Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/880118990860931072

edit:

https://twitter.com/BA_Turner/status/880120889299189760

aww i liked montrezz

also more cash

https://twitter.com/CVivlamoreAJC/status/880120765844267009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

there's no way that thing is the same species as the rest of us.

that's some kind of amphibious oily fish

how can it understand basketball when the family has only recently evolved hands

e: My masterpiece is broken. Nevermind this

Imagine that I had made a beautiful gif of John Cusack morphing into Gar Forman

I remain convinced that Gar Forman is as close to John Cusack as DeMarcus Cousins is to Roseanne's son

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 28, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Don't leave, Masai. You're literally the only good exec we've ever had.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's definitely a Blake quote lol

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I need Blake to get sign and traded to Portland for junk please.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
WAIT WHAT THE gently caress

I HAVE TO ROOT FOR JAMES HARDEN NOW?!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
btw CALLED IT

EvanTH posted:

Pretty sure the Clippers era is ending and it will be best summarized by that clip of Crisp Haul having a seizure yelling at DJ to put the loving ball in the hoop the game isn't over

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64OWlQDLFSU

Dexo posted:

His hairline is spectacular.

alien doesn't understand where to place the toupee--still convinced it's blending in

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

True, I guess I'm just rephrasing some stuff Popovich has said about it all.

Playing for the Pelicans is more dangerous than going to war at this point. Start calling your injuries "casualties" and tell the players at the beginning of the season that not all of them are going to survive

Hah. Yeah, the fans have that outlook, if not using that terminology.

I am excited for the team this season. They made some assistant coach hires that I am optimistic about. Boogie looks significantly trimmed down. Davis is working on his handle and off-the-dribble shots. If they can get Jrue back at a reasonable price, I'll be down right happy with the off-season.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EvanTH posted:

I hear there's a former ROTY (who could maybe use a shooting coach) available for cheap, is that good enough :laugh:
Be careful what you wish for...

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
"Only one basketball" is my favorite argument for a sport with 10 guys playing at once.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Harrell to the Clips is good for them.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

The having hair portion of his head is attempting to flee from his face.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/880123618394374144

:stare:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lol Carmelo maybe

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

This isn't very interesting analysis. It's basically like "the good teams are well-managed!" you don't say.

I like that the Rockets are grabbing a bunch of random afterthought players for cash piles today that's actually hilarious.

I also don't know how a Paul/Harden backcourt will work together, but there's enough talent between the two of them that it doesn't really loving matter they are going to be insanely good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Isn't Paul George in the orbit of the banana boat boys ?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Omg I'm going to get Chris Paul George!!!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

What would they be giving up for one of those guys?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

He's always seemed like a loner to me

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Can the rockets really not, say, trade Beverly to a random team for a protected first or second rounder or something. I know they have to dump salary but why is all of it going to clippers instead of some of it and getting (low) value for other assets being sent to other teams

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Well theres no way in hell they are getting Paul George so that means Melo. lol

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

So It Goes posted:

Can the rockets really not, say, trade Beverly to a random team for a protected first or second rounder or something. I know they have to dump salary but why is all of it going to clippers instead of some of it and getting (low) value for other assets being sent to other teams

Because the Clippers are giving up the most valuable player in the trade, so they get to set the terms. The Clippers also need to match incoming vs outgoing salaries, so they need to take back on salary for the trade to be legal, its not just that the Rockets need to send out salary for them to get CP3

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

pubic works project posted:

Omg I'm going to get Chris Paul George!!!

Your Pacers are going to get fleeced if they have to trade PG to the Rockets

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean if they think CP3 and Jimmy the Beard are gonna have trouble sharing the ball, adding Melo to that equation ain't gonna help matters.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Your Pacers are going to get fleeced if they have to trade PG to the Rockets

Eh, I can live with it.

:negative:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I mean if they think CP3 and Jimmy the Beard are gonna have trouble sharing the ball, adding Melo to that equation ain't gonna help matters.

