Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

angryrobots posted:

The AACA museum in Hershey PA is a pro visit.

Huge variety of vehicles in all manner of condition, mostly unrestored but well preserved, but quite a few in rough "as found" shape. Most had stories about how they came to be in their current state - the above was my personal favorite.

Also a huge Tucker exhibit with 3 complete cars, 2 test chassis where you can see the unconventional design laid bare, and about 6 engine prototypes along with a pile of memorabilia and original drawings.

This is awesome and did not get the love it deserves. The story about the White Sedan is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

InitialDave - I assume I just saw you and your Cappo on Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1WRhPzhCy8
Yup, that's from when they had the meetup in Coventry.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

eyebeem posted:

The ms intellimouse explorer will always be the best mouse.

Check Goodwill. I bought a whole rack of them, never used when I lived in Richmond. $2 each
They're still white too. Not even that nasty "smoker's office" tan that all computer equipment of that area becomes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Was this a dick move? We're the customers and buying a car is a big decision and a major purchase, so I feel like we were within our rights to do this. What does AI think?

Funny enough, we had this almost exact same thing play out buying our CR-V in 2013, except the first guy wasn't nearly as much of a dick in person. But he was pushing pretty hard to try and sell us the moment we walked in, and gave us a hilariously bad price. I fired up Truecar the next night and got a vastly lower price, though what followed was apparently a half hour of backoffice arguing about which salesperson should get the commission.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Still amazed every time I see a model X in person at how ugly they are

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the people down the road moved out of the house they were renting and left their non-running rx7 fd behind.

it has no rust but i have no idea why it doesn't run. i am thinking of asking the landlord about it since he will presumably get it via abandonment.

please talk me out of this terrible, terrible idea.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

financially racist posted:

the people down the road moved out of the house they were renting and left their non-running rx7 fd behind.

it has no rust but i have no idea why it doesn't run. i am thinking of asking the landlord about it since he will presumably get it via abandonment.

What forum do you think this is? You should absolutely get that FD, and if not, pass the tip on to a local goon.

Worst case you have to swap an LS1 into it, ohhh noooooo.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my previous car was an fb, and after owning a rotary there is not a snowball's chance in hell i'd swap a non-rotary into one. the engine makes those cars as far as i'm concerned.

if i pick it up and it's too hosed i'll prolly find someone who has more time to deal with it, since i'm a full time college student who already made the pretty bad decision to daily an sw20 for my 100 mile roundtrip to and from class 5 days a week.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

My friend got an RX7 this way, I got it running, we beat the poo poo out of it. Exhaust was straight piped, donuts and dirt road drifts were made, old ladies went running from the sound and police were called. Had a blast.

Its a great idea.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Worst case you have to swap an LS1 into it, ohhh noooooo.

RADL coming to knife you

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You came to the wrong loving forum for that buddy. Get dat car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

RADL coming to knife you

Would the RADL rather have an FD with no motor or an FD that's going around harassing the public, albeit with the wrong engine?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GET THE loving FD

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Would the RADL rather have an FD with no motor or an FD that's going around harassing the public, albeit with the wrong engine?

I think you know the answer to that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You should be ashamed you even thought about asking that

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm getting the Mazda 3 on Thursday. :)

It's my second car ever, so I'm super excited. I've been driving a Hyundai Accent for almost 11 years, and it's getting passed down to be my wife's car.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm getting the Mazda 3 on Thursday. :)

It's my second car ever, so I'm super excited. I've been driving a Hyundai Accent for almost 11 years, and it's getting passed down to be my wife's car.

