Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indecisive
May 6, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

Need some advice (sorry but I can't just a char dump, don't ask why)

FoFi^Ok

Cleared all of dungeon, Orc, 3 levels of spider. XL 18

Currently wielding a vampiric broad axe plus I have a couple levels of regen thanks to a mutation and some equipment. My shield is large with reflect on it and I'm almost maxed on MR. Basically, my ant man is swole and can literally stand in a crowd and murder everything with my hp barely dropping.

But I found the Katana autumn and a really strong great sword as well...its too late to go down that road, right? I'm already up to 18.5 in Axes. LEave te swords alone, right?

I realize it's too late now but IMO it's too late to switch if you're doing a 3 rune game, and neither of those weapons are good enough to switch for, what you really want as a FoFi is the biggest beefiest weapon you can get below 1.0 delay. Triple sword, exe axe, great mace or bardiche are the goals, I wouldn't switch for a smaller weapon unless you're still like in lair or before probably and find a high enchanted artifact/gift. It's part of why I kinda prefer axes as a starting weapon, you crosstrain maces and polearms, both solid weapon types, while long swords only crosstrains short swords which is useless to a non-stabber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Being reckless due to searching for portal vaults is getting me many deaths this week. Got an OpTm to lair, and run into a porcupine at low hp while hunting for the volcano. I tried iceform, but that isn't really much AC so the spines still got me. Every time I was almost ready to buy a shop from Gozag, I ended up using a potion petition instead so I only had one ring. (I feel like there's no point in buying with less than $400 to spend and a Potion Petition in reserve? You can't afford much for less than $400 usually). Sadly, I died with 2 !exp unknown - bad luck on my ID ordering, as I had IDed several 2-stacks.

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/rchandra/morgue-rchandra-20170625-171648.txt

pre:
rchandra the Martial Artist (level 11, -1/79 (81) HPs)
             Began as an Octopode Transmuter on June 25, 2017.
             Was an Initiate of Gozag.
             Impaled on a porcupine's spines (12 damage)
             ... on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts.
             The game lasted 00:52:56 (16764 turns).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

vulturesrow posted:

Your thoughts on the broadaxe though? I felt like the damage output was sufficient, especially with vampiric and 2 levels of regen. I just got lazy in Shoals basically.

Someone want to throw some tips at me on early-to-midgame Necromancer?
Broad axe is absolutely fine to take to the end of a 3 rune game(or farther tbqh). Yes, on a Fo you want a bigger axe, but it's worth sticking with the broad axe because it has vamp. Finesse+vamp axe in the middle of a crowd of enemies makes you invincible.

I have multiple wins with morningstars/broad axes. They're serviceable weapons thru the whole game, and having SH(as normal size species which can't with bigger weapons) is very good. The +2 base damage you get from going up to battleaxe isn't irrelevant, but it's also not a huge deal either.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
On a DsAK what level of invo are you looking for and how early do you want build it up?

Also stilll looking for advice on early to midgame Ne play. ;)

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

On a DsAK what level of invo are you looking for and how early do you want build it up?

Also stilll looking for advice on early to midgame Ne play. ;)

Regarding necro play, I generally learn animate skele at level one and play like a hybrid, picking up the first weapon I find and fighting with my skeletons. I train a weapon skill (polearms preferably) asap and turn off necromancy once I can cast vamp drain decently enough, turning it back on when the weapon is close to mindelay. I run ahead of my minions and swap with them if I start taking too much damage. Use vamp drain to heal yourself mid fight and to kill high EV things (bees). Learn animate dead before control undead if you're strong enough to handle early undead threats (wights generally), learn control undead first if you can't. All the skills are geared towards being a hybrid though so don't gimp yourself and try to just use your spells.

After that it's just using what you find. You don't have to go just Kiku either. Oka, Mak, Ash, etc. all work, and a lot of other gods

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 26, 2017

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Got my fastest win yet with a simple HoFi of Oka, pretty unremarkable game overall except...

quote:

Shops:
Vaults:5 *:*==!?%[!%%%!

14 shops on Vaults 5 :psyduck: for a total of 33 shops in the game, and 2 bazaars.. wasn't a whole lot to buy though for me, i dropped 2500 on a gold dragon armor from Orc right before vaults:5 to get the extra resists and armor.

