Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Zoe posted:

Parson seems a lot less intelligent when the story is told in a way that he's constantly two steps behind what the readers already know.

The story moved away from Parson being creative and finding loopholes in Erfworld rules towards the loopholes being super-powered agents of their own. He still a creative guy, but the exploits he dreams up are already moving around doing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nimby posted:

The story moved away from Parson being creative and finding loopholes in Erfworld rules towards the loopholes being super-powered agents of their own. He still a creative guy, but the exploits he dreams up are already moving around doing things.

...i swear there's a movie or something where everything you think comes alive as soon as you think it, like an idea is a living creature that grows from a spore that hits the ground like a goddamn ork

wish i could remember what it was.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

...i swear there's a movie or something where everything you think comes alive as soon as you think it, like an idea is a living creature that grows from a spore that hits the ground like a goddamn ork

wish i could remember what it was.

Something like this happens in Hogfather.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Well Claude is dead.

Kinda of sad. It would be a good running joke to poo poo on him constantly.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Curious that Wanda doesn't want to link up. She could so some real damage if she joined the Big Think, but I guess she's got some extremely dangerous secrets she doesn't want to be known.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm actually kind of hoping Claude chooses to off himself here, and if it fucks up their plans in some way even better. I don't really feel like we're on the side of the good guys in situations where a protagonist is forcing the choice of 'die or be assimilated by the Borg' on their own allies.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zoe posted:

I'm actually kind of hoping Claude chooses to off himself here, and if it fucks up their plans in some way even better. I don't really feel like we're on the side of the good guys in situations where a protagonist is forcing the choice of 'die or be assimilated by the Borg' on their own allies.

Wanda isn't the protag, to be fair.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

nimby posted:

Curious that Wanda doesn't want to link up. She could so some real damage if she joined the Big Think, but I guess she's got some extremely dangerous secrets she doesn't want to be known.

It's basically death either way, since Big Think has indicated that Ivan is going to croak when Big Think burns out, although that may take longer to happen if Big Think can keep its juice permanently filled.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I think this is the worst I've ever felt about Wanda.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Reene posted:

Did you read Book 0?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Reene posted:

At this point I wish she had gone to Jillian so Parson could do things again. But she'd take characters I actually like reading about with her (like Jack).
Not Maggie though so maybe that's a bearable loss.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm not totally sure about Jack. His loyalty to Wanda certainly beats any loyalty to Gobwin Knob itself, or to Stanley, but much more competition when it comes to Parson.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Honestly, I liked Wanda back when she was the second in command to less-chill Stanley and not really the 'avatar of Fate' or whatever she claims herself to be now.

I mean the insights on how the undead work is nice, but it seems like Wanda skates by with less effort than the guy who literally is named 'Protagonist'.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Airspace posted:

Honestly, I liked Wanda back when she was the second in command to less-chill Stanley and not really the 'avatar of Fate' or whatever she claims herself to be now.

I mean the insights on how the undead work is nice, but it seems like Wanda skates by with less effort than the guy who literally is named 'Protagonist'.

As she should. It's the lot of the protagonist to suffer and toil for his ending, whether good or bad.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

Did you read Book 0?

Yes.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

As she should. It's the lot of the protagonist to suffer and toil for his ending, whether good or bad.

Fair enough!

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Airspace posted:

How did I never notice this? :psyduck:

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
It is one of the better anagrams I've seen.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Airspace posted:

guy who literally is named 'Protagonist'.

holy poo poo

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zoe posted:

holy poo poo

Parson A. Gotti.

A Protagonist.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wanda has a lot going for her. She's got talent, power, a divinely gifted artifact, and the literal forces that power the universe all lining up to help her, combined with the fact that she'll face-check any risk because she's impossibly self-destructive.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Are they... making Charlescomm the city intelligent like Jed?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Claude's speech makes it sound like Rob is well aware of the direction Erfword's story has taken.

Also, last page Wanda threatened him with "or I will return you to naught". Somehow I'd always missed that particular pun in the name of her magical category ("Naughty-mancy" = wicked, forbidden magic, but also "Naught-mancy" = the magic of nothingness, of not-being).

