RPG enemies are even half good there's basically no relatively safe area. At least An Loa Valley is bigger so they can't cover everything.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Tekopo posted:

Song Be is such a lovely map. There's no where to land that's safe and if the RPG enemies are even half good there's basically no relatively safe area. At least An Loa Valley is bigger so they can't cover everything.

by the time everyone found this out it was the beta and they didn't have the money to bin the map and restart by then.

The other killer is that it's right in the corner of the fly-zone so you can't bugger off the edge of the map to escape or line up attack runs like in an lao.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Tekopo posted:

You have to have guys roving in the woods near your potential LZs to clear them out. Most people just clump up uselessly in the points and have no map control against the tunnels all over the loving place, so the hueys just get hosed by the Vietnamese since they have no security for landing.

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude
I don't even know why An Lao is well-liked tbh. Since most teams don't seem to have competent RPG gunners the helos can pretty much run rough-shod onto B if your attack advances to say E.

Or maybe I just suck and my team sucks

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Medlar posted:

I don't even know why An Lao is well-liked tbh. Since most teams don't seem to have competent RPG gunners the helos can pretty much run rough-shod onto B if your attack advances to say E.

Or maybe I just suck and my team sucks

I've noticed it as well, during the beta it became a contest because the chopper pilots and the dshk/rpg men all knew what they were doing. Now the chopper pilots are still around but the rpgs/dshks have all buggered off and you can barely get a spawn tunnel outside of the cave without it being blown up in under 30 seconds by a cobra.

in other news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhQg87uBG3A a recon plane landed on a loach on hamburger hill, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2-2bLATVGAthe f4 basically kamikaze'd napalm onto the map

protip for wannabe youtubers - don't post on /r/rs2vietnam, it doesn't get any views

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The problem with helicopters that I've been noticing is that they're usually either a massive pain in the rear end or totally worthless. Since the Dshks are in fixed locations you wind up with pilots and gunners who will shoot them through the trees from across the map, and if the helicopters stay low enough the only way for the VN to reliably kill them is to wait for them to land. Because of this you get people camping the landing spots, which fucks over bad pilots even more.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

turn off the TV posted:

Because of this you get people camping the landing spots...

Hi there!

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Maybe it's the servers I always play on but when I'm playing on the Vietnamese side, the choppers destroy us because nobody ever shoots at them. The team relies solely on the RPG guys and don't fire until the GIs unload from the aircraft. It's like they have no idea small arms can hurt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hamlet442 posted:

Maybe it's the servers I always play on but when I'm playing on the Vietnamese side, the choppers destroy us because nobody ever shoots at them. The team relies solely on the RPG guys and don't fire until the GIs unload from the aircraft. It's like they have no idea small arms can hurt them.

People probably are shooting at them, but unless you manage to kill the pilot you probably aren't going to do anything to a helicopter other than make it go land for repairs, which is why people camp the landing zones. Coordinating well enough to actually shoot down helicopters with small arms is just not something that a server full of random people is ever going to do.

• Locked thread