Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

nopants posted:

did the girl find the penny before or after we first saw the woodsman that looked suspiciously like abraham lincoln?

Funny thing about the actor who played that woodsman like 80% of his 10ish acting credits on IMDb are Abraham Lincoln.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

The nuke (and I mean the concept, not just the one nuke we saw) is the mother in the same way that the telephone pole is the arm (or the arm's doppelganger).

Also, arguments using time to disprove the nuke's possible relationship with the lodge are unfounded, because the lodge world exists outside of our world's time.

Edit: Continuing the first point, the invention of the nuke could be interpreted as the most important event in shaping the world, or at least America, afterward. BOB seems to be created as a response, and he tends to be the incarnation of modern evils (drugs, sexual violence). Just as the nuke creates the modern world and all its evils, the mother created BOB.

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 27, 2017

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i refuse to not interpret the Nine Inch Nails performance as being directly responsible for doppelgänger Coop getting back up

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

This poo poo is so loving crazy and esoteric at this point. Here's an interesting rabbit hole I just found myself in:

It's from page 14 of Twin Peaks: An Access Guide to the Town. Published during the original run.

Led me here:
http://native-american-totems.com/elemental-influences/the-frog-clan/

quote:

"The Frog Clan belongs to the element of Water. The Medicine of Frog is “Cleansing.” People of the Frog Clan have deep and easily flowing feelings which allow them to bring fresh new feelings into any given project flushing away stalemates or obstacles. Water is an element for healing and Frog Clan people have a natural gift for healing. They possess an empathy towards others. They are often very creative souls. At times when they try to hold back these feelings, emotions and energies; they will experience illnesses associated with being bloated or lumpy. They are refreshed, calmed, and soothed by being around water. Frog people have a responsibility to protect our waters from pollution and to show appreciation for rain. Frog Clan people also have a responsibility to Grandmother Moon. The Moon helps govern our emotions and Frog Clan people should get to know what knowledge and power Grandmother Moon holds."

quote:

"In Native American astrology, much as in traditional astrology, Water represents our feelings and emotions, while Air represents our mind and ability to detach. When Totem exists from dual worlds (frog) and must exist in both worlds to live; there is a special message for us as we observe these Animal brothers and sisters."

https://whatismyspiritanimal.com/spirit-totem-power-animal-meanings/amphibians-reptiles/frog-symbolism-and-meaning/

quote:

In one example of folk traditions, Shamans used Frogs for curing coughs. The Shaman would put a Frog in an ailing person’s mouth, recite sacred words, then command the Frog to “hop away” with the sickness (this is a type of disease transference). That is how we come by the phrase, “a Frog in my throat.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir8s6IGq2Hs
"This is the water, and this is the well
Drink full, and descend
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within"

And also reminded me of the scene above the convenience store from FWWM Missing Pieces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASdmYsbW-cY
"The chrome reflects our image.
From pure air, we have descended,
from pure air.
Going up and down.
Intercourse between the two worlds"

"The Electrician" from that scene also says "Animal life."

Would be rad to get a better source than Angelfire and crystal web pages on Native American Frog Clan lore.

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 27, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Jesus, so no one's going to talk about how the a-bomb raped the desert, huh?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Jesus, so no one's going to talk about how the a-bomb raped the desert, huh?
It was very toxic.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

Unless you're reading between the lines a bunch, this doesn't happen in that scene.

I just assumed it was so heavily implied that we were meant to take the meaning that BOB was also abusing/using her sexually in that scene with all the kissing and that if it'd been shown on HBO or something, it probably would have been a more directly explicit re-creation of what he did to Laura. I mean, that's really the whole point in a way.

But obviously, I know she didn't literally get penetrated in that scene or anything. But people can also be raped without being penetrated.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

hellfaucet posted:

And also reminded me of the scene above the convenience store from FWWM Missing Pieces:

I don't know whether it's been mentioned, but the bugfrog's hummingbird face looks a little bit like this guy's face:

kaworu posted:

But obviously, I know she didn't literally get penetrated in that scene or anything. But people can also be raped without being penetrated.

Point being, as long as you don't see boobs or a dick, it's all above board in America.

And More fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 27, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

And More posted:

I don't know whether it's been mentioned, but the bugfrog's hummingbird face looks a little bit like this guy's face:

The guy who played that role in FWWM indeed HAS been cast in Twin Peaks: The Return. He has yet to show up, and quite frankly I am *dreading* him showing up, because he was arguably the creepiest figure in all of FWWM to me, for some reason. Something about the white face and the sharp phallic noise and the red suit - it is EXTREMELY menacing.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

kaworu posted:

The guy who played that role in FWWM indeed HAS been cast in Twin Peaks: The Return. He has yet to show up, and quite frankly I am *dreading* him showing up, because he was arguably the creepiest figure in all of FWWM to me, for some reason. Something about the white face and the sharp phallic noise and the red suit - it is EXTREMELY menacing.

