Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Cicadalek posted:

I think that MaA + 3 damage dealers is probably the way to go for the Baron, preferably ones that can buff themselves. I took a MaA+PD+GR+Hellion, but I lost the PD after she resisted about 5 deathblows. I had her dose up the Graverobber every turn, which along with the trinkets lead to something ridiculous like +143% extra damage on her attacks. But I think ultimately something like a bounty hunter or highwayman for ripostes would have been bettter. Man at arms sat in the back buffing dodge constantly.

I guess maybe this is one boss where the leper would be useful. Use Revenge on your buffing up turn, then just murder the frontmost egg and corpses until the Baron is in front. BUT the Baron has a pull move which he can use three times a turn so if anything gets pulled ahead of the leper he's poo poo outta luck.

I have to say the encounter seemed a bit lazy. Giving a boss three moves AND strong AoE attacks AND lifedrain just seemed like overkill, and made the fight difficult in a way that wasn't particularly interesting. The no-healing part I could kinda see being interesting, but the way it's implemented actually really cuts down on your options. The way it doesn't just prevent healing but locks off ANY skill with healing in it fucks over a lot of classes. Vestal can't use Judgement, her primary ranged attack, because it heals. Hellion can't buff herself because the buff has a tiny heal on it. PD can't cure bleeds. The flagellant I can only guess is turbofucked?

I'm enjoying the expansion otherwise. The crimson curse mechanics are a bit shallow but at least the new trinkets are cool.

Did you not realize that you can destroy the red pods to unlock healing?

Even then, the Baron doesn't deal unmanageable damage; I went through 2 of his phases without having to heal anyone, and the highest level member of my team was the Vestal at level 4. If he's dealing too much damage, dedicate an Occultist to hitting him with a Weakening Curse or bring lots of antidotes and bandages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

White Coke posted:

Will the Baron and other CC bosses heal if you leave their dungeon?

You have to retreat from the fight to leave the dungeon, so when you re-enter you'll be just outside the boss door and you start the whole fight over.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Did you not realize that you can destroy the red pods to unlock healing?

Even then, the Baron doesn't deal unmanageable damage; I went through 2 of his phases without having to heal anyone, and the highest level member of my team was the Vestal at level 4. If he's dealing too much damage, dedicate an Occultist to hitting him with a Weakening Curse or bring lots of antidotes and bandages.

I figured that out after the first attempt, but the problem is if the Baron pops out of the first egg you break you now have to break 3 more eggs before you can heal, while he is all the while spamming you with 3 attacks/turn. If you break more than one egg at a time you're also looking at up to 3 enemies attacking on top of that.

I don't know if I was unlucky or what but his attacks didn't seem all that manageable. They don't do much damage individually but they crit me a lot, and he also focused down my PD with his single-target attack. Wouldn't weakening curse fall off pretty quickly on an enemy with 3 turns? It's not that useful if you can't stack it.

I think a vestal with +healing trinkets would be able to outheal him, but she won't be able to contribute much damage since judgement is locked off, unless you put her in front for mace bash.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Cicadalek posted:

You have to retreat from the fight to leave the dungeon, so when you re-enter you'll be just outside the boss door and you start the whole fight over.

I figured that out after the first attempt, but the problem is if the Baron pops out of the first egg you break you now have to break 3 more eggs before you can heal, while he is all the while spamming you with 3 attacks/turn. If you break more than one egg at a time you're also looking at up to 3 enemies attacking on top of that.

I don't know if I was unlucky or what but his attacks didn't seem all that manageable. They don't do much damage individually but they crit me a lot, and he also focused down my PD with his single-target attack. Wouldn't weakening curse fall off pretty quickly on an enemy with 3 turns? It's not that useful if you can't stack it.

I think a vestal with +healing trinkets would be able to outheal him, but she won't be able to contribute much damage since judgement is locked off, unless you put her in front for mace bash.

The Baron was not a challenge for me. Vestal/Plague Doctor (stab and stun build)/Highwayman/Flagellant worked well enough that I didn't need to consider healing until the fight was well into it's third phase. I'd just pop a cocoon, kill what came out, and moved onto the next one. The one time I had to heal I just killed the rest of the cocoons and spent a turn getting people healthy.

Maybe you were just unlucky.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does "ancestor's vintage" and "rat carcass" work on characters in the hamlet

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Digirat posted:

Does "ancestor's vintage" and "rat carcass" work on characters in the hamlet

I'd like to know this too because I want Reynauld and Dismas to survive. Can you get multiple rat carcasses?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Man, the Cartographer's Guild in the districts gives a really good buff. It basically adds more Loot/Scouting/Surprise chance across the torch spectrum, effectively making utter blackness ++++Loot and +++Crit chance.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 28, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hannibal Rex posted:

The most assholish RPG employer thing I did in DD was to get rid of someone's Love Interest, because it was cheaper than curing them of their Deviant Tastes. That really drove home the point that I'm not much better than the ancestor.

