Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Nail Rat posted:

27k for this vintage train car with a kitchen, servants' quarters, dining room, observation lounge, and 5 bedrooms. And it won't sink. Granted it probably needs twice that in work before it would be both functional and comfortable. Really if I was stupid rich I might be tempted.

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/detail.asp?id=2143&n=Seaboard-Coast-Line-Business-Car-quotJacksonvillequot

Just imagine the kind of sounds that come out of this rust-on-rust braking system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

That isn't even the craziest stuff she's written in that book apparently
I'm quoting from the Buzzfeed article I saw https://www.buzzfeed.com/ginarushton/people-are-screaming-over-this-womans-financial-advice?utm_term=.eryBDZ4LM#.lf2xXMBpj

She's basically finance writing the Secret

quote:

The next tip Milasas offers is that you should "carry around the amount of cash you think a rich person would carry".

"I like to have at least $1,000 on me at all times," she said. "I like to have a bottle of water with me at all times. I like to have a cold bottle of wine in the fridge at home."

Milasas acknowledges that carrying a wad of cash could be a security risk, describing a situation in which her friend was mugged while carrying US$1,800, but said that while it wasn't "nice", her friend was "much more willing to be aware of her money" after the robbery.

Instead of paying bills

quote:

Milasas suggests that to have money you must spend money on "things of intrinsic value" such as gold, silver, platinum, diamonds and/or pearls.

"I have purchased lots of gold and silver with my 10% account and it’s fun for me," she writes.
"Things like gold, silver or platinum can be bought in ounces, kilos or coins."

Here, Milasis throws a bone to readers who might be reading an article about getting out of debt because they're in debt and suggests they start small: "You could start with buying a silver teaspoon to stir your coffee with, and add from there."
The excerpt finishes with a thought-provoking question: "What else could you add to your life to create a sense of aesthetics, abundance, luxury and wealth that expands every facet of your life and living?"

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Or you could find meaning in life that isn't dependent on materialism and consumerism.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

cowofwar posted:

Or you could find meaning in life that isn't dependent on materialism and consumerism.
What am I, poor?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Yeah, that's not the way to trick the universe into giving you money

quote:

"So if you were brought up middle class, you feel comfortable in middle class," she said.

"If you were brought up with poverty, you feel comfortable with that.

Other goon mentioned the Secret (before I did, sorry about that!), it's totally that

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hargrimm posted:

Just imagine the kind of sounds that come out of this rust-on-rust braking system

No problem, when you realize how much fun it is to ride the rails in your own car, you'll never want to stop!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

this conversation keeps reminding of the episode of Archer

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A bunch of my coworkers (who have been overweight for 10+ years) were discussing how they have been getting Vitamin B12 shots once a week for the past two years to lose weight.

I haven't weighed them, but there does not appear to be any difference.

The shots are "only" $40. Plus, you get 50% off if you bring in 10 or more people at once!

They said that they go once a week, but I don't know how consistent that is. If they actually have been going every week for the past two years, then that is over $4,100 in B12 shots and they have either maintained or slightly increased their weight.

I don't know why they are still going after two years and no results. I think it might be the horrible self-reinforcing BWM of my office. They all go as a group, recruit other coworkers for discounts, and tell each other they look skinny and amazing after each shot.

They're paying so they can say they've "been trying to lose weight, but it's just not working!"

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

CheesyDog posted:

They're paying so they can say they've "been trying to lose weight, but it's just not working!"

let's just cut to the chase: being fat is BWM

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Zo posted:

let's just cut to the chase: being fat is BWM
Yes. Next topic.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nothing tastes as good as wealthy feels. :v:

But seriously, fitness is a luxury, just not a useless one.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Yeah, so is eating healthy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Doc Hawkins posted:

$4,100 on B12 shots is more than 10% of the gross salary of some of these people.

They could save it and pay for surgery. Or just buy a protein shake if they want to feel like they are doing something.