Credited in FWWM as "Jumping Man."

quote:

In Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery bonus feature, "Moving Through Time: Fire Walk with Me Memories", its actor Carlton Lee Russell says, "David told me that my character was this talisman come to life". The footage shifts from his interview to that of The Grandson hopping around like a bird outside the Hotel.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Wait, we're not getting another episode till the 9th of July? I was wondering why the TV guide was saying episode 8 again (UK, so using the simlucast thing).Have they said why it's taking a break? That episode was so good, I want to see more. And what Coop is up to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OldMemes posted:

Wait, we're not getting another episode till the 9th of July? I was wondering why the TV guide was saying episode 8 again (UK, so using the simlucast thing).Have they said why it's taking a break? That episode was so good, I want to see more. And what Coop is up to.
Yep, they're skipping the 2nd :smithicide:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I have this friend who's kind of crazy, who is unspoiled and working through the show and currently at s2e17, and he just....out of NOWHERE started talking about nuclear bombs.

He posted a picture of a mushroom cloud in Skype, and I was confused and wondering if he'd googled Twin Peaks and gotten spoiled. I ask why he posted it, and he merely said
"so is BOB a Surinam toad."

"??? Why did you post the bomb."'

"isn't it obvious? Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. it's a little jumbled and jivey, but I might point out the first H-bomb test was codenamed Ivy MIKE. you expect me, the weapons fetishist, not to know my bombs? and how bob (Robert)'s name was chosen probably as a reference to Robert (j. oppenheimer)? plus BOB sounds so innocuous and goofy"

He's Quoting "Mairzy Doats," that song possessed Leland sings that makes the Horne brothers start dancing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B62P6Gm9jpE
:aaa: Okay okay. Is this a coincidence? Is this just my friend reaching with no real info and getting VERY close to the truth, or did he just blow open a new theory?

So I say, "What? Start over."
"BOB, the evil spirit, puts letters under dead peoples fingernails. those are in the process of spelling "Robert, or Robertson, indicating Leland, son of robert. Bob is short for Robert. Robert is the first name of oppenheimer, the famous nuclear scientist and "I am become death" quoter. going with the nuke theme, MIKE's name must be from IVY MIKE, the first H-Bomb. its exemplar as a triumph of hate as well as an antithesis of that naturalistic woodsy vibe twin peaks works on."

Then he started to talk about how cool he thinks nukes are, and I tried saying that nukes are Bad, on a fundamental and spiritual level. But I can hardly wait for him to catch up and see this past episode.

the subconscious is a powerful thing

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.

OldMemes posted:

Because of the 4th of July holiday weekend in the USA, unfortunately.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is anyone else getting a strong Gravity's Rainbow vibe from this season? I was already thinking that before atomic bombs got involved. The structure, the zaniness, the indulgent musical interludes...

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm just glad he's better at binge watching than I am. I won't have to wait more than a week tops before I can tell him how he pulled off some Tibetan behind-the-back rock throwing poo poo.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm just glad he's better at binge watching than I am. I won't have to wait more than a week tops before I can tell him how he pulled off some Tibetan behind-the-back rock throwing poo poo.

Now it's starting to make sense. You forgot to wear the oven gloves while interacting with your friend, didn't you. :eng101:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

snoremac posted:

Is anyone else getting a strong Gravity's Rainbow vibe from this season? I was already thinking that before atomic bombs got involved. The structure, the zaniness, the indulgent musical interludes...

For sure, I always felt TP was a liiitle Pynchonian, but this season reaply upped it on that front in the best possible way

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Here's my favorite scene in a Lynch work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfXH05oeL6c

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
A few things.

The sound - the very first sound in the first episode, of the needle skipping - doesn't it sound a bit like a geiger counter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upPiJ9vOYiY
Listen to the sounds.

Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima reminds me very much of Black Angels by Crumb. Both about war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sffh9spQopA

I don't think the bug is Bob, nor the woman Laura's mother - I think it's something completely different.

