Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Fans posted:

This whole thing feels like a group of people with no real issues trying desperately to find a reason to be oppressed.

i mean, they're privelaged. i don't really see how you can get around it - as it turns out, straight white dudes that make their living making daily videos about how social justice warriors are bad have it pretty goddamned good compared to the rest of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

right but their entire shtick is whining about how the feminists and the poc are trying to cage white men.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

MiddleOne posted:

I think we peaked on this when the new Wolftenstein game was met with uproar about how it glorified killing nazi's.

:laugh:

Fans posted:

This whole thing feels like a group of people with no real issues trying desperately to find a reason to be oppressed.

Yeah. Doesn't matter whether you're nominally left or right, you can always get sympathy points by acting like you're the oppressed underdog and not some middle class loser kid who has failed at life through some combination of insufficient mental health care and just being a loving idiot.

you can't get me i'm behind 7 proxies layers of meta irony

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

boner confessor posted:

did the guy ever actually get harassed or are we doing that thing where "harassment" isn't like swatting or group stalking but just someone facing consequences for their past statements

because a lot of these free speech morons crumple at the slightest touch of facing social disapproval for being shitlords

he hasn't said anything about being harassed, from what i can tell of his statements; if he's getting any hatemail or boxes of turds he hasn't been talking about it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

he hasn't said anything about being harassed, from what i can tell of his statements; if he's getting any hatemail or boxes of turds he hasn't been talking about it

so then as usual reactionaries are just vacantly and reflexively accusing people they dont like of being hypocrites, liars, and the real racists? because a minute ago before you actually looked things up for yourself you were complaining about the PC police chasing thought criminals

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Why wont people stop harassing game devs for their political beliefs?

I don't think he was being harassed. People just soured on him and his game. His initial premise for the game is that feminism won and that led to a dystopia.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

boner confessor posted:

so then as usual reactionaries are just vacantly and reflexively accusing people they dont like of being hypocrites, liars, and the real racists? because a minute ago before you actually looked things up for yourself you were complaining about the PC police chasing thought criminals

no, i was making fun of someone saying "if you don't want to get harassed don't have wrong opinions"

but great reading comprehension

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's good advice dummy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

no, i was making fun of someone saying "if you don't want to get harassed don't have wrong opinions"

but great reading comprehension

but you dont have a concrete example of harassment here, you were just kneejerk reacting to someone else's opinion in a stupid way

as usual, internet shitlords getting bent out of shape over nothing

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
*man faces mild disagreement on the internet for his bad ideas* "nobody deserves to be thrown in a gulag for their opinion, cucks :smug:"

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
calm down, son

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

boner confessor posted:

*man faces mild disagreement on the internet for his bad ideas* "nobody deserves to be thrown in a gulag for their opinion, cucks :smug:"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

am i supposed to know who this is

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

boner confessor posted:

am i supposed to know who this is

Scientist who wore the shirt covered in half-naked ladies to announce some space thing, iirc. You know, the one who got totally deserved criticism and had people point out that it was poo poo like that that drives women away from the field.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Refried Hero posted:

Scientist who wore the shirt covered in half-naked ladies to announce some space thing, iirc. You know, the one who got totally deserved criticism and had people point out that it was poo poo like that that drives women away from the field.

And the Gulag he was thrown in was people in the public saying "That's tasteless."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Dude really flayed himself for that I thought. Just "yeah, shirt kinda bad" would have been enough IMO.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was he harmed in any way other than being criticized on the internet and maybe over the phone? I respond to being criticized by carefully considering the feedback and, if appropriate, taking responsibility and formulating a realistic plan for correcting the issue as I move forward.

How did he respond?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fans posted:

Broadly correct. Though the few claims to oppression they might have are all basically criticisms of capitalism which they for some reason seem to be desperately looking for any other thing to blame for.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Because they think the only alternative to predatory capitalism is the Soviet Union.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you're going to reinvent nazism to explain why your life is shite you could at least get it right and reinvent marx instead.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

theCalamity posted:

I don't think he was being harassed. People just soured on him and his game. His initial premise for the game is that feminism won and that led to a dystopia.

Meanwhile, in glorious redpilled libertopia...

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Gamergate is still so goddamned weird to me.