Weekly B12 shots seems like the worst of all worlds.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

They could always eat less, which would be both GWL and GWM from lower grocery bills.

I know there is a multi-billion dollar industry convincing people that you must spend money in order to lose weight, but it's sad to see how much people buy into it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Skills: good at eating
Problem: fat
Requested solution: something that can solve my problem that leverages my skills.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Paying me to stab you with a cattle prod every time it looks like you are slowing down on the treadmill?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Doc Hawkins posted:

nobody brought up being fit, you know. there's a gigantic valley of "not fat" in between "fat" and "fit", which any fat person can get to by eating exactly what they currently eat except less of it, meaning no amount of mental gymnastics could turn that into a "luxury" in terms of money.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

There's not even any conclusive evidence B12 will do anything for weight loss. It's purely another celebrity weight loss fad.

If you're not vegan and eat a typical western diet with regular meat and animal products, it's unlikely that you are B12 deficient, and extra B12 isn't going to do anything for you. Getting proper sleep would help way more than any vitamin shot.

Eat an egg, get adequate sleep, feel better. Poof! Free energy boost without the $40 expense. Eat slightly less over time, lose weight at a maintainable rate. Another free energy boost!

GWM: less money on excess calories
BWM: buying smaller clothes

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One of my coworker's roommate spent $3000 on "weight loss laser therapy" from a chiropractor. In order for the lasers to "maximize the loss", she also had to replace two meals a day with one of those MLM shakes.

She was already in good shape from running, she just wanted to drop 10 pounds for a wedding.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

'Weight loss laser therapy' makes me think of someone just carving chunks out of your side with a high-powered laser. Which would at least be effective.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

That's one hell of a wedding expense.

She could have dropped that same water weight just by drinking lots of water and avoiding sodium-rich food while maintaining a small calorie deficit.

The weight loss industry is crazy GWM.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Washing down my B12 vitamins with Russel Wilson's magic nanobubble water while getting laser weight loss therapy

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Enfys posted:

That's one hell of a wedding expense.

She could have dropped that same water weight just by drinking lots of water and avoiding sodium-rich food while maintaining a small calorie deficit.

The weight loss industry is crazy GWM.

Yep, she was already fit and as far as we could tell she was trying be a smaller size than the bride out of spite (she was a bridesmaid). She did lose the weight thanks to the shakes replacing meals.

Speaking of bad with money and weddings, I've done a couple of sub gigs in wedding bands and it's pretty much charging 3-4x your normal price to play the world's easiest cover sets.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

Yep, she was already fit and as far as we could tell she was trying be a smaller size than the bride out of spite (she was a bridesmaid). She did lose the weight thanks to the shakes replacing meals.

Speaking of bad with money and weddings, I've done a couple of sub gigs in wedding bands and it's pretty much charging 3-4x your normal price to play the world's easiest cover sets.
I've heard the increased price is due to the high rate of meltdown that occurs and paying for the risk associated with being within 20 miles of a litigious bride and suddenly it kind of makes sense.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

This gives me the feeling they're trying to repackage Dave Ramsey advice for a different audience and this is exactly when they got to the church tithing stuff.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Shirec posted:

quote:

"I like to have at least $1,000 on me at all times," she said. "I like to have a bottle of water with me at all times. I like to have a cold bottle of wine in the fridge at home."

This sounds like my mom. I'm now very worried that she is BWM.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Zo posted:

nobody brought up being fit, you know. there's a gigantic valley of "not fat" in between "fat" and "fit", which any fat person can get to by eating exactly what they currently eat except less of it, meaning no amount of mental gymnastics could turn that into a "luxury" in terms of money.

I brought it up. It seemed on-topic.

