Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.

nesbit37 posted:

of course definitely still happy to talk to Mudcrab Merchant if she has any time.

I got pulled into doing a HUGE industry presentation thing, and will not be free until after July 5th. If that's still good, please feel free to PM me or email me again!

Read: I'm the worst.

EDIT: New Page! How about them board games youz guyz? I'm playing Seafall and can't decide if I love it or hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

EDIT: New Page! How about them board games youz guyz? I'm playing Seafall and can't decide if I love it or hate it.

Big same on this. I've had it since GenCon and still only halfway through the campaign and I spend a lot of time just kinda frustrated at every thing

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

That does not bode well for the sealed copy sitting on my friends shelf.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I got pulled into doing a HUGE industry presentation thing, and will not be free until after July 5th. If that's still good, please feel free to PM me or email me again!

Read: I'm the worst.

Thats still good! Will pm you and sit tight till July, thanks!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i'm late but Dice Tower Con is okay. went a few years back.

it's run pretty well, but that's mostly because it's 90% open gaming space and a board game library (with barcode checkin/checkout!)

tom vasel is a homophobic shitlord.

probably wouldn't go again.

Although I did get a laugh, I was teaching Space Alert, and one of the guys asks me:

"Are you going to be teaching the entire game, like, in character like that?"
"Yes, crewman! Now on your very safe journey where nothing bad will happen you'll need to know what happens if something bad happens..."

And then he got up and walked away.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Deviant posted:

it's run pretty well, but that's mostly because it's 90% open gaming space and a board game library (with barcode checkin/checkout!)

Although I did get a laugh, I was teaching Space Alert, and one of the guys asks me:

"Yes, crewman! Now on your very safe journey where nothing bad will happen you'll need to know what happens if something bad happens..."

If you can't handle the gallows humor charm of teaching space alert in character, the game is not for you. You did everyone a solid.

Also, drat I haven't played space alert in forever. Nobody local to me finds the real time stress of the game fun. You're supposed to fail damnit! It makes winning all the more satisfying! :argh:

E: But people love Fuse what the heck :argh: :argh:

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Deviant posted:

Glorious.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

You kind of have to teach Space Alert in character. It comes with a separate rulebook that's written like that.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I'm excited to play some Arkham Horror LCG and Dark Souls, but after about 5 games of Dark Souls, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it:

Pros -
Sculps look amazing
A clutch Dodge roll really has a Souls feel to it
The bosses are proper scary
Complacency can and will get you killed, even by normal mooks
Victory after a tough encounter feels awesome

Cons -
We felt the need to house-rule the amount of Souls you get after an Encounter so there isn't so much grinding
We also felt the need to house-rule the gear i.e. we laid out some "basic" upgrades that could be bought without the RNG of the Treasure deck. I know I know, sorry. It was sure just slight upgrades over the starter gear
Without the house rules, grinding/RNG can be pretty tedious
The boss arc/movement system is sort of confusing and in my opinion not explained very well in the manual
While you can theoretically build whatever you want, you don't necessarily get a "blank slate". You have to start as one of the classes, and those classes each have a unique cap for each stat. If I choose a Knight, he can only accrue so much Dex and therefore will be locked out of the really high Dex weapons. I don't know if this is really a con or not, but it does make each person sort of adhere to their archetype.

I really enjoy it but it's not a game I could play all of the time. I'm excited about the kickstarter expansions adding some further wrinkles into the game. Maybe some goon games will help.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

The Gen Con vomit treat at the end is making me rage internally about everything I hate about gamers. I can't tell if thats a joke food or they are seriously suggesting people eat that thing but I wouldn't put it past several people to do so.
It reminds me of that video about doing your own room-based sous vide cooking in that it fundamentally assumes you literally do not care about how it might look that you are doing something, just that you want to save money/eat efficiently/whatever. Except...at least that one comes from a sort of reasonable place. Yeah, I wanted to be sure I had time to review this important material before responding, and uh. I THINK it is a joke? Except they sure took a lot of time making it for a joke.