For sake of argument, even if we agree that it ostensibly has something to do with "ethics in journalism", what the gently caress does that have to do with Anita Sarkeesian? She just posts critiques about social and cultural themes in video games. What does she have to with...really, anything?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
1. IFM is a troll account.
2. The Chinese Room is/are fine. Machine for Pigs' problems are more easily traced to their partner game devs having an asset flow problem-something that keeps happening to them. Dear Esther and Korsakovia were and are very innovative.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

For sake of argument, even if we agree that it ostensibly has something to do with "ethics in journalism", what the gently caress does that have to do with Anita Sarkeesian? She just posts critiques about social and cultural themes in video games. What does she have to with...really, anything?

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THERE ARE SERIOUS OVERSIMPLIFICATIONS IN HER DESCRIPTION OF HOW PRINCESS TOADSTOOL'S CAR HANDLES IN MARIO KART!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

rkajdi posted:

Yup, it's the whole "de-FOOing" (Family of Origin) thing he preaches in between complaining about how women are too nice to assholes and how taxes are theft. The cult comparison is pretty well earned at this point, but if you have that "rational and neutral POV", him pushing this position is just a sane as a transgender person disconnecting from their family because they don't accept their gender identity. This is literally the argument that was given, because your political persuasion should obviously be protected and above basic scrutiny.

Molyneux is a fairly standard crazy libertarian. I have acquaintances that actually listen to him for reasons I cannot fathom. Agree or disagree, the guy never uses five words when fifty would also serve the purpose. I have to think that the longwindedness of his stuff is because he wants to filter out anyone other than people who just fall for his poo poo completely-- sort of like how 419 scammers have horrible English grammar in them to ensure everyone smart enough to see through the scam just walks away immediately instead of wasting their time and still not sending them any money.
Are we talking about Stephen Molyneux here? Cause I didn't think that the standard crazy libertarian was hated women nearly as much as Molyneux clearly does.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Has anyone watched Laci Green's Two genders video? Because I dont wanna give her clicks and it's sitting on Youtube's Spotlight Page for Pride month.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The title isn't encouraging...

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Mr Interweb posted:

No but see, she's in cahoots with the games journalism sites that wrote 'attack pieces' on gamer's. It's exactly the same as the 1980's Satanic panic and the, IDK, the left version of Jack Thompson? Yeah, they're trying to get it so that only their games are being created and they're responsible for Bayonetta almost not getting a sequal, and if they had their way I'll never get good games like Bayonetta or Dead or Alive or Senran Kagura. It doesn't matter that the movement immediately gets used as a shield by people who are legit misgynists or used as a deliberate attempt to shut down any critisism or that people I don't like get death threats, because the people doing that aren't gamergate, despite the only qualifier being saying you are in gamergate! It doesn't matter that we're literally shooting ourselves in the foot, destroying any attempt to treat games like art, and also destroying any goodwill games journalism had to the consumers which might have incentivised games media being actually good and on our side, no we're going to call them hacks, hold them to higher standards than the New York Times and consistently call them shills while never giving them a dime or reason to stop taking funding from the video game companies that are mostly after our money.

:eng99: all things I actually heard while that was happening.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 28, 2017

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Terrible Opinions posted:

Are we talking about Stephen Molyneux here? Cause I didn't think that the standard crazy libertarian was hated women nearly as much as Molyneux clearly does.

Honestly, in my experience crazy libertarians are crazy about everything-- crank magnetism if you will. I haven't met one who wasn't at least a bit resentful at women for coming to flock to their obviously awesome rational mind, which leads pretty commonly to the red pill style insanity.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

BigRed0427 posted:

Has anyone watched Laci Green's Two genders video? Because I dont wanna give her clicks and it's sitting on Youtube's Spotlight Page for Pride month.

I watched about 2 minutes of it because I haven't seen anything of hers since way way way before she redpilled or w/e the gently caress. She starts out the video saying everyone's going to be mad by her at the end of it, no matter what they believe, so I decided to save her the trouble. She seemed to be going down a quasi biotruths path keeping just this side of "women's brains are smaller than men's brains" so I just put on a caravan palace video instead and was much happier with my decision.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Of course, I think it be perfectly fair to say the most popular Libertarian in American history is Ayn Rand. Say what you want about her (because it's all justified) but she was actually pro-choice from what I know.

I don't think most Libertarians have any ideology beyond "smoke weed don't pay taxes woooo." As such, I doubt many are misogynistic. I've certainly seen a lot of evidence of rampant racism in the movement but if I were to meet a random Libertarian, would I immediately think they hate women? Nah. Maybe I'm too nice.

