Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Real talk, if you eat meat and there's a butcher anywhere nearby, get to know them. Ask them advice on what's good at good prices in your area. So long as you don't make uncomfortable eye contact and slow-jerk motions while you're talking to them, they'll usually be happy to help you out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
:psyduck: Did that guy really go through my whole thread posting history to find a :killshot: regarding chinese duck? Sorry man, I've literally never seen duck in a grocery store except for ethnic markets. Especially not ever seen a whole-bird-including-the-head chinese style duck.

I did notice the other day that my favorite local latin market sells middle-eastern food as well as semi-obscure "latin" stuff like recaito. Gonna make some ridiculously cilantro-fied beans this week, and then check out that http://www.gazakitchen.com/ cookbook. I guess this is the same woman who did that episode on Anthony Bourdain's show in Palestine, but when the Conflict Kitchen tried to do a Palestinian menu with her, they literally received multiple death threats. wtc

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 27, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

:psyduck: Did that guy really go through my whole thread posting history to find a :killshot: regarding chinese duck? Sorry man, I've literally never seen duck in a grocery store except for ethnic markets. Especially not ever seen a whole-bird-including-the-head chinese style duck.

I did notice the other day that my favorite local latin market sells middle-eastern food as well as semi-obscure "latin" stuff like recaito. Gonna make some ridiculously cilantro-fied beans this week, and then check out that http://www.gazakitchen.com/ cookbook. I guess this is the same woman who did that episode on Anthony Bourdain's show in Palestine, but when the Conflict Kitchen tried to do a Palestinian menu with her, they literally received multiple death threats. wtc
A) it's just a matter of clicking the ? below your avatar
2) you're becoming insufferable with your hot takes on who's the thriftiest

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I took your advice, and most of your posts are one-liners, and half of your posts itt are responding to me. Thanks!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

What if you're poor because your bacon spending is out of control?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Butch Cassidy posted:

What if you're poor because your bacon spending is out of control?
Then you'll die fat, happy, and early!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Uncle mom, aunt dad, stop fighting in front of the kids. :ohdear:

I made a week's worth of burrito meals for work this weekend. Both the breakfast and lunch variety. Breakfast was 5 slices of thick cut bacon, 1 can of roast beef hash, 1 small onion, half a green pepper, 5 button mushrooms, 5 eggs, a green onion, some spices, 5 slices American cheese and 5 wheat tortillas. Lunch was 1lb ground beef, 1 small can hot chopped jalapeno, 1 can refried beans, 1 can black beans, 1 small onion, 1 half green pepper, 1 handful frozen corn, half a bag of "Mexican style shredded cheese", and 5 more tortillas.

For breakfast, cook bacon, scramble and cook eggs and seasonings, saute veggies and add in hash and cook till crispy. In each tortilla, place a slice of cheese, slice of bacon, around 1/4 cup hash veggie mix and 1/5th of the eggs. Wrap tortillas, wrap in tin foil, freeze overnight.

Lunch, cook meat, add chili powder too taste, drain fat. Saute fresh veggies and mix with canned veggies. In each tortilla, place 1/4 cup bean mix, 1/4 cup meat, sprinkle with cheese, wrap and freeze.

Both burritos cook well in a toaster oven at 450 for 45 minutes. Make fresh beans and tortillas and whatever else at your own discretion. I'm neither poor enough nor motivated enough to make everything from scratch. Point is, is cheap, filling, quick to make, and lasts me all work week. It's hard to quantify exactly how much i spent though because a lot of this was stuff i either bought as part of other meals or had laying around.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

Both burritos cook well in a toaster oven at 450 for 45 minutes. Make fresh beans and tortillas and whatever else at your own discretion. I'm neither poor enough nor motivated enough to make everything from scratch. Point is, is cheap, filling, quick to make, and lasts me all work week. It's hard to quantify exactly how much i spent though because a lot of this was stuff i either bought as part of other meals or had laying around.

Do you cook them beforehand and microwave them at work, or do you dominate the work toaster oven for 45 minutes?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I took your advice, and most of your posts are one-liners, and half of your posts itt are responding to me. Thanks!
insufferable: check
bad at math and/or fractions: check

coyo7e posted:

Holy poo poo, I just got fact-checked on fractions! :psyduck:
poo poo happens when you mouth off and get shown up for being smarmy and wrong.

