Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Tollymain posted:

the sails can go on the bottom of the boat

landing underneath islands would require a change in shipyard behavior

Do they need to be attached to the very center? I haven't been able to find a spot where they go green when "inverted".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
How do I fix the FPS?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Pubbie writes a forum post to try and discredit TSA and it's Rubber Duckey initiative...

It backfires immediately with waves of support for the Duck Fleet...

The pubbie loses his poo poo and writes some slander or racist response against the goons, who are clearly the victims here...

Which then gets deleted and gets himself blocked for a while...

Hilarity Ensues.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

KyloWinter posted:

How do I fix the FPS?

Turn off your monitor.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KyloWinter posted:

How do I fix the FPS?

Get to an island that doesn't have as much poo poo lying around. It's pretty bad and my #1 complaint so far.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Internet Explorer posted:

Get to an island that doesn't have as much poo poo lying around. It's pretty bad and my #1 complaint so far.

Yeah, I posted a thread about poo poo islands in the WA forum. I am amazed that some of these passed muster, much less were made spawn points.

I am quite the thread creator there. I am no Forge however.
https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/island-voting/

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 28, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Any protips for breaching stormwalls? It's been a real struggle for me. I managed to break through once but then my ship turned 180, back into the storm, I froze out, died and was forced to respawn back in the zone I was in before. My best engine power rating is T2 26 and I have a core generator that lets me have 1400 weight, so I can fit four engines and four T2 wings - should I be spending more time exploring and getting better schematics before heading back in?

forge
Feb 26, 2006
It's really a toss up. Plating on some things works well, and extra wings and engines. It's really a labor of love figuring this out. There isn't just a formula.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
What does everyone make their ships out of at T2? Right now I'm doing chestnut and iron getting ready to try a storm wall.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I really think they need to give up on or severely rethink panels. They are enormous fps siphons and add several years to build and repair times.

Tollymain posted:

the sails can go on the bottom of the boat

landing underneath islands would require a change in shipyard behavior

Upside down sails make you sail backwards btw. It makes zero sense but here we are.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Raged posted:

What does everyone make their ships out of at T2? Right now I'm doing chestnut and iron getting ready to try a storm wall.

Chestnut and iron seems like the very best combination of materials for T1 and T2 ships. I took to making mine entirely out of metals for the stormwall but I'm starting to think material doesn't really matter - if a part gets hit it's hosed anyway. Just have a lot of redundancies, build a ton of wings X for stability and hope for the best

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
So i'm still arsing about solo on the EU West server and having fun refining my ship design. My old layout was a bit big for a solo player to manage so I've trimmed her down little now:

http://imgur.com/a/DTpTO

Design is working well so far... Managed to solo my way back from T4 to T3 in her by the skin of my teeth.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Patch notes up: https://www.worldsadrift.com/blog/closed-beta-0-1-3-0-patch-notes/

Rip OP Pistols. Knowledge points can be spent to increase schematic cap.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The salvaging changes are a blessed relief and will also allow people to be FPS janitors while benefiting themselves. Excellent. Smart change on the heading indicator rarity too, I was going to give up on stormwalls but that indicator will be a big help and give me reason to explore again rather than dying over and over. I thought it was bizarre how useful gadgets for stormwalls required you to have passed then first.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 29, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just saw that you could actually shoot off parts of a ship, possibly an abandoned ship, and then drag them back to a shipyard bubble to essentially steal them. Does it sound like those pistol changes will make that impossible?

Because I will say the idea of getting cool parts through that and checking assemblers to see if someone had something loaded is pretty interesting. I like finding what is essentially a one-use part as I'm leveling up. Gives a good power boost without making the game trivial.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
A few questions

What is the colour of the impassible boundary walls? I figure the storm is the dark grey and sand is brown?

Also how bloody rare is the lifter add ons? Been to 3 T2 areas and have only found one of the two that spawn there.

And last which direction does the sun rise and set?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Raged posted:

A few questions

What is the colour of the impassible boundary walls? I figure the storm is the dark grey and sand is brown?

Also how bloody rare is the lifter add ons? Been to 3 T2 areas and have only found one of the two that spawn there.

Yes.

Bloody rare. It took me several days to find all 3 in T4.

Sun rises in North. Sets in south.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Raged posted:

A few questions

Not sure.

Fairly rare but not insane.

Rises in south, sets in north. Moon is in the west.

FileNotFound posted:

This belief is what put me in the wrong zone my second day.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Salvaging derelicts is brilliant. Pop the frames and all the goodies fall off up for grabs, either to attach or salvage, and the frames themselves are worth a good chunk of metal - usually 150 or so for an average sized ship. One thing you learn is how many ships are made out of lead :catstare:

E: Got 3x 1000 stacks of different metal (Mostly Lead, Iron, Bronze) from cleaning one small island of wreckages. Didn't bother salvaging the decks though, it takes forever and they're not worth anything.

VV Yeah, but you're also getting the extra metal from the components on-board, and wreckages are so frequent that there's less travel time too. It's not going to replace mining or lumberjacking but it's still a very viable way to help you bolt some new poo poo onto your ship.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 29, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Songbearer posted:

Salvaging derelicts is brilliant. Pop the frames and all the goodies fall off up for grabs, either to attach or salvage, and the frames themselves are worth a good chunk of metal - usually 150 or so for an average sized ship. One thing you learn is how many ships are made out of lead :catstare:

Isn't 150 less than you'd get from simply harvesting a few nodes?