:batiatus:

you don't love her!

you love fish

electroshock capacitor whines

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Highwang posted:

Man, the Cartographer's Guild in the districts gives a really good buff. It basically adds more Loot/Scouting/Surprise chance across the torch spectrum, effectively making utter blackness ++++Loot and +++Crit chance.
Does it give bonuses in the Crimson Court, since bloodlight counts as radiant?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Node posted:

I found a secret room in his level, and I thought that it was going to be a nice bonus of gold. Instead I just rescued some lovely Vestal that I don't need. Can I sell her off to slavery or something?

She was lovely? When I found a crusader he was resolve level 3 with fully upgraded armor and skills, seems like a pretty nice freebie

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The baron is hard, but I'm ok with bosses being hard again to be honest

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

The Baron was not a challenge for me. Vestal/Plague Doctor (stab and stun build)/Highwayman/Flagellant worked well enough that I didn't need to consider healing until the fight was well into it's third phase. I'd just pop a cocoon, kill what came out, and moved onto the next one. The one time I had to heal I just killed the rest of the cocoons and spent a turn getting people healthy.

Maybe you were just unlucky.

He is significantly harder if he pops out from the very first egg you break, but like I said I'm ok with losing a few characters in the name of new content

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
SHY NUDIST GRRL was the first Legend to get infected. I'll never dismiss her though. :colbert:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Ersatz posted:

Does it give bonuses in the Crimson Court, since bloodlight counts as radiant?

Just jumped into the Viscount's mission. Nope.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why are Lepers bad? My Lepers tend to do more damage than anyone else I have bar Highwaymen and Flaggelents.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Love it when Hearthstone players play Darkest Dungeon and get all smug and comfortable:

(croc boss spoiler)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwZoUBLpCBs&t=2894s
"Heal self... or stun? Stun would be pretty good right now."

His MAA didn't have defend or stun. :psyduck:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jedah posted:

Love it when Hearthstone players play Darkest Dungeon and get all smug and comfortable:

(croc boss spoiler)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwZoUBLpCBs&t=2894s
"Heal self... or stun? Stun would be pretty good right now."

His MAA didn't have defend or stun. :psyduck:

I'm really glad that the game got a popularity surge because it's hilarious to see how bad popular streamers are. MOONMOON in particular is trash, but I still love him

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

precision posted:

Why are Lepers bad? My Lepers tend to do more damage than anyone else I have bar Highwaymen and Flaggelents.

The common complaint is that they are slow, inaccurate, can't do anything in the back two rows, and don't have a lot of synergy with the rest of your team.

But with the changes to Intimidate they've gotten more useful. Intimidate can target any position, reduces prot and damage of the target, and marks the Leper so enemies focus on him and not your squishy allies. His CC trinket set is pretty decent and you can either build him to be a tanky meat mountain or damage powerhouse.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i...

hmm.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Cursed Flagellant is so confused.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

A lot of leper hate is a holdover from when the game was Early Access because lepers were absolute poo poo back then--they used to have even worse accuracy and their base damage wasn't even as high as it is now. That said, they still have a couple problems.

The most obvious one is accuracy--they're the lowest accuracy class in the game by a good margin. This is almost a non-issue early on because you can fix their accuracy problems with skill upgrades, but higher level enemies are hard enough to hit that there just aren't enough upgrades to keep up. It's still not a huge issue because you can fix it with trinkets. Buuuut lepers are also slow as gently caress, and you just don't have enough trinket slots to fix their accuracy and their speed at the same time.

The bigger problem, and one that's much harder to fix, is that they're really inflexible. They can't do anything if they get shuffled into the 3rd or 4th position, they can't easily get back into position. They also only have one attack that can hit past the first 2 enemies, it's very weak, and it requires them to be in the very front position only (also, up until last week's big update they couldn't touch the back rows at all.) Back row enemies are almost always squishier than front row enemies and are often arguably nastier, so focus firing the back line tends to be more effective than spreading your attacks out or beating up on the front rows, which often have tough to kill but less threatening tank type enemies. Again, this isn't as big a deal in low level dungeons because it's easier to just manhandle the whole enemy group, but as you start to face tougher enemies that you can't casually murder it starts to become a problem.

