Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

EggsAisle posted:

I'm writing a story, a segment of which takes place in... well, think Spanish Civil War or WW2 as far as technology/society goes. It's complicated. Two pertinent questions:

1.) If you fired a full rifle-sized cartridge out of a significantly shortened carbine (assume same caliber) against the wind, would you end up with a face full of soot and gas?

No. Modern smokeless cartridges just don't produce that much smoke, especially not enough to describe it as "soot." You're going to get far more gunsmoke around your eyes from cycling the bolt after firing, and even that's negligible.

Put together 50 dudes and have them shooting non stop and you could get a bit of a haze in the air, but it would really take volume and time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Their small boat guys were awesome too and their capital ships were mostly hamstrung by fuel shortages. The Italian navy was p deece in terms of competency. Their army is better than given credit for too tbh, just crap equipment.

Their capital ships were also behind in ancilliary equipment development due to lack of funding, rangefinders, radar that sort of thing. Their navy did a fairly good job all things considered with the limited resources they had.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

EggsAisle posted:

I'm writing a story, a segment of which takes place in... well, think Spanish Civil War or WW2 as far as technology/society goes. It's complicated. Two pertinent questions:

1.) If you fired a full rifle-sized cartridge out of a significantly shortened carbine (assume same caliber) against the wind, would you end up with a face full of soot and gas?

2.) One of my characters is a healthy adult male, 25 or so, living in what amounts to a small Russian town circa early Barbarossa. For plot reasons, he has to stay in town for the war, despite being prime conscript material in a very desperate time. I was thinking maybe there's a factory or workshop, and he does specialized work there,. He's a good craftsman- what kind of work/goods would require specialized labor like that? It's a small town (5000 pop, max) with rail access. Doesn't matter how mundane, just looking for ideas.

Thanks much for indulging me.

1) the unburnt powder ends up exiting the barrel pretty quickly and burning up to make a huge fireball. I don't think any amount of wind would be enough to blow it back in your face before it burned up.

2) if he works at a factory that is evacuated, he would go with the factory. That also wouldn't stop him from trying to enlist anyway, the NKTP had a huge problem with skilled tradesmen wanting to fight instead of build stuff. I doubt that a small town would have a factory worth evacuating, though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ask Us About Military History MkIII: Oh no, I killed Gay Black Hilda!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gnoman posted:

The biggest reason that US didn't sign the treaty (apart from concerns over treaty commitments with the ROK, which Korea's government has said were not an insoluble problem) was complaints that the ban didn't go nearly far enough - the US was trying to push a total ban on all forms of buried mine that don't inherently deactivate within a very short time (either through a self-destruct circuit or reliance on a short lived component such as a battery),

That's the US pushing a ban on the sort of landmines that poor countries like Iran and North Korea can't afford, while exempting the expensive sort of landmines that first-world industrialized nations can afford. In other words, it's pure self-interest.

quote:

This got away from me, but the main point I was trying to make was that the US generally agreed with the principle of the ban (only disagreeing with the specifics of how mines should be restricted), the US is complying with most of the provisions voluntarily

About that:

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/us-army-dusting-off-volcano-mine-dispensers

quote:

The US Army is dusting off mine dispenser systems it originally used in the 1990s because it sees an important role for them against near-peer adversaries now and in the future.

The Volcano system can turn a vehicle or a helicopter into something like a Pez dispenser for mines. Volcano was used prior to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but has laid relatively dormant during the last 15 years of war in the Middle East because the Army did not see a role for it there.

But the systems didn’t go away entirely. A 2012 video posted to YouTube shows the 2nd Combat Aviation Brigade stationed at Seoul Air Base in South Korea training and qualifying to use the air Volcano mine system. Volcano was deployed there to serve as a deterrent to North Korean advances, allowing a large amount of land mines to be dispersed quickly.

Now, according to the service's Training and Doctrine Command's Army Capabilities Integration Center (ARCIC), the Army plans to resurrect Volcano as a key capability within Cross Domain Fires, one of its top six modernization priorities.

quote:

A very similar situation exists with the cluster-bomb ban.

We're thinking maybe we really won't go through with it.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/05/02/army-concerned-over-ban-on-cluster-munitions-land-mines.html

quote:

The service is also looking at the existing XM1128 round, which has a range of 30 kilometers, and monitoring ongoing tests Israel is conducting on its new M999 round.

Currently, it is unclear whether the Trump administration will decide to direct the military to use cluster munitions in the future, Shields said.

