Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean look what the lakers had to do to get rid of mosgov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I can't believe in 2017 ESPN Insider is still a thing

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

https://twitter.com/MereGorman/status/880071800901824512

Goddamn Ojeleye has some big calves, no Covington sticks here

I think Ojeleye has a chance to be a good combo forward, he just has to get better at everything. He demolished AAC teams, although that's not saying much. His jumper is really nice, he does everything on defense you'd hope he could do. He could get his own shot. If he was a good passer and 2 years younger then he probably would have been picked 8 or so picks higher. But it's good that he improved in everything while sitting out for the transfer, it's a good sign.

Now the Celtics have 3 combo 3 combo 3/4s. Although Taytum looks a lot more like a 3 than anything else. Have you guys noticed that Duke has inflated the stock of its premiere players over the last 4 straight years by playing them at 4 despite being 3's or even 2 sized?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 28, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

mcmagic posted:

If you buy him out, he's on the cap anyway. If you have to take back a bad contract to get a few picks along with it, that seems reasonable.

Unfortunately your now ex-GM did his best to tank any remaining value Carmelo had by trashing him nonstop to the media (even if what he said was true) and hinting that he would be bought out if he had his way

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think Ojeleye has a chance to be a good combo forward, he just has to get better at everything. He demolished AAC teams, although that's not saying much. His jumper is really nice, he does everything on defense you'd hope he could do. He could get his own shot, if he was a good passer and 2 years younger then he probably would have been picked 8 or so picks higher. But it's good that he's improved in everything over his team not playing, it's a good sign.

Now the Celtics have 2 combo 3 combo 3/4s. Have you guys noticed that Duke has inflated the stock of its premiere players over the last 4 straight years by playing them at 4 despite being 3's or even 2 sized?

I've been looking at footage of his shot and it really is nice looking

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

mcmagic posted:

If you buy him out, he's on the cap anyway. If you have to take back a bad contract to get a few picks along with it, that seems reasonable.

The Knicks won't be getting any picks. they will be only getting the bad contracts.

No team is going to give up any picks in that trade.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Almost every year we talk about how such and such contract is so bad it is impossible anyone would ever trade for it.
Almost every year someone trades for that contract.
The cycle continues.

That Noah contract tho, for real, no one will ever trade for that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RCarr posted:

Almost every year we talk about how such and such contract is so bad it is impossible anyone would ever trade for it.
The cycle continues.

No contract is untradeable, but usually the team trading said contract has to give something with potential up to get rid of it.

You just hope that what you give up is a player that you wanted to get rid of anyway(see, Snitchy McSnitch, and Mosgov to the Nets.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cool Buff Man posted:

Unfortunately your now ex-GM did his best to tank any remaining value Carmelo had by trashing him nonstop to the media (even if what he said was true) and hinting that he would be bought out if he had his way

I doubt any one of the other teams takes anything Phil said seriously after his performance here.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

RCarr posted:

The cycle continues.

Everything just happens now, stuff used to be talked about and then not happen, but nobody has the attention span for that anymore, everything that's talked about just happens

Cool Buff Man posted:

I've been looking at footage of his shot and it really is nice looking

If he wasn't one handed and could dribble a bit better, he'd have been a higher pick. But I think he's in the mold of Taurean Prince and other of age college wings who can be decent contributors in their second year

https://sports.yahoo.com/masai-ujiri-fix-knicks-mess-competent-moves-arent-style-144739950.html

THE VERTICAL'S CHRIS MANNIX reporting that the Knicks want to hire Masai Ujiri

The NEW YORK KNICKS should sign Isaiah Thomas and Joe Dumars to make draft decisions as part of a GM triumvirate with
code:
Dokmo
Then you can staff the front office with NBANV posters, Zogo, Rick, Brolic, I'll coach the team and bring back the respectability by running the lowest deepest picks that anybody has ever loving seen and forcing the players to do snuff

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 28, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

mcmagic posted:

I doubt any one of the other teams takes anything Phil said seriously after his performance here.

You should really be steeling yourself for 2 more years of Melo instead of trying to talk yourself into getting value for him. You deserve to be happy instead of anxious, my man

Dejan Bimble posted:

Everything just happens now, stuff used to be talked about and then not happen, but nobody has the attention span for that anymore, everything that's talked about just happens

If he wasn't one handed and could dribble a bit better, he'd have been a higher pick. But I think he's in the mold of Taurean Prince and other of age college wings who can be decent contributors in their second year

Thank you for more info about his game, he seems like a good pick at 37. I trust Brad to figure out his strengths and put him to use quickly

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cool Buff Man posted:

You should really be steeling yourself for 2 more years of Melo instead of trying to talk yourself into getting value for him. You deserve to be happy instead of anxious, my man

If they can't trade him, they should buy him out. It makes no sense for him to be on the team.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dexo posted:

Just to match salaries with Melo you are likely gonna have to take on a more garbage salary or give up assets for anyone to take it amd absorb him into their cap.

