Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
My favorite part of monster hunter is building Brown gear in moncrap. It's the most fun you could possibly have with a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

check out the latest smilies :oh: :great:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Monster Hunter is a grind game, sorry but it's true. I must've killed about a hundred Diablos in Tri without getting the 0.01% drop item I needed to complete my set which made me stop playing forever. With MH4U I stopped playing because my crew way outleveled me and then it's not fun for either party to play together at that point

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

If I ever played these games solo I would last about 5 minutes because nothing is explained in detail

ya the in game systems are mostly explained no where it's really terrible. theres a little bit about stats on armor and how u need +10 per skill in there a little bit, but fundamental crap like how damage works or how some moves have a hit of armor that gives you invincibility is explained nowhere, so you have to look at reddit/youtube/discord/whatever. its freaking stupid.

that said i played thru mh4u up thru part of grank and and mhx eVery village quest even the egg carry quests and the hunter guild [multiplayer] quests a lot of it solo for hundred[s] of hours because i have autism.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Liquid Drink posted:

My favorite part of monster hunter is building Brown gear in moncrap. It's the most fun you could possibly have with a game

actually the gear is pink, or blue.

Soral
May 30, 2009

In Training posted:

check out the latest smilies :oh: :great:

:yeah:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's absolutely a grind game, the first time I tried it I got a ways in and thought "ok it's like diablo but instead of right clicking on skeletons for five minutes and seeing what drops I'm fighting a dinosaur for twenty minutes and seeing what drops." so I stopped playing.

Then a while later I thought about it in those exact terms again and realized that I wanted to play that so I did and it was awesome. The grind is real tho and if you don't enjoy the moment to moment gameplay you shouldn't play it. Which is true of all games.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Monster Hunter 4U is extremely good. It's not a terrible thing for a game to require a bit of research. The core gameplay is amazing and while there are times when you think you'll never get the item you need it's bound to happen eventually if you work towards it. Chances can be as low as 1% for drops but you can typically get more chances at a specific item by breaking the right parts on the monster, cutting tails, grabbing shiny drops and capturing the monster if need be. Really the worst part of the game is anything involving gathering/mining and they've already made steps towards improving that in Generations. Monster Hunter is good.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

Monster Hunter 4U is extremely good. It's not a terrible thing for a game to require a bit of research. The core gameplay is amazing and while there are times when you think you'll never get the item you need it's bound to happen eventually if you work towards it. Chances can be as low as 1% for drops but you can typically get more chances at a specific item by breaking the right parts on the monster, cutting tails, grabbing shiny drops and capturing the monster if need be. Really the worst part of the game is anything involving gathering/mining and they've already made steps towards improving that in Generations. Monster Hunter is good.

the information should be in the game. drop rates should be in the game. some kind of basic weapon tree should be in the game. some explanation of skills that conveys more information than the sentence that they get should be in the game. armor points should be explained in the game. a bunch of other crap that isn't explained in the game, should be explained in the game. either put it in a text dump somewhere or figure out how to teach the player like a 1-1 mario level. theres 0 good reason to have to look at kiranico and gaijin hunter for basic information when it could be in the game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I agree 100%

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Damage numbers seem like a step towards being more transparent so maybe we'll see some of that stuff in World.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

Damage numbers seem like a step towards being more transparent so maybe we'll see some of that stuff in World.

i'll turn off the number becasue i'm against numbers flying off of the head due to borderlands 2 ptsd [start laffing to hard thinking about claptrap dubstep

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

i'll turn off the number becasue i'm against numbers flying off of the head due to borderlands 2 ptsd [start laffing to hard thinking about claptrap dubstep

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Dude, cutting tails/breaking heads/capturing only adds a minuscule % chance to get the item. Suddenly that 1% drop turned into a whopping 5% drop and the fight took 4 times as long. Awesome. Why are most MH fans so reluctant to admit this is bullshit

Like the games are fun for a while sure, but as soon as your gear needs those drops I'm done with it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In what game does doing any of that make hunts take 4 times as long? I'll admit to not playing very much solo monster hunter but in groups of 2-4 it's rare that we don't break the parts that we need to. You're still damaging the monster by breaking its head and claws or cutting its tail. If you don't want to fight monsters multiple times in this game then I hope MH World accommodates you with a robust arena mode or something.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i'm hoping they get rid of rathian's retard charge, and any other retard charge style moves. thats what i hate the most. oh yeah and wind pushback

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

i'm hoping they get rid of rathian's retard charge, and any other retard charge style moves. thats what i hate the most. oh yeah and wind pushback

I hope there's not a single Drome in World.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i wnt them to get rid of artisan nd make sharpness+1 values th default. maybe same with attack+

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

the information should be in the game. drop rates should be in the game. some kind of basic weapon tree should be in the game. some explanation of skills that conveys more information than the sentence that they get should be in the game. armor points should be explained in the game. a bunch of other crap that isn't explained in the game, should be explained in the game. either put it in a text dump somewhere or figure out how to teach the player like a 1-1 mario level. theres 0 good reason to have to look at kiranico and gaijin hunter for basic information when it could be in the game.

it's more important for every NPC to have ten thousand paragraphs of dialogue/cat puns that no human being will ever read

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

it's more important for every NPC to have ten thousand paragraphs of dialogue/cat puns that no human being will ever read

yes

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

meow you're talkin

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Playing it at the moment and getting the number feels

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

numbers flying off head is one of the best visual goomba stomps but this is understandable

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

to be fair, it is

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The Milkman posted:

numbers flying off head is one of the best visual goomba stomps but this is understandable

its a good way to tell if a game is absolute poo poo, like that western sprite art indie run n gun game that was billing itself as contra/metal slug styled but had number flying off the head

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

its a good way to tell if a game is absolute poo poo, like that western sprite art indie run n gun game that was billing itself as contra/metal slug styled but had number flying off the head

Coincidentally it also copied the shittiest parts of monster Hunter (grinding a level over and over for rare drops) for no reason and Made them worse

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

What game?

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Mercenary Kings

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Yup what a god drat disappointment that was

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

I feel so vindicated, none of the ppl i spoke to believed me it was loud trash

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Mercenary Kings seemed promising really early on but they slowly kept adding stuff like Borderlands resistance stats and loot and MonHun grinding and it sucked to watch it unfold :/

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ArfJason posted:

I feel so vindicated, none of the ppl i spoke to believed me it was loud trash

i did not want to believe

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Surge has numbers flying off the head but it's a dark souls clone so its good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh for sure Larry

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Every jrpg has numbers fly out the head

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think the numbers are good, but the MH games did give you a vague hint through the particle effects (weak spots would produce huge gushes of blood).

still I love seeing big numbers. also i finally had time to watch the gameplay with a dude translating everything and honestly it seems loving awesome lol im hype

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im as well, since I will play with friends who have PS4s but not 3DSes and have always wanted to get into MonHun. A noobeh squad adventuring into the wilderness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

extremebuff posted:

i think the numbers are good, but the MH games did give you a vague hint through the particle effects (weak spots would produce huge gushes of blood).

still I love seeing big numbers. also i finally had time to watch the gameplay with a dude translating everything and honestly it seems loving awesome lol im hype

I prefer seeing small numbers. 2, 3, and the like.

• Locked thread