Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone complaining about the stronghold being hoisted clumsily on the player with the first few hours needs to play BG2 again – specifically D'Arnise Keep.

I don't know what to say about classes not having powers strong enough to feel powerful. Pretty much every class in the game, between level 7 to level 9 or so, starts getting ridiculously good abilities and the ridiculousness only really increases the higher your level goes. It's kind of analogues to AD&D actually where every class is boring in the beginning but diversifies a bit later on – except more so in Pillars.

As far as items go, there's a lot more item variety and items with unique effects in Pillars than there is in BG1/BG2.

Enemy placement is a matter of taste I suppose.

The mechanics definitely aren't transparent though that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

B2 has tons of memorable items. Poe has nothing worth remembering.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

cheesetriangles posted:

Again this is a matter of taste.

Off the top of my head I can say: Tidefall, Sanguine Plate, Shod in Faith, Stormcaller, Bittercut, St. Ydwin's Reedmer, Gloves of Swift Action, Hours of St. Rumbalt, Little Saviour, Munaca Arret, Spirit Spiral, The Blade of the Endless Paths, Binding Rope, Shame or Glory, Maegfolc Skull, Garodh's Chorus, Outworn Buckler etc ....

Most of the above are game-changing items for builds. I could go on.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Entropy238 posted:

Anyone complaining about the stronghold being hoisted clumsily on the player with the first few hours needs to play BG2 again – specifically D'Arnise Keep.
D'Arnise Keep is one of the worst bits of BG2 but it's also completely avoidable, especially if you don't like Nalia as a character.

It also comes at a different point in the BG story arc than the stronghold.

By that time in BG2 your character has already Been Adventuring with a set of companions you can either keep or ditch (even if you didn't play BG1, your links with the characters are well established in the starting area), and one of them is already the driving point for the story. Your characters are pretty powerful fighters, clerics, mages etc. by that point too. Caed Nua you get after a couple of hours ambling around while your character is pretty weak and you have basically no idea what's going on, at all.

quote:

The mechanics definitely aren't transparent though that's for sure.
It's not even that they aren't transparent (they are, in quite an ugly way), it's that there's too many of them, and they don't interact elegantly.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, I wish there were some more personality to Thaos. The other driving force in the game is supposed to be ridding the PC of their visions, since they lead to madness. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, they forgot the mantra "show, don't tell" as there are literally no negative repercussions to the player becoming a watcher. I get to talk to ghosts and see into the past. Neat! Why get rid of that?
Right. Again not technically an IE game but NWN2's Mask of the Betrayer, although a kind of mechanically weak experience, did a good job of this with the spirit-eating mechanic. You can eat spirits. Heck if you are a real jerkoff you can even eat souls! A lot of them at once! And then use them to make extra bitchin equipment for yourself!

But if you do, you might just accidentally kill yourself through your insane hunger for power.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Entropy238 posted:

Again this is a matter of taste.

Off the top of my head I can say: Tidefall, Sanguine Plate, Shod in Faith, Stormcaller, Bittercut, St. Ydwin's Reedmer, Gloves of Swift Action, Hours of St. Rumbalt, Little Saviour, Munaca Arret, Spirit Spiral, The Blade of the Endless Paths, Binding Rope, Shame or Glory, Maegfolc Skull, Garodh's Chorus, Outworn Buckler etc ....

Most of the above are game-changing items for builds. I could go on.

Tall Grass, Cladhalíath, Grey Sleeper. Okay I admit i had to look up Cladhalíath's correct name because that thing is a bitch to spell.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

jBrereton posted:

It's not even that they aren't transparent (they are, in quite an ugly way), it's that there's too many of them, and they don't interact elegantly.

I've always thought that where Pillar's combat mechanics end up is fine, it's how they get there and how that's conveyed to the player is the problem.