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 27, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo, I just got fact-checked on fractions! :psyduck: I guess it was more like 1/3 which means you spend too much of your life replyign to me with one-liners, and half the rest of the time, you still just shitpost one-liners.

But more seriously, my local latin grocer changed their chorizo recipe and it's like a weird dessert sausage now, it's so cloyingly sweet that I don't know what to do but never buy it again. rip, cheap fresh chorizo

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The soy chorizo from Trader Joes is awesome and goes really well in breakfast burritos.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Midniter posted:

Do you cook them beforehand and microwave them at work, or do you dominate the work toaster oven for 45 minutes?

I cook all the cookable meats and eggs and such at home before freezing, and use the toaster oven because I like somewhat crispy burritos that aren't soggy and steamed :colbert:

Also, we have 3 toaster ovens and typically no one is using them at all. And 8 microwaves. :c00lbert:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Here's a better idea. Let's all quit posting about posters posting and get back to the topic of inexpensive cooking.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

My supermarket sells 670g of random bacon cuttings/trimmings for £1.50, it's awesome.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Tendales posted:

Real talk, if you eat meat and there's a butcher anywhere nearby, get to know them. Ask them advice on what's good at good prices in your area. So long as you don't make uncomfortable eye contact and slow-jerk motions while you're talking to them, they'll usually be happy to help you out!

I did this and it became a 20min rant about how management is trying to push out guys like him - high wage scale union guys - in favor of centralized cutting packing and distribution. "These new kids, they just get the cut from the box and put the price on it."

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
everyone should really find local small ethnic groceries. The Mexican place by me has things for stupid cheap prices all the time. Their produce is often marked way down because you need to use it same day, but it's great if you plan ahead. It's 2 minutes from me, so I can hit it on the way home and come away with 4 avocados for the price I'd normally pay for 1 at Shoprite or something.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
And eat four avocados that night?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Anne Whateley posted:

Buy them at various stages of firmness and you can have avocados for days

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

THE MACHO MAN posted:

you need to use it same day

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ron Jeremy posted:

I did this and it became a 20min rant about how management is trying to push out guys like him - high wage scale union guys - in favor of centralized cutting packing and distribution. "These new kids, they just get the cut from the box and put the price on it."

Any place that isn't breaking down whole carcases from scratch on site is not a real butcher shop.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Girlfriend had friends coming over so I made guacamole

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anne Whateley posted:

Mash em up, put some lime/lemon juice in it, put it on stuff for the next couple days

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

avocado makes for a delicious easy no cook pasta sauce. throw some avocados in a food processor with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, fresh basil, some chopped spinach (optional, but I always keep cubes of the stuff in the freezer), salt, pepper, a dash of chilli if you want and a big ol handful of grated parmesan. Also add a ladle full of the pasta cooking water, and whiz in the food processor, then stir through your pasta.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

avocado makes for a delicious easy no cook pasta sauce. throw some avocados in a food processor with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, fresh basil, some chopped spinach (optional, but I always keep cubes of the stuff in the freezer), salt, pepper, a dash of chilli if you want and a big ol handful of grated parmesan. Also add a ladle full of the pasta cooking water, and whiz in the food processor, then stir through your pasta.

I'm probably being pedantic, but would you mind posting some rough guidelines for a newish cook? I just picked up the ingredients, here's my guess - let me know how close I am 😆

3 small avocados
1/2 cup oil?
Handful of spinach
Half handful of basil
Juice of one lemon
2 cloves garlic

And for the chopped spinach cubes do you just blend the poo poo out of some spinach and ice cube tray it?

Thanks for helping a n3wb

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Good news everyone, I'm cooking bean soup all day today and it's my first time making anything like it (I'm VERY new to cooking.)

I started last night by setting out a pound of pinto beans to soak overnight until I got home from work, and now I've got them on a low boil. Then I'm adding celery, onions, garbanzo beans, and bowtie pasta to it. I have a couple questions!

