Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

There were no hints during Baratie Arc, Sanji was only introduced as an apprentice chef and nothing more. If you want to stretch it you could say Mr. Prince was the first hint during Crocodile arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sub Harrison posted:

There were no hints during Baratie Arc, Sanji was only introduced as an apprentice chef and nothing more. If you want to stretch it you could say Mr. Prince was the first hint during Crocodile arc.

The closest thing to a hint and it's not really a hint so much as something that gets called back to during Totto Land is Sanji saying he grew up in North Blue and read Norland the Liar. The other thing like that is when he says he read about Devil Fruits in a book as a kid.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Cat Machine posted:

What's the longest Oda's gone before paying off an early hint in the manga? The biggest one I can think of is the gap between the first hint at Sanji's true origins (chapter 68, December 1998) to the reveal he's a Vinsmoke (chapter 812, January 2016). 744 chapters, 18 years.

Why does these year-long joke pay-offs remind me of 8-Bit Theater and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei end chapters?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

The closest thing to a hint and it's not really a hint so much as something that gets called back to during Totto Land is Sanji saying he grew up in North Blue and read Norland the Liar. The other thing like that is when he says he read about Devil Fruits in a book as a kid.

Yeah I think the official hint (and the one Oda references directly at the start of this arc) is right before Skypeia when Sanji mentions being from North Blue. I think to most readers it's a bit of a throwaway line because you're not thinking that hard about the geography, but it confuses Nami because it would've meant crossing the Red Line to get into East Blue where they met him, which is basically impossible for normal people.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i thought it was a given that he was of some level of nobility status before ending up at baratie

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
big ones i can think of:
jinbe mentioned -> jinbe reveal (around 400 chapters, this is probably the one we know for a fact that oda was foreshadowing)
rayleigh shown -> revealed (around 500 chapters)
straw hat -> roger reveal (just over 500 chapters)

most of the longest reveals were things shown in east blue and then confirmed by rayleigh

anime was right fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 28, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The straw hat being originally owned by Roger is still really dumb

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i thought it was a given that he was of some level of nobility status before ending up at baratie

With Sanji's 'Mr. Prince' nickname, it's very plausible that that was intentional misdirection on Oda's part.

Oda does it again, etc

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

His actual back story from the Baratie arc only covers that he was working in a kitchen on a ship that was attacked by Zeff. If it's mentioned or implied that he's nobility, it comes later (IE if you took Mr. Prince as anything other than a goofy joke name).

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Oda does it again, etc

Oda's got it down when it comes to Sanji:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Personally i didnt think anything of Sanji's mr prince nickname other than he thought it was cool, and i also didnt think much about the fact that Sanji was only wanted alive because i was binge reading nonstop and didnt have time to think

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

when luffy first fought enel i only then realized that luffy was a natural counter. same reason: binge reading, not thinking.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Andrast posted:

Agree, seem kinda silly

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sarcophallus posted:

Oda's got it down when it comes to Sanji:

this is a good one yeah

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I dont get it. What's chapter 598 supposed to be showing

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bisse posted:

I dont get it. What's chapter 598 supposed to be showing

first time we've seen his other eyebrow

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

JahRoo posted:

Yeah I think the official hint (and the one Oda references directly at the start of this arc) is right before Skypeia when Sanji mentions being from North Blue. I think to most readers it's a bit of a throwaway line because you're not thinking that hard about the geography, but it confuses Nami because it would've meant crossing the Red Line to get into East Blue where they met him, which is basically impossible for normal people.

Yeah I guess I was one of those people who never really questioned it. It was well established that getting to the Grand Line is hard but I suppose I never thought of travel between the different Blues as being difficult, and had them kind of lumped together in my mind as the "accessible" seas. Also, back in the Sabaody arc it was established that crossing the Red Line is possible for civilians with the help of the Government, so the crew Sanji was part of could have theoretically crossed over from North to East Blue. So I don't think the North Blue mention on Jaya was specifically hinting at Sanji's royal ancestry, it was more of a setup for additional backstory and Oda could have figured out the details later to make the pieces fit (which is a good storytelling skill in itself). As for "Mr. Prince", it can easily be explained away as part of Sanji's chivalry/romance shtick and him being an actual prince is just a funny twist in retrospect.

