Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Palpek posted:

Don't get me wrong, your idea comes from the right place and your positive attitude and unwithering belief in people is very valuable in this place. While I'm no pesimist myself I sometimes have to call things for what they are and we've both seen too much evidence of how unintrospective and misguided some people can be for that thread to work.

To be fair to Video Games, this place is WAY better in that regard than it was 10-13 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought not selling healing items at all in the entire game was a neat idea, until I was stuck in a save past the point of no return, forced to use all my party members, most of which dont have the ability to heal, which requires spamming healing items, that ostensibly I was supposed to grind somewhere. But now i can't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I dunno why that's a thing in Wild Arms, I remember getting pretty stuck in 3 because I totally ran out of healing items and didn't bother growing any like you're​ supposed to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

Hours of unskippable cutscenes?

There are only 2 unskippable cutscenes in Max Payne 3

edit: But then again, who knows if that was their reason for declining it given that the reason I was told was "..."!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I dunno why that's a thing in Wild Arms, I remember getting pretty stuck in 3 because I totally ran out of healing items and didn't bother growing any like you're​ supposed to.

I guess they wanted to make at least some part of the game challenging before it ended, so their idea of a hard boss was "spams AOE attack that applies every single status effect in the game" which is just awful. There is a spell to nullify status affects but its something the blue mage has to learn and ive never bothered with blue mages. Oops

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unfortunately the potential to screw yourself over irredeemably was still a feature of RPGs at the time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CJacobs posted:

There are only 2 unskippable cutscenes in Max Payne 3

edit: But then again, who knows if that was their reason for declining it given that the reason I was told was "..."!
Maybe not enough glitches/weird exploits used?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Hours of unskippable cutscenes?

But enough about the 8 hour FF7 speedrun they've got planned

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't have a problem with that Best of E3 list though I always laugh thinking about how Evolve swept E3 "awards" and then cratered so loving hard

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

All those awards are for unfinished games, they always seem pointless to me.

The only award that matters is Games Chat Game of the Month. Since Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal wasn't actually released this month, I guess I'll go with Tekken

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!

Sakurazuka posted:

Unfortunately the potential to screw yourself over irredeemably was still a feature of RPGs at the time.

This was fun to discover in early days Everquest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

Maybe not enough glitches/weird exploits used?

Maybe. That would make me sad, because there really aren't any, Max Payne 3 has a lot of funny glitches but all they do is break the game in silly ways that don't allow you to proceed.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Game of the Month is Final Fantasy Bloodstormer 14 : After The Fall of The Realm Reborn Looked Heavensward.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah :/ its not insurmountable but I just don't want to try again right now because it took like an hour.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You can beat the game In Training! I believe in you!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Give me the breath of fire character in your fighting game capcom.

It would have to be Bleu because she's the same one in all of them.

Also yeah it would be nice to have a thread for discussing social stuff in video games, but there's still no way it would actually work and not turn to garbage immediately.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 28, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChA5H2gddDE

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's only one gamer rule: no rules !! and also please be nice to me

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
No Luigi??? What the gently caress Hasbro?

Also why it's it not just called Mario Monopoly or Mariopoly?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mariopoly is banned in most red states

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chumbler posted:

It would have to be Bleu because she's the same one in all of them.

I imagine it would be one of the Ninas because it needs to be somebody that you can have a passing knowledge of knowing nothing about the series and also they're not putting in another character named Ryu in their fighting game with a Ryu.

Or the more accurate answer of nobody.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i cooled off with Nex Machina which seems awesome. I 1CC'd Rookie and am eager to try the harder modes.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

i cooled off with Nex Machina which seems awesome. I 1CC'd Rookie and am eager to try the harder modes.

It's so loving good omg

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

good news for Irish goons

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

should have been a Crash Bandicoot fidget spinner tho, missed opportunity.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

No Luigi??? What the gently caress Hasbro?

Also why it's it not just called Mario Monopoly or Mariopoly?

He is a paid add-on. Not kidding

"The POWER PACKS will be available this August for a suggested retail price of $2.99 each."

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

looks like the old wheel is turning for ruiner to come out soon. it's the first game I've genuinely been looking forward to in a while

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He is a paid add-on. Not kidding

"The POWER PACKS will be available this August for a suggested retail price of $2.99 each."
Loving that "Come at me" pose Wario is doing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's true

Serf
May 5, 2011

capitalism has broken us each in our own way

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Palpek posted:

Don't get me wrong, your idea comes from the right place and your positive attitude and unwithering belief in people is very valuable in this place. While I'm no pesimist myself I sometimes have to call things for what they are and we've both seen too much evidence of how unintrospective and misguided some people can be for that thread to work.

it'd be a great honeypot for shitheads tho

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While there are plenty of new games coming out I'm looking forward to (Sonic Mania, Mario Odyssey, the Kirby Switch game, etc.), as much as I enjoyed the original I'm still a bit hesitant regarding Before the Storm.

On the one hand, it's nice that Ashly Burch is still on the writing team even if she can't reprise her role for legal reasons, the character models actually emote properly this time and with the Rewind mechanic gone this basically becomes a Telltale game where your choices actually (seem to) matter in the end.

But on the other, while not terrible the quality of the voicework seems to have taken a step down judging by the preview footage and, as I've mentioned before, this really isn't a story that needed to be told and probably won't give us anything that wasn't already explained in Life is Strange. I'll probably wait until the reviews come in before I decide to give it a shot myself. And if it sucks then hopefully the proper sequel DontNod is currently working on will end up being a little better.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That's how I feel about prequels in general. They never seem to offer anything new or interesting that we absolutely had to know about the original's characters / plot

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only reason to make a prequel to something is if you had a really good character that died in the original and want to see more of them without just undoing their death.

Or if the backstory to your original work was a lot more compelling than the actual work (hello, Lufia!).

This Life is Strange game seems to have a lot of issues besides just being an unwarranted prequel.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe you should only be able to do prequels if you make everyone babies

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Remember that time when EA made a Marvel vs. fighting game but instead of licensing another universe for them to fight they just made up a bunch of new, terrible superheros of their own? That was weird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe you should only be able to do prequels if you make everyone babies

That has a pretty bad track record actually.

Guy Mann posted:

Remember that time when EA made a Marvel vs. fighting game but instead of licensing another universe for them to fight they just made up a bunch of new, terrible superheros of their own? That was weird.

There were so many problems with that stupid loving game. Having half the roster just be random nobodies that not a single soul cares about instead of iconic Marvel characters was just the tip of the bad idea iceberg.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Remember when Silicon Knights coughed up a Marvel side scroller with their dying breath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
prequels are no more inherently worthless than sequels imo

i'm gonna give DONTNOD the benefit of the doubt until i actually play it

• Locked thread