Speaking of metals, is there a materials list that ranks them for various ship components?

I would suspect many are made of lead simply for ease of finding material to repair with.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 29, 2017

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Fog Tripper posted:

Isn't 150 less than you'd get from simply harvesting a few nodes?

Speaking of metals, is there a materials list that ranks them for various ship components?

I would suspect many are made of lead simply for ease of finding material to repair with.

http://worldsadrift.gamepedia.com/Metal

Also some pinned spreadsheets in discord.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

xanif posted:

http://worldsadrift.gamepedia.com/Metal

Also some pinned spreadsheets in discord.

Woah holy sperg.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

FileNotFound posted:

xanif posted:

Rises in south, sets in north. Moon is in the west.

:allears:

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Well gently caress. Just logged back in after the patch and my character is back in T1 with my ship and the poo poo ton of metal I had on board nowhere to be seen.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
How large is the patch download? Is it a full game redownload?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

KM Scorchio posted:

Well gently caress. Just logged back in after the patch and my character is back in T1 with my ship and the poo poo ton of metal I had on board nowhere to be seen.

Can you still respawn on it?

If you can't, put in a support ticket and ping one of the Bosa duded on discord. They may help as they helped me when I had this exact issue. They won't recover your ship or anything but they can TP you and just you to T4 real quick.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Fog Tripper posted:

How large is the patch download? Is it a full game redownload?

200mb or so, not a lot.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Luckily my respawner worked in the end. I'd kinda assumed it wouldn't so that was a nice surprise.

Love that the devs are trolling so hard with this unlock 1 extra schematic slot per chunk of knowledge thing haha.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Sums up the current mapping situation in the game from pubbies. One pubbie group steals the left side of the map from lexy, lexy steals the right side of the map from them. Both maps 100% inaccurate.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

KM Scorchio posted:

Luckily my respawner worked in the end. I'd kinda assumed it wouldn't so that was a nice surprise.

Love that the devs are trolling so hard with this unlock 1 extra schematic slot per chunk of knowledge thing haha.

Is it just one slot? Fucks sake, glad I didn't waste my knowledge. It should be like 10 if they're going to up the knowledge amount after buying it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Wonder if it's possible that schematic knowledge puts a ding in their server load. I doubt it given that each schematic is a couple of variables, but you never know.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I don't see the issue with it. Specializing in everything is not specialization.
:shrug:

haven't gotten so far as to need to, but can't you just unlearn things to make room for things you are more likely to use?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

I don't see the issue with it. Specializing in everything is not specialization.
:shrug:

haven't gotten so far as to need to, but can't you just unlearn things to make room for things you are more likely to use?

You can unlearn things. But problem is that people like to keep a variety of schematics - like
"The best T1 wing"
"The best T2 wing"
"The most resiliant wing"
"The most powerful and responsive wing"

"The most powerful engine, the most fuel efficient, etc..."

Now you cannot do that. People end up basically having no more than 2-3 of each becuse with skycore upgrades and instruments your total of available schematics really goes down.

I will be happy to spend 50 knowledge for extra schematics once I am done grinding engines as I've already deleted very good but low tier items to make room.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Right, but is it truly a bad thing to limit what you can retain in your noggin? I mean I get that some people want to be able to do everything, but in a MMO I would see more value in people being more selective with what they specialize in and just communicate with others for the rest and develop trade?

It is a MMO after all.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
I bought this silly game, logged in, immediately spotted a complete dinghy docked at a nearby unclaimed shipyard. Claimed the shipyard, tossed the spawner that was on the ship off to the ground, made my own, and sailed off to the sunset. 10/10

Applied to the Alliance as Crazyeyes. What should I do to start? Just speed around to every island I see trying to find those knowledge data cores?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Just speed around to every island I see trying to find those knowledge data cores?

Yes, getting knowledge seems to be the first step. Also scan things that aren't just knowledge data cores, random stuff gives you knowledge.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I bought this silly game, logged in, immediately spotted a complete dinghy docked at a nearby unclaimed shipyard. Claimed the shipyard, tossed the spawner that was on the ship off to the ground, made my own, and sailed off to the sunset. 10/10

Applied to the Alliance as Crazyeyes. What should I do to start? Just speed around to every island I see trying to find those knowledge data cores?

do that and also, kill people along the way imo

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

quickfingers @ bossa posted:

We have a few ideas to make 1 man ships more functional. Wiring kits so you can rig up any items on your ships to buttons and triggers. This means you could fire cannons while flying your ship from your helm. To make a little 1 man portable attack scout
:w00t:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Raged posted:

A few questions

World borders are dark inside like storm but have kind of a wind-wall white outside, but they end way higher and bloom into large white puffs at the top above maximum ship altitude. Stormwalls are pure coal colored and visually end below cap height so you can see over them before you enter them. Wind walls are pure white and end above cap height, and are the only ones you can see through since they changed world borders. Sand walls are sand colored and not confusing at all.

Pretty rare.

Rises in south, sets in north. Moon in west, and it doesn't move. xanif is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
I am surprised by the forums' lack of anti- "name n shame" rules.