Buy my 2014 Mazda 3 i Sport 6MT instead.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

RADL coming to knife you

Presumably via some other transport method than something rotary powered.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

if it came down to it i'd prolly just take the motor out and wait till i can put another twin turbo'd 13b in it

however in reality since i'm already planning on 2gr-ing my mr2, if i get this fd and the motor is hosed i'd rather just give it to someone else. having a v6 mr2 and a 13b-rew fd would be pretty cool but a bit overkill, especially since i also plan on purchasing an autozam az-1 down the line because i am completely mental and like extremely dumb poo poo.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

my previous car was an fb, and after owning a rotary there is not a snowball's chance in hell i'd swap a non-rotary into one. the engine makes those cars as far as i'm concerned.

if i pick it up and it's too hosed i'll prolly find someone who has more time to deal with it, since i'm a full time college student who already made the pretty bad decision to daily an sw20 for my 100 mile roundtrip to and from class 5 days a week.

You rang.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Coming home around 1ish the other night I ran into some guy in a red Hellcat Challenger who was out looking for victims, he pulled up at a light next to me, I saw the familiar Challenger shape draw up behind me like a Star Destroyer (Challenger Bros around here always have a way louder exhaust than their car is fast and tend to usually look over all racey as a result, I'm not out racing so go do whatever you want, brah) but then did a little downward glance over my left shoulder at the front fender to see...and whoa. A little hellbadge.

We slowly pulled out to about 25, sort of thumbs-upping each other & grinning, I gave it a little blip in 2nd to nudge ahead of him, give him the "show me what's up" move, and then he absolutely crushed it and took off like a rocket ship, terrifying both me and my car with the sheer raucousness of that acceleration and noise. I can't remember a louder and more aggressive sounding exhaust crackle on anything I've run into as he decelerated a couple seconds (and 10 lengths ahead of me), and this is in LA where insane cars are everywhere.

I just started literally LOL'ing as he flew by and was still laughing when I got up to him at the street ahead where he was turning off. He had that "Yep, that's most people's reaction" face on, while giving me a thumbs up again which I obviously returned. Now I definitely want to see that SRT Demon that's coming out because got-drat, that 700+ hp from the Hellcat was pretty awesome.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's cool but street racing is dumb

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, but no one was racing so it's okay. You can tell no one was racing by the way the story is told there, and the fact no one exceeded the street's speed limit.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, but no one was racing so it's okay. You can tell no one was racing by the way the story is told there, and the fact no one exceeded the street's speed limit.

This was how I understood the narrative being told. It wasn't from a dig and didn't sound like you were trying to be something on the autobahn.

I've seen more hellcats on the road but have yet to see anyone dipping into the throttle yet. I heard one getting on a highway onramp I'm guessing at a 'breathing on throttle' pace and it sounded like the devil wanting to free himself from a V block. These cars are cool and scary but more scary are the third and fourth owners in a few years time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Where are you going to be Aug 21 for the Eclipse?
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

I'm a few (OK, 6 or so) hours from seeing possibly the best chance at a total eclipse in my life. Mrs Slidebite and I decided we'd best try to see it.

Best/closest area is in the middle of butt-gently caress nowhere, Idaho, only to discover hotel rooms solidly booked for Pocatello and Idaho Falls already. Being the height of summer probably doesn't help matters much. Ended up just booking Butte, Mt which is 3 hours North from the main path of totality but works well because we can take in Lewis and Clark caverns the day before and just need to leave the room by 7AM to be ~somewhere~ in the path to see it.

Those of you in the US and SW Canada, are you going to try to see it?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ether Frenzy posted:

Cool. I guess I misread took off like a rocket ship and shifting to get ahead. My bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The last few months have been fantastic. Probably the best that I can remember. I've spent a lot of time getting healthier but something is wrong.

I have a sharp pain in my upper back, to the right of my spine. Tonight I discovered a small bump on the skin and it's the epicenter of the pain. So I'm a tad worried. Good thing I have that handy Obamacare finally sorted out right?

Oh look, the only general practitioner that accepts this lovely insurance and is accepting new patients is 143 miles away. So I probably have spinal cancer and will no doubt die in a week.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Oh look, the only general practitioner that accepts this lovely insurance and is accepting new patients is 143 miles away. So I probably have spinal cancer and will no doubt die in a week.

lol stop 14"ing. Probably just a cyst.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

lol stop 14"ing. Probably just a cyst.