I feel like I'm making a lot of improvement, but I'm still not good enough to do well with less strong combos or gods. I did manage to get a DrWn of Gozag through lair and orc though after starting with a +2 quarterstaff, ultimately spread my skills out too much though because I couldn't decide what weapon to use. Also had to buy a food shop after running completely out of food in lair, so I'm probably doing something wrong there.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I think that Crawl god have forgiven me for screwing up a really good FoFi run I had going earlier this week. My current run I've just finished Lair and Ok has gifted me Trog's Wrath and a +9 CPA with +9 MP(lol) and +5 Dex. I also got a flaming +6 war axe randart before lair with some stats on it as well which made my hydra problems non-existent (which is good because there were a ton of hydras in lair). I also have boots of running which is really nice. Havent found a large shield yet though and I really need some MR. Rings and amulets have been very sparse.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

vulturesrow posted:

I think that Crawl god have forgiven me for screwing up a really good FoFi run I had going earlier this week. My current run I've just finished Lair and Ok has gifted me Trog's Wrath and a +9 CPA with +9 MP(lol) and +5 Dex. I also got a flaming +6 war axe randart before lair with some stats on it as well which made my hydra problems non-existent (which is good because there were a ton of hydras in lair). I also have boots of running which is really nice. Havent found a large shield yet though and I really need some MR. Rings and amulets have been very sparse.

I had a FoFi who found the dead finger necklace cheap in a shop on d4. "Sweet three ring time!" I didn't find a ring until end of Lair.

It was See Invisible :(

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Half of Dracula posted:

gently caress the Abyss, lost a great character in there for the second time in a row. I can't kill enough Starcursed Masses to stop getting paralyzed for turns at a time because I keep getting paralyzed for turns at a time while they multiply

Star cursed Masses are bullshit and the only crutch of threat the abyss relies upon.

Crawl is bad.

E: devs please allow any Starcursed mass to use Torment

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Abyss is a Good Branch and I'll not hear otherwise.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Abyss is the worst branch

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Abyss is a branch.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Decrepus posted:

Star cursed Masses are bullshit and the only crutch of threat the abyss relies upon.

Crawl is bad.

E: devs please allow any Starcursed mass to use Torment

Please no I lost my next character to Brimstone Fiends chain tormenting me into a 31 - 40 Damnation combo. Should have had more than three pips of rN

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i looked at the wiki for this game and how ocme they removed so many races and classes? thats like the opposite of what most roguelikes do

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i looked at the wiki for this game and how ocme they removed so many races and classes? thats like the opposite of what most roguelikes do
A lot of them were redundant. The most recent casualties were High Elves, because they didn't really do anything interesting except have "good at swords and magic" apts. They were sorta-replaced by the Barachi, hopping frogmen who are also good at swords and magic.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The +12 glaive "Fasoicoi" {pain, Str+4 Int+2}

In a shop in orc for 1600 gold. I'm a TeAE mostly leaning on lightning spire, ice beasts, and lightning bolt.

I got pretty lucky and found 3 demon tridents in lair - draining, flaming, and venom. Also have a vampiric glaive. Should I lean more heavily into summons and start training polearms for that sweet sweet reaching? Should I just pump conj and use ood? I have too many good things going on and I'm not sure which to go with.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/hooplah/hooplah.txt

Here's the spells I have access to right now:

Spell recommendations would be cool too - I haven't used most of the newer high level stuff.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The devs have a weird and unfortunate obsession with pruning features they consider redundant, regardless of whether they actually are or how much the general community enjoys said features.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I still haven't forgiven them for sludge elves.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Hooplah posted:

In a shop in orc for 1600 gold. I'm a TeAE mostly leaning on lightning spire, ice beasts, and lightning bolt.

I got pretty lucky and found 3 demon tridents in lair - draining, flaming, and venom. Also have a vampiric glaive. Should I lean more heavily into summons and start training polearms for that sweet sweet reaching? Should I just pump conj and use ood? I have too many good things going on and I'm not sure which to go with.

You're pretty well split between Conjurations and Summons as your highest skills and you can definitely start pivoting into a hybrid build from what you found as you have no weapon skill trained. However bear in mind your current investment into Air magic doesn't synergize particularly well with hybridizing down with Summons for three reasons:
1. Only Lightning Spire meshes with the spell school directly.
2. Your lack of Charms (and the -2 skill aptitude for it) means you're going to struggle getting Deflect Missile castable, which is the other big reason to be investing in Air.
3. The big spells at the end of Air (Chain Lightning and Tornado) will more than likely hit your summons AND does not work with Spellforged Servitor.