I'd wager though that if you took a person who'd never played CRPGs before and sat them down in front of Pillars and then sat them down in front of BG2, they'd have a much better idea of what's happening in Pillars. I've played the Baldurs Gate series off and on for about 15 years and I still only really fully got to grips with the mechanics a few years ago. Not sure if that's what you mean by elegance

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jBrereton posted:

By that time in BG2 your character has already Been Adventuring with a set of companions you can either keep or ditch (even if you didn't play BG1, your links with the characters are well established in the starting area), and one of them is already the driving point for the story. Your characters are pretty powerful fighters, clerics, mages etc. by that point too.

My favorite BG2 stronghold is the playhouse. It's rare for DnD video games to let a bard PC actually be a bard, and it's a fun little storyline.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Entropy238 posted:

I've always thought that where Pillar's combat mechanics end up is fine, it's how they get there and how that's conveyed to the player is the problem.

I'd wager though that if you took a person who'd never played CRPGs before and sat them down in front of Pillars and then sat them down in front of BG2, they'd have a much better idea of what's happening in Pillars. I've played the Baldurs Gate series off and on for about 15 years and I still only really fully got to grips with the mechanics a few years ago. Not sure if that's what you mean by elegance

THAC0, the brilliant system that only makes sense to people who played AD&D 20 years ago!

BG2's overly complicated and unbalanced as heck spell protections/dispelling has a certain charm though, since you feel like an actual wizard once you finally master it. For once in a fantasy game, it really, really does make sense for wizards to spend half their lives studying.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

THAC0, the brilliant system that only makes sense to people who played AD&D 20 years ago!

BG2's overly complicated and unbalanced as heck spell protections/dispelling has a certain charm though, since you feel like an actual wizard once you finally master it. For once in a fantasy game, it really, really does make sense for wizards to spend half their lives studying.

BG1 was 19 years ago.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

cheesetriangles posted:

BG1 was 19 years ago.
*lalala just reading random threads about games I like*

aauugh right in the age

:negative:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pssht it's just THAC10 in new money

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Through sheer osmosis, lower=better is burned into my brain for AC and THAC0. The rest I keep forgetting and re-learning.

Oh, one other thing I haven't forgotten is that Haste is the number one OP low-level spell that you should have your mage cast all the time

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

cheesetriangles posted:

I feel like PoE does, but the problem is that I read the item descriptions and abilities and all the words kinda slide off my brain.
That's probably a result 2nd Edition D&D being a pretty big part of my youth.
I hear "Holy Avenger" or "Hammer of Thunderbolts" and my ears perk up. And nothing in PoE can do that. That's not really PoE's fault though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

jBrereton posted:

Right. Again not technically an IE game but NWN2's Mask of the Betrayer, although a kind of mechanically weak experience, did a good job of this with the spirit-eating mechanic.

I think you're the only person besides me who actually likes the spirit eater mechanic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think you're the only person besides me who actually likes the spirit eater mechanic.

I like the spirit eater mechanic as a concept, and it certainly does provide an impetus to want to get rid of it. But I feel its implementation leaves much to be desired.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
POE lacks some of the texture of other CRPGs, in part because every aspect of the UI and combat system has been modernized. People who want a custom X/Y/Z adventurer even get the option, which is good. But the designers failed to realize that a lot of good texture comes from imparting a little confusion and frustration on the player. I should say, rather, than the unintended confusion and frustration of older systems has an unintended positive side effect. Archaic to-hit rules and spell landing priorities, as others pointed out, made the player want to figure the game out in spite of itself. The world was compelling enough to persevere and eventually learn it all.

POE's combat, on the other hand, establishes itself as something that is pleasant and should stand in support of a larger central thing of awesomeness (plot, party, visuals, whatever). The combat has been so balanced and over-normalized that it feels like whacky memorable weapons, encounters, a certain despised creature type (okay, gently caress ogre druids, nothing is fun about that) have been mechanically balanced out of existence. Everything is ridiculous about the notion of questing around a medieval world with six (why six?) gullible humanoids following your fool's errand and succeeding against all odds; when combat makes sense and seems excessively fair/balanced, that is what stands out as wrong. I think the best example of this is armor, which might as well just be a slider with high DR on one end and high recovery rate on the other. I have never cared less about armor in a game.