But since you'd rather just discuss being not fat: healthily reducing food intake enough to lose significant weight and keep it off is work. It's only worth almost everyone's energy. Even leaving out medical conditions, you need a degree of slack in your life to do it. (although of course, most people with the energy to post on discussion forums probably have the spoons to spare to get ripped)

"Luxury" isn't a pejorative for worthless things, class signifiers, or a perception of inflated prices, it just means something which isn't a necessity. Many luxuries are so cheap that we don't even notice their cost, and we wouldn't consider going without them...but there remain people in very lovely circumstances who are actually obliged to prioritize other things over their long-term metabolic health.

MMM (yes, I know) once remarked in a blog post that he really liked going to restaurants, because it's an insanely luxurious experience: people waiting on you hand and foot, bringing you as many courses as you ask of freshly-made dishes from around the world! He thought there was value in maintaining that perspective - in consciously de-normalizing the commonplace luxuries in our lives - and currently I agree. Right now I'm especially enjoying the luxury of hot water, having had to wait a few months for a heater to get replaced.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

This gives me the feeling they're trying to repackage Dave Ramsey advice for a different audience and this is exactly when they got to the church tithing stuff.

Oh, so literal self-worship. Excellent. Awesome.

My inner Sunday school teacher is crying.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Doc Hawkins posted:

I brought it up. It seemed on-topic.

But since you'd rather just discuss being not fat: healthily reducing food intake enough to lose significant weight and keep it off is work. It's only worth almost everyone's energy. Even leaving out medical conditions, you need a degree of slack in your life to do it. (although of course, most people with the energy to post on discussion forums probably have the spoons to spare to get ripped)

"Luxury" isn't a pejorative for worthless things, class signifiers, or a perception of inflated prices, it just means something which isn't a necessity. Many luxuries are so cheap that we don't even notice their cost, and we wouldn't consider going without them...but there remain people in very lovely circumstances who are actually obliged to prioritize other things over their long-term metabolic health.

MMM (yes, I know) once remarked in a blog post that he really liked going to restaurants, because it's an insanely luxurious experience: people waiting on you hand and foot, bringing you as many courses as you ask of freshly-made dishes from around the world! He thought there was value in maintaining that perspective - in consciously de-normalizing the commonplace luxuries in our lives - and currently I agree. Right now I'm especially enjoying the luxury of hot water, having had to wait a few months for a heater to get replaced.

If you call not being fat a luxury using the above, you could also call medicine a luxury by the exact same parameters.

It depends on what you mean by "need" I suppose. Ultimately you only need oxygen and a certain temperature level to stay alive for a short enough timeline.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

You don't have to do some crazy diet or starve yourself or live off cabbage or whatever to lose weight at a gradual pace. If you are significantly overweight, eating at a small caloric deficit is worth your energy, if for no other reason than it will give you far more energy and health in return, even with small losses. A 5-10% reduction in body weight is enough to cause big health benefits for an obese person, even if they are still overweight or obese. Weight loss really doesn't require money or a huge time investment.

Describing the long term consumption of too many calories as some kind of necessity rather than a luxury in itself is a bit backwards.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

It depends on what you mean by "need" I suppose.

Hmm. Yeah, Maslow didn't call it the Hierarchy of Luxuries for a reason: if you're totally set at level X and below, you can still suffer from lack of level X+1.

Enfys posted:

Describing the long term consumption of too many calories as some kind of necessity rather than a luxury in itself is a bit backwards.

Not needing to worry about getting enough food is a luxury, the conscious control of how much food you get is another one.

But sure, I could be backwards. I shared my rationale so people could have more information to write off my opinion. :v:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hoodwinker posted:

I've heard the increased price is due to the high rate of meltdown that occurs and paying for the risk associated with being within 20 miles of a litigious bride and suddenly it kind of makes sense.

I could see that, but that also describes your average bar or club owner.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So serious question here. How many people would be interested in doing a sort of BWM themed "Advice" book where we all take a specific chapter (investing, day trading, mortgages, etc) and write just the worst ideas we have about them and try to get it published by a reputable publisher under a pen name?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

I could see that, but that also describes your average bar or club owner.
I'm sure somewhere along the way it either started as a cashgrab and developed along with the realized need for charging for higher risk, or vice versa, and thus the two became lovingly intertwined. You may now kiss the invoice.