This doesn't mean the polearm/summon meatwall route is a terrible idea and with your current spells available you have a path to build down (Mana Vipers for spellcasters, Hydra for big damage/distraction, Spellforged Servitor to use your Conjurations) and then you hope you luck into the more general use summons like Shadow Creatures or Monstrous Menagerie by the time you're into Depths.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Internet Kraken posted:

The devs have a weird and unfortunate obsession with pruning features they consider redundant, regardless of whether they actually are or how much the general community enjoys said features.

that blows. I wondered why there were only dark dwarves and dark elves. sludge elves sound cool, I want a slime race in this game. I don't know that redundancy is necessarily a problem if its just different flavour things.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Hooplah posted:

Here's the spells I have access to right now:

Spell recommendations would be cool too - I haven't used most of the newer high level stuff.

That glaive is amazing. I'd use either whichever demon trident has the highest enchant, or if equal, draining, or maybe the vampiric glaive until you can work up enough polearms and a little necromancy to use the randart. Sif Muna will eventually give you access to necromancy and Te have a nice aptitude for it, so I would make that your tentative endgame plan, if the cards play out right. Note, this is not the optimal plan, it's the plan that let's you get the most use out of a crazy randart that you won't have a chance to play with again. The major spells to look for are first, death channel, then infestation. Both are really amazing and can carry you through Zot, though death channel falls off later on. Infestation pretty much destroys everything and is really fun and cool.

In the short term, you should shore up your defenses. A little more into fighting and dodging will help you to survive. After that, Conjurations for OoD as a major nuke is probably in order. Then start branching into polearms and pick up a little hexes for silence. If necro/summoning doesn't pan out, you can always go hard in air for chain lightning and tornado, but if you don't, don't sweat the "wasted" investment. Your aptitude is amazing, so it's not expensive, and it means less investment in your terrible hexes aptitude to get Silence, which is absolutely worth it. Hexes also gets you access to mana vipers, which are super good. If by this point you don't have any necromancy to invest in, then aim for spellforged servitor. Choose one attack spell and drop all the others. OoD is a decent choice, but risky, because the servitor might blow you up with it. If you use an OoD servitor, never fight in front of it, always cast it and retreat. Iron shot is another solid, much safer choice. At that point you should be pretty much set for the end game and just need to inflate your numbers.

In short, my plan, geared for fun, but probably not strictly optimal play, would be:

1. A little more defense.
2. OoD.
3. Polearms and hexes for silence and mana vipers.
4. Necromancy, if it's shown up. If not, spellforged servitor.
5. Necromancy, if it's shown up. If not, chain lightning and tornado.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Welp of course I died. Had my first ever encounter with an entropy weaver (in Spider:2 no less). They really are a giant gently caress you to melee aren't they? :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Welp of course I died. Had my first ever encounter with an entropy weaver (in Spider:2 no less). They really are a giant gently caress you to melee aren't they? :(
How in the habit are you with stair dancing?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

If you're playing trunk, they and corrosion have been toned down a little recently. But yeah, they are not easy enemies for sure

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

that blows. I wondered why there were only dark dwarves and dark elves. sludge elves sound cool, I want a slime race in this game. I don't know that redundancy is necessarily a problem if its just different flavour things.

Flavor builds up eventually and creates an enormous wall of knowledge for newer players to learn. Some removed questions involving redundancy:
-Which of the 5 types of elves are the ones closest to what I actually want to play?
-What is the difference between elvish, orcish, dwarvish, and normal armor and when do I wear a particular type?
-How do I tell apart the two types of bonuses on my weapons, and which of the three types of enchantment scrolls improve the type I want (and why do they sometimes fail)?
-Why would I worship Yred or Ely from an altar when I can start with them at the beginning of the game with more piety?
-How do I train Charms late in the game so that I can actually cast the higher level spells?

Redundancy matters a lot more from a new player perspective than an experienced player, since an experienced player has already learned about it. The experienced player only sees the removal (flavor and mechanics) and not whether it was significantly different enough to be worth the time spent learning.

At times I wonder if there would still be a lot of species removal complaints in particular if the player could set the species name in their rcfile.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

At times I wonder if there would still be a lot of species removal complaints in particular if the player could set the species name in their rcfile.
BRB, playing a Dildo Chaos Knight.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Floodkiller posted:

Flavor builds up eventually and creates an enormous wall of knowledge for newer players to learn. Some removed questions involving redundancy:
-Which of the 5 types of elves are the ones closest to what I actually want to play?
-What is the difference between elvish, orcish, dwarvish, and normal armor and when do I wear a particular type?
-How do I tell apart the two types of bonuses on my weapons, and which of the three types of enchantment scrolls improve the type I want (and why do they sometimes fail)?
-Why would I worship Yred or Ely from an altar when I can start with them at the beginning of the game with more piety?
-How do I train Charms late in the game so that I can actually cast the higher level spells?