ALSO HE SAID "REE-SEES" INSTEAD OF "REESE'S" SO I WILL END HIM

I am a little torn, I appreciate that they at least tried to make something like "the least healthy trail mix" instead of just buying a bag of bite-size Snickers. But what they ended up making also seems like the worst thing ever, so there is that.

Also hey wow, this OTHER video actually has things being discussed I did not know about! (Even if it is because he lists a few things that take place at specific times and locations rather than all general tips) (O.K. maybe just #10 and #7, still noteworthy to my overinformed self)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW1w2ff3Pw8

Alsoalso good lord our conspicuous consumption as nerds is going wonderful places
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXcnJ_oeIyw
"Should be reminiscent of an old dank basement with a dead squirrel stuck in the wall."
"Oh wow!"
"There's a bit of decay in there along with the mold"

Edit: Oops I should have maybe not started a post yesterday and then not checked the thread before posting it

Deviant posted:

After reading about his time studying at a not-exactly-progressive theological school I suppose that should not surprise me. Still too bad.

Edit: Important update on why a member of the Gen-Con Forums had a late place in the events registration list

:( posted:

I was about 7500, but that's largely because my wife decided to... distract me... a titch before registration opened.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 22, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This deserves its own post because I am so angry that this was never advertised when I was an unemployed Gen-Con fanatic living in Seattle (and occasionally asking on the forums and on Facebook if there were ever any low-paid grunt jobs available, at that)

http://www.gencon.com/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/7728-work-at-gen-con-in-seattle-this-summer

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So... Gen Con may sell out now? That is both awesome and terrifying. I also don't know what that means, like they are about to hit fire code max for the convention center and stadium and there will be no onsite badge sales or just that pre-show badge sales will need to stop.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Adrian Swartout posted:

To continue providing the best attendee experience we have decided to carefully control badge sales, and we will begin capping badges when we reach our internal attendance estimates.
Yeah it is hard to parse that precisely, but I cannot imagine they would stop badge sales and then be all "just kidding!" when people got there on-site, unless the ambiguous "internal attendance estimates" means they will stop selling them once the estimated on-site purchases in addition to the pre-registration purchases equal roughly the fire code maximum? Edit: But then...their on-site estimates would be all that much harder to calculate if they cut off badge purchases for the first time ever. So I suspect this means people showing up and expecting to buy a badge will be turned away. MAYBE exempting Sunday Family Day Badges?

Regardless...ugh. I genuinely thought this would never happen. It terrifies me to imagine a future where I might hype up Gen-Con to someone and have that person be like "drat, I could not get a badge this year!" :smith:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Regardless...ugh. I genuinely thought this would never happen. It terrifies me to imagine a future where I might hype up Gen-Con to someone and have that person be like "drat, I could not get a badge this year!" :smith:

You have already hyped up Gencon to everyone you know, Quarex. If they haven't figured it out by now, perhaps scarcity will increase their desire to attend next year.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I figure the rest of gencon will spill over into Lucas Oil, just like TD did. And then the steak and shake right around the corner. AND THEN THE WORLD.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Deviant posted:

You are a hero

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait until the year I get to play a game of something or an RPG in the baseball stadium.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I don't know why but I am having a paranoid moment about housing. Does anyone knows what happens if they try to charge your credit card on august 1 for the 1 night room deposit and the card is declined? For some reason I keep freaking out that is going to happen (there is no reason it should) and that they will just cancel the reservation if that happens.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

I don't know why but I am having a paranoid moment about housing. Does anyone knows what happens if they try to charge your credit card on august 1 for the 1 night room deposit and the card is declined? For some reason I keep freaking out that is going to happen (there is no reason it should) and that they will just cancel the reservation if that happens.

i had to deal with it last year regarding a card expiration date, they just called us and told us it, they don't just cancel it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I can't wait until the year I get to play a game of something or an RPG in the baseball stadium.

Victory Field, the AAA baseball stadium next to the JW seems a bit more... sunny than your typical Gen Con attendee would prefer.

fordan fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 26, 2017

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
So what happens if an event runs beyond its allotted time?

