Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Willninho posted:

Are we sure Melo on a bad team is really helping the Knicks win more games?

Probably not but I just want to see the team built and run through KP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Willninho posted:

Are we sure Melo on a bad team is really helping the Knicks win more games?

Yes Melo is still a good enough player to have a crazy game and win a game they would be better to lose.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

He's also selfish and lazy enough to ruin any chance of winning a game late in the 4th by hero balling terrible long contested jumpers instead of running the play that's called.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

MourningView posted:

why do you care about James Dolan saving money?

the Knicks have a contract with Carmelo
why should they substantially perform their end, giving him money, and he doesn't fulfill his end, playing basketball for the Knicks

when the Knicks try to trade Carmelo it's "well there's a contract, if you don't like Carmelo using his no-trade clause don't agree to the deal" but if the Knicks expect Carmelo to see out that same contract apparently it's oppression and he should just be gifted the remainder of his contract to go away

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Bad contracts and a late first keeps them bad enough to get another lotto pick. With a lotto pick and late first they might be able to move up a spot or two. Or draft a good/decent player in the late first. That's the preferable option but I don't think Melo will ever waive his nt clause.

Maybe . Late firsts didn't seem too valuable this year .

I'd rather just not take contracts back and buy him out

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Yes Melo is still a good enough player to have a crazy game and win a game they would be better to lose.

Same can be said for Ndour, right Evan? Sorry. low blow

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

mcmagic posted:

Good thing the Knicks didn't just draft a low ceiling player with their lottery pick just because he fit into the triangle.... lol

You might rather have Dennis Smith Jr. but I don't know that I'd call Frank low-ceiling

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I still can't believe they let Phil make the draft pick...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ragle posted:

why should they substantially perform their end, giving him money, and he doesn't fulfill his end, playing basketball for the Knicks

when the Knicks try to trade Carmelo it's "well there's a contract, if you don't like Carmelo using his no-trade clause don't agree to the deal" but if the Knicks expect Carmelo to see out that same contract apparently it's oppression and he should just be gifted the remainder of his contract to go away

Eh. He is totally willing to stay in NY the rest of his contract. He has literally stated as much. Its the organization that wants him gone.

If the Org wants him gone then its on them to make a deal with Melo that he deems is sufficient to tear up the contract and leave the team he wants to stay with.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Hopefully with Phil riding off into the Montana sunset we never have to hear about the Triangle ever again.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

mcmagic posted:

I still can't believe they let Phil make the draft pick...

Luckily the draft pick was probably fine. Might have some Dennis Smith-sized pangs in a few years but Frank's no slouch

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ragle posted:

Carmelo has expressed time and time again that his preferred outcome is to stay in New York with his family and play basketball for the Knicks.

The Buyout talks are because he wants to stay in New York and they don't want him to Melo is not some money grabbing, hand rubbing dude who is demanding to be bought out. He's a dude with a NTC saying "Hey if you want me gone so much then buy me out".

The situation you are describing literally doesn't exist.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 28, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Dolan should hire Lavar Ball to replace Phil. It'd at least be more entertaining.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Luckily the draft pick was probably fine. Might have some Dennis Smith-sized pangs in a few years but Frank's no slouch

Conversely DSJ is lucky as hell he went to Dallas instead of NY

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

B-b-b-b-b-but my precious Billionaire's money!!!!

A buyout reduces the cap hit, which they can use on overpaying other players.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Frankie Nicotine will be a star!!!!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lockback posted:

A buyout reduces the cap hit, which they can use on overpaying other players.

No it doesn't. Actually I might be reading the CBA wrong.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Frankie Nicotine will be a star!!!!!

Three cheers for French Frank!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

No it doesn't.

Yeah, if buyouts reduced cap hits you would see waaaay more people being bought out.

e: YOU SNIPED ME

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

RCarr posted:

He's also selfish and lazy enough to ruin any chance of winning a game late in the 4th by hero balling terrible long contested jumpers instead of running the play that's called.

Who knew Phil Jackson posted hear

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

No it doesn't.

Yes it does.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

You still owe them what you still pay them, but if you agree on reducing the salary by 10 million or whatever, you get that back. Both sides have to agree. It's an exception to the "renegotiate lower" rule. Amare Stoudamire and Larry Sanders agreed to buyouts the teams offered because of the cap/tax considerations.

Article here with specific exmaples:
https://moorebasketball.com/2016/01/19/how-it-works-the-waiver-procedure-and-contract-buyouts/

quote:

The Knicks and Stoudemire agreed to a buyout, allowing the Knicks to waive Stoudemire and his remaining salary, negotiating the compensation protection down by $2,500,000, thereby owing him only $20,910, 988.[9] As a result, the Knicks cut their luxury tax bill almost in half, paying $8,219,912.50 in tax instead of $14,666,903.75.[10] Stoudemire then signed with the Dallas Mavericks, a team that had one of the best starts of the 2014-15 season.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, if buyouts reduced cap hits you would see waaaay more people being bought out.