Solice Kirsk posted:

So serious question here. How many people would be interested in doing a sort of BWM themed "Advice" book where we all take a specific chapter (investing, day trading, mortgages, etc) and write just the worst ideas we have about them and try to get it published by a reputable publisher under a pen name?
You have to walk a fine line here between "dumb but believable" and "there's no way anybody is this stupid." Except this thread sort of rules out that second part.

Make the pen name "Zybourne Financial Services."

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Hoodwinker posted:

Make the pen name "Zybourne Financial Services."

Imagine four paychecks on the edge of a fiscal cliff...

Finance works the same way!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hoodwinker posted:

Zybourne Financial Services

I wish I hadn't just changed the thread title cause I love this too

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Enfys posted:

You don't have to do some crazy diet or starve yourself or live off cabbage or whatever to lose weight at a gradual pace. If you are significantly overweight, eating at a small caloric deficit is worth your energy, if for no other reason than it will give you far more energy and health in return, even with small losses. A 5-10% reduction in body weight is enough to cause big health benefits for an obese person, even if they are still overweight or obese. Weight loss really doesn't require money or a huge time investment.

The problem with all this moralizing is an obese person could have already done exactly what you say, 5-10% reduction in body weight, increased health benefits, but they'll still look flawed to your judging eyes so you'll still wring your hands about them not doing the very thing they are doing.

Research shows time and time again that Western poverty causes obesity and (and this is the one hand-wringers just reflexively reject, no matter how many studies reach the same conclusion, because it conflicts with puritanical values) weight gain is effectively permanent. Our brains aren't set up to accept that information - we grasp at survivor bias, where we venerate the one in a million who lost a lot of weight and kept it off permanently, or look at the one in ten thousand who lose a lot of weight for a little while and then assume that temporary change is permanent. But it's not. If you're born poor you're likely to grow up fat and stay fat forever. And then equally-fat-but-hidden-because-it's-a-text-based-medium goons will write paragraphs about how you're just as ignorant and immoral as the horse wedding people, and you have no excuse for having an unfuckable body because it's "so simple."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

By the same token let's all agree credit card debt is permanent because at the end of the day, it's very difficult for many people to control those impulses and entire industries are set up around exploiting them. I don't even need to look at studies to see it's probably an assertion that more or less rings true, based on the figures I've seen previously.

No one is blaming fat people for being fat. If you grow up poor you'll likely stay poor, if you grow up fat you'll likely be fat. Our society in general encourages people to be fat and it's hard to break habits. Saying that people should try to make steps to improve their longterm health isn't blaming them, any more than saying people should try to take hold of spending habits is blaming them for learning poor habits from their parents and society. If they can't make the changes - and many can't - it's not an indictment of only them. But it's certainly worth a try.

Edit to remove personal anecdote because this is the BWM thread.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 28, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
American culture is wholly incompatible with the idea that you could ever have a problem so bad it can't be fixed. Bootstraps narratives and abusive religious traditions combine into an intoxicatingly powerful marketing message that convinces you to buy whatever you think will make you a better person. Because you need to be better. If you aren't flawed then why am I criticizing you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Research shows time and time again that Western poverty causes obesity and (and this is the one hand-wringers just reflexively reject, no matter how many studies reach the same conclusion, because it conflicts with puritanical values) weight gain is effectively permanent.

This is not even remotely close to true. There are systemic reasons why significant weight loss is difficult for lots of people, but the laws of thermodynamics come into play for everyone.

It is ridiculously bad for your health and money to be fatalistic about your weight and to tell yourself that it is physically impossible to become healthy. Every doctor in the world would tell you that giving people that advice is actively harming them.