There are tickets for a 1844/1854 event for a 2hr time slot which seems absurd. That game is a behemoth. Is it just to trial the game?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
You leave or stay if there isn't anything else at that table after. Sounds like someone screwed up on that one though.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am so glad I decided to check last year's Gen-Con Forums posts for amazing quotes. I am going to do this in two parts because I keep finding more and I do not want everyone to skip this post like I totally would if I saw a huge wall of quotes for no reason

Someone Smarter Than You posted:

People saying that the lottery system is "fair" are either new attendees or don't know what fair really means. It would be fair if your housing priority was based on the number of years you'd been attending Gencon.
(Torrent replies: "I think they should build an apartment for me in the middle of the show floor.")

A Strange Person talking about which food trucks are best posted:

We literally only came to Gen Con last year to eat two meals at the food trucks. Ending up spending a few hours in the dealer hall and buying a bunch of stuff, but that was not why we made the trip.

Bigger Picture Man posted:

(Grabbing women's asses) is totally inappropriate behavior and unacceptable, but unfortunately not shocking. Just liked I'm not shocked that you are blaspheming my God in your response to this situation. Unfortunately, we live in a society where evil has become good and good has become evil.

The King Of Excellent Opinions posted:

Gencon is succeeding despite itself. It's to bad really, the Con itself used to be much better than it is now.... I still believe the Big Bang Theory effect will fade away and the demand will tail off over the next several years so the housing deal might fix itself.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am so glad I decided to check last year's Gen-Con Forums posts for amazing quotes. I am going to do this in two parts because I keep finding more and I do not want everyone to skip this post like I totally would if I saw a huge wall of quotes for no reason

(Torrent replies: "I think they should build an apartment for me in the middle of the show floor.")

For more quotes like these visit the Gen Con forums at GenCon.entitlednerd.fart

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Better yet, don't!.

Just pretend that aside from Goons and awesome industry people, everyone at Gencon is some sort of bridge troll or stank fairy.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Ego Trip posted:

Better yet, don't!.

Just pretend that aside from Goons and awesome industry people, everyone at Gencon is some sort of bridge troll or stank fairy.
There's no need to pretend, citizen.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Any goons signing up for Artemis Bridge simulators or some of these 4e games?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'm signed up for the intro mission for Artemis on Sunday, noonish.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I am signed up for intro artemis at 10am on Sunday.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Moriatti posted:

Any goons signing up for Artemis Bridge simulators or some of these 4e games?

Paging cell block or ego trip to discuss our trip through bridge simulation.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Artemis is fine, but they seem to charge a lot for their events (and the software is free, so if your friends want to play, you may as well just all get a copy and play at someone's house or something). (Fake edit: It looks like the Artemis events are mostly $12 for an hour, which is fine. In past years, they had some really expensive sessions where there were costumes and stuff.)

Deviant is talking about when we played Horizon, and I was the comms person, basically harassing space movers and taunting enemies (and possibly swiping right on space tinder). We managed to hit a planet.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Deviant posted:

Paging cell block or ego trip to discuss our trip through bridge simulation.

Paging, mostly.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

CellBlock posted:

Artemis is fine, but they seem to charge a lot for their events (and the software is free, so if your friends want to play, you may as well just all get a copy and play at someone's house or something). (Fake edit: It looks like the Artemis events are mostly $12 for an hour, which is fine. In past years, they had some really expensive sessions where there were costumes and stuff.)

Deviant is talking about when we played Horizon, and I was the comms person, basically harassing space movers and taunting enemies (and possibly swiping right on space tinder). We managed to hit a planet.

It jumped out in front of us.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Deviant posted:

It jumped out in front of us.

As comms guy, I can confirm that it was, in fact, radio silent.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Here is another assortment of quotes from last year's forums discussions because I find them endlessly entertaining and nothing else is happening in the thread now anyway

The End of Gen-Con posted:

Choosing to stay with the failed housing method, huge increases in ticket price, reduction in service and events, and the growing apathy toward any opinions of the attendies and contributors, means no.
My family, my friends, and I, will not be attending.
On the plus side, this spared the person who posted right above this guy, pointing out that it was unacceptable that badge prices had gone up, given that record attendance should mean they already made plenty of money and should be satisfied.