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

NihilCredo posted:

Claude's speech makes it sound like Rob is well aware of the direction Erfword's story has taken.

Also, last page Wanda threatened him with "or I will return you to naught". Somehow I'd always missed that particular pun in the name of her magical category ("Naughty-mancy" = wicked, forbidden magic, but also "Naught-mancy" = the magic of nothingness, of not-being).

IIRC one of the DeIsaac POV panels referred to her as a Nothingmancer, with her general sort of...emptiness it really fits even beyond the name of her magic category.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

Are they... making Charlescomm the city intelligent like Jed?

Charlie's already tapped into all the cheats, so I don't think they'd give him -that- much of an extra advantage if they did.

If it is loyal to the creator however, that'd be an amazing advantage.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I wonder if Wanda will be able to decrypt Isaac after he dies. Jack seems to have recovered from his link backlash after being decrypted, and it would be interesting to see what Isaac remembers of being the Deiform, and just how loyal a master level decrypted thinkamancer would be.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Prediction Corner:

Closed-loop universe origin stories are all the rage these days, so I bet that they create portal-powered capital towers out of every portal in Erfworld, and then they all stand up and start walking around and try to make a superior world to the one that spawned them and it turns out that the Titans were the same kind of thing.

This has been prediction corner

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This is going somewhere amazing and horrifying and that means it's probably time for a perspective change.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

This is going somewhere amazing and horrifying and that means it's probably time for a perspective change.

i wonder what king trammenis is up to

im sure it is important

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
News post is up.

After tomorrow it's going on hiatus till September.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To elaborate a bit, their colorist's term is up so they're switching to a new one they've had lined up for a while since this wasn't a surprise quitting.
At the same time they're taking the chance for a break and figure out a new schedule because the current pace was proving harmful for life outside making webcomics for everyone involved.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 4, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So tomorrow is the last Erfworld for two months?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

balder is the grrm of webcomics in more ways than I can think of

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
also book 3 is finally over as of three months ago

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

NihilCredo posted:

For all artistic intents and purposes, that aftermath page with Charlie crying, Parson and Jack in prison and Sizemore as the new Chief Caster felt like a true book-ender.

I'm not sure why they didn't officially start Book 4 there and then, but I personally read the story as if they had.

:)

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
nihilcredo status: vindicated

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

lol they're Homestucking us. I guess I don't pay money for this thing so I can't complain.

I don't know how they can say the pacing is a huge problem for them. They update twice a week, the comic is in no way a high-detail draw, and they have separate people doing storyboarding, writing, and inking/coloring.

Maybe my perspective is thrown off by knowing KSBD dude but I'm getting whiffs of more of his bad team management than anything else.

Reene fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 4, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Eh, they've been mostly reliable for a while now and art is a difficult and long process. In fact, adding more people doesn't necessarily mean you produce work exponentially faster since you still need to communicate and work stuff out and that is always going to take longer with a team then just doing it yourself. Especially if Rob and Xin have to work together on storyboarding and there's multiple passes and revisions. In terms of other webcomics I'd say they've been doing pretty decent though in terms of output.

Stuff like KSBD and SSSS aren't the norm and it's not fair to hold them to that since most people on this earth could not produce that kind of output for that long. Also some of the artists known for having the best rate of output tend to get there by sacrificing their health/sleep/family/etc. That's not always sustainable in the long term even if you wish it was.

Not saying they've done everything perfectly but by the way you guys are reacting it seems you think that it's pretty trivial to sustain a comic for a long period of time and it's really not.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Some people just aren't naturally fast at producing content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
It's not like I pay for the comic so I'm not really complaining, and I can also see being a slave to an update schedule to the point that you have to put off things like, your own wedding as being trying in the long term.

I just would have rather known about this a little in advance instead of 'you get tomorrow and then you're cut off'.

But, internet being what it is, maybe nerds would have reacted more poorly and with more whining if he'd done that. I guess I'll survive two months though, I'm pretty sure I've waited almost that long between OOTS updates, many times.