Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Spent this morning before work adding all the drat trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That looks amazing dude.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That one looks great as-is. All the laser-cutting made it looks like an old dingy building you see downtown.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Painted it tan, then added some brown weathering powder. It's looking ok but doesn't seem as earthy as the prototype.

(accidental thumb for scale)

I'm a bit colour blind and terrible at painting so some colour tips are welcome.
Also, on the subject of painting, I'm terrible at it. Is there any trick for painting the inside edges of these windows? Spraypaints never get in there, and brush painting them takes a very long time. It's always a challenge because the front is smooth and light, but the cut edges are black and a bit rougher. Would an airbrush help at all? I also tend to use thick cheap craft paint to desperately try to cover the black edges in a couple coats.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 24, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

man, lighting and context is important. Fixed some temporary windows in (I need to re-cut them, this material doesn't like to hold fine details).

But look at how much better the building looks and how much closer to prototype it is in actual sunlight.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looks amazing! As for painting the insides, an airbrush definitely helps. I'm surprised you are this good without one.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Don't know if you're planning on interiors, but you can do ultra cheap ones by faking it. Just make and print up some four sided images of an "office" or whatever, that you can fold into a cube, and then glue that behind each window. Mix and match images of "office floor", "office ceiling", etc etc, and you can make a fair number of mix and match office images. Sort of like this quick mockup I did. That was just five minutes of work on Google Image search and some cutting and pasting in PS. Just little bit more work than that can turn out something really decent. Dark ones can be left as is, lighted offices basically just need an LED hovering over them to shin through the paper and illuminate the whole thing. It's generally convincing enough to provide detail without having to scratch actual full interiors.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gonna be disappointed if there aren't ones of someone in the shower, or taking a leak, or peering back through a telescope/binoculars totally bought for astronomy and not perving on neighbours

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Someone mentioned a goon hovel. A shut-in hoarder apartment would be a much better Easter egg than the traditional "spot the couple loving".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

Get a roughly 1/100 scale tank and have the Gundam drop an atomic elbow on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That is a thing of beauty :allears:.

I kinda like to think the poor crew's still stuck inside, the Zeon pilots are just being assholes. Well, they generally are, but you get what I mean.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

One year and three days ago I decided to order and build the Soleil Royal.

Today I finally laid down the last strake of the second planking.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Greyhawk posted:

One year and three days ago I decided to order and build the Soleil Royal.

Today I finally laid down the last strake of the second planking.

Lookin' good man. Some day I'll make more boat stuff.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

I'm a bit colour blind and terrible at painting so some colour tips are welcome.
Also, on the subject of painting, I'm terrible at it. Is there any trick for painting the inside edges of these windows? Spraypaints never get in there, and brush painting them takes a very long time. It's always a challenge because the front is smooth and light, but the cut edges are black and a bit rougher. Would an airbrush help at all? I also tend to use thick cheap craft paint to desperately try to cover the black edges in a couple coats.

I would've tried a wash and then finished with the weathering powders.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
While I wait for some 1/72 PE to arrive, I knocked up this little fella. What a nightmare it was but it looks cool finished. I have two sets of samurai armour and a tie fighter to go.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Those Metal Earth kits are always really cool until you get to round parts. Then they get nightmarish.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Greyhawk posted:

Those Metal Earth kits are always really cool until you get to round parts. Then they get nightmarish.

A cheap set of drill bits and masking tape help a lot with that. If you have the right diameter bit to bend the piece around, great. If not, use a smaller bit and wrap it with masking tape to get the correct diameter.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

WIP of an Eduard 1/48 Albatros DVa. First time using an airbrush and working with 1/48.

I used Tamiya Smoke to shade the ribs on the rudder. I tried to do the same with the underside of the top wing before applying the rib tape decals. The shading on the wing looks a bit darker in that last photo than it does in person. I'm content with the way it turned out but I'd appreciate any feedback. Gonna work on shading the rest of the lozenge fabric next, followed by touching up the control surfaces.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You know what we haven't done in ages? A god-damned crapkit group build. So throw out suggestions people, kits in the approx :20bux: shipped range. Odd subjects, bad manufacturers, terrible kits of all varieties. The dumber the better.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yesssss

Although I have far too many kits in the pipeline... But gently caress it. I'm in. How about a Zvezda T-34? It's sub-early Tamiya in quality, still in production somehow, and a quick look at eBay shows that they can be had cheap. Plus you end up with a nice big tank on your shelf that's an easy build, if you don't care about historical accuracy.

Edit: or one of their 1:100 kits maybe? I don't think any of them cost more than $10 and they'll be quick and easy to put together.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 28, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm in, I have some vacation coming up and need to put in an order for paint. Might as well include a crapkit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Zvedzda 1/100 kits do fulfil the dirt cheap and easily available requirements, but they're usually pretty good for the scale TBH.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tentacle Party posted:

While I wait for some 1/72 PE to arrive, I knocked up this little fella. What a nightmare it was but it looks cool finished. I have two sets of samurai armour and a tie fighter to go.