Andrast posted:

Death Bot posted:

Agree, seem kinda silly

I don't super hate that revelation but it just feels unnecessary and I really don't want to see the straw hat get any more story significance beyond symbolizing the promise between Shanks and Luffy. Also, ever since the hat revelation I've been quietly bracing myself for the "Roger had the Gum Gum fruit" twist. I don't want to believe Oda would do something so lame after the crew has met so many people who actually knew Roger, but I can't completely discount the possibility.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the hat symbolizes freedom......... roger was the freest dude on the planet, and luffy will be next.....

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I can't believe the finale of the series is gonna be Luffy opening the biggest chest, only to see an empty hat stand and a note from Shanks, mocking him from the afterlife

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
The silver lining to the hat originally belonging to Roger is that Luffy cherishes it because it belonged to Shanks, not Roger.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

That's why the hat was cool, which is why it was extremely silly and pointless to go one step further and make the hat Roger's.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the pirate king effect of the hat skips a generation

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

How long did Roger have the hat for? When most people see the straw hat they either associate it with Shanks (like Buggy did), or with Luffy once he started getting big. No one goes oh that was Roger's hat, so it seemed like he didn't wear it very long and gave it to Shanks pretty quickly. Also what is that hat made of to survive 2 generations?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really like that flashback of Roger meeting Rayleigh though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Also what is that hat made of to survive 2 generations?

straw

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Star Platinum posted:

Yeah I guess I was one of those people who never really questioned it. It was well established that getting to the Grand Line is hard but I suppose I never thought of travel between the different Blues as being difficult, and had them kind of lumped together in my mind as the "accessible" seas. Also, back in the Sabaody arc it was established that crossing the Red Line is possible for civilians with the help of the Government, so the crew Sanji was part of could have theoretically crossed over from North to East Blue. So I don't think the North Blue mention on Jaya was specifically hinting at Sanji's royal ancestry, it was more of a setup for additional backstory and Oda could have figured out the details later to make the pieces fit (which is a good storytelling skill in itself). As for "Mr. Prince", it can easily be explained away as part of Sanji's chivalry/romance shtick and him being an actual prince is just a funny twist in retrospect.

I don't super hate that revelation but it just feels unnecessary and I really don't want to see the straw hat get any more story significance beyond symbolizing the promise between Shanks and Luffy. Also, ever since the hat revelation I've been quietly bracing myself for the "Roger had the Gum Gum fruit" twist. I don't want to believe Oda would do something so lame after the crew has met so many people who actually knew Roger, but I can't completely discount the possibility.

Why would Luffy having the hat mean Roger had the Gum Gum fruit?

Crosspeice posted:

How long did Roger have the hat for? When most people see the straw hat they either associate it with Shanks (like Buggy did), or with Luffy once he started getting big. No one goes oh that was Roger's hat, so it seemed like he didn't wear it very long and gave it to Shanks pretty quickly. Also what is that hat made of to survive 2 generations?

Well, Shanks gave Luffy the hat not too long after he met him so Roger might have given the hat away to Shanks right when he joined up.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
roger didn't have it during his last adventure into the grand line (which is what made him famous) -- or at least for a part of it. he did have it while being a nobody though.

i assume the hat belonged to him while he was a rookie, but gave it to shanks before he got famous.

i feel as if shanks is a lot more important than we think, honestly. like, roger gave the hat to him, so i feel as if he holds a higher importance. shanks was on rogers crew during the same year of ohara's destruction, but he was a kid then, so there wasn't a lot of time for him to be on the crew. i think shanks is related to ohara in some fashion tbh...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gol d roger ate the gum gum fruit

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

anime was right posted:

roger didn't have it during his last adventure into the grand line (which is what made him famous) -- or at least for a part of it. he did have it while being a nobody though.

i assume the hat belonged to him while he was a rookie, but gave it to shanks before he got famous.

i feel as if shanks is a lot more important than we think, honestly. like, roger gave the hat to him, so i feel as if he holds a higher importance. shanks was on rogers crew during the same year of ohara's destruction, but he was a kid then, so there wasn't a lot of time for him to be on the crew. i think shanks is related to ohara in some fashion tbh...

