Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
This is like when a show tries to ramp up for the season finale but forgot to actually lay down the groudwork for it, so suddenly a bunch of big poo poo happens at once out of nowhere in an attempt to get every plotline to resolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Libs normalised racism and ran hard to the right to radicalise voters and now their party is full of empowered racist wing nuts. They created a monster and now the party of Fraser is on the leash of uncompromising crazies who will destroy their own party than give ground to even the slightly-less-bigoted.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Going full out apologetic immediately is massively disarming for enemies who will immediately become the Bad Guys if they press an attack.

Unless you are a lady muslim who speaks about anzac day.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Taqiyya

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
This is cool

quote:

From the outside, it looks like a green shipping container on an industrial block in the suburbs. But on the inside, there's plenty going on.

The box is part of a little-known but growing Melbourne Water network of "mini-hydro" electric plants generating electricity in suburban Melbourne, and in the hills beyond.

Play
Unmute
Current Time 0:01
/
Duration Time 1:07
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%

Fullscreen
Play Video
MORE ENVIRONMENT NEWS VIDEOSPrevious slide Next slide
null
Shipping containers are becoming ...
null
Video duration
01:07
Fire in southern Spain threatens natural ...
null
Video duration
01:17
Earth's killer heat will get worse
null
Video duration
01:06
Whales arrive in Port Phillip Bay
null
Video duration
01:24
War on Waste: coffee cup dilemma
null
Video duration
01:49
Climate policy debate intensifies
null
Video duration
01:34
Severe weather warning for northern NSW
MORE VIDEOS
Shipping containers are becoming mini-hydro plants
They were once a way to store or transport, now they're helping generate renewable power for Melbourne homes.
With the addition of Melbourne Water's 14th hydroelectric plant, a "mini-hydro" to be turned on on Thursday in Mt Waverley, Melbourne Water's hydroelectric system generates enough power to supply more than 14,100 homes. Eleven of the plants are "mini-hydro" plants.

It's a system that the water company hopes to expand further.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE
SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET
LINK

http://www.theage.com.au/business/inside-melbournes-secret-suburban-hydro-power-system-20170626-gwyv5e.html
Melbourne water senior project manager Ian Royston at a new ''mini-hydro'' plant in Dandenong North.
Melbourne water senior project manager Ian Royston at a new ''mini-hydro'' plant in Dandenong North. Photo: Joe Armao
"We are looking at up to 10 sites in our stage three program, which is in feasibility study now," said Melbourne Water senior project manager Ian Royston, during a visit to the new Dandenong North "mini-hydro".

This plant, which sits between two huge water storage tanks and EastLink, and about 40 metres away from the closest house, started operating in April. It is one of five new "mini-hydro" plants commissioned since December.

Water rushes through the pipe into the plant at a rate of about 40 megalitres per day, spinning a large turbine at about 1520RPM to create electricity.

BUSINESS AM NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.

Enter your email address
By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media's terms and conditions and privacy policy .
The end result from this plant is about 1273 megawatt hours of electricity per year, enough to power about 259 homes.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE
SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET
LINK

http://www.theage.com.au/business/inside-melbournes-secret-suburban-hydro-power-system-20170626-gwyv5e.html
Ian Royston, from Melbourne Water, inspects the new ''mini-hydro'' plant at Dandenong North.
Ian Royston, from Melbourne Water, inspects the new ''mini-hydro'' plant at Dandenong North. Photo: Joe Armao
After it produces electricity, the water is then stored in the vast storage tanks nearby, and eventually emerges from kitchen and bathroom taps, shower heads and hoses in Melbourne's south eastern suburbs. It is safe drinking water.

graphic
SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE
SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET
LINK

The new Dandenong North mini-hydro plant is at the top of the photo, above the two huge water storage tanks.
The new Dandenong North mini-hydro plant is at the top of the photo, above the two huge water storage tanks. Photo: Joe Armao
"Looking at our water supply system business, as we've progressively built hydro generation, we now produce more electricity than we consume," Mr Royston said.

The five new mini-hydros are at Mt Waverley, Dandenong North, Wantirna, Boronia and on the Cardinia Creek at Cardinia Reservoir.

The Mt Waverley plant will produce the most power of the five new sites, about 2270 megawatt hours of electricity per year, or enough to power about 462 homes.