Molyneux really shouldn't be equated to a normal Libertarian. He has way too much power and influence and advocates social conservatism, like Hoppe. They're both special brands of evil and crazy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He also goes into full blown "women shouldn't be allowed to vote" rants occasionally and through his proxy BlackPidgeonSpeaks has a whole channel of videos on the evils of womenfolk.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Torchlighter posted:

No but see, she's in cahoots with the games journalism sites that wrote 'attack pieces' on gamer's. It's exactly the same as the 1980's Satanic panic and the, IDK, the left version of Jack Thompson? Yeah, they're trying to get it so that only their games are being created and they're responsible for Bayonetta almost not getting a sequal, and if they had their way I'll never get good games like Bayonetta or Dead or Alive or Senran Kagura. It doesn't matter that the movement immediately gets used as a shield by people who are legit misgynists or used as a deliberate attempt to shut down any critisism or that people I don't like get death threats, because the people doing that aren't gamergate, despite the only qualifier being saying you are in gamergate! It doesn't matter that we're literally shooting ourselves in the foot, destroying any attempt to treat games like art, and also destroying any goodwill games journalism had to the consumers which might have incentivised games media being actually good and on our side, no we're going to call them hacks, hold them to higher standards than the New York Times and consistently call them shills while never giving them a dime or reason to stop taking funding from the video game companies that are mostly after our money.

:eng99: all things I actually heard while that was happening.

The funny thing is, if GG actually WAS about "ethics in games journalism", a lot of us would most likely be totally on board. There IS corruption in the industry (as with any other) involving poo poo like collusion, pay-to-play, and all that other fun stuff. But as with every other aspect of culture and society, the Left and Right are in totally separate universes when it comes to what they define as "corruption". For the Left, it's the aforementioned issues. For the Right, its' some random blogger/youtuber that says that hey, maybe we should allow female characters in games to wear something beyond a battle bikini.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017

BigRed0427 posted:

The thumbnail is like her previous "Taking the red pill?" title in that it's clearly pandering to the anti-fems for views, which is disappointing. The video itself is just a bunch of waffling of no real consequence. "Some people think this, some other people think this, let me know what you think in the comments!" Kinda boring.

I've been wanting to make a video about Laci & have been waiting for her to do anything other than talk in circles about how everyone is mean to her now, but I've been waiting a while.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Great Metal Jesus posted:

is the last panel kurt eichenwald?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wait, how are we supposed to read that? The feminazi gloats, then she looks depressed, and THEN she looks at the dude with the waifu pillow?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The implication is that the evil SJW has gotten old and unloved (she even has a cat), while the entirely rational man has instead formed an emotional dependency on a body pillow.

personally i'm all for being attracted to fictional characters but lmao at the artist thinking this is some sick own

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ungulateman posted:

The implication is that the evil SJW has gotten old and unloved (she even has a cat), while the entirely rational man has instead formed an emotional dependency on a body pillow.

personally i'm all for being attracted to fictional characters but lmao at the artist thinking this is some sick own

It's all part of the idea that you're better for rejecting womanhood entirely. That there is pride to be found in having a sexless existence and that woman will just use sex to control you anyway. Don't feel bad about being lonely, feel happy because you have escaped the vile whims of the feminazi collective who aim to control your with their reproductive organs. This also played into why Milo was so popular. Not because being gay was suddenly considered okay in the community, but because he represented someone who was beyond the need of having to please women, a truly independent individual who could speak his mind about 'what we all are thinking'.

Can you tell that this idea originated from 4chan?

Username
Oct 22, 2004
Haha! I have the upper hand now!

ungulateman posted:

It's an attempt to make another "dumb and so goddamn crazy" political cartoon but MGTOW anti-feminists are so incompetent they failed to even make their opponents sound dumber or crazier than themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

business hammocks posted:

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THERE ARE SERIOUS OVERSIMPLIFICATIONS IN HER DESCRIPTION OF HOW PRINCESS TOADSTOOL'S CAR HANDLES IN MARIO KART!

I remembered some one mentioning this on a podcast ages ago and thought I would have trouble googling an answer but apparently this is widespread now.

http://campusbasement.com/bryant/news/articles/3901/thesis-mario-kart-as-an-emulation-of-marxist-communist-manifesto

Thesis: Mario Kart as an Emulation of Marxist ‘Communist Manifesto’

• Locked thread