Redundancy matters a lot more from a new player perspective than an experienced player, since an experienced player has already learned about it. The experienced player only sees the removal (flavor and mechanics) and not whether it was significantly different enough to be worth the time spent learning.

Yeah, if you ever get mad about the devs removing stuff fire up a copy of .15 or something and earnestly try to explain it to a friend who's never played. Having done an LP right before they removed item destruction, permanent corrosion, etc., I'm 100% on the removal train.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
At least we don't have pizza and hammers anymore............................ I was so confused I would just hold my head in my hands and rock back in forth groaning every time I saw those!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Someone tell me how to DEFE. Its been a long time since I played one. Especially since I've forgotten all the clever ways to use Conjure Flame.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Train Conjurations/Fire roughly equally, Spellcasting when you're feeling like you need either more spell slots or a bigger MP pool. Ignore Throw Flame because Flame Tongue is roughly as good, Conjure Flame to give you some utility blocking off paths to your squishy frame, Inner Flame debatable (I tend to skip it because I prefer direct damage over eventual damage), Sticky Flame for kiting purposes and Fireball is your bread and butter spell for a good long time (doesn't miss, AOE). Braindead god choice is Vehumet because they make blasting better in all ways and usually easy access to Firestorm which is your end goal.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
thank goodness we are free from the cruel tyranny of the boulder beetles

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
the frogman and dogman is good, the elf is evil

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

someone awful. posted:

If you're playing trunk, they and corrosion have been toned down a little recently. But yeah, they are not easy enemies for sure

Has trunk been updated recently? I keep checking the one page but there hasn't been a new version uploaded since 5-17

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Which page are you checking? https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commits/master shows activity and the trunk game on jorgun rocks says it is 0.21-a0-91-ga5031da which matches the newest commit.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

After playing this game for over 6 years, I finally hit greaterplayer yesterday (not counting Gnoll; I only play stable):

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/setecastronomy.html

My first win was actually an offline KoWz; I still have a soft spot for that combo all these years later. It's amazing to see how much this game has improved since I started playing, even if there have been major missteps along the way (I'm looking at you, shadow traps).

The hardest race for me by far was Octopode; I lost a series of high-level OpEEs before finally winning one. Least favorite race definitely Vp, because I hate everything to do with food in this game (except for Gh chunk-healing, which is nice because less pressing 5). Felid was much more fun than expected; gonna try to win a melee Felid some time soon.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sorry, I dunno about those, I only play online webtiles. I'm sure someone else in the thread will have an answer (or maybe even fix it, not sure if any goons control the website).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Playing DEFE^Veh. Jsut started clearing Lair. Have a staff of conjuration and energy, which is my default wield? There is a bookshop when I can get a Book of Conjurations, nothing else really of note. I did find the book of Misfortune and the Spatial Transolocations one. Whats spells should I add to the repertoire? Should I buy the book of conjurations? (by the way this is .18 so the Conjurations book has Battlesphere ;) )

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

vulturesrow posted:

Playing DEFE^Veh. Jsut started clearing Lair. Have a staff of conjuration and energy, which is my default wield? There is a bookshop when I can get a Book of Conjurations, nothing else really of note. I did find the book of Misfortune and the Spatial Transolocations one. Whats spells should I add to the repertoire? Should I buy the book of conjurations? (by the way this is .18 so the Conjurations book has Battlesphere ;) )

Default to the staff of conjurations, switch to energy if you need more mp. Food shouldn't be a problem in lair and conjurations makes your spells more mp efficient by increasing power, so it's worth it to take an extra turn for staff switching when you run low. Buy the book of Conjurations for battlesphere which is worth having for all of a 3-rune game. Consider Mystic Blast if you don't have a good non-fire mid-level attack spell. You'll want blink and maybe passage of golubria if you have the best attack spell available to you mastered. Throw the Book of Misfortune in the trash. The only status effect you inflict is "dead".

Consider necromancy or summoning as a support school if you can find the books for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Remind me why Conjurers needed to lose Battlesphere in their starting book and become a bad starting class again

• Locked thread