Water Minister Lisa Neville lauded the mini-hydro plants, describing them as "a win for the environment and a win for water consumers".

She also said: "Electricity is one of the biggest costs for water authorities. Projects like these help drive down these costs, and reduce water bills for households."

Mr Royston said Melbourne Water would produce more than 69,500 megawatt hours of power per year via hydroelectric generation with the addition of the five plants.

"Using excess pressure inherent in Melbourne Water's water supply system to generate renewable electricity means we are harnessing a natural, sustainable and reliable source of energy, rather than letting this energy go to waste" he said.

Each of the five new mini-hydro plants cost between $1 million and $3 million to design, construct, install and connect to the electricity grid and water supply network.

"Renewable energy created by the plants helps to generate Large Renewable Energy Certificates (LREC) managed through the REC (Renewable Energy Registry). Melbourne Water then sells these certificates in order to generate revenue which ultimately goes back to the taxpayer as part of Melbourne Water's dividend to the State," he said.

The hydroelectric power generated earns a decent return for Melbourne Water, which is paid by a power company for feeding electricity into the grid. Melbourne Water also earns money from trading LRECs, which currently trade on the spot market at about $76 per megawatt hour and are bought by companies to satisfy requirements under the renewable energy target. On current prices LRECs could generate about $3.3 million a year for Melbourne Water, given that most of the power it produces qualifies for the scheme.

The water rushing through the turbine at Dandenong North is certainly used efficiently. Most of it has already been fed through mini-hydro plants at the Upper Yarra Dam, Silvan Dam, and Cardinia Reservoir, before it flows on a 20 kilometre journey to Dandenong North.

graphic
Melbourne Water's counterparts in New South Wales, at Sydney Water, also have a range of plants producing energy. It has three mini-hydro systems on its network, at Prospect, Woronora and North Head.
"We also have eight co-generation systems in wastewater treatment plants, which take biogas from wastewater treatment and use it to create heat and electricity," said Paul Plowman from Sydney Water.
"Sydney Water produces enough energy to power over 11,000 homes each year, reducing greenhouse gas emissions by over 70,000 tonnes a year, which is the equivalent of keeping 17,500 cars off the road for a year," he said.

Melbourne Water's Mr Royston said the organisation had received many inquiries from water authorities interested to hear about the growing mini-hydro network. "We're always taking someone on a tour," he said.

They were manufactured by the New Zealand company Hydro Works.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
hahaha
http://www.theage.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/domain-enters-mortgage-broking-game-with-lendi-20170622-gww3o5.html

i guess you can expect even less unbiased articles about the housing bubble from fairfax now

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

The only saving grace the left wing in the Greens has for their stupidity is the fact that the Right are bumbling alcoholic morons.

Somehow, no matter how badly the left fucks up, the rightists manage to be even dumber.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Max Phillips is a Buckingham (right-wing Nat shithead) staffer. Jarah Crook is/was apparently also a Buckingham staffer, frequently donated money to Buckingham for use in preselections (alledgedly, not sure).

Green MP staffers are now both rapists and protecting rapists by threatening lawsuits.

Burn the Greens NSW to the ground. The good ones can split.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You could've cleaned up that copy paste job

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/adfa-rape-case-hears-day-two-of-evidence/8661060

quote:

When asked why she kissed him, she replied: "because I wanted to". She acknowledged that the kiss was consensual, but said it was a "kiss between friends".

The defence asked if she conceded that she was giving off "mixed messages".

DO YOU CONCEDE THAT BECAUSE YOU FELL ASLEEP AT THIS DUDES HOUSE AFTER KISSING HIM, YOU ASKED TO BE RAPED?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cardinal George Pell is set to be charged on summons regarding serious sex offences on Thursday.

Victoria Police are expected to announce the charges within hours.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Cardinal George Pell is set to be charged on summons regarding serious sex offences on Thursday.

Deus Vult

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

fatty detected

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Synthbuttrange posted:

Tim Minchin should start writing a new version of his song.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Recoome posted:

fatty detected

once again the trotskyists have failed in the dialectic and are forced to resort to false personal attacks

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Sick leaks from the Church this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTwG6xdLGBY

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Cardinal Pell to face child abuse charges:

https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/cardinal-george-pell-set-to-face-abuse-charges-reports-ng-b88521873z

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The pictures of Abbott glaring from corners that they find for reporting on his sniping are always amazing

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

There was an article in the conversation when the rumours of it came out a few months ago that detailed this will be the first time a cardinal has been charged with this - ever.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

How did the Greens gently caress this up so badly? When the liberal party are falling apart over Pyne's leak, how do they let themselves compete for that headline?