1. I have a little bit of bacon in the fridge, should I start the broth by dropping those in first? Should I remove the bacon strips later, or leave them in?

2. I have some powdered parmesan here. If I mix that into the soup, will it dissolve? Or at least give the broth a nice parm flavor?

3. What seasonings should I use? I have:
Salt/Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder (already including an onion)
Cayenne Pepper
Paprika
Chili Powder
"Steak Rub"
Parsley

I'll have this cooking on the stove (ain't got no crockpot, yet) for like six more hours while I play with my cat and lose at LoL.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doc Walrus posted:

Good news everyone, I'm cooking bean soup all day today and it's my first time making anything like it (I'm VERY new to cooking.)

I started last night by setting out a pound of pinto beans to soak overnight until I got home from work, and now I've got them on a low boil. Then I'm adding celery, onions, garbanzo beans, and bowtie pasta to it. I have a couple questions!

1. I have a little bit of bacon in the fridge, should I start the broth by dropping those in first? Should I remove the bacon strips later, or leave them in?

2. I have some powdered parmesan here. If I mix that into the soup, will it dissolve? Or at least give the broth a nice parm flavor?

3. What seasonings should I use? I have:
Salt/Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder (already including an onion)
Cayenne Pepper
Paprika
Chili Powder
"Steak Rub"
Parsley

I'll have this cooking on the stove (ain't got no crockpot, yet) for like six more hours while I play with my cat and lose at LoL.
I'm not sure about the pasta and garbanzo beans.

Hold off on the parmesan for now. Start with the salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and paprika. Cumin would probably be good, too. You'll probably need to add some acid to it (lime, lemon, vinegar), but don't do that until the beans are cooked. See how it tastes and then decide if you want to add the parmesan - you won't need to cook it for any significant amount of time. You could probably add some to a small side bowl just to try.

I'd probably fry the bacon until it's crispy and then add it to the soup, and wash the pan out into the soup using the soup broth. Really, I would have cooked the beans separately, fried the bacon until it was crispy, sauteed my veggies in that grease, and then added the beans on top of that.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
drat that was quick, thanks! Pinto beans are finished boiling by themselves. I'll cook up the bacon while I chop the veggies, then start up the broth (I'm using beef bullion for the broth, is that a good idea?) while I cook the veggies in the bacon grease. Then I'll get a couple ladels of broth into the pan and put that back in the pot. I guess I could hold off on the chick peas and pasta. I have some limes I didn't know what to do with, so great!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, question, would it be cheaper to bake my own rolls as opposed to buying them from the store?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
It probably depends on your level of familiarity with a dinner roll recipe, the number you need and time. Personally, I would buy the take and bakes from the grocery store, but I'm not a baker and working with yeast intimidates me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the grocery store stuff is cheaper if you are only making enough for dinner for one night for a few people

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm probably being pedantic, but would you mind posting some rough guidelines for a newish cook? I just picked up the ingredients, here's my guess - let me know how close I am 😆

3 small avocados
1/2 cup oil?
Handful of spinach
Half handful of basil
Juice of one lemon
2 cloves garlic

And for the chopped spinach cubes do you just blend the poo poo out of some spinach and ice cube tray it?

Thanks for helping a n3wb

I buy frozen chopped spinach from the supermarket. It's cheaper than buying fresh spinach. I use 2 avocados, 2 cubes of spinach, and 4 cloves of garlic (but I really like garlic, 2 is fine for most people). Oil I just add a little splash, and then add more as I see fit based on what the texture looks like. I'd probably start with 1/4 cup (I use extra virgin olive oil). 1 lemon might be overkill. I squeeze lemon juice and store it in the fridge - I pour a little bit at a time until it tastes right.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Considering it just got to be 87 degrees here today, might I recommend this freezer biscuit recipe from budget bytes? I made them before, they're easy, quick, and you can make a poo poo ton of them and bake as you want in the toaster oven so you warm up the house slightly less. My only recommended change would be to fold them more than the suggested twice, as my biscuits basically split in two, almost like english muffins. However, I don't know if the extra kneeding would make the biscuits chewier or not. If you have it, I recommend brushing very lightly with salted butter about halfway through baking, and sprinkling on some parsley at the very end for that totally-not-a-cheap-cook look.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BraveUlysses posted:

the grocery store stuff is cheaper if you are only making enough for dinner for one night for a few people

It's more for sandwich purposes throughout the week than a single night's dinner.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
So my bean-and-bacon soup is finished and holy poo poo, it's good. This is going to become a regular thing for me. Dirt cheap, full of carbs and protein, and delicious. Now I just need to safely store the leftovers without having the equipment for a proper ice bath (unless one ice tray counts as an ice bath.)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Bingo.