Shanks also literally has the exact same design and habits as Rayleigh

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the only ohara related prediction i even feel slightly safe in making is that reverse mountain exists because one of those 5 moons is hella close and creating a super pull onto it anything else theres just too many variables and what ifs still in the air (a good chunk of them might get touched on soon though which is cool)

i really hope the shanks fight shows the upper limits of non fruit users then when shanks is about to die after the best fight in one piece he'll smile and say 'wow i wasnt even half of roger in his prime hahahaha gl luffy'

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The upper limits of non-fruit users is my handsome young man Hawkeye

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I want to see what Shanks and Mihawk's fights were like back in the day.

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight
I think the moment I'm anticipating most is the final duel between Zoro and Mihawk.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

U-DO Burger posted:

Well yeah, I'm just saying I think there's more to it than that

I don't really see why it would need to personally. The hints that we've gotten feel like enough as is, making him and his actions in Alabasta understandable and relatable even if not sympathetic. I can't see he would need a flashback or why that would need expansion, since his past is already developed enough through various throwaway lines peppered throughout his appearances. I like that Oda used that as opposed to explicit flashbacks during a lot of the earlier stuff and while I'd never complain about Big Mom's flashback I don't really want another for Crocodile if and when he comes back in to the story.

Darth Walrus posted:

It'd be pretty cool if Kaido is one of the most cerebral and level-headed Emperors when he's not on the sauce. The original four at present seem to have been largely a bunch of impulsive meatheads, with no great thinkers amongst them - even Linlin, who seemed to have soft power as her field, seems to be largely the pet superweapon of an oligarchy of much smarter people in this arc.

None of them can or would ever have mostly relied on soft power. If they did they wouldn't have made it to their position in life, because someone with no respect for soft power or at least no interest in the bargains or propositions she uses to manipulate people and entities would have simply crushed her. Big Mom was always going to have to have had some hard, martial power of her own. Even outside that internal story reasoning though she had to have some hard power of her own simply because otherwise she can't be as effective a villain in a shonen series since she wouldn't present as big a threat as she otherwise could in a fight, and One Piece is and always has been a shonen series at the end of the day. Even putting that aside though I would hardly describe Whitebeard or Shanks as "meatheads". Or Whitebeard as impulsive for that matter. Certainly both used physical power to get where they are in life and maintain position, but neither was reliant only on physical power or defined solely by it. Shanks is willing to defer to others, to see their worth and to pass up a fight if it has no worth or need, while Whitebeard was quite deliberate in his actions and reasoning. Neither of them are philosopher kings or anything, but I don't really see how Whitebeard, Blackbeard, Lin Lin and Shanks are similar personalities or entities as Emperors personally.

Andrast posted:

Agreed. I liked that it was a rather worthless hat that Shanks just happened to have and use at the time and whose meaning was in the shared promise and bond between those two people. Extending it to a third person, and making it a promise and bond that's been passed down feels unnecessary and doesn't really add anything to the emotional attachment either Luffy or myself as a reader has with the hat. It doesn't really take anything away, but it makes it feel less special if it was something that Shanks was repeating too I guess.

naginalJJ posted:

I think the moment I'm anticipating most is the final duel between Zoro and Mihawk.

Mine is probably Luffy finally being conscious to meet Shanks, followed extremely closely by Usopp meeting Yasopp. Both of which will probably happen within panels of each other, and both of which will probably leave me in a crying puddle on the floor.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Did you guys forget about how Whitebeard snuck in two of his ships right under the Marines' noses at Marineford? Even Sengoku commented on Whitebeard cunning.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

EmmyOk posted:

I really like that flashback of Roger meeting Rayleigh though.

The part that establishes Roger asked Rayleigh to join him with a similar tone to Luffy asking Zoro was fine. The part with the straw hat less so. Just making it a different hat would have been so much better.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I honestly don't see much problem with the strawhat. I mean it's not like it's the first time Luffy's been paralleled with Roger. If anything the reveal that Roger used to own the hat feels more important to almost give the idea that Shanks and Roger may have had a similar relationship to Luffy and Shanks rather than the similarity between Luffy and the Pirate King.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The three cups of sake for Ace's memorial was hinted at before Sabo was ever mentioned too

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That was pretty shortly before Ace died and Sabo was revealed though. The vivre card Ace gives Luffy in Alabasta takes a couple of hundred chapters to be revealed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There was also Lola giving Big Mom's vivre card to Nami before Big Mom was ever brought up as a presence.