"As the third party, we occupy a unique and important position in politics. Sometimes we have to negotiate with the government, sometimes we stand absolutely opposed. Naturally, this dynamic can create tensions within the party, depending on what people see as the most appropriate approach at the time. We welcome these differences, and think they make us stronger as a party. We are not going to get torn apart over whether or not all of our senators in all of our states agree with all of our policies. Gonski 2.0 got through, we think that’s good, Rhiannon (and/or NSW) disagrees, and that’s fine, because as a party we are strong enough to be able to handle differing opinions.

Politics is big and complicated and we are not going to expect a room full of people as bright and passionate as our members to agree on everything all the time. We are committed to fighting for a fair and progressive society in a mature fashion [insert corbyn / sanders platform] etc etc etc."

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 29, 2017

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

norp posted:

There was an article in the conversation when the rumours of it came out a few months ago that detailed this will be the first time a cardinal has been charged with this - ever.

throw the book at him

no, the other book. poo poo

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Wait sorry did Rhiannon disagree or was she bound by the NSW Greens decision. I'm really confused now

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Bet you all wished you lived in Sydney now

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

if they really wanted to be original they'd put the padlocks on the guys

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-29/cardinal-george-pell-charged-sexual-assault-offences/8547668

itshappening.gif

quote:

Cardinal George Pell has been charged with multiple counts of historical child sexual assault offences.

Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton from Victoria Police said the Vatican-based Cardinal was required to appear at the Melbourne Magistrates Court on July 18.

He said the charges were served on Cadinal Pell's legal representatives in Melbourne, and that they involved multiple complainants.

Last July, police confirmed they were formally investigating complaints about offences that are alleged to have occurred in Ballarat in the 1970s.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

universe brain: design cities to accomodate the use of the fleshy appendages we call 'legs'

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

NTRabbit posted:

But what does this mean for Sarah Hanson-Young's leadership ambitions?
Hopefully an icepick to the forehead. Does this make me a Trotskist?

You know what else is cool? Editing.

You Am I posted:

You could've cleaned up that copy paste job
Seconded.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Where does this poo poo come from? How are they calculating the road space utilization efficiency thing?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Bogan King posted:

Bet you all wished you lived in Sydney now

Gross af when you've heard the exact analogy used a thousand times about why male promiscuity is good, but women are sluts.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Cartoon posted:

Hopefully an icepick to the forehead. Does this make me a Trotskist?

the opposite, actually.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Recoome posted:

Wait sorry did Rhiannon disagree or was she bound by the NSW Greens decision. I'm really confused now

Probably both, which is why they are so pissed off by it. If it was just her or just the party they could spin this far more positively.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

"ok yes he's been charged but we mustn't interfere with the course of justice so nobody talk about it. Much like I would also do for every other person charged with anything. "

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Anidav taking full advantage of the situation:

NSW Left posted:

For a limited time only, half-price memberships for disaffected Green party members! nswleft.com/join

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Failed Australian political parties in modern history.

The Australian Democrats

see also The Australian Greens

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
let's not get ahead of ourselves. one public spat over ideology is hardly a failed party.

you also left out PUP and the Fred Nile Experience.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

Failed Australian political parties in modern history.

The Australian Democrats

see also The Australian Greens

The ALP and Liberals have both removed sitting prime ministers from within their own party and are constantly dealing with poo poo like this. Bernadi's spun off, PHON is loving up, PUP hosed up, Democrats are gone, even the bloody Motoring party lost Muir to the Shooters. And the high speed rail party aren't contesting any more either.

So... what's a successful party?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The ones that form governments.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Hobo Erotica posted:

Where does this poo poo come from? How are they calculating the road space utilization efficiency thing?

That claim is arguably correct. Cyclists take up less space than drivers, but far more than a bus or tram at full capacity. It glosses over the energy efficiency and cycling being the most space efficient of the personal point to point transport options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

The ones that form governments.

And then support draconian state sponsored surveillance and tropical rape death camps am I rite

• Locked thread