I can make some drat fine rolls, as one would expect, but I can't do it as cheap as I could in the bakery, because I'm paying retail for ingredients and my time is worth something.

Make rolls at home if you enjoy it or want to do something specific, but you can't beat three bucks a dozen at the store unless you're making them by the gross.

Doc Walrus posted:

So my bean-and-bacon soup is finished and holy poo poo, it's good. This is going to become a regular thing for me. Dirt cheap, full of carbs and protein, and delicious. Now I just need to safely store the leftovers without having the equipment for a proper ice bath (unless one ice tray counts as an ice bath.)

Just let it come down a bit so it doesn't spike the fridge temp then huck it in the fridge. Time and temp says you have 6 hours to get it below 41 degrees f, which so long as you're not putting a gallon of boiling soup into a dorm fridge, yours should handle fine.

If you're really worried about it, several single portion containers cool faster than one large one.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 6, 2017

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

Just let it come down a bit so it doesn't spike the fridge temp then huck it in the fridge. Time and temp says you have 6 hours to get it below 41 degrees f, which so long as you're not putting a gallon of boiling soup into a dorm fridge, yours should handle fine.

If you're really worried about it, several single portion containers cool faster than one large one.

You were right, there wasn't really enough of it to keep itself hot for long. It's in the fridge now after sitting out until it was only lukewarm.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Any place that isn't breaking down whole carcases from scratch on site is not a real butcher shop.

Yeah that was his point. They used to do that with union butchers, but now they're centralizing to limit the use of labor.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doc Walrus posted:

drat that was quick, thanks! Pinto beans are finished boiling by themselves. I'll cook up the bacon while I chop the veggies, then start up the broth (I'm using beef bullion for the broth, is that a good idea?) while I cook the veggies in the bacon grease. Then I'll get a couple ladels of broth into the pan and put that back in the pot. I guess I could hold off on the chick peas and pasta. I have some limes I didn't know what to do with, so great!

Did you go with the limes? With bullion I find that too much is possible, so I tend to put about half of what recipes recommend. It's mostly just an MSG vector anyway.

Now I feel like I should explain more of why I cautioned you away from the noodles and garbanzo beans - in short, less can be more. When we're learning how to cook, we tend to want to try everything and throw everything in. You're better off limiting it to one experiment per dish, that way you can tell what's doing what. Really, there aren't too many dishes that have a lot of different things - even extremely elaborate Indian dishes with a full page of ingredients can usually be summarized as "spice mix, veggies, meat, sauce base," and everything else is a sub-step to producing one of those things. Because you stayed away from the noodles and the garbanzo beans, you got a better sense of how the bacon and beans work.

Anyway, I figure that the noodles would have soaked up way more moisture than you would have wanted, without really adding too much to the soup, and they'd be gross in the leftovers. Try them in a simple broth and noodle soup, like chicken or beef instead. The garbanzo beans might not have been bad, but given how much bean the soup already has, they're probably unnecessary, and the texture might have been at odds with the beany slurry that boiled pintos will create.

I like making a soup like that out of black beans.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A good bean soup works just fine without all the additions anyway.

My goto is pretty classic midwestern/southern, start by sweating mirepoix and bacon or ham in a little butter. Add a gallon of water, a pound (dry) of pre-soaked navy beans, and a ham bone. Salt, pepper, couple bay leaves. Bring up to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 90 minutes or so until the beans start to get soft. Pull the bone before serving.

Serve with (or as I prefer on top of) cornbread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
For starting off with simple cooking The Stone Soup is a great site. Simple, cheap, stuff. Quite often 4 - 5 ingredients max. You really don't need to add a billion things to make tasty food.