You don't see it because it involves and NBA player agreeing to make less money than they are owed. It's pretty rare for people to take paycuts in their jobs voluntarily.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's weird, because Melo's last year is an option year. which has some weird 50% rule or some nonsense.

So they might end up getting some cap relief if they buy him out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah but at most you will get melo to leave maybe 10% on the table . Imho.

I guess it's something .

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Yeah but at most you will get melo to leave maybe 10% on the table . Imho.

I guess it's something .

Right, but paying him 90% and having him gone is better than paying him 100% if your just going to bench him.

I think the Knicks are pretty dumb for getting themselves into this situation at all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lockback posted:

Right, but paying him 90% and having him gone is better than paying him 100% if your just going to bench him.

I think the Knicks are pretty dumb for getting themselves into this situation at all.

but but I hate Melo and would rather be petty and vindictive, and likely piss off the players union.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Paul Zuvella posted:

Carmelo has expressed time and time again that his preferred outcome is to stay in New York with his family and play basketball for the Knicks.

The Buyout talks are because he wants to stay in New York and they don't want him to Melo is not some money grabbing, hand rubbing dude who is demanding to be bought out. He's a dude with a NTC saying "Hey if you want me gone so much then buy me out".

The situation you are describing literally doesn't exist.

melos been secretly in a holdout for well over 5 years, it was a risky move to give a new contract to a man who only exists in the cyberworld but i think it pays off

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Very rude of Carmelo to hold a gun to James Dolan's head and force him to sign a contract with a NTC in it, that should not be allowed under the CBA imo

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/MereGorman/status/880071800901824512

Goddamn Ojeleye has some big calves, no Covington sticks here

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

Very rude of Carmelo to hold a gun to James Dolan's head and force him to sign a contract with a NTC in it, that should not be allowed under the CBA imo

If you are deadset on running the 90s version of the Triangle, Carmelo seems like a really good choice for a wing player. The fact that they had him and a big who can do so many things and still couldn't get it to work is pretty funny, actually.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Come on man. That team was designed to fail. You can say what you want about Phil's media stuff, but he came to tank and he did a great job of tanking while still putting enough names on the court to keep the money coming. Like lockback? Said yesterday, the warriors play a sort of hybrid triangle style, there's no reason to arbitrarily limit the triangle unless you're trying to lose, unless you're purposefully giving away points. Phil did a good job of losing but not good enough. Hayleigh Baldwin should be the Knicks next GM

Kibner posted:

Lost in the hubbub about PJaxxxxxxxxxxxxxx but, from what I was reading throughout the season is that Justin is a quality bench 3&D player. He is 28, though. His early bird salary (I have no idea what this means) with the Knicks is 7.8M and, from what I understand, they would like to keep him.

Justin Holiday is a below starter caliber offensive player and a solid defensive player, the main impetus to signing him is uniting, he, Jrue, and their younger brother who plays for UCLA, and having the NBA's first set of three brothers on one team

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 28, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MourningView posted:

In Dolan's defense, It wouldn't be surprising if Phil was tripping on peyote when Melo and his agent were negotiating with him, and they managed to sneak the NTC while Phil was dreaming of Montana

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MourningView posted:

Yes, the knicks are idiots. We know this. But starting from today and going forward, they have to at least try to get something for him...

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Cool Buff Man posted:

https://twitter.com/MereGorman/status/880071800901824512

Goddamn Ojeleye has some big calves, no Covington sticks here

Calf talk: I always fear for Otto Porter's legs. He's running around on toothpicks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You aren't going to get anything for a guy with a ntc and 50 million dollars on the books who wants to start and has a 30% usage and is 33 and plays no defense and is an ISO hog

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If only the knicks could trade melo to the knicks .

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mcmagic posted:

Yes, the knicks are idiots. We know this. But starting from today and going forward, they have to at least try to get something for him...

Well they're not gonna so either let him play out his contract or buy him out. He's not being unreasonable by holding them to a contract they willingly signed

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mcmagic posted:

That's not how the NBA works.

When you want to shed an albatross contract like melo's you either have to take another team's garbage back(which is worse, as you, will likely take back a worse contract than Melo's) or you have to give up an asset in order for a team with cap space to absorb him into their cap space, where they will likely then buy him out.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jack's Flow posted:

Calf talk: I always fear for Otto Porter's legs. He's running around on toothpicks.

Yeah that's true, he also belongs in the Tyson Chandler leg club for men

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dexo posted:

That's not how the NBA works.

When you want to shed an albatross contract like melo's you either have to take another team's garbage back(which is worse, as you, will likely take back a worse contract than Melo's) or you have to give up an asset in order for a team with cap space to absorb him into their cap space, where they will likely then buy him out.

If you buy him out, he's on the cap anyway. If you have to take back a bad contract to get a few picks along with it, that seems reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I would love to know Kobe's thoughts on the Melo/Phil/NYK saga.

• Locked thread