The results Russia was achieving in Ukraine with DPICM were scary as hell.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Polyakov posted:

Their capital ships were also behind in ancilliary equipment development due to lack of funding, rangefinders, radar that sort of thing. Their navy did a fairly good job all things considered with the limited resources they had.

They seemed particularly inept and cowardly in operation pedestal. Did they just not notice 2dds towing a tanker into Malta?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

bewbies posted:

FASCAM-type mines are incredibly useful in countermobility operations but as it happens these are pretty much the exact kind of munitions that the various bans and whatnot really went after.

We never had those here tho, we just had the regular type of mines.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

EggsAisle posted:

(earlier post with questions)

Thank you all for your answers and insights, I'm grateful!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wasn't there some sort of council consisting industrialists and movie producers and so on in WWII in the US? I can't find this on google and it is driving me crazy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've seen the "If you're out of A-7s you're out of planes" thing a few times, what's the story behind that? Just a shitload of A-7s?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Haha, I'm sure it's more of a "it's the worst possible plane, but it can maintained somewhat easily and all the others have been shot down, so it'll probably be the last thing flying" thing than it being crazy available.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
It's F-8 Crusaders, the last US fighter built around its guns.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Fit the carbine with a cylinder gap like on a revolver

Then give it to someone you don't like

Doesn't even have to be a carbine.

(Can't find the tumblr post that had something like twelve different revolving rifles featured.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quinntan posted:

It's F-8 Crusaders, the last US fighter built around its guns.

Ok so it's more "last resort" than "endless supply". Thanks for answering my meme-related questions.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

zoux posted:

Ok so it's more "last resort" than "endless supply". Thanks for answering my meme-related questions.

Not quite. The joke is that the F-8 was the last of the gunfighters, since everything after that was designed to primarily fight using missiles (And in several cases forgoing guns entirely). And since dogfighting with missiles isn't real dogfighting, it logically follows (To F-8 pilots) that, if you're out of F-8s, you're out of fighters.

Edit: Also, for anyone who has no idea what we're talking about :

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 27, 2017

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
And in a stroke of irony, most of the F-8s kills in Vietnam were actually done with AIM-9s because the guns were prone to jamming.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not quite. The joke is that the F-8 was the last of the gunfighters, since everything after that was designed to primarily fight using missiles (And in several cases forgoing guns entirely). And since dogfighting with missiles isn't real dogfighting, it logically follows (To F-8 pilots) that, if you're out of F-8s, you're out of fighters.

Edit: Also, for anyone who has no idea what we're talking about :

Thanks, military memes are esoteric.

I know that the Kilroy Was Here thing is often pointed out as a pre-internet meme, do y'all know of other similar things? Did Roman legionnaires draw dicks on everything?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

zoux posted:

Did Roman legionnaires draw dicks on everything?

Romans drew dicks on everything, period. Google up some graffiti from Pompeii. It's :dong: all the way down.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

BattleMoose posted:

They seemed particularly inept and cowardly in operation pedestal. Did they just not notice 2dds towing a tanker into Malta?

I disagree Pedestal was inept on the Italians part, they noticed what was going on but rightly feared being drawn into a fleet action against the Royal Navy that they would almost certainly lose. Being able to contest the Med against the Royal Navy was a very important factor in the war especially given the continuing campaign in North Africa, if they lost some or all of their capital ships in this effort they would have essentially handed control over to the RN. Italy wasn’t getting any more BB's any time soon. This along with the fuel shortage and the lack of air cover because that the air force was using its planes for other purposes and the fact they were going up against the RN's multiple aircraft carriers and the airforce on Malta means that an attack with their major fleet units would probably have been a foolhardy effort. Their plan was on paper fairly sound and had stopped or heavily damaged the two previous supply convoys, choosing to attack from air and with light fast naval forces and they did a whole hell of a lot of damage and didn’t risk their valuable battleships doing so. Less than a third of the convoy got through in the end and an aircraft carrier was sunk, they hit the tanker several times, snapping its keel and blowing a huge hole in its side, it was really a little bit of a toss-up that she didn’t sink, sometimes in war you get unlucky.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

zoux posted:

Did Roman legionnaires draw dicks on everything?

Who do you think invented forum shitposting?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Argus Zant posted:

Who do you think invented forum shitposting?