The world is decent but not amazing and the party is decent but amazing. Nothing comes to the foreground and grabs the player and says "this is awesome, and you will love every second of it and ask for more when it's done." Nothing is overwhelmingly awful or fills the player with dread either, which is fine. The game takes such good care of the player that they never get to worry as in the past, when sailing to Spellhold or limping out of Nashkel mines.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think it's refreshing to see people earnestly argue that badly thought-out mechanics and unbalanced combat design are actually good things. A far cry from the usual boring discussions on the subject.

Cythereal posted:

I like the spirit eater mechanic as a concept, and it certainly does provide an impetus to want to get rid of it. But I feel its implementation leaves much to be desired.

To be honest, I'm not sure there is a good way to implement it. It's kind of meant to be a nuisance, and it succeeds rather admirably at that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How the gently caress do I beat Yxunomei. I actually killed her once, but then one of my party members died.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think it's refreshing to see people earnestly argue that badly thought-out mechanics and unbalanced combat design are actually good things. A far cry from the usual boring discussions on the subject.

To be honest, I'm not sure there is a good way to implement it. It's kind of meant to be a nuisance, and it succeeds rather admirably at that.

Seems appropriate when the primary complaint against POE is that it doesn't hit the nostalgia buttons.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
PoE isn't quite as meticulously "balanced" as people think it is.

Many of the classes, if used correctly, have abilities that can completely break many of the challenges that the game throws at you (which is fine, because discovering and implementing these strategies on different playthroughs is part of the fun).

The design philosophy behind many of the balance choices throughout development seems to have been made with a view to increasing the choices available to the player, rather than the challenge of the game.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Entropy238 posted:

The design philosophy behind many of the balance choices throughout development seems to have been made with a view to increasing the choices available to the player, rather than the challenge of the game.

IMO this is an extremely good design philosophy and it's a big part of why I like F:NV and PoE so much.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The problem with having systems be too fair is there's no sense of accomplishment or creativity possible. Take World of Warcraft as an example. When you're level X, you will only ever do quests that are level X, and any tactics or methods that let you punch above your sanctioned weight class will be aggressively patched away because they represent an escape from the the skinner-box model that drives the game's profits. This can be an issue in single-player games too, where bizarre outlying scenarios like

BG2's overly complicated and unbalanced as heck spell protections/dispelling
are considered too complicated or make the game "too easy", where "too easy" is defined as "able to be beaten without having raised your character's stats to the properly sanctioned level". BG1 and 2 are replete with escapes from the progression level available for those who know how to manipulate their systems, and while most people will never do it, the fact that you CAN beat the game by going around and grabbing all the right items and spells that have the right bizarre interactions with each other is a wonderful thing. I've never played PoE so I can't comment on it specifically, but if all its equipment is really like

Zeris posted:

I think the best example of this is armor, which might as well just be a slider with high DR on one end and high recovery rate on the other. I have never cared less about armor in a game.
then that's a real shame. Weird stuff like Vhailor's Helm granting simulacrums to non-caster classes, a Mislead-casting mage/thief rapid-firing nuclear-powered backstabs with the staff of striking, casting invisibility on the cleric and strolling through graveyards exploding everything with turn-undead, these are the scenarios I remember and enjoy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah like, it is breaking my brain as I'm usually yelled at in the POE thread for being a grog, but like man, if you really want to game to be confusing on purpose, just play it in Portuguese or something.

Edit: I do agree that there should have been a lot more wacky equipment, even if it risked being overpowered or game breaking.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Phlegmish posted:

How the gently caress do I beat Yxunomei. I actually killed her once, but then one of my party members died.
You need +2 weapons to hit her. You should have a couple at this point (if you somehow don't have any that are useful to your party, the smith in Kuldahar sells some cheap generic +3 ones), and there are +2 arrows to be found on the way to her. Which is good, because you don't want to melee her early on in the fight, and only with tanky party members later on.