Yeah I got a couple of the metal earth kits to build. I got the star tours vehicle and captain Rex also from star tours.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

You know what we haven't done in ages? A god-damned crapkit group build. So throw out suggestions people, kits in the approx :20bux: shipped range. Odd subjects, bad manufacturers, terrible kits of all varieties. The dumber the better.

Maybe it's time for a crapplane? I'd suggest Airfix Ryan Gosling, 50's era model recently reboxed. Other option would be newer Oscar EW-5894 Fallus Tactical Fighter Bomber, also cheap as hell but new mold so it's not that frustrating to build.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
We had a crapplane, the Vampire. Also frustrating to build is in the spirit of the contest.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The best crapplane - https://smile.amazon.com/Wingnut-Wi...ngs+models+kits

Everyone go order this immediately. I'll watch. :v:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ensign Expendable posted:

We had a crapplane, the Vampire. Also frustrating to build is in the spirit of the contest.

The guy whose vampire box contained a zero kit is one of my favorite posts in this thread's history.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

The Locator posted:

The best crapplane - https://smile.amazon.com/Wingnut-Wi...ngs+models+kits

Everyone go order this immediately. I'll watch. :v:

That plane has seen some things

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've been thinking about crapkit lately as well.

Good cheap kit (admittedly not a crapkit) U-boat Mk.VII

I know you hear people say the VII was tiny, but even in 1/350 - poo poo is small

e: maybe 1/1200 ships?

On the basis of this image, this Missouri is pretty crap

Yamato

e2:

TRUCK for $7

Cheapest tank killer

What is this, a warplane for ants?

Probably too hard to find but awful on several scales

I think this must be 1/144 since if it was 1/72 it would be pretty big

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 28, 2017

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've been thinking about crapkit lately as well.

Good cheap kit (admittedly not a crapkit) U-boat Mk.VII

I know you hear people say the VII was tiny, but even in 1/350 - poo poo is small

e: maybe 1/1200 ships?

On the basis of this image, this Missouri is pretty crap

Yamato

e2:

TRUCK for $7

Cheapest tank killer

What is this, a warplane for ants?

Probably too hard to find but awful on several scales

I think this must be 1/144 since if it was 1/72 it would be pretty big

I'd throw in on that U-Boot for a "crap"build.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The_Rob posted:

Yeah I got a couple of the metal earth kits to build. I got the star tours vehicle and captain Rex also from star tours.
They do the Starspeeder 1000? I must have this!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The guy whose vampire box contained a zero kit is one of my favorite posts in this thread's history.

That was me! Yay.

But yeah, I'd be up for the U-boat. We haven't done a ship yet and I haven't done a sub kit for, um, about 40 years.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Unkempt posted:

That was me! Yay.

But yeah, I'd be up for the U-boat. We haven't done a ship yet and I haven't done a sub kit for, um, about 40 years.

My shop doesn't have that specific kit, but maybe we can have a general u-boat boat-off?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm sure we can find it online somewhere if necessary.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Arquinsiel posted:

They do the Starspeeder 1000? I must have this!

Yeah they have them at Disneyland I haven't seen them anywhere else though. The moment I saw it I knew I had to buy it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well dang. I guess I just have to hope they still have them when I get back there then.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Gervasius posted:

Maybe it's time for a crapplane? I'd suggest Airfix Ryan Gosling, 50's era model recently reboxed. Other option would be newer Oscar EW-5894 Fallus Tactical Fighter Bomber, also cheap as hell but new mold so it's not that frustrating to build.

Is there a way to search scalmates for dates on molds? I'd like to search something like WW2 aircraft tooled after 2000 and go from there.

edit: not for the crapbuild, just for a build. A crapbuild would be the Revell(?) B-25 Mitchell. I tried it and gave up and somebody else in this thread did too. It's not just that it is crap, it is that there are a ton of parts and they are all crap.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 29, 2017

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I think I did that Submarine at some point.

May I suggest a real crap plane, maybe a Merlin Models Fokker C.1.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'll pimp the kit I did last year, the HMS Kelly. It's a bit like the U-boat kit except I think it has about 100 tiny parts to ignore. The hull goes together well but the superstructure leaves a bit to be desired. Should be cheap and common, I think.

Made a good double for the ARA General Belgrano too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
For crap boat kits, you can't really go wrong with some of Revell's rereleases of old molds:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/139832-revell-05896-french-helicopter-carrier-jeanne-d-arc-r97

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/133699-revell-05108-u-s-s-intrepid-cv-11

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/169033-revell-05816-shinano

Two of those are late 60s, the third is early 70s originally, and it really shows. All three kits should still be relatively easy to find.

I built the CV-11 a few years ago and it was pretty terrible, there were a few warped or otherwise deformed parts.