Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
^^^

Agree, they need to move on from Melo. They should probably just tell him he won't play if he stays and refuses to waive his NTC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Trust me I get throwing petty for bad players. But I'd prefer that not being at the expense of my rebuilding team.

Owners are rich as gently caress and can spread out the payment forever (rip Gilbet Arenas Magic checks)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ragle posted:

Under no circumstances should Melo receive a buyout anywhere near the value of his contract
If he wants to get all that money he should waive his NTC, or be a bench player for the Knicks

Except Melo doesn't want out? He wants to play in New York. They have to buy him out if they want to get rid of him.

Melo is getting exactly what wants.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Melo isn't blocking anyone's development. Now that they will run an NBA offense Staps should be in better positions even with melo out there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Except Melo doesn't want out? He wants to play in New York. They have to buy him out if they want to get rid of him.

Does he want to sit on the bench in New York?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
https://twitter.com/RTHoopsTalk/status/880031411612332033

Good riddance to this relic. Setting aside everything else like the ntc, triangle crap, ignoring dolan's highly paid and competent scouting staff, loving kurt rambis, bad contacts everyone saw miles away, etc etc etc etc, one of the first thing phil said when he took the job was that he was going to clean up the cloud over the organization and fix the culture around here. And so what did he do during his tenure here? Fire coaching staff for not running the triangle. Leak passive aggressive things to the media through his mouthpieces. Tank the trade value of players he wanted to get rid of and continue insulting the ones he did get rid of for dimes on the dollar. Try to play mindgames with someone almost a fourth of his age or whatever he was doing.

Won't miss him even after dolan rehires isiah or uses a 1st rounder to get masai

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like if you don't play him then he still stays around and gets paid.

It is cutting your nose to spite your face if you just keep Melo around to not play him.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

ragle posted:

Under no circumstances should Melo receive a buyout anywhere near the value of his contract
If he wants to get all that money he should waive his NTC, or be a bench player for the Knicks

Lol it's not Melos fault he got the contract, what poo poo is this

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/879965171912916997

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Seriously the Nets should offer NYK a 55-60 protected 2028 2nd round pick for Melo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dexo posted:

Like if you don't play him then he still stays around and gets paid.

It is cutting your nose to spite your face if you just keep Melo around to not play him.

It's better for the team if he sits.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

That, the Noah deal and insistence on the triangle are his three big sins probably

he made three big moves because he was trying to run the GM triangle

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can't just like ... not play healthy stars.

At the end of the season you can sure. You can't just bench healthy guys at the start of the year . He's only 32. I guess 33.

I don't remember that ever happening in the NBA.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think didn't Denver or Memphis tell iverson to just go away one year ?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Sure. Because he still wins that PR campaign with most people. It looks real bad and the Players Union will likely get involved if a team literally just doesnt play a player trying to force him to waive his contractually negotiated rights.

Like that is literally some garbage and complete bullshit that you guys are literally advocating for.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Seriously the Nets should offer NYK a 55-60 protected 2028 2nd round pick for Melo

The nets would rathet take ryan Anderson for a 1st rounder

A lot of teams need to dump salary this offseason

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Paying Melo 54.2 million dollars to sit on the bench would be monumentally idiotic when they could pay him half of that and buy him out to do effectively the same thing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ragle posted:

Watching the franchise disrespect Melo will only hurt their ability to keep King Zing long term.

Is drafting Porzingis the best thing Phil did for the Knicks?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Melo is also a union officer so benching him because he won't waive his NTc is pretty fishy

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The Knicks falling to the fourth pick was the best thing to happen to the knicks since phil went on the record to boast that he would've ignored the scouting staff who really wanted porzingis over okafor

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Paying Melo 54.2 million dollars to sit on the bench would be monumentally idiotic when they could pay him half of that and buy him out to do effectively the same thing.

But but my precious billionaires James Dolan's money.

Instead we should strong arm the worker into giving up his contractually negotiated money by making his life miserable

That's the totally not insane move to make.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Disliking the way Melo plays is one thing but siding with his sleazebag billionaire boss in hopes that Melo gets screwed out of the money he's owed is some pretty unconscionable poo poo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Watching the franchise disrespect Melo will only hurt their ability to keep King Zing long term.

KP is going to stay for the 250M, not cause he wants to stay.

It's the only POSITIVE thing he did for the Knicks. Everything else he did was a complete disaster.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Disliking the way Melo plays is one thing but siding with his sleazebag billionaire boss in hopes that Melo gets screwed out of the money he's owed is some pretty unconscionable poo poo

I'm not siding with Dolan, it's just best for the team if he's not there and waives his NTC.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Melo deserves whatever terrible fate befalls him.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Without a doubt.

The big issue with Phil was the complete toxic environment he was creating with Melo and how it was effecting the rest of the team. 100% of all the Porzingis stuff is because of the insufferable Melo-Drama which is 100% all Phils fault. If a new dude comes in and just does exactly the same poo poo then they are basically guaranteeing

a) Porzingis will bolt first chance he gets
b) No star player will ever want to play there

You don't not play Melo, that is literally the absolute worst thing you could do in this situation. At this point you either buy him out, which Dolan obviously does not want to do, or just let him play out his 2 years and let the door hit him on the way out.

mcmagic posted:

This is not how basketball works

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

mcmagic posted:

If a player hates the team they will leave money on the table see LeBron/Cavs part 1 or the likely end of the Paul George saga if they don't trade him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spacebump posted:

If a player hates the team they will leave money on the table see LeBron/Cavs part 1 or the likely end of the Paul George saga if they don't trade him.

Kd just last year

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

mcmagic posted:

It's the only POSITIVE thing he did for the Knicks. Everything else he did was a complete disaster.

I'm not siding with Dolan, it's just best for the team if he's not there and waives his NTC.

if you think thats the best thing they should buy him out. im not sure why its melos job to save dolan money?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

if you think thats the best thing they should buy him out. im not sure why its melos job to save dolan money?

B-b-b-b-b-but my precious Billionaire's money!!!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

Trust me. I can give two shits about Dolan's money. I would just like to see the team get some sort of value back for him...

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

mcmagic posted:

? Then pay him. It's not his fault that he got offered a dream contract. This is not Melo's doing and "what's best for the team" has gently caress all to do with it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You aren't getting anything for melo in a trade but bad contracts and maybe a late first. Maybe.

They'd be better off buying him out imho.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

non-phil news

it's official

https://twitter.com/Gianina_ESPN/status/880037099172442113

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Trust me. I can give two shits about Dolan's money. I would just like to see the team get some sort of value back for him...

theyve spent what feels like 3 years but is probably less trashing him AND he has a huge contract. who is giving up a lot for that lol. if anything they might have to pay to salary dump him. the only thing waiving the NTC does is save a dipshit a load of money who no one anywhere, and least of all melo, should feel some kind of special loyalty to

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

You aren't getting anything for melo in a trade but bad contracts and maybe a late first. Maybe.

They'd be better off buying him out imho.

Bad contracts and a late first keeps them bad enough to get another lotto pick. With a lotto pick and late first they might be able to move up a spot or two. Or draft a good/decent player in the late first. That's the preferable option but I don't think Melo will ever waive his nt clause.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I have some bad news pal.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Are we sure Melo on a bad team is really helping the Knicks win more games?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

I have some bad news pal.

I know. I know.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I'm sure Raps fans aren't excited about the Ujiri rumors, but on the other hand, it would mean that Casey no longer has an unlimited leash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Just to match salaries with Melo you are likely gonna have to take on a more garbage salary or give up assets for anyone to take it amd absorb him into their cap.

• Locked thread