Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My review of the 8th episode is this video with every instead of Trump, it's about Lynch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUEeAzl9Weo

I wish I was that smart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Also, I'm pretty sure that the shadowy homeless people who keep repeating the same phrase were inspired by enemies from Alan Wake and/or Deadly Premonition, two games that in turn were inspired by Twin Peaks.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 27, 2017

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Nah, they are based on random characters in Fire Walk With Me.

David Lynch barely knows what a computer is so I doubt he has even seen either of those games. Unlike John Carpenter who plays video games and tweets about them.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 28, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Don't ruin my ~head canon~ please

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I really want to know how many of the people who hate this season of Twin Peaks for being too different and not featuring enough recurring characters also complained about Force Awakens being too much like Star Wars and not different enough from the older movies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And the rift between art house kids and nerds grows ever deeper.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

spudsbuckley posted:

The autistic worship-thread is in TVIV.

This is the thread where people give actual opinions on the show without Lynch superfans trying to justify why the show is deliberately awful.

From a page ago but lol that you tried this poo poo again and people weren't having it here either. The show's good spudsbuckley, suck it up

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
It's weird because it's just as easy to say "I don't have the attention span for something like this, I had this same problem with 2001, oh well guess I'll stop watching it" but I guess admitting personal failings isn't seen as a sign of strength these days.

Me, I'm the kind of idiot that loves stuff like this but I really rarely have the insight to figure anything out without other people to help. :/

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I think the only thing keeping this thread alive is the people that don't like the show. Not much actual discussion of the show going on in here...

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

a hole-y ghost posted:

I think the only thing keeping this thread alive is the people that don't like the show. Not much actual discussion of the show going on in here...

I prefer the FYAD Twin Peaks thread.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Paladinus posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure that the shadowy homeless people who keep repeating the same phrase were inspired by enemies from Alan Wake and/or Deadly Premonition, two games that in turn were inspired by Twin Peaks.

Nah, David Lynch is just secretly a horrible racist so he finds blacked-up homeless people terrifying.

Notice how their are no actual black people in the show.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Uh.. Ernie Hudson is on it.

e: and don't forget our introduction to Dougie and his jungle fever

Commie Lasorda fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 28, 2017

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
There was also a naked black lady!

e: drat, too slow.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ernie hudson was just cgi.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I think a lot of people in here are forgetting that most, or at least half, of season 2 of the original show was pure trash. As bad as this new season is, I'd take it over most of season 2 any day.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the first 3 episodes of this season were okay to good. then 4 episodes of faaaaar too much dougie. then 8 ruled extremely hard.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

DUGE

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Is this actually just a modified version of the Owl Cave logo?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

a hole-y ghost posted:

Is this actually just a modified version of the Owl Cave logo?

Could be. The Owl Cave logo looks to me like two mountains (the twin peaks) with Glastonbury Grove between. This could be the portal of Glastonbury Grove opened up to be huge.

It also resembles the head of the alien being that spewed out BOB last episode.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Lord Krangdar posted:

Could be. The Owl Cave logo looks to me like two mountains (the twin peaks) with Glastonbury Grove between. This could be the portal of Glastonbury Grove opened up to be huge.
Goatse-Glastonbury Grove connection??

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

oh hey you're right, I didn't realize it had those little tentacle things.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

a hole-y ghost posted:

Wow, neat. I want to see a zillion HD screenshots from that episode.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
This season owns.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

It's arms also bend backwards. I know most people noticed it right away, but I didn't so I like to point it out.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
that was a hell of a sneaky way for lynch to sneak in his required t&a per episode. rats off to ya!

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

rats off to ya!

Whoa, that's a blast from the past. Rats off to ya for even remembering that quote.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

gently caress it. As much as I hate this show, it's more good than it is bad and I'm glad it exsists.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

The Dennis System posted:

gently caress it. As much as I hate this show, it's more good than it is bad and I'm glad it exsists.
You've said the magic words that will cause eps 9-18 to be nothing but windom earle

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Finally got around to watching the last episode. Was neat, I think I might get the symbolism. Although I likely don't, and there is no meaning to a lot of it.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oldstench posted:

This season owns.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
twin peaks has always seemed very literal and not figurative to me

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Relin posted:

I don't know if you're joking, but I think you're right. The Black Lodge seems to be a real, literal place and characters like Bob and the giant seem to be a real, albeit supernatural, beings. And season 3 has revealed that Laura Palmer isn't an average girl struggling to deal with this evil in her life, but some sort of preordained chosen one.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kuato posted:

Finally got around to watching the last episode. Was neat, I think I might get the symbolism. Although I likely don't, and there is no meaning to a lot of it.

you can read into it if you want but beyond broad themes like the bomb as a manifestation of human capacity for violence (maybe modernity in general indicating such a capacity - the black lodge spirits move by things like electricity - and i think it is a capacity rather than the actual manifestation that triggers this poo poo, since it wasn't the hiroshima/nagaski nukes that set this off) ) i think it might be going into intellectual masturbation territory.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Dennis System posted:

I don't know if you're joking, but I think you're right. The Black Lodge seems to be a real, literal place and characters like Bob and the giant seem to be a real, albeit supernatural, beings. And season 3 has revealed that Laura Palmer isn't an average girl struggling to deal with this evil in her life, but some sort of preordained chosen one.

I got some real "darth Vader built c3po" vibes from that scene and I'm really hoping they do something to mitigate that "chosen one" thing because it severely undercuts the awesome juxtaposition of the mundane with the horrific established in Laura's story up until that point.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Did you guys know that Twin Peaks Expanded Universe existed and that Richard Nixon at one point wore the Owl Cave Ring?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

spudsbuckley posted:

The last episode of this season is going to be David Lynch laughing directly into the camera for 51 minutes solid after opening with:"you loving rubes, you actually sat through 17 episodes of this utter loving garbage" before he announces his retirement 15 seconds from the end.

TVIV will still think it is the greatest thing ever.
7? Pages back but. So much this.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Relin posted:

precisely.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

th3t00t posted:

My entire life I thought stereotyping was ignorant and wrong. I grew up in San Diego, CA and hated that because I am the quintessential “ginger” (red hair, blue eyes and freckles) people assumed I didn’t understand Spanish and men would say things about me, in front of me, that would make a sailor blush. I, of course, having grown up in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood, knew exactly what they were saying and was often offended (I was also often amused, but that’s beside the point).

So I grew up, and moved to New York for college. Last summer, I moved out of the dorms into a “bad” neighborhood with some of my buddies. At the time, people warned me that it was a horrible neighborhood and I should stay closer to campus. And at the time, I didn’t see what was wrong with it. I did not understand why any neighborhood with black people was “bad.”

I got a second job at the Wendy’s a block away from my house, I didn’t really need the money but it was convenient and figured a little extra cash never hurt anyone. After a couple of weeks of work I realized that I was the only white person working there and everyone clearly assumed that I was a boring white person (probably because I was the only one that actually worked while I was there). Despite the cultural differences, I really enjoyed the company of some of my co-workers and invited two of them over to have a few drinks and smoke some bong. This is what ensued:

The first time they came over we had a blast, despite the fact that they drank my booze, smoked my weed, and ate a ton of my food without pitching in for any of it (I figured I hadn’t told them ahead of time about a cover charge so it wasn’t that big of a deal). I invited them over again the following week and they brought some friends (without telling me ahead of time) and drank my booze, smoked my weed ect. I asked them to throw down, and of course, nobody had cash on them. But we still had a blast, so I didn’t mind. I simply told them to bring some cash or byob next time (they never did, except once or twice one of them would give my of age boyfriend two dollars and ask him to walk three city blocks to pick up a forty. Then they asked for the change back.) Soon, they started showing up completely uninvited with their friends and it basically spiraled from there.

At the time I was underage and so were all of my room mates, so to avoid any unwanted police attention I had a very strict no drinking and driving policy. One night, about ten black people (only three of them were actually my friends) crashed on my couches/floor because they were far too drunk to drive. It never occurred to me that I should hide my valuables, because I’d had many friends (most of whom are white or Asian, because I am a college student and let’s face it, statistically those are the people I’m most likely to meet) crash at my place before and never had anything come up missing. But the next day the “party” had left before I woke up and my laptop was gone.

I hear black people complain all the time about how when they go into stores they are followed because it’s assumed they are shoplifting. My whole life I thought this stereotype was ridiculous, but now I wish I’d been a bigot and hid my poo poo from the darkies. It was a really nice laptop.

did you ever find your laptop

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

anyone who thinks the black lodge and the supernatural elements of the show are some figurative display of trauma or w/e are dumbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

anyone who thinks the black lodge and the supernatural elements of the show are some figurative display of trauma or w/e are dumbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

theyre loving idiots. im not joking. what a gay rear end intepretation that is. frauds

• Locked thread