Generally, you want to have your tankiest party member enter the room and then back out again. That room is full of traps and there are good choke points everywhere. Then just use summons to delay her. She's not going to be damaged by a lot of summons (I think Totemic Druid spirit animals can harm her at that point and that's it), but she's not immune to Bombardier Beetle farts, so if you've got the insect summoning spell, this is a good time for it. While she works through the summons, have an archer shoot her with any +2 arrows you've got and let the rest of the party deal with the Yuan-Ti.

Dealing with the Yuan-Ti just boils down to casting Web everywhere and interrupting or blinding the casters. You might occasionally have to use the archer that's supposed to weaken Yxunomei to shoot some mage, depending on how many archers/casters you've got.

By the time Yxunomei needs to be dealt with in melee, she should be weakened and the most dangerous Yuan-Ti should be dead, the rest ideally stuck in a web or otherwise CC'd.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 28, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

You need +2 weapons to hit her. You should have a couple at this point (if you somehow don't have any that are useful to your party, the smith in Kuldahar sells some cheap generic +3 ones), and there are +2 arrows to be found on the way to her. Which is good, because you don't want to melee her early on in the fight, and only with tanky party members later on.

Generally, you want to have your tankiest party member enter the room and then back out again. That room is full of traps and there are good choke points everywhere. Then just use summons to delay her. She's not going to be damaged by a lot of summons (I think Totemic Druid spirit animals can harm her at that point and that's it), but she's not immune to Bombardier Beetle farts, so if you've got the insect summoning spell, this is a good time for it. While she works through the summons, have an archer shoot her with any +2 arrows you've got and let the rest of the party deal with the Yuan-Ti.

Dealing with the Yuan-Ti just boils down to casting Web everywhere and interrupting or blinding the casters. You might occasionally have to use the archer that's supposed to weaken Yxunomei to shoot some mage, depending on how many archers/casters you've got.

By the time Yxunomei needs to be dealt with in melee, she should be weakened and the most dangerous Yuan-Ti should be dead, the rest ideally stuck in a web or otherwise CC'd.

Thanks for all the tips, though I somehow managed to beat her in the meantime. The game changer was when I finally put +2 arrows on my archer. She got hit probably the majority of the time and I eventually managed to take her out that way.

One of my problems is that I still have a +1 sword on my main tank guy. I just haven't found any +2 two-handed swords at all. I know the smith in Kuldahar is selling some good two-handed swords, but I don't find it to be that cheap? I don't have 50,000 gp at this point, though I hope to get decent money from selling all my loot from the Yuan-Ti dungeon.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

jBrereton posted:

The most basic problem with PoE was its self-indulgence and egotistical plotting/design choices.

So clearly it's ripping off BG2, right, but in Baldur's Gate 2, a lot of the character moments were about other people rather than yourself. Like let's take the starting dungeon as a great example.

You are just kind of being victimised by Jon Irenicus who clearly has some kind of mad scheme. You being in a cage is about him, and not you. Imoen's busting you out but really that's a lot about her rather than you, again, and theoretically at least the entire second act is about her. Khalid is dead which is a shock for Jaheira. Yoshimo joins up with you but is working towards his own goal. The genie's game about selfishness or selflessness sets the theme up even more, as do all of the hosed up little suicidal things in a jar that tried to profit off the back of Irenicus. The stage is set for a game with a more even balance of power between yourself and the other characters, and even though that changes later on (way too far in ToB, which is part of the reason that was Bad), that change is thematic, and the themes of selflessness vs selfishness continue into Hell itself.

Sometimes your party is a bit handicapped by the conflicting aims and personalities going on inside it, or you can't get quite the composition you wanted, but that's alright, because any party can complete the game so long as you have at least one arcane caster, priest, fighter, and thief in your team of six (and even the thief is a little optional), and all the characters have their own take on things, which is great.