The other issue is that the front positions are some really valuable real estate, especially now that flagellants are in the mix too. They've gotten enough buffs to be usable--they'll demolish apprentice level dungeons, and they can be fantastic against bosses that park in the front rows--but they're nowhere near as useful as some of the other frontline classes like hellion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, I forgot about Hellion, my Hellion is my MVP pretty much.

What's the best use for Antiquarians? They seem... not good.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well, you use them for making money. they are deliberately the second-worst class for a reason, although unlike the jester they are able to get people off death's door and provide actually useful buffs

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
Another thing I've found with Lepers is that they can't stun the ranks that they can hit, which other frontliners can do (MAA, Hellion, Crusader) which is nice to have while you're waiting for the rest of the party to clean up the backline.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pierre McGuire posted:

Another thing I've found with Lepers is that they can't stun the ranks that they can hit, which other frontliners can do (MAA, Hellion, Crusader) which is nice to have while you're waiting for the rest of the party to clean up the backline.

Yeah, this is a big part of why hellions dunk so hard on lepers. Not only can hellions hit the back line hard, barbaric yawp is also a great way to manage the front line if the rest of your party is built to handle the back.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

well, you use them for making money. they are deliberately the second-worst class for a reason, although unlike the jester they are able to get people off death's door and provide actually useful buffs

If you haven't bothered with antiquarians because their skills are so bad: every combat you win with an antiquarian in the party, and most treasure curios you open using an antiquarian selected, will randomly give you a special 500 or 1250 gold treasure. The special antiquarian treasures have extremely generous stacking, and antiquarians additionally allow you to carry more gold coins in a single stack, so in addition to generating extra loot they also help you carry way more loot.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

precision posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Hellion, my Hellion is my MVP pretty much.

What's the best use for Antiquarians? They seem... not good.

you open every curio with them and get special junk trinkets to sell. they are deliberately pretty much dead weight in combat, but they turn a short mission into an easy 20-25k gold.

they've got some pretty hilarious trinkets, including one that gives her +50% damage vs Blighted, so there's some synergy with plague doctors if you're in the ruins or cove. but it's still +50% to garbage

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are you implying that buffing everyone's speed, accuracy and crit is not useful because uhhhhh

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Digirat posted:

Are you implying that buffing everyone's speed, accuracy and crit is not useful because uhhhhh

are you using a mod? she only buffs dodge

edit: I am very stupid and I will leave this here as a testament to that

to give this post some sort of value, here is a clip of moonmoon using pro-tier strats against the Prophet https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstemiousCovertPrariedogWutFace

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 28, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think I must be totally clueless because Jester seems decent to me. Being able to heal a ton of Stress while keeping the last enemy stunlocked with a Plague Doctor seems pretty useful for Short quests.

edit: they should really patch in a "quickstart campaign" so you don't have to do the tutorials every time you start a new realm. Turning off Tutorials should just drop you at town at "first real quest" stage

precision fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 28, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that riposte prophet kill has been posted like 4 times now and every time it's posted it makes my day

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The jester scales poorly into level 5 dungeons because he can get 100->0'd by many things, and all of his attacks that aren't finale do low damage. He's also a pain in the rear end to work around if you want to use him to his full potential, because he has to move around a lot. However with the performance hall you can do close to 50 damage with one finale without a crit, he has the best and most reliable stress heal in the game, and he has a good buff.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you get the Performance Hall Finale is really really strong. I like the idea of the Jester being useless just because it's funny to me, but in all honesty he's worth it now. I'm not sure whether I prefer Solo or Dirk Stab for the Finale reset, I think I'd probably favor either depending on the party composition. He's very flexible with being shuffled, which every goddamn courtyard enemy seems to do all the time.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

The thing a lot of people seem to be missing about the Baron is that his enforced discipline is not just an attack it's also a buff he uses on the enemies that pop out. So, if you take a PD or someone along who can stun/dot all you do is pop the eggs with blight grenades and watch as he wastes actions buffing soon-to-die or stunned allies of his while you focus him down with your straight damage dealers. Also, the Baron isn't guaranteed to pop out of the first egg as far as I can tell because I had a round where he didn't come out first.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Antiquarian is hardly good but she's not as terrible as I thought she would be. Nervous stab does garbage damage but can be used from the back rows and hits the first 3 positions. So the Antiquarian can almost always hit most of the enemies. If all you need is some minor damage to finish off a weakened monster, she can do that. Her heal is low but in a strong comp it can let you get away with not bringing a real healer, assuming everyone else is doing tons of work. Its main use is to just get people off death's door though.

The best way to get actual damage out of the Antiquarian is to use her with the MaA or a Highwayman with riposte. You can have the Antiquarian use her guard skill on them. Not only will they get a pretty big defensive buff but now riposte is active on two spaces, significantly increasing the odds of it proccing.