Whew - this episode was great. Can't wait to see more.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
http://www.equitrekking.com/articles/entry/white-sands-mustangs-new-mexico/

quote:

Life changed for these horses as a result of the Manhattan Project and the plans to detonate the first atom bomb in the area in 1945. The Army took over nearly two million acres of the White Sands area and fenced them off from the public. This two million acres housed most of the horses and several watering holes. Although the fences were designed to keep the public out, they also kept the horses in and they could no longer freely roam in search of food and water.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:orb:

What the hell even is this show anymore

stanovich
Feb 9, 2015
The Twin Peaks podcast called "Diane" is the best one in terms of 'getting it' and not resorting to lazy 'WTF was that' takes all the time. They're the best and I hope more people tune into it. I'm not personally involved with them in any way.

https://diane.libsyn.com/

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The Lodge(s) very clearly exist outside of linear time. While I don't necessarily think that the Trinity detonation created them or even provided the 'first' bridge between our world and theirs, the fact that there are implicit contacts with/experiences with the Lodge(s) prior to the nuclear test does not mean that the nuclear test did not create them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lanz posted:

Twin Peaks/Deadly Premonition crossover.

With York played by Ben Savage

You probably already knew this but the original version of Deadly Premonition, titled Rainy Woods, was literally just Twin Peaks only this time the Black Lodge has two dwarfs in it and Agent David Young Henning is pretty anime dude and not a disfigured freak like Agent Francis York Morgan wound up being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

Apparently after that trailer dropped they actually got some legal threats from Lynch and co so they delayed it and made some changes for the better to differentiate it.

Another thing to love about Twin Peaks is that it managed to take back orbs just a month after everyone thought Trump had ruined them forever.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

TheMaestroso posted:

(seems like I keep finding interesting stuff)

According to Secret History, there were UFO sightings at Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico in February of 1955. For reference, Holloman is adjacent to White Sands.

Page 118-119, the place where the nuclear material for the test we saw in this episode was made. It's in the state of Washington.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Also it's always amazing to see things in the show that was in the book. :allears:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like this fan art the official Twitter retweeted.
https://twitter.com/joshuahoward/status/879831475574775814

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
I definitely think the disgusting cockroach bug that finds a host using murderous and menacing spirits is the antecedent to the character who is implied to be the one thing that can fight the evil.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I was thinking maybe the girl who swallowed the bug grew up to be Mrs. Tremond, but I guess that timeline doesn't line up with her age.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Guy Mann posted:

You probably already knew this but the original version of Deadly Premonition, titled Rainy Woods, was literally just Twin Peaks only this time the Black Lodge has two dwarfs in it and Agent David Young Henning is pretty anime dude and not a disfigured freak like Agent Francis York Morgan wound up being.

Francis York Morgan was handsome and masculine and hell I'd gently caress him

Pity the gameplay in Deadly Premonition was hot garbage

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Music Theory posted:

Edit: Continuing the first point, the invention of the nuke could be interpreted as the most important event in shaping the world, or at least America, afterward. BOB seems to be created as a response, and he tends to be the incarnation of modern evils (drugs, sexual violence). Just as the nuke creates the modern world and all its evils, the mother created BOB.

Sexual violence is as old as humanity, its not a modern problem.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

Sexual violence is as old as humanity, its not a modern problem.

yeah that's true

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

But yeah people do talk about the invention of nukes as humanity losing its innocence. "I am become death", and so on.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lord Krangdar posted:

But yeah people do talk about the invention of nukes as humanity losing its innocence. "I am become death", and so on.

not really the right allusion to make there since the quote is over 2000 years old

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, but the original quote is coming straight from Krishna, when he's revealing his true divine form to Arjuna. The context is a little different from Oppenheimer's use of it.

(I should note that the Hiroshima bombing took place on the feast of the Transfiguration, which commemorates when Jesus shows his divinity to his disciples, but I don't think that's related to Twin Peaks. But Lynch could prove me wrong.)

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Oppenheimer also said,

quote:

In some sort of crude sense which no vulgarity, no humor, no overstatement can quite extinguish, the physicists have known sin; and this is a knowledge which they cannot lose.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

snoremac posted:

Yes, this has been on my mind throughout and really came to a head with the most recent episode. It's interesting that, at least figuratively, the world of Twin Peaks begins where the world of Gravity's Rainbow ends.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babalon

This show is bonkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

Apparently after that trailer dropped they actually got some legal threats from Lynch and co so they delayed it and made some changes for the better to differentiate it.

Another thing to love about Twin Peaks is that it managed to take back orbs just a month after everyone thought Trump had ruined them forever.

No worries, yeah, I knew already [was always interested though comparing the trailers; I keep forgetting, is David Young Henning a different VA from York or the same?

That said, even with those changes, the game is still pretty much "SWERY remakes Twin Peaks" and I like it for that all the same.

Frustrating, annoying and hair pulling glitches and all.

EDIT: Would Cooper love the Sinner's Sandwich?