At the start of PoE some random people join you for five minutes so you can do a sidequest and walk through a quite bad dungeon which would have been slightly too difficult for 1 person (and they die at the end just to reinforce how amazingly special you are and how kind of pointless they were). You then start being a ~special guy with special ghost-o-vision~ that is entirely about you. You then get a castle within about 3 hours despite being Some Guy. None of the NPCs are very memorable. Probably the single worst design decision of PoE though was the (actively encouraged) ability to literally buy yourself a party of your choosing with no personality. That is a disaster in a 'proper' CRPG.

The writing is also really undergrad-y which I just don't personally like, the combat is floaty and a bit obtuse, encounter design is bad, and you never get remotely invested in a world the game achingly wants you to think is cleverly designed, but that stuff would have been more forgivable if there were characters you had an interest in carrying on the story with.

(Full disclosure, I have given up on PoE several times at about the point you go to a big tree)

What the gently caress

Zeris posted:

POE lacks some of the texture of other CRPGs, in part because every aspect of the UI and combat system has been modernized. People who want a custom X/Y/Z adventurer even get the option, which is good. But the designers failed to realize that a lot of good texture comes from imparting a little confusion and frustration on the player. I should say, rather, than the unintended confusion and frustration of older systems has an unintended positive side effect. Archaic to-hit rules and spell landing priorities, as others pointed out, made the player want to figure the game out in spite of itself. The world was compelling enough to persevere and eventually learn it all.

POE's combat, on the other hand, establishes itself as something that is pleasant and should stand in support of a larger central thing of awesomeness (plot, party, visuals, whatever). The combat has been so balanced and over-normalized that it feels like whacky memorable weapons, encounters, a certain despised creature type (okay, gently caress ogre druids, nothing is fun about that) have been mechanically balanced out of existence. Everything is ridiculous about the notion of questing around a medieval world with six (why six?) gullible humanoids following your fool's errand and succeeding against all odds; when combat makes sense and seems excessively fair/balanced, that is what stands out as wrong. I think the best example of this is armor, which might as well just be a slider with high DR on one end and high recovery rate on the other. I have never cared less about armor in a game.

The world is decent but not amazing and the party is decent but amazing. Nothing comes to the foreground and grabs the player and says "this is awesome, and you will love every second of it and ask for more when it's done." Nothing is overwhelmingly awful or fills the player with dread either, which is fine. The game takes such good care of the player that they never get to worry as in the past, when sailing to Spellhold or limping out of Nashkel mines.

What the gently caress!!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Also, again, I'm not seeing where people are getting this notion of excessive balance from on Pillars.

There are item/class/racial combos in Pillars that you can use which utterly break the game, similar to what there is in BG.

Edit: hell, a bog standard wizard in Pillars with deleterious alacrity of motion on is pretty analogues to a decked out sorcerer in BG with improved alacrity

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The "the unintended confusion and frustration of older systems has an unintended positive side effect" claim, reminds me of some of the nostalgia I have for Everquest. Not just in terms of there being less shared knowledge about how everything works than there is now for any new MMORPG, but also the fact that I had no idea what was going on and everything was new and had to be figured out. I remember it with more fondness than I have for other similar games, but I doubt I'd enjoy revisiting it. Nostalgia only goes so far.

In other news I'm about to start PoE so should be able to definitively inform everyone whether it's good or not in a couple of weeks.

E: Any basic "before I start stuff" I should know? Like screwing myself over from the beginning, or is it all good in that respect.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 28, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I mean, my favorite game is loving 7.62 High Caliber, but I love it despite it's flaws, not for them.

