Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Some of the funniest recent episodes are The Hobos of Iceland and Animal Behavior Enterprises. The Newsie Strike is destined to be an all-time great just for the street names of the newsies and Dave trying to pronounce "Scaboosch."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The jetpack episode should go without saying.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Finally got around to listening to The Rube. I was thinking it was a great episode and probably wrapping up when I looked down and saw *there were still 40 loving minutes left*.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

There's one with a boxer that has something approaching a happy ending, it was released around the same time as the horrific cremation episode. The whalesplosion is also relatively upbeat.

The boxer one is titled "The Kipling of the bowrie." I remember because it's one of the few episodes that yeah, has an actual happy ending for everyone.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
My absolute favorite episode is The Fine Cotton Scandal (124). I've listened to it a dozen times.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The last five minutes or so of today's episode is an instant entry in the pantheon of all-time great Dollop moments. A great reveal, and a perfect Gareth reaction that almost certainly mirrors your own.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Any Mod reading this thread: please change my name to any single name given in the Newsie episode. You could literally pick any of them. Please just do it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Any Mod reading this thread: please change my name to any single name given in the Newsie episode. You could literally pick any of them. Please just do it.

Honestly "Malcolm Excellent" sounds like a newsie name anyway, you're fine

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
It's not my favorite episode and I can't think of any quotes but 232 The Breaking of Glenn Burke; is one of my favorite episodes cause it talks about some really hosed up poo poo america did to just like one guy that is still important and also holy poo poo he invented the high five.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Leper Residue posted:

It's not my favorite episode and I can't think of any quotes but 232 The Breaking of Glenn Burke; is one of my favorite episodes cause it talks about some really hosed up poo poo america did to just like one guy that is still important and also holy poo poo he invented the high five.

Like all baseball-focused episodes, that is a great (albeit pretty drat depressing) installment, but my favorite part is at the beginning when Dave is running through young Glenn's accomplishments.

"He loved to make the other kids in his class laugh."
"Alright."
"He attended church six times a week; two choirs, served as an usher."
"Okay...?"
"He bathed two or three times a day, but never felt clean."
"Uhhh, well...huh.

Can we say right now, maybe we've hit our first flag?"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Leper Residue posted:

You need to listen to this one and pull out Michael Malloy or something to counterbalance it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

JethroMcB posted:

Like all baseball-focused episodes, that is a great (albeit pretty drat depressing) installment, but my favorite part is at the beginning when Dave is running through young Glenn's accomplishments.

"He loved to make the other kids in his class laugh."
"Alright."
"He attended church six times a week; two choirs, served as an usher."
"Okay...?"
"He bathed two or three times a day, but never felt clean."
"Uhhh, well...huh.

Can we say right now, maybe we've hit our first flag?"

I love how Gareth has gotten more canny as the show has gone along towards the flags and towards the moment the story Dollops.

Also, his delight at the ending of the James Otis episode was wonderful.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

The last five minutes or so of today's episode is an instant entry in the pantheon of all-time great Dollop moments. A great reveal, and a perfect Gareth reaction that almost certainly mirrors your own.

100% agreed. drat that rules

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Honestly "Malcolm Excellent" sounds like a newsie name anyway, you're fine

In defense of Dave, I don't think I'd ever be able to get through a name like "Scrumbum Wolf" (or whatever it was; something like that) without cracking up.

Edit: "Skaboosh Wolf", I think.

prefect fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 5, 2017

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Reformed Pissboy posted:

100% agreed. drat that rules

Haha yeah that was amazing. I liked when he called for an hour long break to discuss what happened.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Haha yeah that was amazing. I liked when he called for an hour long break to discuss what happened.

"He Babe Ruth'd a lightning bolt!" is one of the single greatest Dollop lines ever.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
If anyone wants to hear Dave Anthony lead a very depressing and scary discussion about climate change, check him out on the Left Coast podcast.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/e004-remember-bears-climate-change-part-1-w-dave-anthony/id1248040969?i=1000389616990&mt=2

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Garfy

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

lil' Garfy

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

I hope that makes it into the new intro.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

important update:

https://twitter.com/reynoldsgareth/status/884429015561326592

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

So, I didn't realize our current opioid crisis could pretty much be traced back to one horrendous company. Now I don't know who's worse, Purdue or Uber. Goddamn.

Also, any other LA fans planning on going to the show on July 16th that Gareth mentioned?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

MUM.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Mother, please!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So what is Gareth's background?
Sometimes they make fun of him for being British? His mom seems to be, but they don't mention it on IMDb, and he doesn't know what tories are, so I guess it's only his mum?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mrfart posted:

So what is Gareth's background?
Sometimes they make fun of him for being British? His mom seems to be, but they don't mention it on IMDb, and he doesn't know what tories are, so I guess it's only his mum?

His name is Welsh, and I believe his mother is English. He seemed to know who Tommy Cooper was pretty well, so he definitely spent some time watching old British television.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
He's done impressions of his mom before and he has her speak with a British accent. I think he's also said at some point he may have spent a couple years of his childhood in the U.K.?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Fairly certain he spent his earliest years in the UK and then spent the rest of his life growing up in the Midwest (Wisconsin I think?). Both his parents are British and ended up moving to the US.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I was playing around with San Francisco Museum of Modern Art's text message service "Send me SFMOMA" and I got this piece which is Uber.jpg.

https://www.sfmoma.org/artwork/1033.43

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

That was the very best part. He realized a split-second before what was going to happen and desperately tried to stop it. :newlol:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

prefect posted:

That was the very best part. He realized a split-second before what was going to happen and desperately tried to stop it. :newlol:

I love the Dollop and that might be the funniest moment in the entire show. There's so much sincerity in that one word.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/JamesFosdike/status/884599721628622848

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Garfie will be chanted across the world.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Garfie will be chanted across the world.
*Offer valid only in continental United States, Australia, and occasionally Iceland.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

InequalityGodzilla posted:

*Offer valid only in continental United States, Australia, and occasionally Iceland.

Those are all located on the world. :colbert:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rochallor posted:

He's done impressions of his mom before and he has her speak with a British accent. I think he's also said at some point he may have spent a couple years of his childhood in the U.K.?

If anybody was curious I usually skip through the first 5-10 minutes of the episodes, so I was wondering where this Garfie talk was coming from, and now my weekend is off to a great start.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yeah I usually skip forward in 60 second chunks til I hear it get going but I'm glad I didn't miss MUM.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
I just read an article about my states heroin problem right after listening to the Opioid episodes. Kind of a bummer.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

You guys should at least check out how Dave does the Talk Space ads. I mean, I hate podcast ads as much as the next guy, but they're really funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
More than anything now, I want a reverse-guest Dollop where Gareth's mum tells stories to Dave Anthony about the early years of little Garfie.