Melo with other all stars and superstars means he might go full Olympics Melo.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

So It Goes posted:

they'd have to clear another 10m to outright sign Paul and from the flurry of deals now they're having a hard enough time getting this much cleared. Basically to sign him as a FA, unless CP3 took a big pay cut, they'd need to trade either Gordon or Anderson. I also think theres an element of striking while the iron is hot and getting it done now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dexo posted:

I actually don't know if that's good or bad

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Because the Clippers are giving up the most valuable player in the trade, so they get to set the terms. The Clippers also need to match incoming vs outgoing salaries, so they need to take back on salary for the trade to be legal, its not just that the Rockets need to send out salary for them to get CP3

The clippers are trading because cp3 told them he would leave in FA. As a comparison, when lebron signed and trade with Miami Cleveland got back like a protected pick. Miami dumped Beasley to Minnesota, not to Cleveland when clearing up room. Maybe salary matching rules were different back then.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
Mods please change my name to "INCREASING RISK PROFILE"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dexo posted:

I totally forgot about International melo

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I actually don't know if that's good or bad

It's insanely good

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Would staggering Harden/Paul's minutes so they're playing without one another as much or more often than they're playing together be the optimal way to use them? Will stars teaming up ever accept this arrangement

I guess it's more useful as a regular season tactic than it'd be in the playoffs, and you want them to be as comfortable together once the playoffs actually roll around, so it wouldn't be a good idea. But I wanna see a true star just mercilessly wrecking bench lineups on the regular

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

He's got his own crew:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

PG will like your city as long as you have fishing. He seems to have avoided the Indy strippers which is a good thing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

Wasn't Deandre Liggins kind of OK?

Edit: lol, nope. He was not.

Edit Edit: Ohh, he's the dude with the 1 minute PER record. Yeah, that is probably not a good indication of his playing value.

He won the Mavs last game (his only game with the team) causing the Kings to have a one game worse record, move up in the draft, and swap their pick with Philly. Basically he stopped the Mavs from having the third pick. He looked like a potential end of rotation player in that one game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

xbilkis posted:

Would staggering Harden/Paul's minutes so they're playing without one another as much or more often than they're playing together be the optimal way to use them? Will stars teaming up ever accept this arrangement

I guess it's more useful as a regular season tactic than it'd be in the playoffs, and you want them to be as comfortable together once the playoffs actually roll around, so it wouldn't be a good idea. But I wanna see a true star just mercilessly wrecking bench lineups on the regular

The Warriors do this with Durant and Curry

And the Pelicans did this in the beginning with Cousins and AD

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

PG will like your city as long as you have fishing. He seems to have avoided the Indy strippers which is a good thing.

Yeah cuz they nasty here

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

xbilkis posted:

I'm sure you're going to see minutes staggered. D'Antoni will have one of them on the court at all times outside of garbage time. Stars now a days will happily admit that they need someone else to help carry the offensive load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

So It Goes posted:

The clippers are trading because cp3 told them he would leave in FA. As a comparison, when lebron signed and trade with Miami Cleveland got back like a protected pick. Miami dumped Beasley to Minnesota, not to Cleveland when clearing up room. Maybe salary matching rules were different back then.

There were a lot of difference in that case
-LeBron was already a free-agent and had decided where he was signing, the Rockets trading for Paul prevents someone else like the Spurs beating them in FA
-The Heat had the capspace to sign LeBron outright, the Rockets do not. Becuase of that, the Rockets need to actually match salary, while the Heat just used their capspace. The heat only had to create a little bit of space on top of their already massive capspace. The Rockets would have had to traded away even more salary than they did in this trade to create the cap space to sign Paul outright (you only need to match about 90% of the salary in a trade).
-Additionally, Paul's FA max would be more than 10M+ higher than his current contract, so they would have had to clear even more space to sign him as an FA.

This way, they can trade less to get him, get their MLE and BAE (you don't get those if you start free agency under the salary cap), and get his bird rights so they can sign him to long term contract after this season

• Locked thread