If someone came out with the non-broken version of that game I would never play the original again.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Regarding balance, all I want is to be able to ask "What is the best build for a Wizard Slayer" without the obvious answer being "Inquisitor". :(

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think both the newest pokemon and persona games suffer from too many 'quality of life' improvements. I don't even particularly like hard games, but I do like obfuscated game mechanics and navigating a system more than hitting the Super Effective Button and trudging on to the next fight

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I haven't played the newest pokemon games but Persona 5 only lets you press that button after you discovered an enemy's weakness and literally the only thing it does is prevent you from going through 3 menus to hit it. You're still navigating the trial-and-error gameplay before hitting their weakness once. How is this bad?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Phlegmish posted:

I know the smith in Kuldahar is selling some good two-handed swords, but I don't find it to be that cheap? I don't have 50,000 gp at this point, though I hope to get decent money from selling all my loot from the Yuan-Ti dungeon.
For some reason, some of the generic magic weapons he sells cost 5,000 and some cost 50,000.

Gravy Jones posted:

E: Any basic "before I start stuff" I should know? Like screwing myself over from the beginning, or is it all good in that respect.
There's not much, no. It's hard to really screw yourself over, and you can respec. Couple things to watch out for:
Guns and crossbows/arbalests are, for most of the game, not great for sustained damage, but good alpha strike weapons.
If you play a Rogue, Backstab is kinda bad.
Intellect, Perception and Resolve are the main stats for extra conversation options. Resolve is probably the least generally useful stat overall, unless you play a dedicated tank. Meanwhile, everyone can use some extra Perception, except dedicated tanks.
One-handed style is subpar.
If you don't have the expansions (which are great), you won't get a Monk, Rogue or Barbarian companion.
Hire a mercenary/create a generic party member at the first inn, you won't get a full party during the first chapter otherwise.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Samuel Clemens posted:

Regarding balance, all I want is to be able to ask "What is the best build for a Wizard Slayer" without the obvious answer being "Inquisitor". :(
Is "Head over to Gibberlings 3 and download the appropriate mod." a satisfactory answer?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lt. Danger posted:

What the gently caress
It's just not a well-paced game with interesting themes that carry on into the mechanics!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I haven't played the newest pokemon games but Persona 5 only lets you press that button after you discovered an enemy's weakness and literally the only thing it does is prevent you from going through 3 menus to hit it. You're still navigating the trial-and-error gameplay before hitting their weakness once. How is this bad?

Because its mindless

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

Why even have the combat at that point? Genuine question.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Super No Vacancy posted:

Because its mindless

So is mashing through the appropriate menus to hit their weakness once you know it. the problem with Persona's combat is that hitting a weakness essentially sets the enemy team up to wipe them out, and not doing that means they can do the same to you. That's not a quality of life problem, but one intrinsic to the "one more!" system they use.

jBrereton posted:

Why even have the combat at that point? Genuine question.

Not every enemy has the same weakness and the enemies come in different groups/mixes, and some just don't have a weakness. Additionally, casting spells uses up mp that you can only replenish with items or leaving the dungeon, until you get some special replenishing skills late in the game. So it's a balancing act between mashing the spells and conserving your mp for later in the dungeon, as well as recruiting the monsters of the dungeon to use them for yourself and fuzing them to have the required skillset to tackle the different segments of the dungeon.

In theory this could allow for quite a lot of challenge with resource conservation and getting a balanced team together, where you hit enemy weaknesses, avoid getting your own hit and don't cast "damage all" spells when some enemies in the fight can reflect them, but I'm overselling the complexity of Persona's combat.

In practice you go through a floor of the dungeon, there's 4-5 "groups" of enemies that you fight a few times each and by the time you've discovered all of their weaknesses you get to the next segment of the dungeon and there's new enemies with undiscovered weaknesses. Except the devs forget about that part and sometimes you can go through 3-4 levels with just one specific spell and wipe out everything.

The problem isn't the UI or quality of life improvements, it's that the new "press this button to save 3 menus worth of time and instantly hit the enemy's weakness" reveals the flaw of this system: if the devs didn't give enough variety to the enemy groups you face, the system itself is bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Like why even play video games at all if obfuscated mechanics and lovely UI design doesn't get you rock hard???