Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Phanatic posted:

I am absolutely not. I can't be clearer about this: the company should comply with the terms of the contract it signed.

Actually you could be clearer, because currently you're completely full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://www.airlive.net/news-china-s...ce-at-shanghai/

quote:

A female passenger threw some coins into the aircraft’s engine before boarding a China Southern Airlines flight, which delayed the flight for over four hours at the Pudong International Airport.

The Airbus 320 (reg. B-6702) with Flight CZ380 from Shanghai Pudong to Guangzhou was scheduled to take off at 12:40pm and arrive in Guangzhou at 3:05pm but was delayed for a thorough inspection on its engine.

The woman, surnamed Qiu, 80, threw some coins into the engine when she was about to board the aircraft to “wish a safe flight.”

The passengers who already boarded were then asked to get off and mechanics had to check whether there are remaining coins in the engine.

Mechanics finished the inspection at around 4:50pm and found one coin in and eight around the engine, with a total value of 1.7 yuan.

Probably made this sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKPTWXD2Z0

Edit:

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Actually you could be clearer, because currently you're completely full of poo poo.

Where in the hell did I say the company shouldn't comply with the contract?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 27, 2017

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

Where in the hell did I say the company shouldn't comply with the contract?

Can you guys take your slapfight to PMs or something?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Can you guys take your slapfight to PMs or something?

No this is the OSHA, collective bargaining, and personal insult thread

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phanatic posted:

And "allegedly" bad? There's no dispute that he falsified maintenance records for essential safety equipment, from either side of the dispute. In other words, it's not an allegation that he did that. I don't think that "allegedly" qualifier belongs there.

Yes, at the time he was fired he was "allegedly bad". Practically any time something happens on the spot it's based on allegations, you only find out if they're actually true or not once people finish arguing it out.
The whole point of procedures about termination is that the company has to prove that you're actually bad instead of just sacking you on the spot and putting the burden of proof on you to prove them wrong, while in the meantime having no source of income.

Note that practically every CBA ever is totally fine with the company putting someone on an emergency suspension to get them off the job site, while the company gets its ducks in a row and goes through the actual proper agreed-upon termination process.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Anything involving toothpicks is OSHA as gently caress. I recently spent a grand total of $450 on medical bills after stepping into one and having the tip break off in the ball of my foot.

Hah, that reminds me of some decades long high school OSHA, courtesy of my dad. He used to coach wrestling back in the 70s, and used to tell me a story when I was a kid about the time he slid across the bench to yell instructions at one of his wrestlers, only to end up with a splinter the length of his hand stuck deep in his left rear end cheek. Some 20 years later, he sits down at the breakfast table and yelps. Says it felt like he sat on a splinter, but can't see any poke marks. A couple of days later, it hurts badly enough that he goes to the doctor. tl;dr, they surgically remove the last 1/2" of wood out of his rear end, where it's been living in a cyst capsule, happy as wood in a man's rear end can be, just waiting for the day he would sit wrong and reintroduce it to his immune system.

They let him bring the splinter home in a jar.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Deteriorata posted:

No, the rational response would have been to follow the proper procedures per the CBA.

One of the main reason unions exist is to prevent arbitrary and capricious actions by employers. Defending one guy who deserved to be fired is what they have to do to be sure they can protect the next 100 guys who don't deserve to be fired.

You may not be wrong.

But that reminds me of a job I worked 30 years ago where some rear end in a top hat was stealing change out of the coffee jar in the break room. We had a thing back then where you were supposed to toss in a nickel or dime or something if you got coffee out of the pot. Someone was stealing the change. HR put a camera out and caught the guy who did it. The union helped him beat the rap (even though he was clearly guilty) and instead of getting fired, he was made the union rep for our location.

When people find it perplexing why Americans don't wholeheartedly embrace unions, it's this kind of poo poo.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Hah, that reminds me of some decades long high school OSHA, courtesy of my dad. He used to coach wrestling back in the 70s, and used to tell me a story when I was a kid about the time he slid across the bench to yell instructions at one of his wrestlers, only to end up with a splinter the length of his hand stuck deep in his left rear end cheek. Some 20 years later, he sits down at the breakfast table and yelps. Says it felt like he sat on a splinter, but can't see any poke marks. A couple of days later, it hurts badly enough that he goes to the doctor. tl;dr, they surgically remove the last 1/2" of wood out of his rear end, where it's been living in a cyst capsule, happy as wood in a man's rear end can be, just waiting for the day he would sit wrong and reintroduce it to his immune system.

That's awesome. Hell, if that happened to me, that jar would be going up on the mantle holy poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

Of note:

The check he omitted was a remote function check. And it turns out, the fans did operate when commanded to. It seems pretty unlikely to me that that test would have revealed the fault that led to the fan's ultimate failure.

There's a fire, someone dies, the management finds someone who had violated a regulation (that management had previously shown itself equally willing to flout) and offers them up as a sacrifice on the altar of Being Seen To Be Doing Something.

That excerpt makes it sound like it may even have been an honest mistake.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Platystemon posted:

That excerpt makes it sound like it may even have been an honest mistake.

Yeah, the headline basically starts at "Metro forced to hire back union worker who got people killed". Then the story goes to "he lied about maintenance, but they eventually found out it didn't kill people" then to "management pressured him to check a box before he knew what was happening, so he caved and then they scapegoated him for it".

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bacon Taco posted:

You may not be wrong.

But that reminds me of a job I worked 30 years ago where some rear end in a top hat was stealing change out of the coffee jar in the break room. We had a thing back then where you were supposed to toss in a nickel or dime or something if you got coffee out of the pot. Someone was stealing the change. HR put a camera out and caught the guy who did it. The union helped him beat the rap (even though he was clearly guilty) and instead of getting fired, he was made the union rep for our location.