:golfclap:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

bewbies posted:

Wasn't there some sort of council consisting industrialists and movie producers and so on in WWII in the US? I can't find this on google and it is driving me crazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Activities_Committee_of_the_Motion_Pictures_Industry

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EggsAisle posted:

Even a black powder gun wouldn't cause the smoke cloud to hit you in the face unless you were firing against something like a huge fan blowing straight at you. You'd more likely suffer that from something like a case failure on a semi-auto, where the casing ruptures in the chamber and some of the gas comes out the breech end.

What he would feel is the muzzle blast. Even with relatively small handguns, you can feel it when you shoot indoors. I shot a SIG-Sauer P938 a little over a week ago and 9x19mm out of a 3.9 inch barrel had a muzzle blast that was like being slapped in the face in that little booth.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Even a black powder gun wouldn't cause the smoke cloud to hit you in the face unless you were firing against something like a huge fan blowing straight at you. You'd more likely suffer that from something like a case failure on a semi-auto, where the casing ruptures in the chamber and some of the gas comes out the breech end.

What he would feel is the muzzle blast. Even with relatively small handguns, you can feel it when you shoot indoors. I shot a SIG-Sauer P938 a little over a week ago and 9x19mm out of a 3.9 inch barrel had a muzzle blast that was like being slapped in the face in that little booth.

You can get gas blow back like that with case ruptures on bolt actions as well. I had a split case head firing Yugo surplus ('53 manufacture - a known wonky year) out of a K98k and got to experience how the bolt is designed to vent gasses away from your eyes if that happens. It wasn't a big cloud of smoke so much as a blast of searing hot gas over my forehead. I ended up with what looked like a mild sunburn over my right eyebrow.

Bolt was dirty as FUUUUCK too, which was a pain in the rear end as I then had to detail clean pretty much everything to avoid rust.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

zoux posted:

Thanks, military memes are esoteric.

I know that the Kilroy Was Here thing is often pointed out as a pre-internet meme, do y'all know of other similar things? Did Roman legionnaires draw dicks on everything?

It's not a meme; it was the group identity and slogan of the F-8 pilots as a cohort. They were aware of their status as last of a breed even as they were asked to do poo poo like start the Top Gun school ("Hey, all our hotshot F-4 dudes keep getting blown up all the time because no one thought to teach them how to dogfight, can you help them not die?").

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Some of the early breechloading blackpowder rifles had problems with completely sealing the chamber and would leave your forearm covered in powder burns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCjjbDN6PGY

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

It gets a little more complicated than that. The War Activities Committee of the Motion Picture Industry was handling a lot of domestic stuff, and in some ways was acting as a film distributor. Some of the newsreel stuff was produced by them, but a lot of their work was making sure that when the government wanted a film distributed it got out to the theaters and making sure everyone knew Hollywood was on the side of America. Then you have the Office of War Information was was bringing in a lot of international stuff, and also producing short films. The studios themselves also acted independently. And all three groups account for most of the "Victory Shorts" and newsreel footage.

But a number of the big, serious directors and Hollywood power players end up working directly with the various branches of the military. In particular John Ford who ends up being a producer for most of the stuff the Navy wanted or needed, and Frank Capra who was doing a similar kind of role for the Army. Capra in particular did some really fascinating stuff with the Why We Fight Series. The Army wanted 50 films and gave him a budget of $450,000 which is not a lot of money. So he takes a lot of Nazi and Italian propaganda and splices it together with narration to deconstruct it and show how horrifying it is. John Ford on the other hand is sent all over the world filming stuff and ends up getting a Purple Heart at Midway. He was on the island filming and got hit with some shrapnel from a bomb. And you have guys like Zanuck traveling around and making MacArthur look like a humble, timid man.

If you're looking for a decent entry for Hollywood in this era, Five Came Back is the place to start. The book is more historically minded and focuses more on the history. The documentary series is more film minded and tends to look more at the cinematic aspects of what happened.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
WW2 propaganda cartoons by Nedić's collaborationist government in Serbia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As3ujlmiGC8
In order: Meditteranean troop convoy sunk, RIP in pieces Brits and Yankees; lol November 9th; American fleet sunk by superior Japanese airforce; British scrap bridges to get more iron; All of Asia is working together against American-British imperialism under benign Japanese supervision; Lithuania says gently caress YOU SOVIETS; Glorious Serbian people should stand up to the evil Partizans and will not be deceived by Comminternjews like Russians were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nTSfWhpS4g
Blurry bullshit, mentions how Churchill and Tito are pen pals, ends basically with "Tito very bad and alone and foreign and not a threat to us at all, I swear"

my dad fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 28, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DookieSandwich posted:

Some of the early breechloading blackpowder rifles had problems with completely sealing the chamber and would leave your forearm covered in powder burns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCjjbDN6PGY

The Dreyse needle rifle as well, which also had the added problem of putting the primer at the base of the bullet. Somehow nobody thought "Maybe we shouldn't have the firing pin surrounded by exploding gunpowder?"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

chitoryu12 posted:

The Dreyse needle rifle as well, which also had the added problem of putting the primer at the base of the bullet. Somehow nobody thought "Maybe we shouldn't have the firing pin surrounded by exploding gunpowder?"

That was to provide reliable detonation of the charge though, since these were earlier primers and not as effective. It's not like it was hard to get new firing pins, you just gave every soldier some spares and replaced them as needed. Weren't those also paper cartridges as well?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

THIS IS IT THANK YOU

Also today I learned that there is a bunch of crap in Huntsville named for von Braun to include their big concert hall/sports arena. I'm going to bet that this is the only stuff in America named after a literal nazi.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

my dad posted:

WW2 propaganda cartoons by Nedić's collaborationist government in Serbia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As3ujlmiGC8
In order: Meditteranean troop convoy sunk, RIP in pieces Brits and Yankees; lol November 9th; American fleet sunk by superior Japanese airforce; British scrap bridges to get more iron; All of Asia is working together against American-British imperialism under benign Japanese supervision; Lithuania says gently caress YOU SOVIETS; Glorious Serbian people should stand up to the evil Partizans and will not be deceived by Comminternjews like Russians were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nTSfWhpS4g
Blurry bullshit, mentions how Churchill and Tito are pen pals, ends basically with "Tito very bad and alone and foreign and not a threat to us at all, I swear"

lol

thanks for posting these, i'm a big fan of propaganda cartoons

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 28, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I remember watching an old black and white movie, plot was about two businessmen and a girl in a love triangle, it gets resolved, fade to black. Then fade back in and theres a blatantly tacked-on scene of the two guys shaking hands and talking about how it's time to put the past behind them and work together to convert the business to wartime production. THE END-BUY WAR BONDS

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That's amazing. I'm sure it could improve some modern shows as well.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

P-Mack posted:

I remember watching an old black and white movie, plot was about two businessmen and a girl in a love triangle, it gets resolved, fade to black. Then fade back in and theres a blatantly tacked-on scene of the two guys shaking hands and talking about how it's time to put the past behind them and work together to convert the business to wartime production. THE END-BUY WAR BONDS

That's kinda the plot of Casablanca...

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful business venture."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The best ones are at the end of cartoons where daffy duck and bugs finish loving with elmer fudd and then apropos nothing one of them puts on an uncle sam outfit to hawk war bonds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Crossposting from TFR as I figure some people here will be interested. I think TFR just bought 25 of the things in the past hour.

MomJeans420 posted:

I just found out little crossbows that shoot toothpicks exist, but parents are upset about them so all the listings have been removed from amazon. I couldn't find them on Ali Express, maybe I need a better search term, but I finally found them on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Crossbow-Set-Bow-Arrow-Archery-Toy-/182640878051?hash=item2a863ea1e3

The best part is the description, "Ideal for both small game hunting and decoration in living room."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Crossposting from TFR as I figure some people here will be interested. I think TFR just bought 25 of the things in the past hour.
a perfect companion to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

I stumbled across these things and sent the article to my friends, saying these were the new fidget spinners

HEY GAIL posted:

a perfect companion to this

If you scroll down in this link, you can see a picture of a box diorama someone made of the night watch

Speaking of the Italian AF, they did very well vs. the fleet air arm during Malta resupply missions. Basically even with British aircraft carriers, the Italians could stage enough fighters and bombers to neutralize the air defenses by overwhelming them.

While I did return that book on the Italian navy, I can post one more thing about them: that Italian Forces scored such a succsess in 1942 that Churchill intentionally left mention of it our of his memoirs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Agreement

The other thing that book mentioned is how suprisingly ruthless the British were toward their own POWs. He gives an example where ULTRA identified a cargo ship sailing from Tripoli to Italiy carring a number of POWs, (I forget the number, several hundred at least.) The British sank the ship in question anyway, as damaging Italian shipping was deemed more important than the lives of the POWs.