Ithle01 posted:

The thing a lot of people seem to be missing about the Baron is that his enforced discipline is not just an attack it's also a buff he uses on the enemies that pop out. So, if you take a PD or someone along who can stun/dot all you do is pop the eggs with blight grenades and watch as he wastes actions buffing soon-to-die or stunned allies of his while you focus him down with your straight damage dealers. Also, the Baron isn't guaranteed to pop out of the first egg as far as I can tell because I had a round where he didn't come out first.

This is such a weird approach to a boss fight though. Part of me was wondering if it was beneficial to leave his minions alive but I assumed he would stop wasting buffs on them after doing it once.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Jester Is Fine. Unless you are playing 100% full darkness, the Jester's only real big problem (low HP) could also be laid at the feet of a ton of classes people dont whine about nearly as much. Occultist being the big one, but similar issues to the Graverobber and Highwayman. ALL the low HP guys suffer in full dark, but they are super viable outside that arbitrary difficulty.

Even the Leper is viable, but with the game getting yet another class, and roster space so limited, you really gotta debate whether having even one is worth it. And unless you're fuckin around, it ain't.

Leper Is Bad. He stands out as having a lot of cool attributes, but put them all together, and none of those things **Actually Matter**. Being able to kill the front ranks is the lowest drat bar, and his durability does not make up for the punishment he allows to get meeted out to his team mates. The holes in his kit are things that are going to be important in nearly every single combat.

Sure he punks on some wiener cultist... slowly, after they've already had a chance to act. Because the Leper is barely faster then the Crusader. Meanwhile, the rest of your team fights the real threats in the backline, effectively a man down. The Leper either forces you to begin fights focusing on the (much) lesser threats, OR be forced to split your damage up, which is the least effective way too fight.

Leper has to build for ACC, where other guys can just take some ACC and then build for damage. Some +25% slayer ring pretty much closes the gap in one of the only areas the Leper was good in.

I'm not saying they're unusable, but I am saying they are the worst class in the game, like, by a ton.

Edit: like it blows me away that you got people going 'I like the Leper', then two posts later saying how half there roster is in stress treatment and this game is a grind and unfair. Sorry buddy, you just fell into the Leper Trap.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 28, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've had pretty good use out of the Jester thanks to the finale/solo combo and stress heal. Even with the debuff from solo, finale does respectable damage and I just ran him with 2 highwaymen and the antiquarian with both highwaymen set up with point blank and advance. I killed the swine king no problem although I forgot about Riposte so Wilbur ate dirt in round 2 and I won with 3 guys at deaths door.

Jester honestly seems fine now and I wonder if he wouldn't be amazing with the crimson curse and bloodlust.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Cicadalek posted:

I have to say the encounter seemed a bit lazy. Giving a boss three moves AND strong AoE attacks AND lifedrain just seemed like overkill, and made the fight difficult in a way that wasn't particularly interesting. The no-healing part I could kinda see being interesting, but the way it's implemented actually really cuts down on your options. The way it doesn't just prevent healing but locks off ANY skill with healing in it fucks over a lot of classes. Vestal can't use Judgement, her primary ranged attack, because it heals. Hellion can't buff herself because the buff has a tiny heal on it. PD can't cure bleeds. The flagellant I can only guess is turbofucked?

You can heal in that fight. When all eggs are gone, heal abilities come back online. Vestals aren't good in that fight, but other healers can do pretty well.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Jester: sorry guys I'm gonna use this crazy high damage attack, nuke some high damage or high stress guy, then get to move, for free, for follow up stress heal and buffs that synergies with later round clean up and healing. I suck :(

Leper: *misses* i'm da bes

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

according to the spreadsheet this is exactly the joke i did against the jester on june 9th, 14:37, but worse. now i gotta go chug laudanum to dull the vicarious embarrassment.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

lepers and jesters can both be trash. there are plenty of trashcans to go around.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the leper is powerful, and good. he's even a better musician than the jester

*trills flute @ u*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

according to the spreadsheet this is exactly the joke i did against the jester on june 9th, 14:37, but worse. now i gotta go chug laudanum to dull the vicarious embarrassment.

hmm...

weak, feeble dogman: hurr durr all i do is consistent damage from anywhere on the team, act as a dodge-tank, stress healer, and the second-best stunner in the game

strong, powerful, handsome jester: check out my vestal-level damage and my antiquarian-level armour, bitch. no-one prolongs a fight as much as me; alpha strikes are for pussies who can't handle a little bit of stress and damage. you stay at home while the big boys get slain instantly with no recourse by a cosmic horror, achieving less than nothing

poo poo he's right