When people find it perplexing why Americans don't wholeheartedly embrace unions, it's this kind of poo poo.

That's neither theft from the employer nor relating to his job performance. Same poo poo happens in literally every school but teachers are not clamoring to kill their union.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, the headline basically starts at "Metro forced to hire back union worker who got people killed". Then the story goes to "he lied about maintenance, but they eventually found out it didn't kill people" then to "management pressured him to check a box before he knew what was happening, so he caved and then they scapegoated him for it".

I appreciate that people will just read the headline and then link the article to support their point even though the contents say otherwise. It's funny how actual reporting of unions show how they're doing their job properly and unverifiable hearsay about unions are about how they're terrible.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 27, 2017

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Zesty posted:

I appreciate that people will just read the headline and then link the article to support their point even though the contents say otherwise. It's funny how actual reporting of unions show how they're doing their job properly and unverifiable hearsay about unions are about how they're terrible.

Currently trying to unionize the grad students at my University. Dealing with this poo poo is so stressful -- the University's main method to stifle support is to muddy the waters with threatening hypotheticals. Sometimes it's just flat out lies though; they're adamant that international students will lose their F-1 visas during a strike. So we have 40% of the student population worried they're going to get deported.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Zesty posted:

i just considered that 30 years ago a camera system would have been enough cash to pay for employee coffee for years.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That's neither theft from the employer nor relating to his job performance. Same poo poo happens in literally every school but teachers are not clamoring to kill their union.

You missed my point that Petty rear end in a top hat Thief was made Local Union Rep after his petty crime. That's the problem.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Zesty posted:

Like so many things, the good stuff flies under the radar while the worst examples are the ones that make national headlines.

Hell, I'd argue that the time when most people hear about unions nowadays is when one professional sports players union or another is arguing on behalf of someone who has already been found guilty in the court of public opinion, with interspersed stories of corruption in large unions that occasionally pop up.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Bacon Taco posted:

You missed my point that Petty rear end in a top hat Thief was made Local Union Rep after his petty crime. That's the problem.

To be fair, this is sometimes a punishment...

My mother-in-law is a custodian for a high school and has been the local custodian union rep for the past 6 or 7 years solely because no one else wants the job because it means you have to deal with a whole bunch of extra bullshit and, as far as I know, not get paid extra for it. She's been desperately trying to get someone else to do it for years.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bacon Taco posted:

Why was it a problem? Did he make a poor union rep?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OooooWEEEEEEE I did not mean to start this unions good vs. unions bad slapfight. The only reason I said "the union guys" in my post about the maintenance workers falsifying their report was because that's literally all I know them as. I don't know whether it's the plumbers or the HVAC guys or what but there is one specific union that's allowed to maintain this device and so they were the guys who came in (or rather, didn't) to do it. The fact that they are part of a union IMO has no bearing on whether they're lying about doing their jobs.

Unions, like all modern organizations, have good features and bad ones, but in a choice between "work takes longer to get done and costs more" and "people are incinerated while chained inside a burning factory" I know which one I'm gonna pick

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 27, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I almost got an rear end splinter butt my school uniformed stopped it. That's my non butt splinter story.

They really should make sure old rear end wooden benches are sanded down to a nice finish.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I always tip my union rep at least 20% unless their chili had beans in it

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
A nine-year-old child suffered injuries including second-degree burns after the plastic playground slide he slid down exploded, and nobody knows why it happened.

https://patch.com/wisconsin/greenfield/playground-slide-explodes-injures-9-year-old-boy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Water or weird plastic chemicals trapped between layers of the slide that heated up and burst?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

We get it, you love unions regardless of how worthless or corrupt they are. Can we get back to stupid people injuring themselves now?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
I remember one time someone came out to test the safety showers that my employer was renting to our client and 3/4 failed to work and the one that did work was 60 degrees Celsius. in response to this no one did anything and we somehow still have contracts with that client today three years later

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well, we all understand how powerful the placebo effect is.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

We get it, you love unions regardless of how worthless or corrupt they are. Can we get back to stupid people injuring themselves now?

a thread about how failing to follow government regulations results in horrific accidents time and time again doesnt seem like the best place for the gbs libertarian dipshit shtick

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I'm the rainbow mocking you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mozi posted:

Well, we all understand how powerful the placebo effect is.

I don't understand the placebo effect, but I fool myself into thinking I do, because I expect to understand it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IueMdK9I4Qg

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Venuz Patrol posted:

a thread about how failing to follow government regulations results in horrific accidents time and time again doesnt seem like the best place for the gbs libertarian dipshit shtick

I think your knee just jerked right off there. Nothing libertarian in that post.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 28, 2017

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KezvwARhBIc

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

I think your knee just jerked right off there. Nothing libertarian in that post.

Right, you don't have to be libertarian to be virulently anti-union, just really evil.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

BgRdMchne posted:

Right, you don't have to be libertarian to be virulently anti-union, just really evil.

Surprise, you don't have either love unions or hate them. You can actually think some do some good and some suck. Less small-minded hardline bullshit, more osha. Or UHF videos. Those are pretty great too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ChesterJT posted:

Surprise, you don't have either love unions or hate them. You can actually think some do some good and some suck. Less small-minded hardline bullshit, more osha. Or UHF videos. Those are pretty great too.

This is my "Operation" playstyle

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

ChesterJT posted:

I like how the beams appear to look backwards, as if somebody pushed them into knocking over molten metal.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Steelworker Simulator 2017 looks fun

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Azhais posted:

This is my "Operation" playstyle

Same, but "Mousetrap"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.