Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Probably not exciting as "CHRIS PAUL THINKS ABOUT THINGS" but word for the Pels is that it seems more likely Jrue would sign with the team but the Pels might have to try to bring in Justin Holiday to seal the deal.

So, Knicks fans, I never watch your apparently misery inducing team. How much do you think Justin Holiday is worth, contract wise? Because I'm really dreading blowing our 8.3mil exception on him as like a tagalong price to signing Jrue when we seriously need shooting and passing on the wings. If he's only commanding 3 mil on the market then we have two smaller exceptions that could fill that out, which is what I'm hoping is the end result here.

Lost in the hubbub about PJaxxxxxxxxxxxxxx but, from what I was reading throughout the season is that Justin is a quality bench 3&D player. He is 28, though. His early bird salary (I have no idea what this means) with the Knicks is 7.8M and, from what I understand, they would like to keep him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Melo aside, firing Jackson means they probably don't trade Porzingis, which the best move for their future.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I put whatever team has Chris Paul at #2 behind Cleveland in the LeBron Likely 2019 Playing Place. So that is a reason to sign him.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Stop teasing me SI

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/28/boston-celtics-superteam-isaiah-thomas-paul-george-gordon-hayward

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Carmelo is gonna be celebrating with a big bowl of honey nut cheerios

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Rick posted:

I put whatever team has Chris Paul at #2 behind Cleveland in the LeBron Likely 2019 Playing Place. So that is a reason to sign him.

Harden, CP3, Lebron would be goooooooood. (also probably not possible)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It must be standing on a box

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Woj is going to be ESPN insider lol

I wonder if he will be behind their dumb paywall

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kibner posted:

Lost in the hubbub about PJaxxxxxxxxxxxxxx but, from what I was reading throughout the season is that Justin is a quality bench 3&D player. He is 28, though. His early bird salary (I have no idea what this means) with the Knicks is 7.8M and, from what I understand, they would like to keep him.

It's a Bird Rights exception you get after 2 years, but its limited by how much you can pay. So in this case, they can offer up to 7.8M and have it under the exception. If they go over that, they need to sign him under cap room instead. Having watched him on the Bulls he seems like a lower-end rotation player who plays okayish-to-good defense. Not the end of the world as far as 8 million goes.

euphronius posted:

Woj is going to be ESPN insider lol

I wonder if he will be behind their dumb paywall

He'll tweet out encrypted rumors. Become an ESPN insider and get the decryption key.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dolan wants Ujiri

Huh. Not terrible !!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/880045376392355841

at least the press conferences would be a lot more colorful

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/C_Cappella/status/879959539927437313

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, I hope Phil retires to his Montana ranch at this point and stops looming over franchises.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lakers lucked out .

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome to Cleveland Phil

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Apparently Houston is calling around looking for teams with cap space so they can dump Ryan Anderson. They appear to be pretty confident in their CP3 chase.

Why would Chris Paul go to Houston though? I don't think that's his best destination at all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bashez posted:

Apparently Houston is calling around looking for teams with cap space so they can dump Ryan Anderson. They appear to be pretty confident in their CP3 chase.

Why would Chris Paul go to Houston though? I don't think that's his best destination at all.

I think people are reading this as him trying to force LA to give him the full $200 million deal, which makes sense

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't think there is anyone in America worse at their job than James Dolan.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://www.instagram.com/p/BV4cXCiD7cD/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently Chris Broussard didn't vote for Avery Bradley all defensive team because Booker scored 70 against the Celtics. Bradley didn't play that game.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

yea def know big orange examples come to mind

If Masai gets a crazy offer he should take it. He can get paid

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/880016915275677696

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/880057177603440640

mcmagic posted:

yes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BWV posted:

yea def know big orange examples come to mind

If Masai gets a crazy offer he should take it. He can get paid

Oh I know....

As for Masai, why would a promising young exec want to enter Dolan's cesspool? No one comes out with their career intact.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So they didn't fire him . 99% over the melo buyout imho.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Well, do I have news for you

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

euphronius posted:

The funny thing is that buying Melo out is the right thing to do.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Well, do I have news for you

He might not be WORSE than Trump, but he's just as bad as his job....

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

I mean, the reason they cannot trade Melo is because noted idiot Phil Jackson gave him a no-trade clause for some reason.

Mutually agreeing to part ways because of a hosed up situation that is entirely your own fault might as well be getting fired.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, the reason they cannot trade Melo is because noted idiot Phil Jackson gave him a no-trade clause for some reason.

Mutually agreeing to part ways because of a hosed up situation that is entirely your own fault might as well be getting fired.

Just like noted idiot James Dolan cost himself like 30M by picking up Phil's option a month ago and letting him make the draft pick.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

That, the Noah deal and insistence on the triangle are his three big sins probably

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Just like noted idiot James Dolan cost himself like 30M by picking up Phil's option a month ago and letting him make the draft pick.

It's a mutual agreement . I bet Jackson is leaving money on the table. I don't know if it's been reported

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Under no circumstances should Melo receive a buyout anywhere near the value of his contract
If he wants to get all that money he should waive his NTC, or be a bench player for the Knicks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

euphronius posted:

That, the Noah deal and insistence on the triangle are his three big sins probably

Good thing the Knicks didn't just draft a low ceiling player with their lottery pick just because he fit into the triangle.... lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ragle posted:

Under no circumstances should Melo receive a buyout anywhere near the value of his contract
If he wants to get all that money he should waive his NTC, or be a bench player for the Knicks

why do you care about James Dolan saving money?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

mcmagic posted:

As for Masai, why would a promising young exec want to enter Dolan's cesspool? No one comes out with their career intact.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/880016915275677696

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/880045376392355841

at least the press conferences would be a lot more colorful

He worked the Knicks in the Bargnani trade.

Also, on my phone "Bargnani" autocorrects to "bargain," which is sort of hilarious in this context.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Apparently Chris Broussard didn't vote for Avery Bradley all defensive team because Booker scored 70 against the Celtics. Bradley didn't play that game.

Reminder that Chris Broussard is a huge bigot and a super lovely person!

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

morestuff posted:

I think people are reading this as him trying to force LA to give him the full $200 million deal, which makes sense

Is there any way they weren't offering him a full deal?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I forgot Ujiri was the one who traded melo to the knicks.

This is fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ragle posted:

ITT we take hard line stances on a literal multi billionaires cash savings that has zero effect on the cap situation on the team.

Like you are going to have to pay him his money one way or another. Amd its in the Knicks best interest to lose and let Zingis be the focal point of the team. Melo being around only stunts his potential growth while also winning you more games than you want to win.

Its why I hope the Bulls jettison Wade this off-season with a buyout or something.

Wade and Melo are still good enough to win you a couple of games that are inexplicably close at the end.That for lottery sloting you probably want to lose.

• Locked thread