Well, I NEVER! Man posted:

I guess I need to read the forums more since a lot of what I am seeing here would have more than likely caused me to cancel (my badge) and simply met friends I wanted to see from out of town.
The culmination of a discussion about media guests of honor not being that big a draw for the convention. NO MEDIA GUESTS, NO CON

Ultimately They All Say This I Guess posted:

I have been attending Gen Con since MECCA and I remember going for the gaming and not because 100,000 other people now consider it a passing pop culture fancy. And yes, I find that part annoying (fine, that isn't PC to say but the crowds are interfering with my ability to do the gaming that Gen Con used to be about and there really isn't any argument to that)....I am sure there are 100,000 more people watching the Big Bang Theory who will take my place. :)
It might not be POLITICALLY CORRECT to say it, but I literally hate people who enjoy different things than I do.

Also, as they say, "just lol" at the repeated mentions of the Big Bang Theory I also like the utter lack of self-awareness on the guy who talked about how funny it was that his convention attendance overlaps with the surge in attendance from the fake gamers ... hmm. Hmmmmmmmm.

No, Please, Why Must You Do This posted:

I had been encouraging folks to reuse half used request slips by saying "Recycle and save the shrubbery." Someone at the front of the line heard me and started quoting Monty Python's "Holy Grail." When they faltered someone a little further picked it up. Soon we had the entire line reciting the movie line by line. There was lots of (bad) singing and lots of laughter over the next 2 plus hours while the board was reset.
Granted I bet quoting Monty Python in groups in 1984 or whenever this was was significantly more surprising

What To Pack For Gen-Con posted:

KINDA NICE TO HAVE:
Deodorant: Optional, but if you're the type who gets smelly and sweaty at a con, bringing it is a public service.
Well, we finally found the problem, the guy who says deodorant is "optional but nice to have" if you get sweaty (if)

For contrast, one item in his "required" list: "GenCon booklet maps"

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I remember two years ago when the Big Bang Theory mentioned Gary Con in the show and everyone at the con started freaking out that attendance might swell to some ridiculous sum. Everyone was quasi-panicking online in both good and bad ways. They even had a life size standee of Sheldon made up and put a Gary Con shirt on him. Con came along and sure, attendance was up, but no more so than was really expected for a growing convention in its 8th year. Still all you could hear in the hall was the sound of some grognards blaming the growth of the show and how they couldn't get tickets to Ernie Gygax's game because of the Big Bang Theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9fADIP_6eM

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 3, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I remember two years ago when the Big Bang Theory mentioned Gary Con in the show and everyone at the con started freaking out that attendance might swell to some ridiculous sum. Everyone was quasi-panicking online in both good and bad ways. They even had a life size standee of Sheldon made up and put a Gary Con shirt on him. Con came along and sure, attendance was up, but no more so than was really expected for a growing convention in its 8th year. Still all you could hear in the hall was the sound of some grognards blaming the growth of the show and how they couldn't get tickets to Ernie Gygax's game because of the Big Bang Theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9fADIP_6eM
I am shocked I managed to forget about that clip almost immediately after learning about it. That certainly does help explain part of the claim that the show is pushing attendance (along with the clip about them trying to get ComiCon tickets). Even though it does not, in fact, explain why people honestly believe that someone would spend hundreds to thousands of dollars to do something because a character on a television show mentioned it.

...O.K. if it were a Big Bang Theory convention then I could see that being true though, to be fair. Thinking of my old supervisor who took her vacation every year just to go to a Supernatural convention.

But yeah, it is wonderful to watch the process of "blame whatever remotely related thing you hate the most if something goes wrong with things you love" in the nerd world.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The immense jump in ticket prices was like $5-10 right?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The immense jump in ticket prices was like $5-10 right?
Yes it was $10 after being the same for like eight years

Also I would like to point out that, though correct me if I am wrong, prices for events (as in the $4/hour baseline) have not changed in at least 20 years. Do you think maybe they are intentionally leaving those prices low for the benefit of gamers? WELL, OBVIOUSLY, NO, THAT IS JUST FURTHER PROOF THAT THEY ARE GREEDY somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
My hype level has started to build my goons....just like every mid-summer for the past 5 years or so

• Locked thread