Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

You know, I can't help but think that Lechter literally said "Dramatic gasp!" in this line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I still say the first half of this door is a waste of time, but the second half is okay

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It feels really weird to go back to the times when Gilbert just seemed like Lila's male counterpart and not the punchable screw-up we've gotten to know over the last 1.5 games.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Erpy posted:

It feels really weird to go back to the times when Gilbert just seemed like Lila's male counterpart and not the punchable screw-up we've gotten to know over the last 1.5 games.

It really was a swift and steep decline (ascent?)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to hand it to Gilbert, he finds some way to keep going. If he were a protagonist, it would be kind of admirable.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Glazius posted:

I have to hand it to Gilbert, he finds some way to keep going. If he were a protagonist, it would be kind of admirable.

His repeated defeats at the hands of the protagonists... they fill him with determination.

I really have no other explanation for how he keeps managing to survive the poo poo he finds himself in. Frankly his ability to survive every one of his screwups and keep on trucking is at the point where if he actually learned anything from those failures he might actually be threatening! Fortunately, y'know, Gilbert.

vdate fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 29, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Doomhammer posted:

It really was a swift and steep decline (ascent?)

I'll have you know he is very much on the up

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

vdate posted:

I really have no other explanation for how he keeps managing to survive the poo poo he finds himself in. Frankly his ability to survive every one of his screwups and keep on trucking is at the point where if he actually learned anything from those failures he might actually be threatening! Fortunately, y'know, Gilbert.

My personal theory is he's Campanella's pet project to see if he can't make a complete and hilarious gently caress up a viable threat, for funsies.

My backup theory is that Aidos granted him divine protection so there's always comic relief.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Campanella made Gilbert immortal, just so he wouldn't have to hold back using him as a punching bag.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I think every appearance of Jill in these games just makes me go :allears:

Erpy posted:

Campanella made Gilbert immortal, just so he wouldn't have to hold back using him as a punching bag.

This is a horrifying thought. Hilarious and horrifying.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
These games would really benefit from a scene skip option. I'm really not looking forward to going through this door again for the sake of Mira.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
To be honest, holding down the cancel button speeds up things quite a bit.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's always the Cheat Engine speedhack :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Lynkericious posted:

My personal theory is he's Campanella's pet project to see if he can't make a complete and hilarious gently caress up a viable threat, for funsies.

My backup theory is that Aidos granted him divine protection so there's always comic relief.

Alternatively, Campanella wants to see how durable even the absolute weakest link of the enhanced jaegers is.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Jill always struck me as the intellectual counterpart to Estelle. They really have a lot of similarities, but Estelle is more about action and Jill is more about planning.

I mean, let's be honest. Planning things really isn't Estelle's strong point.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Estelle gets pretty good at planning by the end of the series; it's just that she's best at charging in to hit things with a stick, and she plans accordingly.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
She just got lucky in the fact that "beat it with a stick" was the best plan for most of her problems.

I mean, wouldn't you want to beat Weissman with a stick? Pretty sure everyone who met him did.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 30, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's luck and then there's the realization that a sufficiently motivated person with a sufficiently sturdy (also big) enough stick solves a whole lot more problems than you'd think they'd be able too.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wonder if Gilbert would be as memorable if he first showed up in SC on the ship.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I wonder if Gilbert would be as memorable if he first showed up in SC on the ship.

He'd still be a pretty decent gag villain, but the fact that such a minor NPC who everyone absolutely forgot about came back to be a gag villain both adds a lot to his character and the gag, and kind of emphasizes some of the series' best strengths (consistent world building and character arcs)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
No, he wouldn't have been as memorable. He just would have started out as an overly cocky Ouroboros lackey with a weird voice who potentially gets beaten up by Estelle before getting clowned by Joshua. It's his role in FC that allows SC to set the tone for him before you even fight him by giving Estelle the opportunity to not remember who he is and then pile on the humiliation by reminding him that he screams like a little girl when injured.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
When I think of Ruan in the first game I think of a killer boat chase

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alright, back to the real world.

The real...game world. The world that everyone is currently stuck in and trying to get back to the real game world. Whatever.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Oh hello best shoes in the game.