The Knicks could get better picks by buying out Melo and using the new cap space after he signs somewhere to absorb a bad contract or be a third wheel in a trade. As opposed to just trying to trade Melo without his NTC.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

If they can't trade him, they should buy him out. It makes no sense for him to be on the team.

And we have come full circle.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't even see why the Knicks need Melo gone to begin with. He doesn't fit into their plans but it's not such a big deal that it'd make sense to pay him $50,000,000 to go away. I thought Phil's whole media bullying thing was toward the purpose of getting him to waive his NTC so they can get something back for him. If he'll waive the NTC somewhere that wants him then go ahead and trade him, otherwise who cares

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

mcmagic posted:

:)

Fast Luck posted:

I don't even see why the Knicks need Melo gone to begin with. He doesn't fit into their plans but it's not such a big deal that it'd make sense to pay him $50,000,000 to go away. I thought Phil's whole media bullying thing was toward the purpose of getting him to waive his NTC so they can get something back for him. If he'll waive the NTC somewhere that wants him then go ahead and trade him, otherwise who cares

He's almost certainly finishing out his contract in NYC

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Melo for Mozgov would keep him in NY, clear up some short-term room + money savings for the Knicks, and be completely hilarious

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
^^lol

Kibner posted:

The Knicks could get better picks by buying out Melo and using the new cap space after he signs somewhere to absorb a bad contract or be a third wheel in a trade. As opposed to just trying to trade Melo without his NTC.

I don't think they'd get much back in a buyout. I mean, it would be something if you really would prefer the guy not be around, but it's not enough to take on a Mozgov-type deal or anything.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Is a buyout for the remainder of the contract or just that particular year it occurs?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

Because they have a 21 year old guy who should be one of the best players in the NBA in a few years if they don't gently caress him up and who's development Melo being there is hampering. Also, they aren't going to be a good team for the next few years anyway.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

pubic works project posted:

Is a buyout for the remainder of the contract or just that particular year it occurs?

The whole contract, but you can renegotiate it if both parties are interested

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rest of the contract. Although there is some rule when it comes to the player having a player option.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Cool Buff Man posted:

The whole contract, but you can renegotiate it if both parties are interested

Is the cap hit spread out between the remainder of years? Like if Melo took 70% of his contract, is it spread out 35% for each year?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

^^lol

I don't think they'd get much back in a buyout. I mean, it would be something if you really would prefer the guy not be around, but it's not enough to take on a Mozgov-type deal or anything.

Yeah, and it's still better than what they would get back by trading him somewhere he would waive his no-trade clause to.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Lockback posted:

Right, but paying him 90% and having him gone is better than paying him 100% if your just going to bench him.

the extra 10% to keep Melo as a scorer off the bench is cheaper than trying to get an equivalent scorer elsewhere.

Dexo posted:

but but I hate Melo and would rather be petty and vindictive, and likely piss off the players union.

Carmelo was worse than Joakim Noah last year by advanced stats. If a team is paying someone why can't they decide the player is most effective coming off the bench?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-bulls-fred-hoiberg-spt-0628-20170627-story,amp.html

kcjohnson posted:

Hoiberg is aware of the perception from some circles that he has underwhelmed in his first two seasons. He doesn't waste time or energy focusing on critics but the fact he had analytics at the ready when asked about his ability to develop players seemed telling.

"We were playing as well as anybody in the Eastern Conference at the end of last season," Hoiberg said in an interview after the news conference. "Obviously, (rebuilding) is a completely different challenge. But I haven't lost any confidence in my ability to lead and do this job. I look at the way we ended last year and kept things together and played our best basketball at the most important time of the season.

"Cristiano Felicio couldn't crack our summer league rotation two years ago. We invited him back to camp after he finished the summer league well. And I think we helped shape him into a very good NBA player. He had the third best net rating after the (Thunder) trade was made. You look at Jerian Grant, who shot 22 percent as a rookie in New York, and he shot almost 38 percent (on 3-pointers) last year while starting almost a third of our games. Our young players have gotten better. They have developed.

Oh Fred :allears:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/880087788242083841

WOW

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

:siren:
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/880087788242083841

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

OH MY GOD

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lmao holy poo poo

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
WOJBOMB

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Can't say I expected that

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

is the reasoning that harden needed some help

that's help

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/880088178161586176

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/880088294700331008

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Does this improve or harm Blake's chances of re-signing with the Clippers? Normally I'd say it's obvious that he's gone but there were rumblings about CP3 being the reason he didn't want to play there anymore

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
the gently caress?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

THATS IT?

Daryl Morey is my god drat hero

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Holy poo poo.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Silly season

He's 32 and the wheels are starting to shake though so Houston is making a huge push to win. Still dunno if I like the fit but I'm sure 2 basketball geniuses will work it out

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
No

Good

Clippers

Get poo poo on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm excited for James Harden screening for Chris Paul and a thousand free throws this loving owns.

• Locked thread