I've been having back pain for a few weeks now, I figured I was just loving up my squats and deadlifts so cut the weight and have taken it a bit easy. This sensation became noticeable very recently and today it feels like I've got something stabbing me in the back. I hope it's just a cyst but I've had those before and they never hurt like this.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
my spouse had one on his back about the size of a quarter that was hurting like a mofo. I removed it for him around 3 years ago.

we didnt have healtcare.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

cursedshitbox posted:

my spouse had one on his back about the size of a quarter that was hurting like a mofo. I removed it for him around 3 years ago.

we didnt have healtcare.

It's not like PDR, you shouldn't be able to pound them out from the inside.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

we didnt have healtcare.

I don't even know if this is a cyst yet. That's the problem. The bump is tiny.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

I don't even know if this is a cyst yet. That's the problem. The bump is tiny.

You were bitten by an previously unknown venomous spider and are going to die.. or turn into Spiderman. I suggest finding a tailor that can make you a suit.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Some infantryman on the base across the street is selling a 1993 SVT Lightning for not obscenely expensive. In my slightly inebriated state I'm thinking of what I can sell to get it.

I have such a soft spot for limited run performance vehicles. Already had an SVT Contour and MS6.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

especially since i also plan on purchasing an autozam az-1 down the line because i am completely mental and like extremely dumb poo poo.

:hfive:

You are supremely cool for wanting one of these.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

i also plan on purchasing an autozam az-1 down the line because i am completely mental and like extremely dumb poo poo.
There is nothing mental or dumb about this.

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's not like PDR, you shouldn't be able to pound them out from the inside.
Hahaha.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

slidebite posted:

Where are you going to be Aug 21 for the Eclipse?
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

Those of you in the US and SW Canada, are you going to try to see it?

We're directly in the path, and it's my bday.

Apparently every hotel in mid state SC is booked, and the Columbia local govt is encouraging people to airbnb their extra rooms (trying to pull in every tourist dollar they can). We're finishing up our guest room remodel and thinking about renting it out just for the eclipse.

Rhyno is your Mazda a hatch or sedan?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My MS6 is a sedan.

Probably Japanese​ spider bite in my back.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Personal rant, so I apologize.

Theres nothing quite like frequent business travel to make someone question the life choices that brought them here. Like how I thought my job was pretty nice and I was doing well until my plant closed and I had to start flying. Being crammed into a CRJ on a weekly basis has only added to what was already a loving miserable year with the loss of my only child and the plant closing. It feels like being shoved into a kindergarten chair and stuck inside a 55 gallon drum with only a couple air slits to breathe through. Its miserable, painful because i'm so tall my head hits the overhead bin and my knees wind up painfully pinned to the back of the seat in front of me. Its also kinda degrading because I know i'm wide and I am that guy no one wants to be next to, but the flights are 96% full and getting a row to myself isn't possible. So I wind up hunched forward and twisted in an awkward spot just to afford the poor soul sitting next to me the space they paid for. If its even possible, because it seems like they intentionally sit the two biggest guys on the flight next to each other. Frequent flyer programs have been gimped to the point where its a joke, to the point where I feel guilty about even trying for status because the upgrades are so infrequent for someone who flies regional. Like i'm 3 weeks away from the next level but thats not how I want to label myself, I just want to feel like a drat basic human when I sit in their lovely plane. Its gotten to the point where it doesn't matter how my week has gone, that last flight home ruins it no matter how hard I try to stay positive. I quit my last job in 2013 because of the flying and the time it took away from relationships. It was hard to imagine it getting worse in 3 short years but feels like it has. I keep agreeing to contract extensions because of some personal bs sense of obligation and its really starting to turn me into an angry person.

And all of this is such a first world problem that its wrong to even rant about it, and that adds to the misery to the point where it kinda boils over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Never a need to apologize here. What is it that you do for work that requires flying all the time?

• Locked thread