Ok I'm exaggerating, but I still have trouble believing how much use I got out of that speed bonus.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
After having played the Cold Steel games, I can say I easily appreciate the amount of foreshadowing and little hints they drop here and there about how hosed up Erebonia is, and the kind of dude their chancellor actually is.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
And so Liberl's biggest goofball joins the fray. I once heard that Anelace was initially intended to be just a SC temp like Kurt, but they promoted her to full-time playable party member in the 3rd in response to popular demand. Not hard to see why.

I'm still not sure what "Speeds up when cornered" is supposed to mean in Anelace's description on the party selection screen. Might be a translation oversight or something. Anyway, yeah, Anelace's a lot like Zin in that she's a purely physical scrapper who's horrible at arts but fairly good at hacking stuff up while making Kenshiro noises. Her stats are kinda underwhelming for a frontline fighter. Her HP is about the same as Scherazard's while her defense is about the same as Ries', meaning it's passable, but not great. Her strength is on the same level as Tita's. Her saving grace is her self-buff, which allow her to hit as hard as a Forte-buffed Mueller and some really good equipment options that raise her stats from okay to solid. She's still really fun to use and her crowd-gathering craft coupled with some arts or chain crafts can make mincemeat out of groups. Her whirlwind skill doesn't work on extremely large monsters like the giant boss at the end of the second plane, but her Fallen Leaves animation that kicks foes into the air doesn't discriminate on size, allowing Anelace to perform the Kiseki equivalent of supplexing a train, even if the AT delay effect doesn't work against everything.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Anelace :woop:
Cuteness is justice.
I still want a trails of cute justice game, Falcom.

Random thought, she's master Ka-fai granddaughter, right? She's about 2 years Rean's senior, you think their training might have overlapped some?

Lynkericious posted:

After having played the Cold Steel games, I can say I easily appreciate the amount of foreshadowing and little hints they drop here and there about how hosed up Erebonia is, and the kind of dude their chancellor actually is.

Chancellor von Hitler is kinda an horribly evil dude.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hey now, the Chancellor did nothing wrong.

...I'll see myself out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Omobono posted:

Anelace :woop:
Cuteness is justice.
I still want a trails of cute justice game, Falcom.

Random thought, she's master Ka-fai granddaughter, right? She's about 2 years Rean's senior, you think their training might have overlapped some?

Anelace is the best.

I certainly hope that she and Rean trained together, because I really want her to show up in Cold Steel 3 and have a duel with him.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some Numbers posted:

Anelace is the best.

I certainly hope that she and Rean trained together, because I really want her to show up in Cold Steel 3 and have a duel with him.

I think his thick skull is a bit beyond even the eight leaves style. It would still own

By the way, funny way of spelling Estelle there mister :colbert:

Although, everyone is the best here. They even managed to make me forgive and like that jerk Agate, and let me tell you how much patience I have for that character archetype.
It's probably why I love the Trails series.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Omobono posted:

By the way, funny way of spelling Estelle there mister :colbert:
Estelle is amazing, no doubt, but Anelace is the best.

Put another way, Estelle is the best, but Anelace is The Best (tm)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Anelace is the best.

*date

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the problem with this is that rean is a guy

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Anelace is the best.

I certainly hope that she and Rean trained together, because I really want her to show up in Cold Steel 3 and have a duel with himfall into her boobs for a comedy moment.
You know that's actually what will happen.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I actually found her to be pretty useful. Not exactly overpowered but great in her own right with one great thing that puts her ahead for a bit

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Endorph posted:

the problem with this is that rean is a guy

I'm sure it wouldn't matter. Anelace is probably cutesexual.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

No, it's true, Anelace would be way more interested in Millium and Fie and the other girls.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I imagine if Anelace were to visit Reaves, she'd ignore Rean and just spend her time there glomping Towa all day long. :P

It's a nice change of pace to see Anelace not being a silly doofus for a change. This door also sets up a lot of lore that gets picked up in Cold Steel regarding the Eight Leaves school and its founder. What's also very neat is Anelace's description of Richard's Morning Moon form. What she says about how Richard's style is a defensive style synchronized to the opponent's breathing and geared towards striking the moment the opponent goes on the attack is actually very suitable for Morning Moon move that Rean has in the Cold Steel games, which is a move that makes him go into a defensive stance and dodge then counter enemy attacks. 10 points for Falcom for consistency.

And yeah, the Jinu is ludicrously powerful.

• Locked thread